Classic WoW - The Long Run

So, we finally got Classic WoW (\o/)

What does this mean though, apart from the players that are familiar with WoW, I'm sure it will attract a lot of people who have never played Classic before...

Hypothetical here

Let's say classic WoW has been out for a little over 2 years, people are generally done with Naxx 40 (this is assuming they don't stagger the raids, which I really hope they do)

People are complaining (it's the WoW community after all) that there is no more content... what do Blizzard do?

I think (personally) the answer to that lies in an upcoming change

Obviously TBC and WOTLK are NOT Classic.. but what if we could play them with a full Classic ruleset? 40 man raids, nothing changed talent/ability wise and level capped at 60? it's certainly an interesting prospect.. it's a lot of work on Blizzards behalf, though.

Thoughts?
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Threadripper 2950x | 32gig Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz | GTX 1070 (Yes, I was stingy on the graphics card HOOOO!)

I think its a great idea to let newer content be played with Classic WoW rulesets. BUUUUUUTTTTT, How do you remove flying mounts? Some places are only accessible if you have a flying mount. I guess they could change a little terrain but not sure if it would be too much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatfire View Post
    I think its a great idea to let newer content be played with Classic WoW rulesets. BUUUUUUTTTTT, How do you remove flying mounts? Some places are only accessible if you have a flying mount. I guess they could change a little terrain but not sure if it would be too much for them.
    The obvious answer is add teleport hubs of sorts and/or clickables that pull you up cliffs like ropes etc.

To add to this, it would be nice if they did NOT remove Vanilla Naxx if they did unlock TBC/WOTLK.
    Last edited by Turaska; 2017-11-06 at 02:05 AM.

Threadripper 2950x | 32gig Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz | GTX 1070 (Yes, I was stingy on the graphics card HOOOO!)

There is no problems with flying mounts. It doesn't belong in vanilla, but it does in TBC/WOTLK. TBC can work without major changes, perhaps removing the welfare gear would be nice. 40 => 25 man raids don't really play that differently, they can stay. Wrath needs a lot of rework, removing LFG, 10 M mode of 25M raids, all the welfare gear is a MUST here. Perhaps normal mode 25M ICC and TOC should be removed too. so progression would go: 25M ulduar => 25 M heroic ulduar => 25M H TOC => 25M heroic ICC.
    Death to all undead rogues and mages!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by parcus View Post
    There is no problems with flying mounts. It doesn't belong in vanilla, but it does in TBC/WOTLK. TBC can work without major changes, perhaps removing the welfare gear would be nice. 40 => 25 man raids don't really play that differently, they can stay. Wrath needs a lot of rework, removing LFG, 10 M mode of 25M raids, all the welfare gear is a MUST here. Perhaps normal mode 25M ICC and TOC should be removed too. so progression would go: 25M ulduar => 25 M heroic ulduar => 25M H TOC => 25M heroic ICC.
    Exactly, TBC and WOTLK would need 20 but primarily 40 man raids and a carryover of Vanilla rather than the changes that came with TBC and WOTLK before, I think it's a definite possibility and if Classic proves profitable for them I'm sure they'll consider it.

The problem is, just like you like vanilla and everyone jumps out screaming whenever someone suggests a change for it, the same thing is with the people that like TBC and WOTLK, they also want to experience TBC and WOTLK the same way that they experienced it before, and they don't want it changed and possibly ruined. just a thought.

Don’t Change bc or wotlk ether

10+ Year Old Account
    There are basically only 3 scenarios:

1.) Nothing happens at all and it will stay with Classic Servers and that's it.
    2.) We will see TBC servers at one point and if that happens we probably also will continue with the game, getting WotLK, Cata, MoP, etc.
    3.) We will see completely new content developed for Classic.

I think 1 and 2 are the most likely things to happen and would be really suprised if 3 in any form beyond the initial release and some later bug fixing would happen at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    There are basically only 3 scenarios:

1.) Nothing happens at all and it will stay with Classic Servers and that's it.
    2.) We will see TBC servers at one point and if that happens we probably also will continue with the game, getting WotLK, Cata, MoP, etc.
    3.) We will see completely new content developed for Classic.

I think 1 and 2 are the most likely things to happen and would be really suprised if 3 in any form beyond the initial release and some later bug fixing would happen at all.
    i really don't see why the wouldn't do 2 .. i mean they already have those expansions implemented and it could bring people back instead of staying in vanilla for 10 years so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post

Let's say classic WoW has been out for a little over 2 years, people are generally done with Naxx 40 (this is assuming they don't stagger the raids, which I really hope they do)

People are complaining (it's the WoW community after all) that there is no more content... what do Blizzard do?

They will probably tell them to play the current game.

I think it would be a nightmare for them to maintain and add new things to two versions of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
    They will probably tell them to play the current game.

I think it would be a nightmare for them to maintain and add new things to two versions of the game.
    They've hired an entire second team to be dedicated to WoW Classic, so it won't split time or resources between the two versions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blezius View Post
    i really don't see why the wouldn't do 2 .. i mean they already have those expansions implemented and it could bring people back instead of staying in vanilla for 10 years so why not.
    Yes, but what happens if Classic proves to be really popular? I know some people say the server will be a ghost town after a few months, but what happens if it is not and it brings in, let's say 1 million new subs for Blizzard?

They will want to keep those new subs and therefore I think we will see option 2 being pursued, but only up to a point. I don't see them going beyond WOTLK - personally I would like them to stop after TBC.

Then, if they still manage to keep those 1M subs, I can see them going for option 3.

Exciting times!

The community WON'T complain that there is "no more content". It is a classic server...

However, if the server turns out to be higly popular and profitable, they might concider adding a new raid after Naxxramas. That is way too far into the future for now though. And I would not be too comfortable with 2017 Blizzard creating a Vannilla quality raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Turaska View Post
    So, we finally got Classic WoW (\o/)

What does this mean though, apart from the players that are familiar with WoW, I'm sure it will attract a lot of people who have never played Classic before...

Hypothetical here

I think (personally) the answer to that lies in an upcoming change

Obviously TBC and WOTLK are NOT Classic.. but what if we could play them with a full Classic ruleset? 40 man raids, nothing changed talent/ability wise and level capped at 60? it's certainly an interesting prospect.. it's a lot of work on Blizzards behalf, though.

Thoughts?
    So you want a seperate dev team for WOW classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    So you want a seperate dev team for WOW classic?
    There already is a separate dev team, they hired a second team to handle Classic WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    The community WON'T complain that there is "no more content". It is a classic server...

However, if the server turns out to be higly popular and profitable, they might concider adding a new raid after Naxxramas. That is way too far into the future for now though. And I would not be too comfortable with 2017 Blizzard creating a Vannilla quality raid.
    If this server is small it'll be a nostalgic side show. If it ends up being very popular compared to live Blizzard could fork WoW in any number of classic-themed ways. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of controversy. My tinfoil hat sense tells me that a vocal minority is terrified WoW Classic will turn into the next OSR and outperform the live game.
    Last edited by Kessiaan; 2017-11-06 at 12:39 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I see "Classic" WoW as expandable to anything before Cataclysm. So if the vanilla experience is successful enough, BC and Wrath servers could be added if the interest is there. Characters could start on the vanilla server and stay there, or transfer to the BC server if they wish once they get to 60. Then the same thing with the Wrath server. That way, anyone at any time can progress through the old content from its beginnings through the fall of the Lich King.

I personally think, though, that the modern server is the Cataclysm server.