GameStop Announces Rental Program That Sounds Pretty Great

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ga...source=twitter

ntroducing GameStop PowerPass.
    As digital games continue to grow in popularity, retailer GameStop is adding a new subscription service offering to encourage people to choose physical games and head into brick-and-mortar stores. The retailer has announced game rental program that sounds like a pretty solid deal.

GameStop PowerPass, as it's being called, is a program launching this holiday that lets you play as many pre-owned games as you want for six months. For $60, you can pick up any pre-owned game and return to the store to swap it out for a new one as much as you want for a period of six months. At the end, you can choose any game to keep.
    PowerPass can be bought as a gift, though be aware that the recipient will need to have a PowerUp Rewards account, though this free. Sign-ups begin on November 19.

GameStop has a massive catalog of second-hand games, so odds are you'll be able to find what you're after. It remains to be seen if there are any restrictions, but we'll report back with more details as they come to light.

Do you plan to try out the PowerPass program? Let us know in the comments below!
    Value wise that sounds amazing to be honest.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Boy EA ain't gonna be happy with this.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Boy EA ain't gonna be happy with this.
    Nope, If it stays the way its detailed that's quite a value.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

It sounds like you have to return the games in store. If that's true then it's completely useless to me. I get to Gamestop maybe 2-3 times a year. It's not worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    It sounds like you have to return the games in store. If that's true then it's completely useless to me. I get to Gamestop maybe 2-3 times a year. It's not worth the drive.
    Ya it sounds like it will work like blockbuster did back in the day. But with the benefit of owning a game after 6 months.

Funny enough I am a 5min walk from a Gamestop, So this would be great for me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    This, all about the convenience factor now days. Don't see this taking off like they are hoping. Plus the $60 upfront seems kinda steep maybe make it like $10/month then get rewarded a free game after you been with them for 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by timtim89 View Post
    This, all about the convenience factor now days. Don't see this taking off like they are hoping. Plus the $60 upfront seems kinda steep maybe make it like $10/month then get rewarded a free game after you been with them for 6 months.
    If you want a monthly payment plan + convenience then just do gamefly...

If you can get a semi new release(or a Nintendo games as they simply don't lose value) that is valued at 45-55 bucks at the end of it you basically paid $10 for 6 months of game rentals and $50 for a game.

Of course I don't see it staying like this for long, give it a year tops before gamestop starts putting value limits on the game you can keep.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is Gamestops death walk. Honestly, I would be surprised if Gamestop as a whole even existed in 10 years time now that people are going digital over conventional physical mediums. Sadly, this will not stop its decline into irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    This is Gamestops death walk. Honestly, I would be surprised if Gamestop as a whole even existed in 10 years time now that people are going digital over conventional physical mediums. Sadly, this will not stop its decline into irrelevance.
    Digital is barely making up 30% in best case scenarios on consoles(even lower for Nintendo and single player games). It might be the "future" but the future isn't coming any time soon.

When you see those buzz charts showing "digital" being near 50% of revenue remember they include PC sales as well as micro transactions and DLC. Full games are still mostly bought physical on consoles, not even close.

The reason gamestop is in decline is not because of the digital boogey man but the fact they offer inferior prices(both for sale and trade values) to their main competition in Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart. Bonus to not having to hear an unfortunate employee forced to try to be a car salesman on you by corporate. Gamestop in general just isn't worth dealing with, you pay more and/or get less and get annoyed in the process. The only time gamestop is worthwhile is a few times a year when they have an actual good trade promotion going on.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-11-01 at 06:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly if you'd asked me 5 years ago if Gamestop would be around today I would have laughed and said no...but they're surprisingly tenacious...like a cockroach.

I honestly think all this preorder bullshit has kept them afloat. Gamestop usually gets some sort of Gamestop-exclusive preorder bonus crap, and the console fanboys eat that shit up. Preorder the new "Batman: Arkham Fucktown" from Gamestop and play as Batgirl in a bikini, or some nonsense. I reckon that's been huge for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honest while i would have disagreed i actually kinda agree now. But NOT due to digital. It is due to coporate idiocy

They released an elite membership at 60 dollars PER YEAR that gives bonuses to only used games and points.

Mean while at 30 for TWO YEARS i can save money on all new games at best buy.

Gamestops circle of life helped kill the community feeling at some local gamestops where it used to be pretty chill and non coporate it has been losing that vibe at almost all locations. So their goes the other reason to go in. To meet and socialize with people who share your interest.

Hell even ending REAL midnight launches has had an effect.

But all in all corporate as is usual these days KEEPS FING UP. For every good decision it feels like they make ay least 5 bad ones. And thwt is hurting them in a big way.

Fuck me this is cool. I can play a game, beat it, and then go grab another one. For just 120 a year? And its not digital? and best of all, no licensing restrictions. That bs you get with PS Now, EA access, etc.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-11-01 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Honest while i would have disagreed i actually kinda agree now. But NOT due to digital. It is due to coporate idiocy

They released an elite membership at 60 dollars PER YEAR that gives bonuses to only used games and points.

Mean while at 30 for TWO YEARS i can save money on all new games at best buy.

Gamestops circle of life helped kill the community feeling at some local gamestops where it used to be pretty chill and non coporate it has been losing that vibe at almost all locations. So their goes the other reason to go in. To meet and socialize with people who share your interest.

Hell even ending REAL midnight launches has had an effect.

But all in all corporate as is usual these days KEEPS FING UP. For every good decision it feels like they make ay least 5 bad ones. And thwt is hurting them in a big way.
    socialize with gamers.. top kek lel

Yup, it just delays it. The deal is fine but in the long run it won't be a miracle save.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I assume joking because you'd be surprised how many are up to chat about their favorite games ESPECIALLY at midnight launches

Said by someone on a social internet forum....

10+ Year Old Account
    I've seen that a lot of people claimed this here in south america when the new generation of consoles came in, then came in a rental system for like 12$ month for renting AAA games, and well, it got a fuckton of publicity and people getting the consoles with no games JUST because of that deal. I can tell you that in places where online shopping isn't as common or remains as expensive as retail stores then this solution is quite fucking good.

Release of Super smash bros on 3ds -monster hunter 4U - Pokemon Sun/Moon made me realize there was a fuuuuuuckton of people who were gamers despite not being in gaming forums or being online 24/7, heck i even thought 3ds install base didnt even exist that much here, then talking to people who were evident fans of the games got to know there are certain spots where players gather around and still play despite being online systems in place
    Last edited by barackopala; 2017-11-02 at 03:24 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

It looks like PowerPass died off for now before it even really got started.

Gamestop halts PowerPass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I honestly think all this preorder bullshit has kept them afloat. Gamestop usually gets some sort of Gamestop-exclusive preorder bonus crap, and the console fanboys eat that shit up. Preorder the new "Batman: Arkham Fucktown" from Gamestop and play as Batgirl in a bikini, or some nonsense. I reckon that's been huge for them.
    I think it is also partly due to people being creatures of habit. Some people have just always bought games at gamestop and just continue to do so. Hell, whenever I want to look up the current price of a console game, I always check gamestop's website first just out of habit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    You should check and see if there are any mom n' pop retro game stores near you. I found a really cool one in the Phoenix area that I have been going to for a couple of years now that totally has that chill community vibe. Way better prices than gamestop as well.