Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How To Let Opposite Faction Friends Play Together.

So recently, I started thinking about how WoW is unwilling to remove the faction barrior because of how integral it is to the game. I started thinking of ways that they could allow friends on Battle.net to join each other's raids and 5mans and I think i found an answer. Wouldn't it be cool if blizzard found a way to let us invite Battle.net friends to our group one at a time regardless of faction?

This is how the system would work:

-You can only invite opposite faction players through battlenet. Perhaps only the group leader has this power?
    -This wouldn't apply to group finder as that would muddy the game.
    -You also cannot talk to them outside of Battle.net until you enter the dungeon. WPvP and factional barriers still apply to the outdoor world.
    -Until you enter the dungeon, they're marked as a grey character icon. You can only see their class and role.
    -You can only accept the groups queue's and maybe summons while in the outdoor world.
    -Raids won't be active during progression to prevent top guilds from faction cheesing. Maybe have a limit to how many of these opposite faction friends can join? 5?
    -Once you enter the instance, everyone is phased to YOUR faction from YOUR perspective. An alliance player will see his horde friend as alliance for example. This is a temporary faction change from your perspective.
    -Once you leave the dungeon, everyone is greyed out again until you re-enter a new instance.

Doing something like this allows people to play the factions they want and still do the important forms of instanced content together. It would keep the world content safe from faction intermingling. And also prevent players from talking to the opposite faction(unless you consider you're human friend who is now an orc, alliance). What do you guys think? If you have any reason as to why this is bad besides "It hurts blizzards faction change sales" i'd like to know. Would you use a system like this? I love horde and wish i could still raid with my guild or knock out 5mans with friends despite wanting to not main alliance.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2017-11-07 at 07:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but this is a dumb idea.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Sorry, but this is a dumb idea.
    why is it tho? It's about as much faction intermingling as your friend getting a faction change is. Only it doesnt cost $30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    why is it tho? It's about as much faction intermingling as your friend getting a faction change is. Only it doesnt cost $30
    Check who you are responding to. Engaging with this is not going to lead you anywhere.

Also, it's well past time for crossfactions groups to be completely trivial to make and run with.

I like this since I fucking hate the Horde, but sadly all my friends play that faction.

I would like something to make this work, but considering Blizz took a hard stance on not having the factions play together, I don't think it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Icechaosss View Post
    I like this since I fucking hate the Horde, but sadly all my friends play that faction.

I would like something to make this work, but considering Blizz took a hard stance on not having the factions play together, I don't think it'll happen.
    that's what this solves. they wouldnt be playing together. You'd be playing with your own faction.

that's what this solves. they wouldnt be playing together. You'd be playing with your own faction.
    From a technical standpoint I think that would be fine to implement. Not too sure what Blizz thinks, but hey, I can hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was an Alliance guild on my server who were bum buddies with a guild on the Horde with their own IRC server and Vent channel. They used to hang out together to kiss and make up in camps instead of PvPing. Kinda ruined the whole atmos.

We are getting a legacy server so why not a co-op server where both sides just play together? The co-op server is the only thing that kept Dark Age of Camelot up and running after WoW came out.

No just play on the same faction

The faction concept is a tricky one. On the one hand it can be rather interesting. On the other hand, it can become rather toxic.

Let me give you an example. Me and my RL friends all play WoW for over 10 years and are attached to the story and lore of the game. However, we are rather settled on which faction we support and in a sense, the group is split.

In other words, we almost never play together and if we do, someone gets to compromise badly.

Therefore, the game is no longer enjoyable in the end. For our group of friends, the faction barrier gone would technically help us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Icechaosss View Post

Heh, not much different from my group of friends.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    this is basically how BGs work, but i doubt they will implement this out side of BGs

Deleted
    #1 that would be saying hey lets make it possible in cod: wwii so that nazis and americans can play together.... silly idea
    #2 you dont need to faction change these days just reroll. with the changes in 7.3.5 it will be even faster then before.

Quote Originally Posted by spookysheep View Post
    We are getting a legacy server so why not a co-op server where both sides just play together? The co-op server is the only thing that kept Dark Age of Camelot up and running after WoW came out.
    Gaheris!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    #1 that would be saying hey lets make it possible in cod: wwii so that nazis and americans can play together.... silly idea
    #2 you dont need to faction change these days just reroll. with the changes in 7.3.5 it will be even faster then before.
    More like saying "hey, let's make it possible for americans and russ... oh wait, they did band together to fight the common threat.

I feel like the idea for how cross faction could potentially work gets over complicated. Blizzard should just look at what they are doing with PVP servers. Make it a toggle, make it a distinct player choice. If toggled on players can group cross faction and dungeon/raid finders would allow people from both sides. While toggled off it would never allow cross faction play and like the PvP servers add some incentives for sticking to your own faction for Auto group content.

for normal/heroic raids and m+ the cross-faction invitees could just be palette swapped to the opposite race; easily done with current tech and probably kinda fun for players besides (hey what do I look like as a goblin? etc)

they've already done it in battlegrounds and it was fine, no reason it couldn't be done in instances

Gotta justify that $30 faction transfer fee.

Faction conflict, woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    for normal/heroic raids and m+ the cross-faction invitees could just be palette swapped to the opposite race; easily done with current tech and probably kinda fun for players besides (hey what do I look like as a goblin? etc)

they've already done it in battlegrounds and it was fine, no reason it couldn't be done in instances
    That could work too but I'd say it should be only auto grouping thing like LFD and LFR. If it's a premade group I'd prefer to see the character as the player inteded. Premades could decide if they wanted to allow cross faction or not. Even make in an inteface option in the group finder, if you don't list as "cross-faction" only your faction players would see your groups and if searching for groups you would only see single faction ones. Give that control to the players.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post

I haven't done it in BGs, but I've used the "play the other faction in Ashran" and a big problem with it is the racials. With the Ashran queue, you were turned completely into whatever race it chose and gave you that racial instead of one you're use to or even giving you the option to pick which race.

With OP's idea, they're the same race as they chose from their perspective, but I can see where this could cause more problems with requiring certain races from both factions for people who want to push m+ keys with consistent groups. Also would be weird to see a draenei using war stomp.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom