Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Ok, we get it... you prefer:
    - faces with eyes just drawn on them
    - 2d over 3d

this itself speaks volumes.

If you consider the braindead stare our characters did before a iconic feature... then yes, that was lost. Luckily so.
    No I don't prefer painted on faces and the like. What I do prefer however, is the notion that my characters could look and feel the same as they always did, just with graphical improvements. Blizzard could have approached this in a number of other ways that reflected both efficiency and quality. Instead they waste time going from the ground up, crafting faces and animations that are unrecognisable. To this day there are still incorrect eye colours on various faces.

I'm all for new and improved models, but ultimately what Blizzard produced is a hastily made disappointment (In line with the rest of WoD really). Even if it was over the course of many months, I believe it would be best if they touched up the models to a quality standard. I'll leave these videos as more evidence of poor animations:

Night Elf Male - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSGjkSEWueg This was AFTER they changed it from it's initial 6.0 version. Still undeniably different.

Blood Elf Male - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-K_5Ef-SjA Around 22s in you can see he runs like a hunch-back. My god, even the breathing is stiff. The walking looks great though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrizon View Post
    No I don't prefer painted on faces and the like. What I do prefer however, is the notion that my characters could look and feel the same as they always did, just with graphical improvements. Blizzard could have approached this in a number of other ways that reflected both efficiency and quality. Instead they waste time going from the ground up, crafting faces and animations that are unrecognisable. To this day there are still incorrect eye colours on various faces.

I'm all for new and improved models, but ultimately what Blizzard produced is a hastily made disappointment (In line with the rest of WoD really). Even if it was over the course of many months, I believe it would be best if they touched up the models to a quality standard. I'll leave these videos as more evidence of poor animations:

Night Elf Male - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSGjkSEWueg This was AFTER they changed it from it's initial 6.0 version. Still undeniably different.

Blood Elf Male - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-K_5Ef-SjA Around 22s in you can see he runs like a hunch-back. My god, even the breathing is stiff. The walking looks great though.
    I don't see the problem with either of those... they are elves... they always behaved like they have a stick up their arse, the new animations just reflect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft has always been the worst MMO in the market when it comes to character customization. I hope the next expansion has something in store for us. Doesn't have to be Skyrim/Sims level of character customization, but something other than just hair and 10 face options would be welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I don't see the problem with either of those... they are elves... they always behaved like they have a stick up their arse, the new animations just reflect that.
    I hope you're joking... The male night and blood elven running animations were probably the smoothest and closest animations to real life running. The motions of the arms, legs, torso and head looked concise and dynamic, pretty fantastic considering WoW's engine at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    If we look at League of Legends and other such games, over the years there have been massive graphical improvements.

But with WoW it looks fairly similar to when it first was developed. I get that they want to go for a certain artstyle but some of the textures in particular look like a game from the ps2/xbox era.

Shouldn't Blizz give this more attention? It no doubt is a major factor why new players don't bother trying the game out.
    Try to estimate the amount of time it takes. Then multiply this number by 5000 because you have absolutely no idea how gigantic of a task this would be for a game like WoW.

Every xpack has better graphics than the previous one, that's pretty much all they can do. To answer your question directly: No, Blizzard should not give this more attention. People are willing to pay for the game as it is and the very few people who don't play only because of the graphics in old zones are not worth spending all this time and ressources to revamp everything.

No there's no visual quality slider they can just pump up.
    No it's not a checkbox to click in to make everything look better.
    No it can't be magically solved by an engine update or some sort of software shenanigan.

League had to change ONE MICROSCOPIC map. and then they're changing heroes one by one, extremely slowly. It's one of the game with the least imaginable content, so it's not a big job for them. WoW is a very different story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Most likely. They posted once or twice in the thread and then just left it.
    I replied like 6 times. I can't reply to every post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    You mean a Old world update?While im not agaisn't considering the uproar the community would do if the world would to be changed again.I don't think is a good idea.

Also, just look at the last 3 expansions.They updated the character models, made weapons, maps, objects, itens, mounts, pets and everything else with good models and textures.
    Even say Dalaran. Compare current Dalaran to the old one? Is it really up to standard? If you're gonna re use a city then at least make sure it looks acceptable for 2017 standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I think they're good. The faces at least now look more natural to me, and there's actual expression. When my character uses the "Orb of Deception" toy he now has actual lips instead of having teeth for lips, as well as no longer having a derp face:
    Fair enough, if that's what you think. This picture though just furthers my belief. Eye colours are obviously different, nose shape, eye shape and head shape are very unlike the original. He no longer appears to have that dark shading around the eyes and the two fangs look less sharp and more akin to small tusks.

