Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone trying to use a GearScore-esque addon in Classic will be broadcasting to the entire server that they have no idea what they're doing. The stats on an item mattered far more than the item level in many cases--for example, just about every raid wants someone carrying Nightfall for its spell damage taken proc, Edgemaster's Handguards, a mid-level blue mail item, was one of if not the best gloves for Fury warriors due to the extra weapon skill, and resist fights often involved getting trinkets off mid-level bosses and crafted gear well below the power of raid drops so you could resist incoming elemental raid damage.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    What? MM hunter was very very good dps and also needed for pulls, kite and also remove enrage(Magmadar or Chromaggus).
    Yep some people claim they know a lot of "vanilla" either based on anecdotal info they heard other people talking or based on some shitty private server experience. "pugs"? in classic? just Lol.. good luck finding 40 man to pug and get locked into your raid IP and stay the 3-5 hours that needed to progress/clear in there.

Warlocks were in high demand especially during MC days because of all the packs that needed banish to be pulled and killed safely + garr. You couldn't do some trash/boss without hunters because they "enraged" and you needed hunters needed to shoot them with a spell that dropped in MC to calm them the fuck down. Also the massive agro ranged and knockback past the the Garr room meant that he hunter needed to send a pet in to pull all of the next room, 1 by 1 until you got used to those packs or were geared enough to kill them easier. "mages" were locked to frost spec cause fire didnt do shit in MC and arcane was shit.. The limited debuff slot meant you can't bring too much of a certain classes sure but it was no way or shape a magefest or roguefest in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    Yes it did. The tooltip to indicate itemlevel was done in 3.0.
    wasnt at start. It was added in ToC patch 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    It really doesnt matter because skill was the most defined factor.. the best dps was the dps with the correct consumables, doing the most damage without getting aggro
    You can code that too, if you start to draw aggro it'll take the aporopriate measures, if you're missing a consumable you can be alerted or set it to automatically refresh it. EVERYTHING can be automated in vanilla and excuted flawlessly just from spamming one button. I've already written it for my class, I can do it for others and distribute the addon by the time classic goes live.

Deleted
    I'm sure some pleb will spin off a quick gearscore type addon, but it'll be useless.

Only people who are going to use that addon are bad and pubbing. It'll be basically be free advertisement to the server to avoid that person.

Remember, classic realms will have no connected realms, everyone will be on one server. Server communities mean something again, by the time you reach 60 (in 2-3 months) chances are your friends list will be populated with people you can dungeon with and a guild to raid with. And people didn't pub much in vanilla, 40 people with bosses only dropping a few bits of gear means it takes a long time to gear up your core team so fuck giving loot to random pubbies.

It's a completely different experience to what you're used to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rauta View Post
    expertise in vanilla? Dont you mean weapon skill?
    Yeah it was weapon skill

Do anyone actually recall the name of the gloves? Just for nostalgia

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frylord View Post
    I'm sure some pleb will spin off a quick gearscore type addon, but it'll be useless.

Only people who are going to use that addon are bad and pubbing. It'll be basically be free advertisement to the server to avoid that person.

Remember, classic realms will have no connected realms, everyone will be on one server. Server communities mean something again, by the time you reach 60 (in 2-3 months) chances are your friends list will be populated with people you can dungeon with and a guild to raid with. And people didn't pub much in vanilla, 40 people with bosses only dropping a few bits of gear means it takes a long time to gear up your core team so fuck giving loot to random pubbies.

It's a completely different experience to what you're used to.
    This, really.

I feel like I am repeating myself, but how good you are at your role and you skill in social networking will be more important for getting into groups than what gear you are wearing. If you have friends, then they will help you gear up and vice versa. You will need friends you can count on, or your dungeon experience will often be miserable. Imagine someone dropping from your party halfway through BRD and you want an item from the Emperor.

Hopefully the Classic servers are not on a, say, 2 year forced upgrade cycle, meaning they and the community lasts forever. So there will be no time pressure to get to Naxx or whatever in that time frame. If this is the case, then I at least intend to take my sweet time getting to 60, hopefully getting to know a ton of people along the way.

