Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BfA: definition of a filler expansion

When you've got a Horde vs Alliance story where it's absolutely impossible for either side to truly win due to gameplay reasons, you know that our actions are going to be completely inconsequential throughout the expansion. Which is the very definition of a filler expansion.

I think it was a mistake to make the Horde vs. Alliance fallout the central theme of the expansion when they will never be able to deliver on the gameplay associated with that. And it is gameplay first. This is shaping up to be WoD 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    When you've got a Horde vs Alliance story where it's absolutely impossible for either side to truly win due to gameplay reasons, you know that our actions are going to be completely inconsequential throughout the expansion. Which is the very definition of a filler expansion.

I think it was a mistake to make the Horde vs. Alliance fallout the central theme of the expansion when they will never be able to deliver on the gameplay associated with that. And it is gameplay first. This is shaping up to be WoD 2.0.
    actually thought the same XD
    but we need this as a plot device so that we are at our weakest when the naga/old-god/voidlords try to take over in the next one starting with azshara as the final boss in this one.

Goodbye carebears, hello killing humans and elves.

filler expansions are usually better anyway, see mists

I don't think filler expansions are a thing. Actually, this is perfect for the story in my opinion. We're finally getting a more grounded story focused on the characters. We were getting so sci-fi, big, universal-scale storylines, that I feel like we forgot to focus on the smaller storylines focused on the characters that made Warcraft feel special. I might be wrong, those are just my two cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolftusk View Post
    filler expansions are usually better anyway, see mists
    Which is kinda funny, because it had exactly the same theme as well

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammer View Post
    but we need this as a plot device so that we are at our weakest when the naga/old-god/voidlords try to take over in the next one starting with azshara as the final boss in this one.
    Azshara will be second tier boss, big bad will be some old god in the third patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyOcelot View Post
    Which is kinda funny, because it had exactly the same theme as well
    and mist was excellent.

I wouldn't call it a filler expansion because that would imply they are planning to do something bigger next time. It appears, based on this announcement, that the plan moving forward with Wow is to minimize development costs and seed it with features that either maximize Monthly Active Users, which is now their measured benchmark, or push players towards micro transactions. You want to have each of the subraces, you can pay for a boost, pay for a race change or you can level them up from 20. You want to try to level them up quicker you can do it whilst PVPing which will slow you down or you can do it without pvping which will give you less experience and slow you down.

The model is quick, easy to develop content re-using existing assets or quick reskins and then repetitive RNG heavy content that makes you log in as much a month as possible or pay to skip it by buying boosts etc. Classic servers are another quick easy thing they can do to boost Monthly Active Users and bring back some people who currently don't play and vanilla is an epic grind that will increase MAUs or they can sell boosts for that too when people remember how slow and painful it was to level in vanilla.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    and mist was excellent.
    Yeah, it's the best "modern"-era expac.
    But you know - I'd rather see a new, fresh, well-written story than a copy&paste of Mists. We'll see - but the faction conflict can't really be resolved in-game, so I guess we'll get external manipulating entity (just like we did in Mists). Yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    Azshara will be second tier boss, big bad will be some old god in the third patch.
    Would be even better

The fact that we will be fighting Azhara is enough to conclude the BfA will not stay a HvA xpac.
    Bigger threads will cross our paths after defeating Azhara.

I just want to know, what turned Anduin from the Peace seeking pussy of Pandaria into a warrior king hell bent on the Horde's destruction
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by BanHammer View Post
    Didn't they say Azshara is our Gul'dan for this xpac? As in, she'll die at the end of the first tier?

Quote Originally Posted by Letdown View Post
    Didn't they say Azshara is our Gul'dan for this xpac? As in, she'll die at the end of the first tier?
    We'll "face her". Vague words meaning she may survive to carry her own expansion later on.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    I just want to know, what turned Anduin from the Peace seeking pussy of Pandaria into a warrior king hell bent on the Horde's destruction
    Now that's something I would like to know too. What happened to him in order to become this new holy warrior? It seemed so out of place and unsettling to see his behavior on that trailer.
    Too Greedy - my blog about WoW and Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Old Gods make people do crazy shit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Now that's something I would like to know too. What happened to him in order to become this new holy warrior? It seemed so out of place and unsettling to see his behavior on that trailer.
    You mean besides his father Dying and the horde in the alliance eye's abandoning them at the broken shore?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Goodbye carebears, hello killing humans and elves.
    Sounds like a big welcome to carebears, with how they literally removed PvP servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemin View Post
    You mean besides his father Dying and the horde in the alliance eye's abandoning them at the broken shore?
    Maybe if they'd bother researching what happened instead of being childish about it (in jaina's case) or just not bothering, they'd figure out the horde did the best they could, it was a lost cause.

the plot makes no sense whatsoever too - in last 6-8 years everything we done in game was meant to briing fractions togehter and now we are back to square 1 ?

like f... sake no wonder Metzen left and they hired 2nd rate writer to write this expansion.

you can see pretty crearly how badly its thought out.