Deleted

World pvp was never a thing and vanilla was a hell

World pvp never existed in the first place.
    It was either a rogue miss using mechanics and one shotting people without even gear equiped, a gank fest in southshore or a random dude with a higher level killing you in stranglethorn.

And alot of classes had useless speccs, eg: retri and prot palas barely existed because they were useless, druids only tanked with certain gear etc. And rerolling wasnt really an option because leveling took ages

So im baffled why people liked it so much.
    Maybe it was because i was just 13 and had a bad personal experience? Ohwell ...

I for one will turn off the world pvp thingy the moment its is out to quest in peace

I remember sitting on the road between gurubashi arena and booty bay fighting alliance within 5 levels of me and my friends for 2 hours on multiple occassions. Constant fighting with groups from opposite faction outside Zul'farak and the surrounding area. Then random 1v1/2/3 encounters throughout the contested zones. Even in the short period of time I played private servers (stopped around 40ish) I experienced more pvp / interaction(fights where people stick around rather than just ressing and running off) with the opposite faction than I have in legion.

But really what I loved about vanilla leveling experience / world pvp is little shit like having to /emote communicate to make a truce with someone from another faction while you both split mob packs in the troll ruins of STV, since you both realize you're F'd if you try and do it solo. Then fighting it out right before you're about to part ways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    I remember sitting on the road between gurubashi arena and booty bay fighting alliance within 5 levels of me and my friends for 2 hours on multiple occassions. Constant fighting with groups from opposite faction outside Zul'farak and the surrounding area. Then random 1v1/2/3 encounters throughout the contested zones. Even in the short period of time I played private servers (stopped around 40ish) I experienced more pvp / interaction(fights where people stick around rather than just ressing and running off) with the opposite faction than I have in legion.

But really what I loved about vanilla leveling experience / world pvp is little shit like having to /emote communicate to make a truce with someone from another faction while you both split mob packs in the troll ruins of STV, since you both realize you're F'd if you try and do it solo. Then fighting it out right before you're about to part ways.

Haha thats so true

I'll be honest, as annoying as it might've been (soon to be might be!), Gankthorn Vale is something I am actually looking forward to.

The thing I remember the most about vanilla wow was world pvp at all levels. I actually remembered alliance character names (I was horde) and there were rivalries. It was the most fun I ever had with a video game.

Do I expect it to be the same? No. I do think it will be fun though.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

If it's anything like private servers it'll be great fun. Raids forming to fight for control of Nessingway camp in northern STV, random ceasefires in a neutral quest zone that break down when one guy decides he wants to watch the world burn. Hiding behind a tree as a high level player runs past.

Seeing the same players in different zones as you level up, and taking revenge on that asshole dwarf priest who jumped you when you were fighting a quest mob back in STV.

Even as a rogue i wasnt a fan of world pvp, AV was a ton of fun tho. Things like speccing combat with blade flurry and tanking one of the warmasters, good times.

My fear is that they won't have classic pvp realms, or it will have some silly new flagging system. I don't know if I would participate in "classic" if that's the case.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

As a rogue I loved it all. But, yes it could be very frustrating depending on your spec/class. But I loved it when playing a rogue or when playing a shaman/priest or paladin/whoever, it was a big part of the game for me. It truly felt like Horde vs Alliance to me at all times, no location being safe.

It could indeed be hell, yes. I was a big part of that hell, not going to lie. I remember there being multiple forum threads about me at the time, the sense of community in vanilla was great, I hope this anouncement sparks some life into server specific forums again.
    I would go to Tyr's Hand(60's loved to farm gold and cloth there) and gank everyone for hours on end with my UD Rogue equipped with a 2.00 Barman Shanker and enough Thistle Tea to last me atleast 5-6 hours worth of ganking. I would also spend hours upon hours in Stranglethorn Vale/Westfall ganking randoms. Searing Gorge was also insanely fun if you wanted to gank/pvp in general.

Quote Originally Posted by futomara View Post
    It was either a rogue miss using mechanics and one shotting people without even gear equiped, a gank fest in southshore or a random dude with a higher level killing you in stranglethorn.

And alot of classes had useless speccs, eg: retri and prot palas barely existed because they were useless, druids only tanked with certain gear etc. And rerolling wasnt really an option because leveling took ages

Maybe it was because i was just 13 and had a bad personal experience? Ohwell ...

I for one will turn off the world pvp thingy the moment its is out to quest in peace
    You were 13 and had no clue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    My fear is that they won't have classic pvp realms, or it will have some silly new flagging system. I don't know if I would participate in "classic" if that's the case.
    Blizzard said Vanilla would be authentic.

Either way, the PVP Classic realms on private servers are the most popular. I'm sure Blizzard knows this.

Eh pvp will have a toggle surely, just like live is going to be moving to. I did more pvp than anything in vanilla being a rogue, i took no enjoyment from ganking lowbies but world pvp at blackrock mountain was a ton of fun against equally geared opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Eh pvp will have a toggle surely, just like live is going to be moving to. I did more pvp than anything in vanilla being a rogue, i took no enjoyment from ganking lowbies but world pvp at blackrock mountain was a ton of fun against equally geared opponents.
    Or they will just do a PvP and PvE server separately. Sounds like a better compromise imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Or they will just do a PvP and PvE server separately. Sounds like a better compromise imo.
    Its gonna take more than 2 servers to fill this demand my dude lol. I just am not a fan of pvp servers they have no reason to exist, ganking is and was never fun, having the option to pvp when you are ready is what needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by futomara View Post

Hell? Most seasoned MMO folks thought WoW was romper room in comparision to what they'd been playing prior. Odd how time changes perception.

10+ Year Old Account
    World pvp will probably get ruined by level 111 "twinks" anyway.

there was some world pvp on silvermoon-eu back before they added honor, i remember there were battles at the crossroads, they weren't that fun but ppl did organize large scale pvp. there was just no reward for doing it. I think every server had its tarren mill and south shore cluster fucks where the main threat was the flight masters more than anything else.

I had my own battleground rogue, I didn't like doing pvp with my priest because as soon as I hit the front line ppl would go out of their way to gank me down. so I did the faction rep grind lobotomizer and managed to get a felstriker from ubrs, i had a very nicely geared pre-raid rogue which performed well in 1v1's iirc the only class that was my counter was arms warriors spamming overpower that screwed me, but everyone else was fair game, so long as you had cooldowns, not many ppl could compete against rogues in 1v1. pvp for my priest highlights would probably be mind controlling ppl into the lava at BRM.

but i agree with the overall lack of meaningful world pvp, most of the time it was just some undead rogue ganking ppl and then stealthing. or paladins bubble hearth stoning away while /lol'ing

had a warlord shaman with the unstoppable force and the hand of justice. god damn that windfury was over powered in pvp one shotting ppl all day. didn't even need to raid toward the end, just play the most unbalanced class and farm dungeons and pvp rep.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-11-04 at 06:38 AM.