Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Why type all that up with such a negative context, most of that stuff is what made vanilla good!

What i really dont get is why some people are on a crusade to convince people not to play vanilla, what is your agenda?

10+ Year Old Account
    we don't need reminders anymore do we! wooo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Wait, the game was challenging? You actually had to put some effort into it? Things took time? Community mattered? Things weren't handed to you on a silver platter?

FANTASTIC.
    Challenging? Try tedious for the sake of being a time-sink. Classic was not hard. The current raids are a million times harder than what Vanilla had to offer. The only reason Vanilla raids could be seen as challenging was because of the ridiculous amount of shit you had to do outside of the raid. Don't even get me started on the respawn time for trash between bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another one: you can say "hello" to those, err... sociable crocolisks in the Wetlands. I died quite a few times as a level 16 Night Elf Druid trying to go to Westfall for my aquatic form quest... Yes, because the boat in Auberdine was going to Menethil Harbour instead of Stormwind, which had no harbour anyway. So, if, as a Night Elf, you needed to go to the AH in Ironforge before lvl 24, you had to die. Either between the mandibles of a crocolisk, running down the road in Wetlands, then maybe hacked by a Dragon Maw orc in Algaz, then you could safely go through Loch Modan and Dun Morogh to finally reach Ironforge. Without forgetting to pay a visit to the flight master of each town, of course. Or you could die in some spot south of Menethil Harbour. If you were south enough, you would spawn at a graveyard near Ironforge, where you could rez and get resurrection sickness. Yay!
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwyre View Post
    Challenging? Try tedious for the sake of being a time-sink. Classic was not hard. The current raids are a million times harder than what Vanilla had to offer. The only reason Vanilla raids could be seen as challenging was because of the ridiculous amount of shit you had to do outside of the raid. Don't even get me started on the respawn time for trash between bosses.
    Current WoW isn't hard. Addons tell you exactly what to do and exactly when to do it. The game plays itself for you. Look at the thousands of guilds that complete the 'hardest' mythic content. Like 20 guilds did Naxx 40. Oh, but it was so much easier! You know who says that? Someone who never experienced it.

Deleted
    Current WoW isn't hard. Addons tell you exactly what to do and exactly when to do it. The game plays itself for you. Look at the thousands of guilds that complete the 'hardest' mythic content. Like 20 guilds did Naxx 40. Oh, but it was so much easier! You know who says that? Someone who never experienced it.
    WoW isn't hard, you're right. Vanilla wasn't hard either. It was tedious. Having to drink between killing 2 mobs while questing? Such difficulty. Do you want to know why 20 guilds did Naxx 40? Because 4HM required 8 prot warriors with dreadnaught.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskwyre View Post
    WoW isn't hard, you're right. Vanilla wasn't hard either. It was tedious. Having to drink between killing 2 mobs while questing? Such difficulty. Do you want to know why 20 guilds did Naxx 40? Because 4HM required 8 prot warriors with dreadnaught.
    No, WoW is tedious now. Questing is faceroll. If you die, you should be ashamed and uninstall the game. In vanilla? You had to plan your battles. Look ahead 2-3 mobs. If you aggroed something, you died. Manage your mana, watch your position, kite effectively. If you screwed that up, you died.

But whatever. By all means keep playing ezmode WoW. To each his own. I just can't wait for classic servers.

No, WoW is tedious now. Questing is faceroll. If you die, you should be ashamed and uninstall the game. In vanilla? You had to plan your battles. Look ahead 2-3 mobs. If you aggroed something, you died. Manage your mana, watch your position, kite effectively. If you screwed that up, you died.

But whatever. By all means keep playing ezmode WoW. To each his own. I just can't wait for classic servers.
    That's not really hard more tedious. WoW WAS the casual alternative for games that had hard questing such as FF11 and Everquest which had mechanics piled on top of it such as XP loss on death.

But yeah I'm looking forward to it and Battle for Azeroth. Sadly I think if I want to maintain both games I'm gonna have to give up an MMO for a while. I guess I can give up BDO because I'm really enjoying FF14 and Tera atm.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-04 at 02:38 AM.

Deleted

Have you cleared current content on Mythic?