I think the idea of the lip/no lip thing is that original was supposed to be scowling and baring teeth (like an aggressive canine would). I doubt that the bottom row of teeth were accidents in the model's design (and yes I know they wanted emotion to be displayed through emotes rather than 2d faces but still).

All I'm saying is that if I were advertised upgraded models that are supposed to retain the heart and soul of the old ones, effectively looking identical except for newer textures and what not, then logged in and saw that replacing the same character I made, I'd be disappointed.

I play wow for the way it looks. If they overhauled the game to make it look something like Tera or FF 14, I would stop playing. I like the art style of games like Wow and Wildstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    The new character modells looks like shit i only say human male running...

Sadly they scrapped the option to use the old models for yourself entering Legion.

I play with old character models, there's an option in the graphics advanced.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rootbeerboy View Post
    I play with old character models, there's an option in the graphics advanced.
    Didn´t they removed that option?

I barley remember a threat where this was discussed (and where i participated) but i will looking for that if you´re right thanks in advance.

I hope you're joking... The male night and blood elven running animations were probably the smoothest and closest animations to real life running. The motions of the arms, legs, torso and head looked concise and dynamic, pretty fantastic considering WoW's engine at the time.
    I am not seeing it. The new models look better in almost every way except for some hairstyles.. I can't even play on the old models anymore.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2017-10-30 at 06:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, if that's what you think. This picture though just furthers my belief. Eye colours are obviously different, nose shape, eye shape and head shape are very unlike the original. He no longer appears to have that dark shading around the eyes and the two fangs look less sharp and more akin to small tusks.
    Let's break this down, shall we?
    Eye color: yeah, they're different. But in my opinion? Better. Why? Because now it no longer looks like my orc has dead eyes.
    Nose shape: Nothing much to say. I just think the new model one looks more believable.
    Eye shape: Same thing as color. It now looks like real eyes.
    Head shape: It now matches the body. I always though like having a muscle-bound body but the head of an anorexic person (notice the sunken cheekbones on the old model) really didn't match.
    Teeth: Judging from how long they are, I believe they were always supposed to be tusks, and only looked sharp due to the low polygon count and low resolution textures from old models. I mean, look no further than WoW's original into cinematic, and you'll see those teeth are supposed to be tusks, not fangs.

I think the idea of the lip/no lip thing is that original was supposed to be scowling and baring teeth (like an aggressive canine would). I doubt that the bottom row of teeth were accidents in the model's design (and yes I know they wanted emotion to be displayed through emotes rather than 2d faces but still).
    Except the model never looked like he's scowling. Look at his eyebrows: they're raised, not creased in scowling. Like I said, it looks more like the orc is going "duuuuurrrrr....." than anything else. All you need is the drool from the corner of his mouth and you have a perfect look. The new model actually like he's scowling.

All I'm saying is that if I were advertised upgraded models that are supposed to retain the heart and soul of the old ones, effectively looking identical except for newer textures and what not, then logged in and saw that replacing the same character I made, I'd be disappointed.
    I still think most still look faithful to the original, and I knew from the get-go some would look a bit different due to fixing a few inconsistencies (derp face, ahoy!) and because the face would have to be tweaked to be able to show different emotions.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account
    I replied like 6 times. I can't reply to every post.

- - - Updated - - -

Even say Dalaran. Compare current Dalaran to the old one? Is it really up to standard? If you're gonna re use a city then at least make sure it looks acceptable for 2017 standards.
    Then you should have seen that your point was struck down in fairly short order.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Let's break this down, shall we?
    Eye color: yeah, they're different. But in my opinion? Better. Why? Because now it no longer looks like my orc has dead eyes.
    Nose shape: Nothing much to say. I just think the new model one looks more believable.
    Eye shape: Same thing as color. It now looks like real eyes.
    Head shape: It now matches the body. I always though like having a muscle-bound body but the head of an anorexic person (notice the sunken cheekbones on the old model) really didn't match.
    Teeth: Judging from how long they are, I believe they were always supposed to be tusks, and only looked sharp due to the low polygon count and low resolution textures from old models. I mean, look no further than WoW's original into cinematic, and you'll see those teeth are supposed to be tusks, not fangs.

Except the model never looked like he's scowling. Look at his eyebrows: they're raised, not creased in scowling. Like I said, it looks more like the orc is going "duuuuurrrrr....." than anything else. All you need is the drool from the corner of his mouth and you have a perfect look. The new model actually like he's scowling.

