Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    Yes, this forum has a terrible understanding of what it calls nostalgia. Unfortunately it suffers from reverse nostalgia:

"The past was always bad, change is always good!"
    Right, progress from a shitty 2004 version of the game to the modern version is horrible. Let's go, Server Crashes, horrible loot itemization, shitty class balancing, exploiting, buggy quests, Raid-geared people rofl-stomping in BGs because lolPVP, and 40man raiding with 20 people on /follow, Ninja looting and spending 2+ hours doing a single fucking Heroic.

Vanilla sucked ass. People who played through it know this and appreciate the game we have now as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Or it's like getting excited for a rerelease of one of the best games ever made.
    A 'remake' of a truly amazing game like Final Fantasy 7 is a great awesome idea and I can't wait to see it.

Releasing a 2017 version of the original block-head version of Final Fantasy 7 is a hilariously stupid idea.

So, yeah. Treating a 2004 game like it's something awesome just because it's old is stupid as fuck.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    I'm terribly confused by the idea that people can actually be entertained by a static game that's never going to be updated or have anything added to it. Like...ever.
    Your explanation is basically "It'll take a lot longer to finish the stuff" but you KNOW that you're going to finish it. And then, when it's finished...that's it. I mean, that is IT. There's no Pre-BC patch, there's no BC, no LK, no nothing....Just "let's go kill Sulfuras again."
    Sounds awesome for me.

It baffles me. And for this limited ratrace, you're giving up X-mog, flying, much better balanced classes, ease of play, much less grind and actually engaging and complicated(in comparison) Raid fights. I mean, let's not pretend like MC was hard, ever.
    I'm not interested with those features and I think that the game is better without them.

You're giving up a ton of QOL stuff in return for getting dry-shafted because you plainly remember it being fun, kinda, back when you were younger and didn't know any better.
    I didn't play it so not the case for me. I dislike almost all changes in recent WoW since BC.

Yes, I'm fucking confused. This whole thing is fucking retarded.
    I hope you won't be forced to play it, no reason be retarded about it.

Right, progress from a shitty 2004 version of the game to the modern version is horrible. Let's go, Server Crashes, horrible loot itemization, shitty class balancing, exploiting, buggy quests, Raid-geared people rofl-stomping in BGs because lolPVP, and 40man raiding with 20 people on /follow, Ninja looting and spending 2+ hours doing a single fucking Heroic.

Vanilla sucked ass. People who played through it know this and appreciate the game we have now as a result.
    I played Vanilla and prefer it to Legion. Two totally different games. This is a sentiment thousands of people agree with. Don't know why your ass is so alight over other people getting back a version of the game you aren't going to be forced to acknowledge or play.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Austilias View Post
    Yes, this forum has a terrible understanding of what it calls nostalgia. Unfortunately it suffers from reverse nostalgia:

"The past was always bad, change is always good!"
    Seriously... I think they're just mad some people don't like [newest expasion] as much as they do so they have to be insecure about it.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Dont get me wrong vanilla was great when it released but now there is nothing left to beat in vanilla, we defeated all raids, the only thing that remains is some pvp perhaps, why would you even bother with a game you have already defeated? there is nothing to progress upon, i never understood this vanilla server thing, it makes so sense.
    I bet you didn't clear even MC on 60
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

A 'remake' of a truly amazing game like Final Fantasy 7 is a great awesome idea and I can't wait to see it.

Releasing a 2017 version of the original block-head version of Final Fantasy 7 is a hilariously stupid idea.

So, yeah. Treating a 2004 game like it's something awesome just because it's old is stupid as fuck.
    Hey bro they rereleased ff7 on ps4 in 2016(?) and it's one of psns best selling games. What you think doesn't matter to most people. They want an old, better game.

Why do people replay games or rewatch tv shows and movies? Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranei View Post
    I played Vanilla and prefer it to Legion. Two totally different games. This is a sentiment thousands of people agree with. Don't know why your ass is so alight over other people getting back a version of the game you aren't going to be forced to acknowledge or play.
    and I'm sure there are people who prefer Madden NFL 99 over Madden 2017. It doesn't make Madden NLF 99 a better game or even a good game compared to the modern versions.

Quote Originally Posted by equus80 View Post
    My main (hunter) and my priest still have that potion in their banks. I always tell myself one of these days I'll use it on a boss when we're all wiping and save the day and get that kill, but I'm more afraid to use it and lose it because it'll never come back. So it sits in both of their banks now more as a trophy of the past than anything else.
    hang onto it till some dev changes the text telling you to toss it!

I did the same with a thing of instant poison and some bullets... oh my thick bronze spear (or was it darts... ah well the entire weapon type got removed from the game)

Lot's of crying for a free option. I have alot of friends that might come back to get the old vanilla feel.

maybe we play pserver/legacy soon because they are what a mmorpg should be: community

and the biggest challenge of them all: work together as a team which is almost nonexistant nowadays you can get up to mythic without saying a single word. this is not what i play mmo for

also for the pvp alone with all the skill/outplay potential. where the better player(s) will always win and not some garbage scripted pvp like nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Hey bro they rereleased ff7 on ps4 in 2016(?) and it's one of psns best selling games. What you think doesn't matter to most people. They want an old, better game.
    You care enough to respond, don't you, bro?

