Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A question to my US cousins about Denny's.

So Denny's are opening their first restaurant in the UK approximately 50 metres from where I work. Do you guys rate it as a place to get some breakfast? They have said that the menu will be he same as the US.

Give me your opinions please!
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    Will prob be diff over there like most places, but its okay.

Don't expect a Michelin rated meal. If they indeed are not modifying the menu, then it will be an opportunity for you to have an American style breakfast of 'average' quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's good drunk food at 4am, that's about it.

The allure of Denny's is that is open 24 hours, cheap and it is food Americans recognize. It is typical American hearty breakfast. Mostly grease, fat and salt.

For a mainstream breakfast joint, I'd rate them better than IHOP. It's not better than some local diner you've been to, but it's a solid choice if you're looking for a good sized and decent tasting meal. All I can recommend is to get breakfast only. They have lunch and dinner items, but they're known for breakfast so stick with that.

Great food for when you have a hangover, or are still drunk / trying to sober up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers for the replies guys. I'll give it a go when it opens for no other reason than to give it a try and our only other close option for takeaway breakfasts is MacD's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Great food for when you have a hangover, or are still drunk / trying to sober up.
    This sounds like I will be there most mornings before work
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Cheers for the replies guys. I'll give it a go when it opens for no other reason than to give it a try and our only other close option for takeaway breakfasts is MacD's.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds like I will be there most mornings before work
    Let me rephrase a bit: "great" is a relative term, obviously, but I love me some Denny's at 2 AM after leaving a bar. It's worth checking out and good for the price, but as others have said: don't expect a 5-star meal.

It's actually substandard food by any measure. And here's the real thing, it's actually not even as good as it used to be. It was never great, but sometime about 10-15 years ago they changed their meats somehow, and now it is decidedly not very good. I wouldn't order anything that included bacon, sausage, or even ham.

As far as going out goes, I can't really see the point of going out for breakfast unless you have no choice sometimes. It must be the simplest meal to make at home of anything I can think of. You can cook most breakfast meats like bacon, sausage, and ham once a week and then just give them a blast in the micro for daily use. I make bacon and sausage in the oven on a cookie sheet covered in foil, takes about 30 minutes - then they are ready all week long, no significant clean up either. I suppose you could make a whole pan full of bangers similarly, all at once and then clean the one pan. Making the eggs fresh every day takes like 4-5 min. I insist on making my own moka pot espresso anyway, so these things never bother me. If you really had to make some egg dish in advance a veggie frittata is good, or just some basic cheesy, meaty scramble. Go fancy with a quiche. Toast or muffins would likewise be very simple.

Control all the inputs. Eat everything exactly as you like it. Incredibly easy.

"It's just eggs, bacon, beans and a fried slice..."

P.S. Just now realizing you folks eat blood sausage, as do we in my own culture. That is some rich eating that.

Its drunk food. Normally considered on the lower end of quality. The service is normally the worst part, while the food tastes good.

You're only allowed to eat Dennys between the hours of 0100-0700.

Also, you shouldn't be sober.

So Denny's are opening their first restaurant in the UK approximately 50 metres from where I work. Do you guys rate it as a place to get some breakfast? They have said that the menu will be he same as the US.

Give me your opinions please!
    It's open 24 hours, but my drunkest friend could stumble back into the kitchen and cook a better breakfast.

Not sure how it operates, or the quality, over there.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would be aware that most of their breakfast ranges from 1k-1500 calories. Don't eat it too much, please.

First UK Denny's is in Swansea??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    That is some rich eating that.
    Don't forget the creme fraiche...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    First UK Denny's is in Swansea??
    Yeah, I'm not sure of the logic behind that either

As far as a place to get breakfast, I have and would only eat Denny's at 3 AM while horribly drunk.

Look for their tumblr. That'll give you a good idea of what its like to be there are 3am, drunk and hungry.
    But ya, its not bad for a lazy breakfast with friends.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the logic behind that either
    Got one of the drinking capitals of Europe 50 minutes down the line; but maybe they wanted to open a smaller one to test the water before investing in a city centre mega-restaurant (because if its popular with drunks I'm sure it would need a big site :P). Eitherways, hope it works out, I'm often up at 5am, hungry, with money, needing some fresh air but absolutely too baked to bother making my own breakfast, so one opening down here would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Not American, but every time I’ve eaten there whilst abroad I’ve always ended up throwing up my guts.