Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't understand this new type of post coming up and complaining about vanilla, or asking for changes, or wondering "why".

Dudes, some people liked vanilla, a LOT. Some still play it on private realms... those people argued, a LOT, for a official version of classic realms, and they succeeded. There is a demand for it.

If you like it, play it. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you are unsure, try it when it releases. Holy hell.

I loved vanilla. Played a -lot- over the past years on private realms like Nostalrius or Kronos, and i sincerely CANNOT wait for an official version. I'll most likely play that over any active expansion for a long time. I don't even mind keeping an active sub for it. If you don't understand why, who cares. Some people really, really like vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    It's more because it's going to take developers away from current WoW for something that's likely not going to be a big money-earner.

All that's being listed here are facts. If you think they're making Vanilla not look great, there's probably a reason for that.

I guarantee a lot of those have had gold/exp changes to make it more enjoyable.

Another thing: Mounts and pets. Pets took up a bag space for each one, along with mounts. Also, mount training was cheaper than the mounts themselves. Mount training might have been 50g (A big amount) while an actual mount would cost a couple of hundred gold. Generally you bought a single mount, rather than lot's of different colours because of the expense. It was changed towards the end of Vanilla so the mount training cost the larger sum and mounts were cheaper.
    It is NOT taking away developers OR resources from live. Anyone who thinks it is, is misinformed.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    This post actually got me excited to play again. I was on Elysium early this year, played it for a good six weeks or so. The slower paced atmosphere, the required teamwork, the grind, all of it proved to be a surprisingly chill and relaxed atmosphere. At a time where I was stressed, it helped me a lot. I look forward to it eventually returning, even if there are some tweaks here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Reminder that it won't be out for a loong time.
    #comesout withdancestudio
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Reminder of what retail is like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok7_F5_dRFI

Reminder of what Vanilla is like - https://youtu.be/HM40cK5tu7w
    Sorry but no. That video is absolutely biased and should not even be given any credit.

They literally took the Garrison which wasn't a very well received feature and compared it to a huge scale battle.

You can already see the fucking bias from that person when they compare a poor feature from the newer game to one of the few features of an older game.

Why not compare it to a 40 man BG since then it would be somewhat similar to a large scale battle?

Seriously those people who literally just make a video to dump on EITHER game by comparing it at it's worst to a huge feature from the other should be banned from Youtube for being themselves.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 02:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    They said it will be a vastly diferent classic experience, so many of those rants are not applicable to the upcoming classic realm(s).

I don't remember how much gold you could make back then, but I remember solo farming librams in dire maul west was so profitable. Then they nerfed it by placing invisible walls next to the stairs during TBC. So that, for example, should still exist even if it's vanilla with no TBC changes.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Updated the OP with all your great suggestions!

Also wanted to highlight this addition, which I probably should have mentioned earlier:
    --There were some aspects of the game that were enormously fun if you were on the "winning" team and enormously annoying if you were on the "losing" team. Raids of capital cities was one of these things. They were fairly common despite not having an in-game reward, but in terms of server stability they were a mess. Orgrimmar / Ironforge were pretty laggy to begin with because of the solo Auction House, then 40-100 players of the opposing faction would suddenly crash the front door and all hell would break loose. It was iconic and a blast if you wanted to participate, but if you were just trying to do auctions / bank stuff / leave it was a nightmare. If the raid killed the flight master you had to walk to the next nearest city or wait for it to respawn. The opposing raid could kill the auctioneers, the bankers, the flight master. Players with bad internet connections had little chance of staying connected. Even players with decent ones were prone to being randomly DCed. The same thing kind of goes for PvP...if a player could get a hold of AQ40 trinkets or other raid gear, they had a pretty significant advantage in PvP as well. Southshore / Tarren Mill was the same...again a blast if you wanted a nonstop PvP battleground, a nightmare if you wanted to quest there.

Random image link: https://imgur.com/a/oxAZs?gallery#0

Also, if anyone knows/remembers what the preferred debuffs to have on a raid boss were, post them. I remember:
    1--Sunder Armor
    2--Improved Demoralizing Shout
    3--Thunderclap?
    4--Thunderfury proc
    5--Curse of Elements
    6--Shadow Weaving?
    7--Hemorrhage?
    Last edited by garicasha; 2017-11-08 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    It's really simple, you don't want to play it but there is a sizeable portion of ex and current players that do... deal with it.
    Exactly. People forget there have been over 100 million accounts created and that was back in 2014 when they released that statistic. WoW was at its highest subs in the Vanilla - WotLK era, when this game had all those features in place and didn't have the so called "quality of life" improvements. The game was massive when it had all these issues and has pretty much declined steadily since they made the changes.

