View Poll Results: Will you take the bait?

Voters
353. This poll is closed
  • Of course! Screw Azeroth, death to Alliance!

81 22.95%
  • Of course! Screw Azeroth, death to the Horde!

88 24.93%
  • DEATH TO THE LIVING.

59 16.71%
  • No, I won't. My 16th birthday was quite long ago.

125 35.41%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'm not picky about factions, though all my friends play alliance so...

FOR THE ALLIANCE!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hambanner View Post
    Will you take the bait?
    Until it's proven to be bait, Teldrassil was burned down, someone has to fucking pay for that. All evidence we have at this time points to Sylvanas, as she herself was planning to start a war with the Alliance prior to the events of the BfA cinematic, and the burning of the tree.

Are we supposed to just sit here and twiddle our thumbs after someone torches one of our capital cities?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

They are baseline-MMOC-standard biased. Yes.

I did both. It seems to be a tradition on MMOC to preferably just exclude options that don't confirm one's point or at least to make sure whenever someone chooses a poll option that disagrees with the author's opinion - it has to come with a little internal facepalm.

Anduin, if he is blind or weak enough to just immediately retaliate for Teldrassil, he might think that. Sylvanas? Methinks not. She has proven time and again her priorities are very different. Rank and file soldiers of both factions can think that. They mostly have no clue about all the plots, provocations and false flag ops that led to previous escalations of hostilities which the players know very well.
    The poll is for players, not for the nameless NPC soldiers of the factions or the main toons wearing the might plot blindfolds.

I am, however, slightly puzzled by the results so far. Between the playable faction diehards, Alliance has the lead @..@
    Do you believe then that the Alliance should have shown more restraint with Garrosh? Maybe asked for a truce after Theramore? Because everything we know now about his corruption could - for all our characters know - be also true of Sylvanas.

None of us know as much yet as our characters will know when BfA launches. Those of us who actually think about such things can't know how our characters will feel until we get a complete picture of what they will know, how they will hear it, and what else is going on at the time. Right now I expect my toons to react to Teldrassil about the same way they did to Theramore. My Horde toons will be like "Oh shit we got a crazy at the helm and this ride isn't going to end well". My Alliance toons will be ready to join a posse and hunt the mad dog down. All of them will be horrified.

So much will depend on what we know about Teldrassil when we have to make decisions.

I say all of this despite knowing as a player that the real villain will almost certainly be N'zoth.

- - - Updated - - -

The poll is for players, not for the nameless NPC soldiers of the factions or the main toons wearing the might plot blindfolds.
    If you are asking whether I, as a player, will decide players of the other faction are the enemy... of course not. I am that player of the other faction. The majority of players play both. So of course it's not true for players. The only sensible way to even look at Horde vs Alliance is from our characters' points of view. How does my Tauren druid feel about a world tree/capital of the Night Elves being burned? When he works with many Night Elves in the Cenarian Circle? When he reveres nature and sees all trees as fellow living beings? How will my Troll shadow hunter feel? He was there when War Chief Vol'jin said the spirits wanted Sylvanas to be War Chief. How can he not give her a chance? But like Vol'jin, he's never trusted her and he doesn't trust her now. Will he have any insight as to what really happened? Just because the spirits felt she should lead doesn't mean they wanted her to lead forever.

In the end, each of my toons will have their own positions on the war, and none of them will be thinking "Screw Azeroth".

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    In the end, each of my toons will have their own positions on the war, and none of them will be thinking "Screw Azeroth".
    HmmMMMmm. I guess I'm not nearly that much of a roleplayer in WoW.
    You are one nasty person, touching on complex subjects and views here :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Are we supposed to just sit here and twiddle our thumbs after someone torches one of our capital cities?
    Someone's just thrown a stick and shouted "Fetch!". Are we supposed to just sit there and twiddle our thumbs or should we remember we have no thumbs and just run fetch that stick like good little doggies we are?