Networking tools like Discord will likely be very important to coordinate activities like dungeon runs across a server, possible far ahead of time (days, even). IE. successful servers will most likely end up with having one or a few global Discord channels for all members of a single faction etc.

I strongly suspect that members of Team GoGoGo, who just wish to log in and form an optimal group for their preferred content, will be in for a rude awakening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure it's already been mentioned, but gear from level 50 could be viable for raids.

If you're applying to a guild you're more likely to get asked what your AP, Int, Crit %, Def etc. is.

If you're doing a dungeon, people will just quickly inspect you. It won't be until UBRS you start getting rejected if you're in mostly greens and you have no reason to be doing UBRS if you haven't done all other dungeons.

BRD is a good place to get geared, and you can start doing that at 50+, although you probably won't finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    BRD is a good place to get geared, and you can start doing that at 50+, although you probably won't finish it.
    Finishing vanilla BRD is easy.

Just remember to save whole Saturday for it. You gonna be in there for a while.

I don't think ilvl was that relevant until Cataclysm, blues/epics could be the same ilvl but the item quality had an effect on the stats. Also, back then every stat on the item was taken into account when it comes to budget, so stamina or bonus armor could take up a chunk of the budget on some items while taking up less on others, many items may have had no stamina at all causing them to have more budget for dps stats etc. As well as that, items with their budget split into more stats generally got a better deal (hence the trend of plate users wearing agility gear, especially during WOTLK).

And also the fact that some items simply didn't follow the ilvl formula, you could have items massively overbudget like Dragonspine Trophy's proc in TBC. Gearscore might exist though, it has completely infected WOTLK private servers to the core (much worse than back in WOTLK retail days) and has even infected TBC private servers to a large degree, despite how poor it is at assessing item quality.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Finishing vanilla BRD is easy.

Just remember to save whole Saturday for it. You gonna be in there for a while.
    Late 50s sure, early 50s, honestly can't remember.

All of the dungeons are easy though.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2017-11-09 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I don't think ilvl was that relevant until Cataclysm, blues/epics could be the same ilvl but the item quality had an effect on the stats. Also, back then every stat on the item was taken into account when it comes to budget, so stamina or bonus armor could take up a chunk of the budget on some items while taking up less on others, many items may have had no stamina at all causing them to have more budget for dps stats etc. As well as that, items with their budget split into more stats generally got a better deal (hence the trend of plate users wearing agility gear, especially during WOTLK).

And also the fact that some items simply didn't follow the ilvl formula, you could have items massively overbudget like Dragonspine Trophy's proc in TBC. Gearscore might exist though, it has completely infected WOTLK private servers to the core (much worse than back in WOTLK retail days) and has even infected TBC private servers to a large degree, despite how poor it is at assessing item quality.
    First came Gearscore.

Then they made average itemlevel base stat in the stat screen and it pretty much killed GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Gear was a lot more complicated then. In a bad way.
    I disagree. I fint it more interesting and fun

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeoos View Post
    I started playing in Wotlk and was around when the GearScore addon was released. Everything changed that day.
    Today we have the Item Level which more or less, dictates what content you can do in a group.
    With the announcement of Classic servers I can't help but think how a Legion player can go back to Vanilla and not bring with him his "item level ranking system mindset".

With these said, i am curious about hearing from Vanilla players.

Do you think Gearscore will be ported and used on Classic Servers?
    If yes, how do you think this will impact the gameplay, raiding and overall the Vanilla experience?
    If Blizzard does not port it, an addon will simply be created that scores the gear of players. That is pretty much what happend in Wrath. People wanted a quick way to judge gear and they made an addon for it. Blizzard later on just implemented one themselfs so people did not have to download it.

But i would not really say it is gonna be that needed in Vanilla, since the colour scheme pretty much helps with that. If you are max lvl and full blue gear, you can do basic ZG and MC. When you have full epic, you can do the harder content and only at Naxx will gearscore really be needed to determind a players gear.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    wtf is item level?

keep that sh*t out of my classic experience
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.