Sure, for brand new players who joined in the easy era, it might be insanely difficult. For those 100 million former accounts though, it might be exactly what they were looking for again.

As someone who played back in Vanilla and has a different life now than back then, sure, I realize that I might not be able to do what I did back then. Does that make Classic worthless? Not in the least. I sincerely hope that classic is wildly successful, because it would prove all those people who claim "it's just nostalgia" wrong. For many people, the WoW of today and the WoW of classic are two different things entirely.

As for what Blizzard should do, who knows. Frankly, they should just release WoW like it used to be, judge if the players really want changes, and then be willing to make those changes if it really isn't successful. It's a hell of a lot easier to add in a feature or two, or make changes to balance things that weren't back then then it is for them to add in features, have people complain, then remove them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    --I only played on PvE servers, was Blackrock Mountain a constant battleground on PvP servers with the entrances to UBRS/LBRS/BRD/MC/BWL all in the same place?
    Pretty much yes. Rogues and night elves sat in stealth around the gates a lot of the time.

See crappy video that I took a part in;

(im not the recorder btw)

—Until level 40, you ran everywhere. Then you could buy a 60% speed mount, and at 60, 100% speed mounts could be purchased.
    If you were a druid, you were envied by everyone below 40. (And plenty above 40 too)

It was also for these reasons that certain dungeons were hardly ever run at all, such as Razorfen Kraul, Razorfen Downs, and Dire Maul.
    RFK and RFD sure, but Dire Maul was farmed quite often at 60. Not only because of the librams which were used for enchants, but also for the chance at Foror's Compendium of Dragonslaying and the Dire Maul North Tribute run.

--There were no cross-realm battlegrounds, so battlegrounds were against players from one server only. If that server couldn't hit the threshold to pop a battleground in that level bracket because of server imbalance, off-peak hours, low-pop server, etc. no battlegrounds would pop.
    True until 1.12

- - - Updated - - -

Updated the OP with all your great suggestions!

Also, if anyone knows/remembers what the preferred debuffs to have on a raid boss were, post them. I remember:
    1--Sunder Armor
    2--Improved Demoralizing Shout
    3--Thunderclap?
    4--Thunderfury proc
    5--Curse of Elements
    6--Shadow Weaving?
    7--Hemorrhage?
    We used to have to throw Detect Magic on certain bosses like Shazzrah. I honestly can't remember how many we had to do it on though, but we used it lots in PvP.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2017-11-08 at 06:22 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh joy, the days of paying to change specs.

1. Pay to clear your spec points.
    2. Start putting points in.
    3. Are you talents points in the correct places? If yes go to 4, if no go back 1. Yeah your paying for it again, they aren't a charity.
    4. Hearth back to an inn near the dun....oh yeah you used the hearth to get back to a capitol to reset your talents.
    5. Inform your group you'll be there as soon as possible, about 10-15 minutes as the crow flies.

Some people hate walking and running and can't understand why someone would ever not use a car to go places. Others love to go jogging, hike across continents and run marathons just for fun. Different things will appeal to different people.

First the cry for flying.
    Then they cry for classic where there was no flying and so much walking...

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Not really. I'd rather have things more BCish than straight vanilla. That's to get me to play a "classic" server. Notice Blizzard said "CLASSIC" server not "Vanilla" servers as well.

Notice Classic != Vanilla.
    But the whole lead up talking about favorite ice cream flavors Brack said "For some of you, your favorite flavor, is Vanilla"

