Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    @Tennis,
    One thing I dont understand is if you are unhappy with the way your relationship is going why don't you just break up with the person who makes you unhappy, and don't give me that bull about staying together for the kids cause they can tell you are unhappy thus making their lives harder too.
    I have to agree, my parents' marriage was really unhappy for a long time, and it definitely affected how myself and my brother viewed not only marriage but relationships, the concept of love, and the opposite sex. My parents eventually worked through their issues and salvaged a relationship, but I believe it did take a toll on their health, affected their outlooks on their lives, and again, it negatively impacted their children. I love my parents, but I can say that they would have been better off divorcing, and most likely we their kids would've been better off too. Anecdotal evidence, sure, but I can't imagine it could ever do much good for kids to watch their parents be miserable and just go through the motions out of habit or expectations.

As for the article, it sounds like they were in dysfunctional marriages and didn't/don't want to either put in the work to fix it, or dissolve it and be free to either look for the kind of relationship they want, or date/explore. Or they needed an impetus/excuse to leave, get divorced, etc. It happens this way sometimes, and it's pretty shitty for the other spouse, but people can be quite selfish, it's even stated there in the article. Not much else to say, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    News flash, kid: Marriage doesn't fix anything. A bad relationship will be bad regardless of your being married. At least being unmarried gives you the option of ending it without a bunch of legal ramifications (unless you live in Canada, in which case don't even co-habit with someone).
    I think a lot of people don't realize or should I say refuse to realize that, that a bad relationship is going to be awful unless you both either work on it, or you break up. It's even worse when people throw kids into it, you know the classic "band aid baby" situation. Marriages and kids aren't fixes, they're complications, albeit usually wanted complications.

Some people just put too much pride, ego, and stubbornness into this idea that being in a relationship, or in this particular case, marriage, as some penultimate goal, instead of something you might do when you find someone with whom you'd like to commit, that is, if you ever find them and have that mindset. These are also the people who constantly seem to have relationship issues or seem unhappy, imo.
    Last edited by undeadmoon; 2017-11-07 at 08:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    the #1 cause of divorce is getting married.
    the #1 cause of death is being alive.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I mean the logic is sound. If you never lived you can never die.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    It's easier for a women to have sex than a man in this day and age, so it's only logical that women catch up to (and perhaps even overome?) men.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Maybe work on your dick game. A satisfied woman does not cheat.
    End the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    It's true! Other contributing factors seem to be: breathing oxygen, drinking water, eating food, sleeping, wearing clothing, or not wearing clothing, and having a mother.

We should probably investigate. Could be Nobel material.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    End the thread.
    Any coincidence this sentiment is typically echoed by people who also have the worst marriage success rates (i.e. not ending in divorce/cheating)?

Honestly, as somebody who's used to picking up women quite a lot (and who's an asshole with no morals) it's SO much easier to get with married woman and girls who are in long term relationships than it is single girls. Phenomenally easier. You just need to be a bit flirty, and to remind them of adventure and what it was to be carefree and they'll normally make the first move.

Social media makes it far worse too imo, especially with mums of young kids. They tend to be ones that feel unsexy, unappreciated + tired. You just need to give them a bit of fun and make them feel appreciated and they'll more than happily pop round on the way from dropping their kids off school.

Way I've learnt to look at it (to live with myself) is that I'm helping their relationships and marriages in the long run. They have fun, get to let off some steam and don't let things drag them down so much and feel better about themselves and their confidence. This in turn helps to boost their relationships strength
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    looking and data we can see that most of these "long term bf gf" relationships end up nowhere.
    "Looking at data" we know, as a scientific fact, that most marriages all over the world end up divorce. In essence, what you're pushing for people here is an archaic social contract which creates hundreds of millions of divorced people and children of divorce. That's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Any coincidence this sentiment is typically echoed by people who also have the worst marriage success rates (i.e. not ending in divorce/cheating)?
    That simply isn't true. While it was expressed crassly, putting the effort into satisfying your spouse sexually greatly reduces the chances of them cheating on you. Over and over when you see either men or women explain why they cheat, it's to do with not getting what they want in bed from their partner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Source? I mean if your partner cheats, because they aren't being satisfied, what does that mean? My post wasn't even that serious lol, obviously there are other reasons why someone would cheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Source please?
    His anus....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Yes but some people (men included but it's typically women that think this) that they can "change" the person later in the relationship/marriage.
    It's not uncommon for a daughter to be taught to find a decent and financially secure man and then use her "assets" as leverage to shape him into the man she wants. This is part of the reason so many relationships fail. The notion that a man (or woman) is a lump of clay to be shaped by the spouse or relationship is absurd. If you can't be you, they don't deserve you. Period.

