Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

This feels like an expansion for the sake of an expansion

The only thing this expansion brings is new raids and dungeons, plus the leveling story if you're into that

How ever no new classes, no new spells or talents, no new profession, not even an exciting new feature that id be looking for.

All of this seems like a money grab and the detriment is that we have to yet again play the final raid for ~ 1 year and get no new updates while they work on the next expansion.

So my question is, is it REALLY required we get an expansion a year? Cant the new raids and dungeons just be patched in?
    this just seems like a cash grab and very lazy development to me

I mean...there are already new spells from the demo that was played. I don't know how many you need to make it "worth it" though. Maybe just skip this expansion if the story and side races aren't grabbing you
    There's someone in my head, but it's not me - Pink Floyd

do there have to be millions of new threads about how disappointing the new expansion is or whatever can we just discuss the new content for once

I don’t know why people expect a new class every expansion. The current line up is redundant as is.

If you seriously thought we'd get sub races AND a complete new race, I don't know what to tell you. People wanted sub races. They yelled loud and clear about it, so that is going to fill the development time that used to go into brand new ones.

As for a new class, you're really naive if you thought we'd get one. We have never received a class in two back to back expansions before. I don't know why you'd expect that to be any different to the point where you feel angry or let down about it.

Look, I am not entirely sold on the faction war, either, but they said at Blizzcon the faction war was the main conflict to start and as the expansion goes on bigger common threats will emerge. This is their way into Azshara and then N'zoth. The expansion is REALLY the N'zoth expansion with a faction war wrapping on it for disguise. They want people surprised, but they don't want all the anti-faction war people to be angry so they're willing to drop hints about it for now.

What I'm saying is, give it time. I think this expansion will grow into one of WoW's best as patches go on, just simply because we're about to deal with Azshara and N'zoth and that's something people have been waiting on for a very, very long time.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Island Expeditions and Warfronts seems like cool new features to me. Also, I'll take breather from the doom and gloom and the end of the world scenarios to focus more on some of the characters.

Lastly, the final villain of the expansion hasn't been announced yet. This whole "Alliance vs. Horde"-shtick is a marketing ploy to sell the faction fanstasy, which I'm cool with. And won't last the whole of BfA. By patch 8.2 the game has probably changed the focus to some Old Gods tomfoolery.
    - Dare not to sleep -

Even if it is, what's wrong with an expansion for the sake of..... expanding?

Battle for Azeroth can be seen as a battle for control of azeroth or a battle to save azeroth. I think it's meant to start out as the first way and then become the second way by the end.

I kinda agree with the op.

While I think this will be one of the better wow expansions, I think it's been severely misplaced. We've had a massive story build up through out the entirety of legion and now we're getting the void set up to go back 5 steps to a all out war. I have no doubt come 8.2 we'll see a twist which will probably carry on / end the legion story. But still it feels like we've been building up to this big bad arse expansion and it's just lost all its momentum.

As I say, nothing (much) against the expansion it self, just the time its being introduced?

I also have to mention, what put me on a downer about it (as well as everyone at my place watching it) was one of the first fucking things they said at the ceremony - Crabs on the beach are also infused with azerite!" we all face palmed at the same time. From sargeras to empowered crabs. Don't get me wrong we know we'll get filler shit to do for leveling, but actually using that as a example, jesus.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    Cant the new raids and dungeons just be patched in?
    So you think you should get the hardest, most labour-intensive stuff to develop in an expansion should be patched in for free? Okaaaaaaay...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I also have to mention, what put me on a downer about it (as well as everyone at my place watching it) was one of the first fucking things they said at the ceremony - Crabs on the beach are also infused with azerite!" we all face palmed at the same time. From sargeras to empowered crabs. Don't get me wrong we know we'll get filler shit to do for leveling, but actually using that as a example, jesus.
    They didn't say that "in the ceremony", you're talking about the Systems Deep Dive. I literally just watched it. And he doesn't say that at all. There's nothing about "empowered crabs". The big crab likes the Azerite and wants to protect it because everything does.

So if that's what you're upset about, REJOICE, because it's not the case. Go back and re-watch it if you think it is - or point me to where in the opening ceremony they're talking about "empowered crabs" (I admit I watched that longer ago but pretty sure they didn't say that there).
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2017-11-07 at 12:30 AM.

warfronts and islands are new content, leg amulet is new content at this point totally new is not always better.

