Build of the Month Question

I've been trying to figure out why the Intel SSD 600p drives are so inexpensive, and I really can't. They more than triple the read speed of the suggested Samsung SSD, have significantly longer projected life, and come at a lower price point.

Additionally, for any system with a 7th gen or higher intel core processor, the Optane memory modules are boasting some massive performance gains for a very small price. Paired with a 550mb/s drive, the Optane drive should massively increase the load times of your most commonly-used programs (if you aren't utilizing the above Intel SSD 600p that has higher base read times.)

They are pretty slow at certain tasks and inconsistent for Nvme drives other then beeing cheap they don't have much going for them.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1254...00p/page8.html

Quote Originally Posted by Narabug View Post
    I've been trying to figure out why the Intel SSD 600p drives are so inexpensive, and I really can't. They more than triple the read speed of the suggested Samsung SSD, have significantly longer projected life, and come at a lower price point.

Additionally, for any system with a 7th gen or higher intel core processor, the Optane memory modules are boasting some massive performance gains for a very small price. Paired with a 550mb/s drive, the Optane drive should massively increase the load times of your most commonly-used programs (if you aren't utilizing the above Intel SSD 600p that has higher base read times.)
    Its the old Pro that is replaced by the cheaper 850 with the grey square.
    So its just outdated or a mistake, the newer 850s is cheaper as the M.2 P600.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2017-10-29 at 06:11 PM.

Eh too many people hate on the 600p. If you compare it against a drive that costs 150 dollars more sure it looks bad, but if you compare it against a price competitive sata drive like the 850 evo it absolutely destroys it.

600p is an awesome product for its price point, it was on sale other day for 299 for 1tb version, 860 evo from samsung is 450.

If the choice is between a 850 evo and a 600p, the only reason you should ever pick the samsung drive is if you dont have an m.2 slot, but nearly every motherboard produced in 2017 has one.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-10-30 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    If the choice is between a 850 evo and a 600p, the only reason you should ever pick the samsung drive is if you dont have an m.2 slot, but nearly every motherboard produced in 2017 has one.
    You are comparing a Sata drive to an Nvme drive which on some benchmarks can only keep up with Sata drives, does it make it a bad drive no, does make it an underperforming drive but you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    You are comparing a Sata drive to an Nvme drive which on some benchmarks can only keep up with Sata drives, does it make it a bad drive no, does make it an underperforming drive but you get what you pay for.
    Ummm of course i am comparing it against a sata drive, why in the world would you compare it against a drive costing much more money?

Its not competing against a 860 evo, its competing against the 850.

Also in reads (which is a far FAR more important factor for a consumer drive) it absolutely murders a sata drive. There literally is no reason to consider a sata ssd with intel 600p existing.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with @Fascinate.

The 600P is a drive that is good for its price point as a nvme. if your a pro writing a ton of data to it, then no, your ass should be using a much better nvme. If your just a average user the 600p is a good drive for read performance and worth the money, the article linked above is a reason why it has its price point, that doesn't mean its not better than a sata ssd in reads. Its $45 more than a evo (sometimes less), and the reads are pretty good and a much better warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I have to agree with @Fascinate.

The 600P is a drive that is good for its price point as a nvme. if your a pro writing a ton of data to it, then no, your ass should be using a much better nvme. If your just a average user the 600p is a good drive for read performance and worth the money, the article linked above is a reason why it has its price point, that doesn't mean its not better than a sata ssd in reads. Its $45 more than a evo (sometimes less), and the reads are pretty good and a much better warranty.
    The problem is it's only cheaper in larger capacity versions, due to cheaper memory used. If you're building a midrange gaming system you're not buying a 500/1000 GB SSD, and a good SATA SSD perfomance is still plenty for a gaming system, especially as a secondary drive (and that's the usecase most people who buy larger SSDs for their extensive gaming library fill). Performance gain is nice to have, but you dont need it.

On the other hand, if you really need that read performance you're comparing it with other NVMe drives, where it fails miserably, despite being cheaper.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B