I still think most still look faithful to the original, and I knew from the get-go some would look a bit different due to fixing a few inconsistencies (derp face, ahoy!) and because the face would have to be tweaked to be able to show different emotions.
    Paragraph 1:

- Hmm. I'm not sure what colour has to do with the 'life' of the eyes.
    - The nose just looks too large in my opinion.
    - I also believe you could attain suitably real eyes without changing the shape.
    - Sunken cheeks are actually a masculine trait, separate from muscularity/body size (although most certainly correlated with body fat
    percentage). It's primarily due to wide, flanged zygomatic bones and strong cheekbone projection along with an equally wide, forward
    grown jaw/mandible. The protrusion of the mandible along with the width of the zygos 'stretches' the area or distance between the cheeks,
    thus causing less buccal fat to be allocated throughout the cheek and adding a lean, angular concave look.
    - I checked out the cinematic and could barely make out any features of the orc, so I have no comment.

Paragraph 2:

I still feel like the eye area of the original looked naturally angry due to the downward arch of the brow bone as well as large, piercing, red eyes. Nonetheless, even if they genuinely did have to change the eye and mouth areas, there was no need to be so drastic.

Paragraph 3:

Maybe some, even then I'm not so sure/or convinced. Ironically enough, the new faces tend to portray less varied emotions across the different face selections, due to Blizzard being unable to program significant changes to each potential facial feature (the same face problem some people are concerned about).
    Last edited by Larrizon; 2017-10-30 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felrane View Post
    They have updated. They haven't updated older content though. Textures could be upgraded but currently there is no reason since older content isn't made relevent.
    I'd love to see all the old iconic weapons of vanilla remade for the current age. Keep all of the original flavor, just high quality.

This is dangerous but...

*whispers*

If they ever did legacy servers, I'd want it to be fully updated graphics wise...

...Don't hurt me for bringing this up lol

It no doubt is a major factor why new players don't bother trying the game out.
    Cuphead, a game in the style of 20s/30s cartoon animation, sold so well for an indie game with no marketing.

"Old graphics" should be the last of your concern. As long as the game doesn't look like super-early 3D games (N64, PS1, early DS days, fucking Bubsy 3D garbage), no one should not be trying something due to graphics. You're an idiot if you actually do that.

So tired of graphics causing people to (not/)buy games.

Quote Originally Posted by SpellCleave View Post
    This is dangerous but...

*whispers*

If they ever did legacy servers, I'd want it to be fully updated graphics wise...

...Don't hurt me for bringing this up lol
    Bruh, I'd want updated QoL features added myself, like Transmog and AoE looting, especially if they're trying to get a subscription for a game made in 2005 that won't get any updates outside the initial launch.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Because WoW is running on a 13 years old engine. Its not that easy to simply make WoW looks like Witcher 3. Switching to a new engine will be like recreating the whole game and that wont go well. (check Destiny 1 > destiny 2) Also imagine how many people wont be able to run the game if they do that.

Yes they really should modernize the graphics if they intend to move forward, it looks like horse shit by modern standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Because WoW is running on a 13 years old engine. Its not that easy to simply make WoW looks like Witcher 3. Switching to a new engine will be like recreating the whole game and that wont go well. (check Destiny 1 > destiny 2) Also imagine how many people wont be able to run the game if they do that.
    I mean the biggest hurdle with updating the engine is alienating a huge amount of your players. I for one would NOT continue to WoW 2 if they made me lose my Transmog, Mounts, Achievements, etc stuff I've done. I DO NOT want to start from scratch all over again because that would mean the last 12-13 years I spent just vanishes overnight. No thanks.

Not to mention, would it even be worth the time and resources spent? This isn't necessarily something you can just bounce back from, like Titan to Overwatch (which I'm sure is still suffering quite a loss; you don't scrap a multi-year project and not have a huge loss from it), which simply got lucky and stuck. Making a sequel MMO though, there'd be no turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Yes they really should modernize the graphics if they intend to move forward, it looks like horse shit by modern standards.
    Modern standards are stupid anyways and will come at a huge cost of performance.

Granted, if they actually put the performance issue on your GPU instead of CPU then I'd be all for it (since WoW right now mostly runs off your CPU which is old school and stupid), but still, why do you need better graphics? WoW has been fine for awhile now and I don't see the need to improve it at the cost of who knows what (possibly add an extra year or so to the end of an expansion or some shit).
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account

You can still some old race model as options and Tauren got huge changes.

I used the pumpkin and Argus as reference, this was screenshot just now.

The game is still using the same graphical style on it's models, which is 100% intended.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-10-30 at 07:26 PM.