With all due to respect OP did you get the delorean up to 88mph and travel to the future to see what the expansion is going to be??? they just announced the general framework less than a week ago ffs. how do you know there is no new talents or did i miss the in depth analysis provided for each individual class. we got sub races. we got a new class this last expansion.

TL/DR: the world isnt ending and the sky isnt falling. be patient more information will be forthcoming like it has in every other expansion in the past.

10+ Year Old Account
    So many people are just assuming too much and bullcrap threads are sprouting up like weeds because of it.

For all we know the premise of the expansion is a faction war, we could then just as easily get a major patch with Azshara/N'Zoth or whomever taking advantage of us fighting amongs ourselves to take over a big part of either Kalimdor or EK and we move forward from there.

Yes, we didn't get much information yet but remember there's still so much time before you even have to worry about any of this.

Also if this seems like "lazy" development to you, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolftusk View Post
    do there have to be millions of new threads about how disappointing the new expansion is or whatever can we just discuss the new content for once
    People can't handle the main villain of the expansion being the Horde and the Alliance. With no final boss to slap on the cover their feeble brains can't understand - you have to remember, these are the people who got us Garrisons and Order Halls. They want a mostly singleplayer PVE game.

Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    People can't handle the main villain of the expansion being the Horde and the Alliance. With no final boss to slap on the cover their feeble brains can't understand - you have to remember, these are the people who got us Garrisons and Order Halls. They want a mostly singleplayer PVE game.
    Legion is partly to blame for this. Everything is dialed up to 11. We wield legendary weapons boarding spaceships that shoot lazors and will imprison the biggest bad of Warcraft history: Sargeras.

Nothing can possibly top this, except maybe Void Lords. But then what? At this rate, player characters might as well become Goku.

Naturally, a lot of people will feel underwhelmed now if everything isn't dialed up to 12 to top Legion but this circus cannot continue. Blizzard realizes that and is attempting to pull the story back to normal levels again.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

The only thing this expansion brings is new raids and dungeons, plus the leveling story if you're into that

How ever no new classes, no new spells or talents, no new profession, not even an exciting new feature that id be looking for.
    Warfronts, randomised scenarios, Heart of Azeroth, Allied Races.

Besides, ultimately every expansion is at least partially made to expand the game and earn money. They kinda have to.

No it doesn’t. Feels like an awesome expac to me but I need to see more. Waiting for alpha/beta to make any sort of judgement call.

All of this seems like a money grab and the detriment is that we have to yet again play the final raid for ~ 1 year and get no new updates while they work on the next expansion.

So my question is, is it REALLY required we get an expansion a year? Cant the new raids and dungeons just be patched in?
    this just seems like a cash grab and very lazy development to me
    Wait, what? Legion will be out for 2 years when BFA releases.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Legion is partly to blame for this. Everything is dialed up to 11. We wield legendary weapons boarding spaceships that shoot lazors and will imprison the biggest bad of Warcraft history: Sargeras.

Nothing can possibly top this, except maybe Void Lords. But then what? At this rate, player characters might as well become Goku.

Naturally, a lot of people will feel underwhelmed now if everything isn't dialed up to 12 to top Legion but this circus cannot continue. Blizzard realizes that and is attempting to pull the story back to normal levels again.
    Actually, while I have high hopes and love the theme/change of pace and fixing the levelling (as long as they make you able to level up to 80 in the old world so new characters have a working narrative) I am actually underwhelmed and a little worried because of the developers interviews at blizzcon. So much stuff hasn't been worked out yet, so much is up in the air, this might change that might go, no mission table (not that I care about it) because 'why keep it' not because a better feature is replacing it. Profession ranks staying but 'less quests' when the profession quests were some of the best things to come out of legion for professions in years! It seems that the cinematic team is the one who hauled ass for this expansion rather than the developers with how quickly they've made an awesome cinematic. My only hope is the development of the xpac is really far ahead and there actually is loads of content and the developers were just holding back at blizzcon, but WoD has taught me never to trust them with that again.

I think by the end of this expansion, it will have lead perfectly into another revamp of Azeroth's zones as per Cata. I think that ultimately, that's what the Warfronts are designed for, to help ease players into new borders and territories.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. There is more than enough content here to warrant an expansion, and I strongly suspect there will be a lot more to this story-wise than most people think. I feel that the Battle for Azeroth title was picked very carefully.