Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Snip.
    I'll just quote what was said by Nostalrius regarding WoW's source code

First, they DO have the source code for Vanilla WoW. Code version control systems are not something new, as it has been a standard in the industry for a long time. With these systems, they can retrieve the code at any given previous backup date.

However, in order to generate the server (and the client), a complex build system is being used. It is not just about generating the “WoW.exe” and “Server.exe” files. The build process takes data, models, maps, etc. created by Blizzard and also generates client and server specific files. The client only has the information it needs and the server only has the information that it needs.

This means that before re-launching vanilla realms, all of the data needed for the build processes has to be gathered in one place with the code. Not all of this information was under a version control system. In the end, whichever of these parts were lost at any point, they will have to be recreated: this is likely to take a lot of resources through a long development process.
    So yeah, There's missing files but from the sounds of things they're onto a way to fix that
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Well my point was i dont believe that is the hard part, hard part is gonna come with proper bnet integration and all the other things that are needed for a proper blizz product.

If some randoms can get a game running blizz surely will not have trouble with that part.

My question of the day:

Will Zul'gurub make a return, and with it, the original mounts...? And will items earned on this server be transfered over to current servers?

I hope so, I REALLY hope so, if nothing else than to see the fucks paying 2000 euro (!!) for these mounts from BMAH cry their eyes out!
    Not sure why they didn't allow for SOME time allowing people to ask about their plans on this.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Sure, governments have hired hackers in the past to help improve their systems and security. Nost developers didn't do it to make a profit or scam Blizzard, they just wanted to play a game they loved but couldn't do legally anymore
    That's true, I suppose it wouldn't be sending a message now that the official classic servers are happening. Keeping a private server running and being a Blizzard quality developer however might be a bigger bridge to cross.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Considering the fact blizzard clearly had something planned, that we're now seeing, they probably just wanted to see what Nostalrius did with Vanilla, behind the scenes, so that they could put whatever they learned towards their own efforts.
    That's assuming Blizzard planned this before the meeting, Something neither of us know.

Either way though the project is starting
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    I'll just quote what was said by Nostalrius regarding WoW's source code

So yeah, There's missing files but from the sounds of things they're onto a way to fix that
    With all due respect, that is Nostalrius speculation. Either way stuff is missing. Whether Nostalrius says it's there or not, Blizzard stated they lost the front-end client software.

Call em a liar, but this is all we have to go on. It will need to be re-created, or cannibalized from private servers.

No, they're simply hiring a team of people. I've seen no mention of them being "Vanilla enthusiasts." At best, they're open to working with the folks at Nostalrius but they're not actually working with them right now. They mention this in the Eurogamer interview, saying they would work with them but there would be visa issues and so on (since they're French).
    hmm

"We’re going to hire people specifically for this job, and we’re going to staff it with people who are interested in bringing back Classic WoW in the best, most authentic way," Brack says. "And that’s how we’ll be successful."

SRC:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-how-b...a-wow-servers/

OK they just hire anyone to get the "most authentic way" ..... riiight... :P

- - - Updated - - -

That's my whole point, it's only starting. And it's a huge project.
    I'm just waiting for the name Mark Kern to come up =D

They will release it after the last big content patch of Battle for Azeroth has released to help fill the content gap, everything else will be stupid

Well SC remastered likely proved to them one thing. You can have the before and still have the after. Then monetize it. Not to mention even if it isn't the amount of money a AAA game might bring them it still is better that stream of cash goes to them instead of to a lot of the dirt bag folks that run WoW PRs. I am not saying they are all terrible people but enough stories are about to make it certainly look like a healthy percentage.

I don't think this will take as long as people think. I mean groups of novices people in their free time have come up with pretty realistic Blizz-like servers on worse equipment in a years time. A dedicated staff of a dozen or so people working full time on it shouldn't take any longer. I have no doubt Blizzard has access to plenty of emulated servers knowledge and code and scripts. With that they aren't exactly starting from nothing that shortens that time. Who knows they might even end up having some of those people staffed or the more likely sub-contracted. At least the ones that can be vetted. But we really don't know.

Will they stack the releases? Who knows. I doubt it. But really WHO knows. It could be used to build hype as its out before hand and then it draws vanilla fans back into the new retail or it could be used as a stop gap between expansions to keep interest up. Or even side by side as a feature. All options have their ups and downs.

