Poll: If they announce legacy would you play them?

10+ Year Old Account
    PS. Personally, I 100% absolutely hate the idea of making legacy servers. That would mean that the developers should always keep in their minds the legacy server and focus less on the real servers and the development of the next expansion/patch. Yes, I would feel like it's something Blizzard made for the people that can't get over the fact that times change and a game cant stay the fucking same for 2 decades, but I would get over it after a while. And no, I wouldn't play for more than a week in a legacy server.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    I mean it was a smart play from Blizz if they really don't want to do Legacy realms. Show some interest in the former server they shut down, say the right things about wanting it to be something they do and then do nothing. What happened in the meantime? Well I mean you can easily see that the demand for Legacy has gone down. There aren't popular E-celebs shouting about it. There are no petitions. The people behind that shut down server aren't in the spotlight anymore. Even the fledgling media attention the story got is long gone. Most people moved on after it.
    This reminds me of one of the endings when you encounter 'The End' as Naked Snake
    You receive 10 points if you get the reference!

Quote Originally Posted by pinelakias View Post
    PS. Personally, I 100% absolutely hate the idea of making legacy servers. That would mean that the developers should always keep in their minds the legacy server and focus less on the real servers and the development of the next expansion/patch. Yes, I would feel like it's something Blizzard made for the people that can't get over the fact that times change and a game cant stay the fucking same for 2 decades, but I would get over it after a while. And no, I wouldn't play for more than a week in a legacy server.
    My sentiments aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    This reminds me of one of the endings when you encounter 'The End' as Naked Snake
    You receive 10 points if you get the reference!
    Hah sorry, but I never played any Metal Gears after the ones on the NES and the Playstation's 1st one.

PS. Personally, I 100% absolutely hate the idea of making legacy servers. That would mean that the developers should always keep in their minds the legacy server and focus less on the real servers and the development of the next expansion/patch.
    Boy, you must hate Heartstone, Heroes of the Storm, Diabolo, Starcraft I AND II and Overwatch then. Next to those, having some dev team working on WoW classic must be a drop in the bucket.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Uhm source on that please?

Not kept upto date with RS much recently
    http://www.misplaceditems.com/rs_tools/graph/

Oldschool Runescape ended up with more players than RS3.
    My guess is that something similar would happen to WoW. But is just a guess...if it wouldn't happen i guess at least it would be topic for discussion everyday on the forums "Legacy VS Retail"

A reddit thread on the subject:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/c..._more_players/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Hah sorry, but I never played any Metal Gears after the ones on the NES and the Playstation's 1st one.
    Aww, too bad. MGS is my favorite gamefranchise of all time. The story is just so amazing. Anyway, The End is a very old sniperboss. One of the methods to dispose of him is to shut down your console and come back after a week or so and he would have died of old age. See the reference now? ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Boy, you must hate Heartstone, Heroes of the Storm, Diabolo, Starcraft I AND II and Overwatch then. Next to those, having some dev team working on WoW classic must be a drop in the bucket.
    Those are actual decent to good games though and serve a different kind of audience. Blizzard is more than world of warcraft alone.
    Last edited by Ladyoftheforest; 2017-10-30 at 05:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think that Blizzard is going to hire a NEW team for the legacy servers, you must be new. Welcome to the World of Blizzard.

Why would blizzard need a dev team dedicated to something that's already developed?

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    In what logical world re-tuning four old raids would be more work that re-coding an entire MMO's worth of apparently lost content? That just doesn't make sense at all - the scope of the goal alone dictates that it would be less work.
    Then it's a good thing I never said that, right?

The "nothing prevents Blizzard" argument I made was in direct response to a person posting whose argument was that Blizzard hadn't done it yet and therefore it wasn't going to be done. Where's the discussion to be had (this is a forum after all) when someone takes that line of argument?
    Except that wasn't his argument. His argument practically mirrors mine, both in regards to re-tooling raids and implementing legacy servers: too much work for apparently little reward.