Sorry you didn't get the reference I guess idk. No point to quote/argue about it. It will be Vanilla.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Paladin,Shaman and Druids getting relics in place of ranged weapon slot.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I think is very annoying in Vanilla is respec costs, don't care what anyone says. It sucked back then and it sucks now on priv servers (most make it much cheaper or cap the gold cost even)
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    The only thing I think is very annoying in Vanilla is respec costs, don't care what anyone says. It sucked back then and it sucks now on priv servers (most make it much cheaper or cap the gold cost even)
    You shouldn't be respeccing all the time in vanilla. That's the whole point of the respec cost. I think it should absolutely stay as high as it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    You shouldn't be respeccing all the time in vanilla. That's the whole point of the respec cost. I think it should absolutely stay as high as it was.
    And that's where the problem comes in. You are stuck being forced to build around PvP or PvE, or perhaps some other small thing, unless you have a decent amount of time and a good farming alt to actually make money. I basically left my Hpriest as PI spec forever because I couldn't be bothered, I was just lucky I liked 5 mans a lot.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Rogue:
    Post 173: Combat swords was the intro raiding spec, and Combat daggers was eventually also viable. Subtlety was taken by 1-2 rogues because hemorrhage increased raid DPS. Back then there were specific talents for the different weapon types.
    Had to carry tons of items for abilities to work, such as poisons, a reagent for Blind, thistle tea, a lockpicking set, etc.
    Had to level lockpicking as a separate skill
    According to some posters were OP dps. They could equip Thunderfury which may have been part of that.
    Were needed for the suppression room in BWL
    There was no mutilate/envenom
    Preferred daggers were a slow weapon-speed dagger in the main-hand and a super fast dagger in your off-hand (UBRS dropped Fel Striker, which was pre-raid BiS. It had a proc that caused your next 3 attacks to be guaranteed critical strikes.)
    Barman's Shanker was very good because of its slow weapon speed.
    No Cloak of Shadows for most raiders, as it was the end talent for Subtlety
    Some corrections and addendums: Combat daggers was the actual intro raiding spec. This was mostly due to availability as Barman Shanker was easily stealth/solo farmable and was BiS through Molten Core before skills were normalized. In reality, swords and daggers stayed pretty close together such that drops determined your spec more than superiority. Caveat: If you had a Thunderfury you were swords, end of story. It was BiS in both hands through the end of Naxx.

Subtlety was generally reserved for higher gear levels and slower mainhands only. At the lower end (or without a 2.7 or slower weapon), you were generally adding less damage with Hemo than the raid lost by you being Subtlety. If you were a Hemo Dagger rogue... You were the laughing stock of the community.

Cloak of Shadows also wasn't added until 2.0, the same patch that added Mutilate (both as end-tree talents). It was eventually moved to level 66 and replaced with Shadowstep for when TBC actually launched. It didn't exist during Vanilla at all.

There was no Combat Potency until 2.0, no increased energy regen whatsoever (okay, not true; Thistle Tea, set bonuses and Renataki's). No Restless Blades. No AoE at ALL other than Blade Flurry, which was two target cleave for 15 seconds on a two minute cooldown, plus required 20 points in Combat. And the biggest one, which I NEVER see anyone mention: Energy regenerated in chunks of 20 every 2 seconds.

Poisons fell off when zoning for most of Vanilla.

Lastly for rogues: IMPROVED FUCKING SAP. Sap removed you from Stealth and required melee range. There was a Subtlety talent that gave it a 90% chance to NOT break stealth. 10% of the time you CC'd, you just died because your group was never ready to pull and Imp Sap would fail. (Your 5 min CD Vanish was still down from when it failed last pack, because apparently 10% was way more than 10%.) It was fantastic. /s

Couple melee notes as well: Glancing Blows reduced the damage you dealt on autoattacks something like 40% of the time by 35%. This was reduced by equipping +weapon skill gear, but could never be eliminated entirely.
    Chain Cleaves/Whirlwinds were a thing. They were cleaving abilities that essentially recast on their second target, and would chain through an entire melee stack if just one person was out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    Current WoW isn't hard. Addons tell you exactly what to do and exactly when to do it. The game plays itself for you. Look at the thousands of guilds that complete the 'hardest' mythic content. Like 20 guilds did Naxx 40. Oh, but it was so much easier! You know who says that? Someone who never experienced it.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but we had BigWigs even back then. You know who wouldn't know that? Someone who never experienced it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    And that's where the problem comes in. You are stuck being forced to build around PvP or PvE, or perhaps some other small thing
    Which is good. You actually need to make choices and specialize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every second in the search for a single black lotus was priceless, call me an idiot but it brought tears in my eyes the very first time I looted it. The tears of joy. The same tears I shed when I first bought my epic mount, the same tear when going through the dark portal first time, the same tear when I entered the sewers of karabor, riding amani war bear into sunwell plateau, achieving "alone in the darkness", obtaining shadowmourne, beating the LK on heroic after 6 months of endless wipes, and finally bringing the thunder king down..time sadly gone past, you may call it nostalgia but it is not. It is not the vanilla I'm missing, it's the feeling of real warcraft, not the plain casual facebook game as it has become long ago.