From a technical point of view we won't see in its original state:

-40 man raiding
    -vanilla itemization
    -vanilla background mechanics (attack table, debuff mechanics, addon support)
    -vanilla talent trees
    -vanilla class balance
    -vanilla honor system
    -vanilla loot system

We will see:

- the original leveling from 0 to 60
    - the original pre quests for raids
    - flexible raid size
    - retuned raid difficulty (changed numbers)
    - enhanced / current loot system
    - enhanced / simplified honor system
    - current background mechanics (simplified attack table, unlimited debuffs, current addon support)
    Last edited by Millyraynge; 2017-11-04 at 03:48 AM.

I don't recall saying they'd get just anyone. But that is literally all they're doing. If I wanted to work at Blizzard and they offered me a position working on bringing Vanilla back, you bet your ass I'd be telling them anything they wanted to hear to get me a job. They're just hiring enthusiastic people. Anyone hired will still only follow what they're told. They're not going to go out and just hire anyone that can write the odd bit of code because they loved Vanilla...
    They hire anyone. Okay ..... ! No credentials, no experience with WoW, no knowledge of Vanilla scripts? OK your hired! /dream

Thanks for the humor

I have a feeling Mark Kern will make an appearance. He was vetting for a job at Blizzard with the shutdown of Nostalrius, which he instigated. I'm loading up on popcorn this month, because I think his name is coming back into the mix.

Jesus fucking Christ. I know getting a legit Vanilla server is your wet dream but try understand what you're reading, ffs.
    Back at ya. Do you really think a triple A MMORPG company will hire nubs? Seriously?

There is no chance it comes out in 2018. None. They released nothing but a trailer today and the trailer was literally just recycled old WoW trailers.

My guess is it comes out about halfway through BFA's life cycle. Late 2019 to early 2020.

Did BFA get a release date?

Some random nerd in his basement throwing something out to play is massively different than Blizzard, a AAA company, throwing the same thing out there..
    At least your statements prove you don't have direct experince with what these "rando" nerds have done. (I know, I know.. you played them all.. did it all.. master of all.. something something). Plus I didn't say they would be the exact same. So all I can take you as is someone that just is salty about not getting to shit on other peoples desires like you had on this subject for a long time. (I know, I know.. I am all wrong.. blah blah). The deal is I really don't care all that much either. Likely won't invest a ton of time on them either. But I am happy for people that get to do what they want. That is what not acting like a dick is like. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    No fucking way this is happening any time soon or within the next year even. There was no timeline released, meaning they have a few people working on it and it will be rolled out when it's convenient for them. This is not a priority, and will not take priority over current game content and future expansions. This requires an entire reconstruction of their old back end which is not as easy as dropping the old patch on a new server. Considering expansions are planned and created YEARS before the announcement, this enormous project was a product of a recent dialogue, and was presented as a nice-to-have side feature. They needed to figure out how to squeeze this in their scope, and it's development will probably be spread out very thinly on top of their current workload, therefore we won't be seeing this for years. This will be a 2019-2020+ feature
    Nah. Beta will probably happen late next year. I'm sure it's harder to make a new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Nah. Beta will probably happen late next year. I'm sure it's harder to make a new expansion.
    So they hire nubs......?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    In the same interview he mentions that the team has already made major breakthroughs regarding the most challenging aspects of recreating vanilla wow.
    Why are you makin shit up son? He said verbatim

"We think we have a way to run the Classic servers on the modern technical infrastructure,"
    And that was to answer the question regarding why this is even happening at all, and why it hasn't happened until now. That's it.

That means they haven't even started developing this yet.

(And still some people here thinks this is 2018? this is late 2019 if not 2020)

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that this will take years. They don't have a clue how long this will take.

Quote Originally Posted by plekz View Post
    Why are you makin shit up son? He said verbatim

And that was to answer the question regarding why this is even happening at all, and why it hasn't happened until now. That's it.

That means they haven't even started developing this yet.

(And still some people here thinks this is 2018? this is late 2019 if not 2020)
    They already have a working build according to the other interview. Only thing that is left is optimization and decide how they are going about re-releasing it (which version, timeline, etc).
    Death to all undead rogues and mages!!!!!