If you think that Blizzard is going to hire a NEW team for the legacy servers, you must be new. Welcome to the World of Blizzard.
    So, they didn't hire a new team for any of those other games then?

- - - Updated - - -

Those are actual decent to good games though and serve a different kind of audience.
    WoW Legion is a great game. So is Wow classic. Both serve a different kind of audience, although just as with those other games, there will be some people playing both.
    Last edited by HuxNeva; 2017-10-30 at 05:58 PM.

Aww, too bad. MGS is my favorite gamefranchise of all time. The story is just so amazing. Anyway, The End is a very old sniperboss. One of the methods to dispose of him is to shut down your console and come back after a week or so and he would have died of old age. See the reference now? ^.^
    Hah that is a pretty dark way to beat a boss but yeah that lines up perfectly with the kicking the can down the road story I gave about this situation from Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they did hire a new team for the new games. But in case you didn't know, a company would never hire a new team for an older project. They would use the same devs they are currently using for the real version of World of Warcraft. That's just the way it works, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbeerboy View Post
    Why would blizzard need a dev team dedicated to something that's already developed?
    You've never worked in software have you?

Deleted
    As a Metal Gear Solid fan you should understand better than anyone else what "time" does to a franchise...

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

WoW Legion is a great game. So is Wow classic. Both serve a different kind of audience, although just as with those other gales, there will be some people playing both.
    Wow classic was a great game for that time. Not sure how 'good' it is in 2017 when you look at it objectively. But fun is not quantifiable so I guess it can still be a fun game in 2017. Just my opinion though.

No, they did hire a new team for the new games. But in case you didn't know, a company would never hire a new team for an older project. They would use the same devs they are currently using for the real version of World of Warcraft. That's just the way it works, unfortunately.
    WoW Classic would be a new project. You can bet it would have a dedicated team, even though that team might initially be small.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    As a Metal Gear Solid fan you should understand better than anyone else what "time" does to a franchise...
    My 300+ hours spend in MGSV does not follow you..
    Last edited by Ladyoftheforest; 2017-10-30 at 06:06 PM.

Wow classic was a great game for that time. Not sure how 'good' it is in 2017 when you look at it objectively. But fun is not quantifiable so I guess it can still be a fun game in 2017. Just my opinion though.
    I could never play it at the time, as I started in Wrath. I only discovered it through private servers. It is a great game, also today, and very different from 'modern' WoW, which I like as well.

Deleted
    My 200+ hours spend in MGSV does not follow you..
    But you understood i was talking about MGS5 for some reason.
    Good game, still not a "Metal Gear Solid".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Then it's a good thing I never said that, right?

Except that wasn't his argument. His argument practically mirrors mine, both in regards to re-tooling raids and implementing legacy servers: too much work for apparently little reward.
    At this point we pretty know that there's people who like Legacy servers and people who don't. One of the arguments is full-fledged Legacy servers are too much work, so I proposed what I thought was a cool way to incorporate Legacy concepts into Live servers - a compromise. You responded by saying that's too much work too.

It seems like, to you, anything would be too much work, so what's the point of discussion then? Instead of talking about the pros and cons of tuning old raids to let people play them in a challenging way, or some other alternate to Legacy servers you seem to be just dismissing the suggestion out of hand because it relates to Blizzard allocating resources to Legacy content.

The argument that Legacy costs too much to do, which none of us are actually in a position to say because we don't make decisions or work for Blizzard, is only in the same vein as "it's not currently implemented, therefore Blizzard would never do it." Blizzard has lots of money - they certainly have the money to implement Legacy, if they ever wanted to, in whatever fashion they saw fit. They could do so without affecting any of their other games in any way, because they have the money to do so. It seems to me that whether Legacy is worth it financially or not is entirely up to them, and no one else. As such it doesn't make for a particularly good argument.

I'm not here to argue, I'm here to discuss. If you want to just shut everything down immediately because you think it's a waste of time then there's really nothing to discuss. To be honest I'm not sure why you'd want to be part of a forum where nobody actually discusses anything.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-10-30 at 06:34 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.