Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Question Item Level or Gearscore in Vanilla

I started playing in Wotlk and was around when the GearScore addon was released. Everything changed that day.
    Today we have the Item Level which more or less, dictates what content you can do in a group.
    With the announcement of Classic servers I can't help but think how a Legion player can go back to Vanilla and not bring with him his "item level ranking system mindset".

With these said, i am curious about hearing from Vanilla players.

Do you think Gearscore will be ported and used on Classic Servers?
    If yes, how do you think this will impact the gameplay, raiding and overall the Vanilla experience?
    Last edited by zeoos; 2017-11-09 at 08:31 AM.

ilvl\gearscore wasn't everything even for raids in vanilla. Lower quality items with resistances were needed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    It works a bit different in vanilla if I remember correctly. The quality of the item matters so that an iLvl60 epic item is better than an iLvl60 rare item, but don't quote me on that.

Regardless I'm sure someone will figure out a way to determine the value of your items and translate it to a score and that will be the new norm.
    Guarantee some people are gonna create an addon for it with a Gearscore type addon. Although I bloody hope not.

One thing of the old game that I'm glad died out. Although Raider.Io or whatever the hell it's called is slowly plaguing now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wiedzemir View Post
    ilvl\gearscore wasn't everything even for raids in vanilla. Lower quality items with resistances were needed as well.
    And this.

The hell use is 2k Gearscore if you have 0 Fire Resist in MC?

Item levels weren't even shown in Vanilla, but I'm sure someone will make addon to do that now.

Cannot have WoW without itemlevel barriers anymore.

I'm sure some sort of a gearscore-like circle jerk is going to emerge eventually because there is always one. However, I doubt it'll cause any serious impact on the game. I seriously doubt we're going to see a lot of "hardcore" WoW Classic players. If anything, such a slow pace game that is vanilla WoW should attract a more casual playerbase nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Guarantee some people are gonna create an addon for it with a Gearscore type addon. Although I bloody hope not.
    - - - Updated - - -
    We can hope all we want, I can bet that people will make some addon that will include the resistances for calculating the score or some other smart algorythm that will rank every piece of armor.
    I haven't experienced Vanilla and I would want something very similar to the original. With the current mindeset of the regular player I can't really see that happening, but one can hope.

There were addons that could retrieve the item level of an item.
    But that didn't mean anything such as (item level x) = (y amount of primar stat or stamina).
    And as already been stated, the rarity also was an important factor. So the stat budget depended on item level and rarity.

You can read about this on wowpedia -> https://wow.gamepedia.com/index.php?...l&oldid=281588 (this is an old entry!)

Quote Originally Posted by zeoos View Post
    We can hope all we want, I can bet that people will make some addon that will include the resistances for calculating the score or some other smart algorythm that will rank every piece of armor.
    I haven't experienced Vanilla and I would want something very similar to the original. With the current mindeset of the regular player I can't really see that happening, but one can hope.
    Eh let's hope Blizzard break any addons like that.

Will be funny watching the salt from the addon makers. Oqueue springs immediately to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Item levels weren't even shown in Vanilla, but I'm sure someone will make addon to do that now.

Cannot have WoW without itemlevel barriers anymore.
    Well, Wotlk didn't have the item level either, and that didn't stop them from making gear score.

Gear wasn't so linear in Vanilla. Often times dungeon gear from 50-60 was better itemized than raid drops. Hunters used the axe from DM way into BWL and Prot Warriors who didn't get lucky in MC for a shield were using a UBRS drop. It's not like now where there are 150 items for every slot that fill every item level from 800 to 940. There's not much need for item levels to be shown or paid attention to, the required level to equip is usually enough to know the gear is good enough for what you're doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear in Vanilla isn't as linear as it was in WoTLK and beyond, a low ilvl item could be worth more than a lot of higher ones just due to having 1% hit on it. Any decent player in Vanilla is aware of this, and will simply inspect you if gear is a concern.

Deleted
    I started playing in Wotlk and was around when the GearScore addon was released. Everything changed that day.
    Today we have the Item Level which more or less, dictates what content you can do in a group.
    With the announcement of Classic servers I can't help but think how a Legion player can go back to Vanilla and not bring with him his "item level ranking system mindset".