The RPG in MMORPG is coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by Vraul Jawrip View Post
    The RPG in MMORPG is coming back!
    Nope. It's still an RPG.

Genre doesn't change because you dislike the current iteration of the game. Now how a genre works I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Nope. It's still an RPG.

Genre doesn't change because you dislike the current iteration of the game. Now how a genre works I'm afraid.
    It's really a form of hyperbole being used when I imply that. If you want me to be blunt and specific about it, the RPG element of the game seems to have been lacking for a long time. Vanilla WoW really FELT like you were progressing and had all of these customizable options and were living in an amazing world. For many, this was the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vraul Jawrip View Post
    It's really a form of hyperbole being used when I imply that. If you want me to be blunt and specific about it, the RPG element of the game seems to have been lacking for a long time. Vanilla WoW really FELT like you were progressing and had all of these customizable options and were living in an amazing world. For many, this was the issue.
    And that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. There is no hyperbole at all. You stated an opinion of a game which you are fully entitled to do.

Factually the genre of the game is an MMORPG and has been for 13 years.

Your opinion/disdain of the current game doesn't magically change the genre over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. There is no hyperbole at all. You stated an opinion of a game which you are fully entitled to do.

Factually the genre of the game is an MMORPG and has been for 13 years.

Your opinion/disdain of the current game doesn't magically change the genre over time.
    I never stated it wasn't an RPG. Like I said, it was hyperbolic in the sense that I'm stating I personally feel those specific elements have been lacking. It is still an MMORPG, it has all of the elements of such in some form, and I agree that my opinion is my own and it doesn't change facts. Regardless, I feel that Vanilla WoW and that general era brings that section of MMORPG out in greater form.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    You're so negative.

I can't WAIT to spend hours and hours running up and down Darkshore trying to find near invisible quest items.
    I miss the days spamming chat for literally hours, trying to find groups for Sunken Temple, and then when you all get there somebody pulls out so you have to fly back to the cities again to start the whole process again.

Jokes aside... why would you want to play a game that's built around progression if your progress will always be capped?
    Maybe the reason you had such a bad time was because you struggled to form friendships and relationships with other players?

If you were playing Vanilla and didn't have a Guild or made friends that you could run dungeons with... You were doing something wrong.

My guild was organising UBRS, LBRS, Scholo ,Strat liv/UD runs every single night so people could gear up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeden View Post
    Stopped reading when you claimed Mages played Arance in MC/BWL That was Frost and they do indeed have Evocation.
    You do know that Evocation was a talent until 1.11 right?
    Speciation Is Gradual

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    You do know that Evocation was a talent until 1.11 right?
    I know it was a talent first yes, my main rl friend played a mage, he was really happy when it changed. Still he played Frost before and after, i've mostly played in recent years on the 1.12 client so i guess that clouds the mind to some extent. But i mainly remember seeing Frost mages and barely no Arcane unless they were PvPing.

Man you will all be in for a rude awakening if MC will be cleared when you just hit level 40...

OP here, The majority of the post I actually wrote years ago and just dredged up from a long forgotten directory on my hard drive.

Tomorrow I’ll edit the post to not be quite so salty, that was never the intention.

But my personal opinion is that many vanilla mechanics took many, many more hours to complete than modern mechanics.

I’ll also edit out a bit of my personal special snowflake syndrome. I had a hard time finding Dire MAul groups, doesn’t mean everybody did.

The one thing that was a huge mistake was that new players weren’t notified in any way that the tier sets were only going to be designed for one spec (of hybrids, and DPS???). Paladins in particular were unstoppable killing machines in Diablo 2, in WoW their job was to stand in the back and keep their hands glowy. Although feel free to correct me, just because my guild didn’t accept ferals/rets/shadows/fury/disc doesn’t mean they weren’t viable. ...but I think my guild was mostly right.

One thing I could use from the community though...what were realistic hourly requirements to be prepared for a week of raiding Naxx, chugging a potion every two minutes along the way?
    Last edited by garicasha; 2017-11-04 at 04:50 AM.

I love classic servers happening but this is just cringe worthy to read.

When is the last time you've played any WoW at all? Be it a vanilla private server or modern WoW.

You seem rather out of touch with how either of them are played in current days.
    Last edited by Woobels; 2017-11-04 at 04:50 AM.