Older games are generally shittier games compared to the newer ones. Nostalgia makes people think otherwise, but that's just nostalgia and the yearning for the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by haaku View Post
    Lot's of crying for a free option. I have alot of friends that might come back to get the old vanilla feel.
    lol where'd you get the idea that it's going to be free?

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely should try it so you know for sure which side of the coin you should be on: those who think Vanilla is super awesome, or those who think it was a terrible game. But if you're looking for something that is not endless farming, I think you're going to be in for a mega shock. You couldn't even level to max without some mindless and endless farming of mobs in max level zones. And the reagents for raiding...you haven't known endless farming until you try that. RNG today is a godsend compared to playing with 40 people in a raid and a boss only drops 2 pieces of loot too.
    Farming mobs is somewhat relaxing, I can bear that. Farming dungeons is awesome, that's basically the only thing I like in WoW now. As to reagents, I would just buy them on AH with bought gold.

Try it for sure though, I think anyone who never got a chance to should at least see what it was like, and you may love it, but don't be shocked at how little there is to do. I think you will find a new appreciation for the live game afterwards. I think a lot of newer players will once they try vanilla.
    It might happen. I tried pirate servers and I liked it somewhat, but I don't want to invest my time into something that'll be wiped tomorrow, so I'm waiting for proper implementation from Blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkMethod View Post
    Same reason people play progression servers for other old MMOs. It's nostalgia, plus they like how things were a little more difficult back then (but at the same time, was simpler). No giant artifact menus. No champions or followers. No maps that tell you exactly where to go. So you focus more on each kill, each player you meet.
    Nailed it!

Even though it was alot harder to navigate, kill and explorer, it was much simpler, gear had meaning and the community aspect was much better.

To most, wow is enjoyable now, to people that played in the beginning, not so much. If it wasn't a high demand, Blizz wouldn't be wasting their time. There are millions that want it back, and not for nostalgia, those that think that just don't understand and never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Dont get me wrong vanilla was great when it released but now there is nothing left to beat in vanilla, we defeated all raids, the only thing that remains is some pvp perhaps, why would you even bother with a game you have already defeated? there is nothing to progress upon, i never understood this vanilla server thing, it makes so sense.
    I'm a little confused as well.

So as perfect as the server(s) may be when they're released; there will be no sense of progression once raids are cleared and people have gotten the best gear possible on every single class possible (as long as that may take). It seems like something that will be played heavily for a year or so and then quieten down.

Although now that I think about it, that's why the main game exists. So perhaps these 'WoW: Classic' servers will be a nice little side thing to do away from the main game!

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Nailed it!

Even though it was alot harder to navigate, kill and explorer, it was much simpler, gear had meaning and the community aspect was much better.

To most, wow is enjoyable now, to people that played in the beginning, not so much. If it wasn't a high demand, Blizz wouldn't be wasting their time. There are millions that want it back, and not for nostalgia, those that think that just don't understand and never will.
    Delusional thinking. Vanilla was never hard.

and I'm sure there are people who prefer Madden NFL 99 over Madden 2017. It doesn't make Madden NLF 99 a better game or even a good game compared to the modern versions.

Weather Madden NFL 99 is better than Madden 2017 or not isn't for you to decide. If people prefer the older game, then for them that's the better game. "Better" when it comes to something as nebulous as the quality of a game is not something you can objectively declare like a new cpu being better because it's 100 mhz faster than the previous version.

- - - Updated - - -

it didn't completely suck but i agree that they are going to have a hard time retaining players if its a carbon copy of vanilla. the expansions simply improved on the game in most respecs. tbc was better than classic, in a lot of ways, paladins and shamans on horde and alliance. healer homogenization, heroics, way more 5 mans. better rep grinds. more abilities.

personally I miss the longer dungeons, ubrs and strath were great if you could get a group to run the whole of lbrs and ubrs or both sides of strath, that was a long run and as a healer i enjoyed those lengthy dungeons, as healing other ppl is where i got 99% of my fun. if there is one thing that has slowly made me less and less interested in wow its how all the dungeons are these bite sized 3-4 boss runs that all feel very samey. I miss a good 1-2hr dungeon romp. with tons of mini bosses.

beyond that the raids were good fun initially learning them with your guild mates who were also doing the content for the first time, I had a lot of fun doing zg and aq20, I found aq20 to be pretty challenging to heal at the time there were some nasty mechanics in there that pushed you to panic. the only other thing that stands out to me about classic is how they played around with alternate gear set acquirement, tokens and bijous. after a while we settled on the token pieces for tier dropping but i kinda liked the coin and scarab collecting. it was a change from the usual aspect of gear just dropping. it was the same for t3 it required crafted mats and dropped mats. those elements of the game i miss how everything wasn't simply the same for every tier. the game managed to push itself into a very predictable cycle that got boring for me.

Because we enjoy it?

I don't get why people are so anti other people enjoying it, or dictating to them its nostalgia you miss not the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranei View Post
    Weather Madden NFL 99 is better than Madden 2017 or not isn't for you to decide. If people prefer the older game, then for them that's the better game. "Better" when it comes to something as nebulous as the quality of a game is not something you can objectively declare like a new cpu being better because it's 100 mhz faster than the previous version.
    I don't have to 'decide that.' 2017 is, objectively a BETTER game. Why? Because each version that came before it had new improvements based on what the players liked and disliked.

KINDA LIKE EXPANSIONS FOR WARCRAFT.