Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can't wait for all the bitching about it having a separate sub. It's a completely different game remember, why would it be included in a current sub? None of my other WoW Legion accounts are included under one sub, why would Classic be included?

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    95% number pretty much is proof you are just trying to be a jerk. I will imagine it will go like the new expansion though. A month or two of hustle and bustle and then it settling down to its core audience as everyone that isn't leaves to play the other, or the more likely, neither.
    I'm exaggerating a bit, but I really do think it'll lose 90-95% of it's initial playerbase, just maybe not in the first month. There's a core group of people who will want to play vanilla, yes. Not an insignificant number, a big enough number for it to be worth making and maintaining these servers. However, an absolutely enormous amount of people are going to try to play the classic server and people are quickly going to drop off due to leveling difficulties, walking everywhere, not being able to afford their mount, no faction shared tagging for quests, no LFG, no mass loot, most specs being unviable ect ect ect. I don't think people know what they're getting into.

That being said, I'll play the server, I'll enjoy it. It certainly isn't going to be for everyone. I'd honestly bet half the people who start playing don't even hit max level. We'll see though.

LUL, it's going to lose players faster than any game in history, thats the one thing you can be sure of.

if you think WoD was overhyped, classic is going to take WoD to school and teach it all about overhyped.

but it's ok i'll be playing BFA while less than 1% of classic players make 60.

I bet most people in this thread also thought they would never actually release vanilla servers. The people who think this wont take off are going to be wrong again. Weak

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I could see it for a short time. A lot of people are in for a harsh reality with Vanilla though, it definitely won't last long if it does.
    This narrative repeats in many vanilla threads and is so wrong. It will last for years at least. It takes time to progress and there is an absolute lack of catch up mechanics. I had similar beliefs until playing classic again a couple years back. I was reminded why I loved WoW. The aoe facethrash nonsense that is retail is lacking several key mechanics and current design philosophy holds it to such standards.

I hope the success of classic servers can lead the developers in a better direction.
    "Those who dance appear insane to those who can't hear the music." ~~ George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Can't wait for all the bitching about it having a separate sub. It's a completely different game remember, why would it be included in a current sub? None of my other WoW Legion accounts are included under one sub, why would Classic be included?
    That's having more than one account. If they make Classic require a separate sub for NOT new content (which is the whole point of the sub to begin with), that would be the quickest way to ensure Classic will fail quite catastrophically.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by HavokHeart View Post
    This narrative repeats in many vanilla threads and is so wrong. It will last for years at least. It takes time to progress and there is an absolute lack of catch up mechanics. I had similar beliefs until playing classic again a couple years back. I was reminded why I loved WoW. The aoe facethrash nonsense that is retail is lacking several key mechanics and current design philosophy holds it to such standards.

I hope the success of classic servers can lead the developers in a better direction.
    Its pretty hilarious how delusional so many of these retail defenders are. They are in for a massive shock.

vanilla is totally overshadowing the new expansion, fanboys dont get salty but look all over the internet and word of mouth from anyone you know irl that plays video games

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    That's having more than one account. If they make Classic require a separate sub for NOT new content (which is the whole point of the sub to begin with), that would be the quickest way to ensure Classic will fail quite catastrophically.
    But isn't Classic a separate account? The sub pays for server costs etc. WoW Classic will still need maintenance and people to manage the servers, plus dedicated GM's. All that has to be paid for.
    Classic is a separate game from retail. It'll come with a subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Nothing about Classic is difficult though. I seriously hope you didn't just compare a game like WOW to a game with 100 percent dodgeable abilities lol.

Typically I say people who think Classic is hard are noobs, but what you just said breaks any comprehension.
    What i meant by it is that some people dont really need help from the game to beat it, they figure it out and readjust

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have seen so many people that i had no idea even played video games talk/tweet about this its insane. I think this is going to be the largest release blizzard has done in many years, yes even bigger than an expansion release.

My prediction is when this comes out there will be more people playing on classic servers than live, of course i dont expect this to last forever, but for a short period i think this is a very real possibility.
    Maybe but after a month or so when people realize they thought they did but they didn't, there won't be many left.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Not even a chance lol, and the numbers it does get will plummet when people actually get a chance to play the clusterfuck that is vanilla.