If yes, how do you think this will impact the gameplay, raiding and overall the Vanilla experience?
    Stats on items werent just "X rating", it was %. Like a neck would give you 1% crit.
    There used to be way more stats you had to take into consideration, like expertise and hit rating.
    If those weren't capped your DPS was shit, so ilvl didn't really matter, often times it was better to use some blue due to hit etc.

The best gloves in the game for plate dps was some semi lowish level crafted epic gloves that had stamina, hit and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    Gear in Vanilla isn't as linear as it was in WoTLK and beyond, a low ilvl item could be worth more than a lot of higher ones just due to having 1% hit on it. Any decent player in Vanilla is aware of this, and will simply inspect you if gear is a concern.
    I am not talking about the so called "Vanilla veterans". I am simply asking that given today's standards of people ranking each other based on gear, how would Gearscore infulence the raiding scene?

I am now curious how were people grouping back then. Were they inviting everyone that had attunement and then inspecting everyone for the required items with fire resist etc?

dont you worry - they will have something better your spec will dictate which content you can do

priest/pala ? healer , warrior ? tank/dps and besides those the only ones desired will be rogue and mage - maybe if you will be lucky as hunter/lock (but still you will be unwanted in pugs) rest will be next to nonexistent unless they will want to do their own groups.

have fun playing "true" wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Well you can probably write code for that too, take all your resistance gear in your bags, give it a value and see that along side your regular gear score. I mean hell I could probably write such an addon and I'm not even that good of an addon developer. The API of vanilla is so open it's scary, you can do pretty much everything they've patched out of the game over the years, let's hope that Classic won't have the same issues as vanilla when it comes to addon creation.

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing here. You can calculate the value of an item based not on the iLvl but the stats it has. There is nothing in vanilla stopping the creation of a gear score addon.
    Fair point. Either way I typically avoided gearscore groups so it doesn't make much of a difference to me, but I rarely pug things because guilds make everything easier.

I am not talking about the so called "Vanilla veterans". I am simply asking that given today's standards of people ranking each other based on gear, how would Gearscore infulence the raiding scene?

I am now curious how were people grouping back then. Were they inviting everyone that had attunement and then inspecting everyone for the required items with fire resist etc?
    First off, only tanks and melee really need resist, at least for MC. And yes usually inspects on Org bank or IF bridge.

Item lvl means nothing in Vanilla. There were alot items that were good through all raids like +2% crit trinket from UBRS quest.
    You can also have +9000gearscore and get oneshotted in MC if you have 0 fire resist.

I don't think pugging raids was nearly as much widespread as it is nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account

Even back in the day a lot of guilds had minimum gear requirements, there was just no solid number on stuff usually, just that you had gear from the previous tier. Depending on where progression was you needed close to X amount of resist, but if you were 50 under on that number and had everything else covered you wouldn't get shot down. Attunements were a big thing too, having those done was usually a requirement for heavy raiding guilds, although a lot of casual guilds usually would help you with them because that's what casual guilds were about.

As to how things will be now? Probably not much different. The people you're worried about probably won't have a huge presence at 60, and the people running the guilds and checking gear are probably going to be the veterans because they're willing to put in the time running a vanilla guild and trying to organize 40+ people into raiding while they slowly slip into insanity.

I think pug raids might become pretty big though, people are over all better at the game now even if they seem bad in general, so I can see MC/ZG/AQ20/BWL and even possibly a few bosses in AQ40 being pugged, the first few are fairly easy. Naxx trash pugs were also fairly big, 20-25 man groups farming trash for sweet sweet maces and other things that aren't as important as those sweet sweet maces.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    I don't think pugging raids was nearly as much widespread as it is nowadays.
    It's not that possible unless that pug raid is able to clear the raid in 1 sitting. This is because raid instance Id system back then, if you invite a pug raider without clearing on that day, you are likely to come back to the same raid on another day with all the remaining bosses dead because that pugger form his own raid to clear your raid ID instance.