People have always cheated in abundance and modern times are no different. 2 of the 10 commandments deal with cheating and that was written thousands of years ago. TWO of them. Its like God couldnt just condemn cheating once, he had to stick another commandment in there just to make sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Women have always cheated as much, if not more, than men.

The only disturbing part is the marriage.

Being married is pretty mediocre and monotonous. Humans aren't designed for one partner for life, as any rational or sane person
    Marriage isnt designed for fun. The primary function of marriage is to provide a stable environment for children. Theres plenty of studies that show kids who grow up with their mother and father have much more productive lives as an adult than those from broken families. One of the common problems is kids blame themselves for the broken family. They think the missing parent isnt there because he hated the child. That feeling can push kids toward acting out, doing poorly in school, and a life of crime. And before anyone starts pointing out examples to the contrary, its a tendency not an absolute rule.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Honestly, as somebody who's used to picking up women quite a lot (and who's an asshole with no morals) it's SO much easier to get with married woman and girls who are in long term relationships than it is single girls. Phenomenally easier. You just need to be a bit flirty, and to remind them of adventure and what it was to be carefree and they'll normally make the first move.

Social media makes it far worse too imo, especially with mums of young kids. They tend to be ones that feel unsexy, unappreciated + tired. You just need to give them a bit of fun and make them feel appreciated and they'll more than happily pop round on the way from dropping their kids off school.

Way I've learnt to look at it (to live with myself) is that I'm helping their relationships and marriages in the long run. They have fun, get to let off some steam and don't let things drag them down so much and feel better about themselves and their confidence. This in turn helps to boost their relationships strength

Most of the time I feel sad and full of self-loathing at the idea of being a not so young neet and forever alone kind of guy. But then I read posts like this one and I realize it's not all that bad in a sense. Even if I find a relationship it sure has hell won't be a passionate one, and I'll be cheated on and dumped fast anyway. Not to mention that I would be insufferably jealous, making things worse. I think only virgins or people who have been single for a very long time can be really faithful. Maybe I'm wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    It's not really all that bad.
    You say this now. Let's see you in 5 years mate.

“I don’t feel like either of the men I was involved with were bad people either,” she says.
    Sure, shitty people almost always concoct rationalizations for why they aren't actually shitty people.
    … it’s this bubble and nothing from the outside can affect us. It’s just you and that person.”
    Ah, raging narcissism.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    If you don't get married then you're likely setting yourself for a life of mediocrity and loneliness though.
    W... what? Ahahahahaha there you go again Tennis, trying to tell people they are wrong for not living the way you want them to.

I think it's amazing that you think there needs to be a social, governmental and religious pact between two or more people to prevent mediocrity and loneliness.

Honestly, someone who has so much time on their hands as to that they need to post endlessly about how great marriage is sounds like someone in denial.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Just saying that marriage is way more expensive than strippers and prostitutes.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    That simply isn't true. While it was expressed crassly, putting the effort into satisfying your spouse sexually greatly reduces the chances of them cheating on you. Over and over when you see either men or women explain why they cheat, it's to do with not getting what they want in bed from their partner.
    Sure, I'm not too serious about it, and of course having a satisfying sexual life is important, however most of this cheating seems to come from emotional neglect (which ties into sexual intimacy). Interestingly enough if we're talking penis size there was a study on Kenyan fishermen which found women were more likely to cheat if their husbands were bigger down there (average size was like 5.5 inches). So as long as 'dick game' means skill and passion and emotional connection, then yeah that's pretty important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Source? I mean if your partner cheats, because they aren't being satisfied, what does that mean? My post wasn't even that serious lol, obviously there are other reasons why someone would cheat.
    "If your partner cheats because they aren't being satisfied" sort of answers itself doesn't it?