Vanilla was good for its time, but by modern standards it is awful, and the community (which is what people really remember so fondly) isn't going to magically return, namely because people could still make those connections today, they choose to be lazy and not make them though.
    The community absolutely will return lol

You just said it yourself that people are lazy. The easiest and fastest way to level in Vanilla is to make friends. You level so much slower without friends, and you're absolutely going to need people to help you out in dungeons at max level. There's no way the community isn't going to come back. They removed all of the necessity for it in Cata and onwards, but it will still be mandatory in Classic. I'm pretty excited for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    I'm exaggerating a bit, but I really do think it'll lose 90-95% of it's initial playerbase, just maybe not in the first month. There's a core group of people who will want to play vanilla, yes. Not an insignificant number, a big enough number for it to be worth making and maintaining these servers. However, an absolutely enormous amount of people are going to try to play the classic server and people are quickly going to drop off due to leveling difficulties, walking everywhere, not being able to afford their mount, no faction shared tagging for quests, no LFG, no mass loot, most specs being unviable ect ect ect. I don't think people know what they're getting into.

That being said, I'll play the server, I'll enjoy it. It certainly isn't going to be for everyone. I'd honestly bet half the people who start playing don't even hit max level. We'll see though.
    I mean... I don't know. I think the game is going to get a lot of players who already know what they're getting into. Nost had like 150k active accounts when it was shut down. There are plenty of people who wouldn't touch a private server due to how sketchy it was. I only briefly played on one, but I'm totally ready for the Vanilla grind. We already have the same shit with Legion now, but the Vanilla stuff is much more organic. I'd rather have to complete a lengthy questline in order to unlock a raid then I would like to farm artifact power and legendary items before I can actually complete a real raid difficulty.

Also, I played on Warmane's BC server for a bit and I legit had fun doing all of the attunements there. They made end game feel like you always had something to work towards without being artificial. It always made sense in a real world aspect. They're not just going to let you fucking walk into their dungeon or raid, you know? Gotta earn that shit first.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Maybe but after a month or so when people realize they thought they did but they didn't, there won't be many left.
    I mean lol, even if only 20% stay that's still going to be a lot of people.

This thread tho is more about the scale of the launch and how many are underestimating how big its really going to be, there are probably people you know that will be playing this and you had no idea they even played the game. Lots of closet WoW fans, many more than what post on forums such as this

I have seen so many people that i had no idea even played video games talk/tweet about this its insane. I think this is going to be the largest release blizzard has done in many years, yes even bigger than an expansion release.

My prediction is when this comes out there will be more people playing on classic servers than live, of course i dont expect this to last forever, but for a short period i think this is a very real possibility.
    More people will be trying out the brand new content then the old content? What a bold prediction >.>

Seriously, though, it will likely launch in between patches/raid tiers/major content so this really isn't a bold guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxal View Post
    For a very, very short time, perhaps.
    Bingo! This is what I'm predicting. Everyone will rush to the Classic Server for the sheer nostalgia only to realize... You know? Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

Now I'll go to it just to re-live the zones as they used to be, but that's all. I do not by any means miss the old mechanics and pigeon holed roles that classes had.

I mean lol, even if only 20% stay that's still going to be a lot of people.

This thread tho is more about the scale of the launch and how many are underestimating how big its really going to be, there are probably people you know that will be playing this and you had no idea they even played the game. Lots of closet WoW fans, many more than what post on forums such as this
    20%? Thats most likely way more than they keep with new expantions.

You're looking at single digits here and thats if the vanilla servers are part of your main subscription. If you pay extra and you most likely have to then it won't be many left at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    More people will be trying out the brand new content then the old content? What a bold prediction >.>

Seriously, though, it will likely launch in between patches/raid tiers/major content so this really isn't a bold guess.
    No im talking even if it released at the same time, i honestly believe this. Obviously its unlikely they will release the exact same day, dont rule out the idea classic releases close to BFA tho....for financial reasons.

Deleted
    My prediction is when this comes out there will be more people playing on classic servers than live
    No, that wont be the case.

so 1.5 mil subscribers? Probably for 1.5 weeks and a swift decline. Not that I want it to fail but people are asking for QoL stuff from expansions after Vanilla. Either they liked Vanilla or not. Apparently Vanilla wasn't so great if they need those features to enjoy it.

Be careful what class you want, a lot of them are high maintenance with gold and time, such as buying reagents or soulshard farming. Even food to keep your hunter pet fed and doing max damage.

Yeah, it will be fun, I have no doubt that i'll have a go for nostalgia... doubt i'll make it to 60 mind.