Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    What are you talking about? You can get an authenticator for free on your phone.
    Apparently there's this hidden shadow state where poor disheartened souls A) Don't have access to modern technology and B) can't afford to shell out 6 USD despite having access to computers, internet and video games...

Quote Originally Posted by FertsBlert View Post
    Well I guess my backpack will be small, I don't do apps and I'm not buying a fucking useless piece of plastic.

Yeah I said fucking useless if you get 'hacked' you gave your info to someone being even the slightest bit intelligent about how you use the internet will save you from virus's and being 'hacked' but most people are fucking morons.
    just use https://winauth.github.io/winauth/index.html then
    "In life, war. In death, peace. In life, shame. In death, atonement."
    | CPU - i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz + Cooler Master Hyper - 212 EVO | MB - MSI Z170A Gaming M3 | RAM - 4x HYPERX Savage Black 4GB DDR4 2133MHz | GPU - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1080 | HDD #1 - 600GB Western Digital WDC | HDD #2 2TB Seagate @ 7200 RPM | SSD - HyperX Fury 240GB | PSU - LC-POWER LC8750III @750W | Mouse - Logitech G600 | KB - Logitech G910

Do this many people really not have smart phones in 2017? You can't afford a phone but somehow can afford a wow sub and the time to play it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Not my point, my point is do you really think they are specifically checking up on "Caolela" or that it just gets jammed into storage? Also does it really matter? Does my life change because they tracked me?
    Yes it really matters. #1 - It's unconstitutional; #2 - There is no way to predict or determine how ones life could change from an entity illegally possessing such information, as it can be used at any time for any number of nefarious purposes; #3 - It tends to stifle open discussion and thwarts privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Lol @ real money for increased backpack size. Wtf is blizz even doing? This BlizzCon was hella disappointing.
    The Authenticator's free, dingus.

If you lasted this long without a phone, an app and a 16slot bag, then I honestly dont see why you pick this point in time to whine about all 3....

5+ Year Old Account
    More bag space for me if that is the case, amazing. Though it doesn't make sense at all, but I suppose they're trying to push their product in that way. They turned serious this time and are all about good marketing and promises. Let's see how that turns out, hah.

I don't understand why people are obsessed with the idea of the backpack being bigger. Bigger tailoring bags would give the same result. These amps go to 11.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaboostme View Post
    Didnt they say in last year's Q&A that it was nearly impossible and never gonna happen?

"You think you want it, but you don't" kind of another moment
    No. They explained the problem in-depth during the engineering panel at the Blizzcon 2015 ampitheater discussion.

https://youtu.be/mx_C7LkB1Q8?t=750

The way player inventory was built by the original team was very poorly designed. Essentially, your currently equipped armor and weapons, bag slots, and bank slots are all part of a single linear array. The array starts with twenty slots that are assigned to your currently equipped armor. It then has a number of bag slots, which would be fine, but at a certain position in the array your bag slots end and your bank slots begin.

The fundamental problem with that is that the programmers didn't want you to be able to access your bank slots from anywhere in the world, and their (shortsighted) solution was to hardcode that position in the array into a number of different statements all over the code to prevent you from accessing it freely. Since it's a hardcoded value, the only way to change it is to manually go through the code and find and rewrite every piece of code that uses it. There are even places in the code where programmers used it in functions involving math logic, because it was treated as a constant value.

That's not to say it can't be fixed. It would just be a fairly difficult and QA-intensive project that would take resources (time, money, employees) that could be better used elsewhere. After all, there are other, easier solutions to the problem, such as reclaiming obsolete slots (ammo, relic, keyring), implementing alternative storage solutions (void storage, collection manager, currencies) and reducing clutter so that players won't have to use as many of the slots (quest items, dynamic stats, larger item stacks).

Since they're linking expanded backpack slots to Authenticators, it's probably that someone somewhere in the company did a cost-benefit analysis and determined that the savings from having fewer CS and fraud issues with hacked accounts would outweigh the costs of having the engineering team fix the backpack issues.

Battle for Azeroth is honestly also looking pretty feature-light as far as expansions go, so they might have more wiggle room to address other long-standing issues with the codebase.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2017-11-05 at 04:29 AM.

I don't understand these forums sometimes. I tell someone that reading their wall of text with no punctuation, capitalization, or innumberable spelling mistakes probably made my brain bleed, and I get infracted. But Jabberwok using constant profanity in every post whenever someone disagrees with him is perfectly ok.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

You can't afford a phone but somehow can afford a wow sub and the time to play it?
    One reason why I stick to WOW instead of playing many other games is that WOW pays itself (through gold and token), while other games actually cost money. The token was a masterful move tbh, made me quit SWTOR for example because instead of "do I pay sub for SWTOR or WOW" the question became "do I pay or play for free" and free (WOW) always wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    No actually.
    Last year is the one where they said "Actually we looked into it and it's not as hard as we thought it was last time you asked, expect an update on this."
    Interesting.

I don't remember seeing this sorry. Could I possibly trouble you for a youtube link of the panel they said this on ? I'm not sure which interview to search for.

Thanks in advance !

10+ Year Old Account
    Convenient for me I guess, I already have the authenticator because I wanted a core hound pet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Yes it really matters. #1
    In what way?

It's unconstitutional
    No it's not, you accepted the ToS when you downloaded the app.

There is no way to predict or determine how ones life could change from an entity illegally possessing such information, as it can be used at any time for any number of nefarious purposes; #3 - It tends to stifle open discussion and thwarts privacy.
    So full blown paranoia and conspiracy theorys? We are going there now?

Also it's not illegal if you accept the ToS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Not everyone uses an app. So keep pointing it out; all you're fucking pointing out is your own ignorance.
    Case in fucking point: https://gear.blizzard.com/us/catalog...=authenticator

Wrong again: You made it clear in the post I was quoting that you somehow think shit like that, and microtransactions in general, make you a special snowflake.
    Wow, $6.5 for an optional method to securing one's account. You know they had the physical authenticators years ago before there was an app for everything right? It is in no way a fucking money-grab. Pick your battles dude.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

10+ Year Old Account
    In what way?

No it's not, you accepted the ToS when you downloaded the app.

So full blown paranoia and conspiracy theorys? We are going there now?

Also it's not illegal if you accept the ToS.
    No game company's ToS overrides the Constitution, Skippy.

Is there a clause in the ToS that specifically says you agree to being spied on unconstitutionally by unknown 3rd-parties or by gov't entities?
    Implying that being tracked by a company while you're currently using their product is spying.

lel

10+ Year Old Account
    Implying that being tracked by a company while you're currently using their product is spying.

lel
    lel?

Apparently you can't read. That's lel.

rejoice free bagspace for smart people!

for the rest of you, no-one gives a fuck go away.

Uh... information collection you agree to is not illegal nor against the constitution, hell, even basic information collection on the internet that they don't tell you about isn't illegal, the shit they sell all the time, names, addresses, etc.

Only way to prevent information collection? don't use the damn internet. don't use a damn computer. go live in the woods and wipe your ass with leaves.