Thread: RIP World PvP

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Too bad it actually is PvP. Player Versus Player. No matter how you look at it.
    Player versus player.

Ganking is active player against an inactive player who can't be arsed to fight a battle they can't win.

Why are people so opposed to this change? It means 100% of those who actually (for reals actually, no fingers crossed) want to participate in WPvP will do it. 100%. Shouldn't you be happy?
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2017-11-03 at 11:56 PM.

if you opt for pvp you will get bonuses... like increase rep gain and xp and who knows what else? If anything, I think is RIP pve cause they will "force" people to opt for pvp to get the most out of the daily rewards... (WQs for example)
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Blizzard should know better by now. You cant force pvp on people. So if the rewards are too great, people will lose their mind and it will get nerfed. My guess is they will be minor upgrades that wont matter in the long run.
    well lets hope so.. the problem is that we get a finite rewards per day/week now, since all rewards are from dailies weeklies. So if we have 30 WQ to do, doing them with pvp on may provide significant more rewards than with no pvp on... Its not like the pve guy can play more and cover the difference... it will be a finite reward each day and we have to wait and see what the difference will be..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Thank you Blizzard, thank you! Hate being ganked while casually doing world quests and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Blizzard should know better by now. You cant force pvp on people. So if the rewards are too great, people will lose their mind and it will get nerfed. My guess is they will be minor upgrades that wont matter in the long run.

Literally you have an option to opt in-out, which *literally* defeats your "forced" QQ

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Born: 2004 Died: 2018 LoL
    ganking != wpvp. End of Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It died a long time ago. Ganking lowbies isn't "PvP".
    This, though that doesn't mean that ganking should have been removed. Kudos to anyone who flags for PvP while leveling now that it's optional.

Overall it will make the game better, but at the same time, people who signed up for it can no longer participate in it. Double edged sword.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    What you mean to say is Rip Ganking. Now you will have to fight people who actually want to be fought.

Good luck.
    So much this
    Well played blizz.
    Hope to see reward system.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphano View Post
    Literally the opposite of improving wpvp?? Where is the logic
    when you're flagged for PVP, you'll be sharded in with other people who are flagged for PVP. To incentivize doing this, they're adding rewards to world PVP.

Everyone wins, and PVP servers are now superfluous. Welcome to shards.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Like I said before, this is part of the experience. PvP realms doesn't mean people just gank each other for hours instead of doing their daily routine. It's just that PvP sometimes happens and you have to be mindful of it, so it adds a bit of spice to the game.

Expecting zone-wide spontaneous battles like there used to happen in Hillsbrad and STV is unrealistic in a game this age. If they want World PvP, there has to be constructed gameplay with rewards and objectives. The Legion towers were bad because they only provided half of the incentive. In order for WPvP to work properly, you need to have tower quests + something like the Talon's Vengeance rep that targets the opposing side specifically. Bring one side to the location with a quest, and give the other side a different kind of reward for killing players there.

As it was implemented though, Talon's Vengeance was very restrictive, because:

1: It was locked behind a max level pet battle quest chain.
    2: It was rather hidden.
    3. It punished you more severely from dying than the other guys.
    4. It turned you hostile to everyone, so it was always more efficient to kill your own faction while doing your own tower quests or the FFA ones (and maybe even more than that to farm the kills in Ashran and BGs).
    I think I agree with you. There needs to be objectives, and certainly an opposing force could create a situation where your friendly NPC's left for a while (I'm not familiar with how wpvp worked in Legion specifically). Offense should mean something, successful defense should also mean something.

This sort of thing is how players themselves develop noteriety outside and beyond the scope of guilds, which is (arguably) important in MMO's. That's probably another topic though.

I've always believed wPVP to be grossly underutilized in this game. The intiial premise of the game was built around an intense dislike of the opposite faction. You have large bodies of water, rivers, geographical vantage points, flying mounts, ground mounts, boats, ballista, capital cities, outposts, auction houses, at one point isolated economies etc... everything is basically blueprinted for one of the most entertaining power struggles one could ask for in an MMO, yet it remains a sideshow at best.

From what I could tell flagging yourself for pvp will put you in a phase with everyone else flagged for pvp so if anything you should get more fights and more balanced fights too since it’s easy to automate the number of people in each faction entering a specific phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am personally excited about this. I was going to return and abandon my previous mains and two servers I was on because I had originally joined these servers for playing with other people. It felt shitty to me, but I hated not being able to quest without being repeatedly ganked by higher level people and camped. That's not fun PVP by any means at all. Now I can just clean up all my chars from when I last played (MOP) instead of having to re-level everything. Maybe now, I can actually enjoy wPVP since there are incentives and other people will also have it toggled that want to ACTUALLY wPVP the right way. And I can also try to enjoy questing again, instead of sitting and waiting for queues while leveling a DPS class until I die. This is a great solution, and really the only people I can imagine that will continue to cry are those that enjoyed sitting around ganking lowbies because that's somehow fun and a great use of time.

Alex was talking in a wowhead interview on how they could now expand this to a point where the more time you spend in enemy zones, they could put bounties on your head and opposite faction members could see you on the map...

I have never been a fan of being ganked, but this looks like it could be a ton of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    Born: 2004
    Died: 2018

LoL

all servers are now carebear
    I thought flying killed World PvP?

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Aktavite View Post
    I thought flying killed World PvP?
    No, BGs were the original and true World PVP killer.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Deleted
    We might get bounties and get shown on the map ! If rewards worth it I think this might work.

I'm glad of this hopefully it'll keep those bloody auto-flag areas out of the world as well.
    When I was younger I used to hope bad things wouldn't happen.
    Now I just hope they're at least funny when they do.

I imagine the only people mad about this change are gankers and really really bad PVPers in general who can't really hack it dealing with competent PVPers.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

this change should indicate very well how many people are actually interested/willing participants in wpvp, assuming pvp and pve phases will be split, pvpers should be happy with this, as literally everyone will be fair game. And if wpvpers only got enjoyment out of ganking/griefing unwilling participats, then wpvp might just aswell die alltogether..

Quote Originally Posted by Hendawgg View Post
    I don't play PvP for the rewards (pretty sure i stated this a few posts back), i play it because it's fun.
    Same, but no risk/reward is not fun to me. I have to have something on the line, something to lose and the guy im fighting has to have something for me to gain or there is no adrenaline kick. Like back in UO when you spent a half hour in a dungeon and then encountered a player and had a fight, all the loot you got for the last 30 minutes of dungeon crawling was on the line, not to mention the rest of the gear you arrived with. Now that got the heart pumping.

Wow? Whats the worst thing that can happen? You die. And lose nothing. How mellow.

Sorry but wpvp in wow has always been shit and if you find it fun its because you've never experienced what world pvp with proper risk/reward is.