Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The decision was biased against Verstappen because it wasn't consistent with their decisions throughout the weekend, it had not been enforced up until that point and his line was not faster than the standard line, it just looks like he took avoiding action mid pass and went over the kerbs... For sure you can see why he got penalised, that is clear, it's just not following any consistency.

F1 is regularly like that though, very little consistency when it comes to track limit enforcement.. Verstappen was the victim of a subjective decision to enforce a rule that could have easily gone the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I've had a look at the video. I don't know what Sainz could be penalized for in this case.
    Same as Verstappen, 4 tyres over the white line, you need to have some rubber still on the racing surface (within the white line).. Of course the way they enforce this in F1 is very loose.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-10-24 at 08:49 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Why would 4 tyres over the white line get you penalized?
    Because it's outside the defined racing track limits? Those are the basic rules of racing, you can find a more detailed exact description in the regulations... How they enforce those limits is the issue being discussed, which is usually based on whether the driver gained as a result of going outside limits. Other racing series have it just clear cut 100% if you go outside you get penalised, and sometimes the defined limits to what is considered outside of the track is also a lot stricter.

In Motorsport as a whole F1 is one of the most lenient when it comes to track limits, specifically when it comes to enforcing them. In the case of the Sainz picture he has all 4 tyres on the kerb and beyond the white lines that define the racing surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    The decision was biased against Verstappen because it wasn't consistent with their decisions throughout the weekend, it had not been enforced up until that point and his line was not faster than the standard line, it just looks like he took avoiding action mid pass and went over the kerbs... For sure you can see why he got penalised, that is clear, it's just not following any consistency.

F1 is regularly like that though, very little consistency when it comes to track limit enforcement.. Verstappen was the victim of a subjective decision to enforce a rule that could have easily gone the other way.

Same as Verstappen, 4 tyres over the white line, you need to have some rubber still on the racing surface (within the white line).. Of course the way they enforce this in F1 is very loose.
    Yeah, I'm not annoyed at the penalty itself, but rather the arbitrary way that the penalty was assigned that was inconsistent with the application of the track limits laws over the weekend.

Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately leave the track without a justifiable reason.
    Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not.
    Should a car leave the track the driver may re-join, however, this may only be done when it is safe to do so and without gaining any lasting advantage. At the absolute discretion of the race director a driver may be given the opportunity to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track.

Well these are the official rules and it seems quite clear what it means to have 4 tyres off the track.
    Given your conversation above, it seems like this is based in the Sainz argument of no penalty. Sainz absolutely went off track with all 4, albeit right after he completed the pass. I suppose it's debatable whether or not they consider that he gained an advantage because of it. Personally, I don't think he and Verstappen's situations are apples to apples. Verstappen directly used the off track area to pass, while Sainz did not (again, used after the pass). And no, I'm not a fan of the Verstappen penalty either, but both situations weren't the same.

To those saying Vettel did the same--yes, he had all 4 off track in the first corner. Everyone who watches F1, however, knows that a lot of liberties are given during that 1st corner of the race. Not apples to apples at all. If the rules were uber strict in the 1st corner, we'd have penalties every single race. And, similar to Sainz, he was off track after he completed the pass.

Whom and when did Sainz pass??? :SSS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0pasFV1_k

30 seconds in, proceeded by him going off the track with all 4.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you watched P1,2 and 3 and the qualification and the race you should know that in corner 19 every car has gone over the curbs with 4 tyres and multible drivers have stated it was a difficult corner so i can understand that the FIA let it pass, I still think the penalty max got was the right decision.

Ricciardo had some issues with getting the tyres working and the setup that they didn't get fixed in time, dunno about Raikkonen but it's not surprising for him to slow as he's been inconsistent for years.

YES. COME ON SEB!

Championship still ain't over yet!

Nice to see both Renaults in Q3 again though. Sainz really is proving his worth there right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Ricciardo had some issues with getting the tyres working and the setup that they didn't get fixed in time, dunno about Raikkonen but it's not surprising for him to slow as he's been inconsistent for years.
    Verstappen also had an issue with the tires, says it was partially the reason why Q3 didn't go nearly as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vettel should have gotten a penalty for that stupid mistake. And poor Nico again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laffling View Post
    Vettel should have gotten a penalty for that stupid mistake. And poor Nico again.
    What mistake?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hitting Ham, Vettel has been bad at wheel to wheel driving most of the 2nd half of this season.

Hitting Ham, Vettel has been bad at wheel to wheel driving most of the 2nd half of this season.
    That was in no way deliberate or intended lol.

Why should he have been given a penalty for a racing incident?

Welp Championship over but still two good circuits to go.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-10-29 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it wasnt intended but he could've avoided it just sloppy driving from him again.

Deleted
    too bad this crazy Kid Verstappen decided this Year with his stupid reckless driving.... A few Years earlier and he would have killed someone already

Vettel deserved to Win this Year, but hey... what you gonna do against a Kid on a Suicide Mission ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    too bad this crazy Kid Verstappen decided this Year with his stupid reckless driving.... A few Years earlier and he would have killed someone already
    You call out Verstappen but not the 4 time champ Vettel?

Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post

Vettel deserved to Win this Year, but hey... what you gonna do against a Kid on a Suicide Mission ?
    What?

What exactly did Max do lol?

If you are referring to Singapore that was on Vettel for being way too agressive in defending. Sure he was unaware Kimi was coming but still.

And this is coming from me who is a longtime Seb fan.

- - - Updated - - -

You call out Verstappen but not the 4 time champ Vettel?
    Baku being a prime example. Not the Safety Car thing but ramming into his side after. That was out of order.

15+ Year Old Account
    Congratz to Hamilton but here in the netherlands they wont speak about him they will only speak about Verstappen and i goddamn hate it not because of Verstappen but because they talk about him in a way that hes already among people like Schumacher and Senna they kinda talk about him like Lavar ball talks about Lonzo LOL.

People think im crazy that in dutch and that im not cheering for Max but i dont care im a Ferrari fan so everything that aint red can drive into a wall for me, ive been watching F1 since 1997 and most of the so called F1 fans that come from the netherlands only started watching since Max came into F1 and so i label them "succes fans"
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-10-29 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Congratz to Hamilton but here in the netherlands they wont speak about him they will only speak about Verstappen and i goddamn hate it not because of Verstappen but because they talk about him in a way that hes already among people like Schumacher and Senna they kinda talk about him like Lavar ball talks about Lonzo LOL.
    I would most certainly not compare him to Senna or Schumacher yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I would most certainly not compare him to Senna or Schumacher yet.
    You should hear them here on dutch tv lol they carry him on hands, oke i understand we have never had a dutch driver that was actualy good but cmon cheer for others a bit.