Come to think of it yet again... as one of people who see the "gray vs. gray" and ultimate futility of faction war efforts - what do you think about the Forsaken?
    I believe to this day - as i did back then in classic - that giving "Forsaken" - undead, as they are called now - to the Horde was a huge mistake. I came into this game as an Orc Fanboy. Orc Blademaster had always been my favorite Hero in WC3. Honorable, proud...strong. In no way could i imagine they would turn this into some undead-allied shitpile of a story. I was also very disappointed by seeing Nightelves playable at all. At least without their own faction. You can see at multiple points in the story of the expansions that Nightelves simply are "too big" for one faction. Azeroth is primarilly a Nightelven World. That's just how it is. And whenever you, as a player, are told that... you feel like it's a one-sided Alliance theme....when it's not. Whenever you believe the Nightelevn story to be told ...they come up with it again. And - spoiler alert - at some point we will face the Gods of this universe and Elune will play a major part in that. Nightelves should never have been part of one faction only.

The game would be a lot better with 3 or 4 factions:
    - The true Horde - Orcs, Trolls, Ogers, Goblins
    - The "Classic" Alliance - Humans, Dwarfs, Gnomes and MAYBE Highelves.
    - The "Nature/Life/Spirit" faction - Nightelves, Tauren, Draenei
    - The broken/desperate/borderline evil faction - Undead + corrupted versions of other races

And each of these should have had their own, unique "champion class"

This way, a faction conflict would make sense and shifting alliances between the factions would make it so much more interesting. Sadly, Classic WoW was a lot closer to this than current WoW is. The main problem is that some of these motives are simply more attractive to players...and when you do not allow mercenary mode for PvP or co-op play in PvE...it falls flat on it's face.

So they went for an "everybody is gray!"-theme instead...which frankly, i don't like. I think i'm not alone with this, either. Whenever Blizzard decides out of nowhere to turn "my faction" into the badguys (or at least the stupid/lazy/easily fooled ones) i think they are shitting on me, because as a player i always know the truth behind the story.

In the end, the only "good" thing undead could ever do would be to end their misery and let Lordaeron be healed. Or be cured somehow. Both of which can never happen in an MMO where players have characters they invested in for years.

I mean...think abouut it: Sylvanas' goal is to preserve the "Forsaken" at all costs. She wants to conquer Human lands and turn them into undead, making sure they can never retake Lordaeron or cure the land...all the while spreading undeath across Azeroth. Yeah, sure, many Orcs are ok with anything anti-Human...but would they really want to turn their new home into a Forsaken wasteland after they did this to Draeneor? Would the Tauren be ok with this? No. They would not. The Horde - or any faction including living beings - makes no sense allied with the Undead.

Stood in the Fire n7stormreaver's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I loved Alliance since Warcraft 1, always felt unsatisfied playing Horde in campaigns, etc.

Warcraft is the only universe where i feel like alligning to some faction in any way

So yeah, For the Alliance
    Space magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Fuck Azeroth. If bitch didn’t wanna die bitch shouldn’t have got stabbed.

But seriously, unity is overrated. We never loose except to each other we were still fighting each other whilst killing the Lich King and dealing with the Burning Legion.

If we can beat those two while divided we don’t need to unite ever again. Which means I get to kill Alliance to my hearts content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an alliance player but I'll definitely be creating and leveling a Nightborne, seeing as I asked for them to become a playable race within the first few weeks of Legion... I fell in love with Suramar, and with that whole story/faction really, from the outset.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I believe he meant "Dark Trolls" that changed into night elves due to influence from Well of Eternity.
    If you look at old concept art of Night Elves. Like reeally old, they were half-animal savages. Long canines, blood dripping down their chin, they all had animal features not just Malfurion.

Idk why he references it since pretty sure it comes from the RPG, but w/e. Dark Trolls is the correct name now.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluna View Post
    FOR THE HORDE!

My 16th birthday was 15 years ago... but what do I care. I love my faction
    I'm a proud 31 year-old saying......For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by toaae View Post
    I don't understand why some think that just cause two warring sides came together to defeat a great, common enemy, means they would be able to overlook their differences and find a common ground in peace. Like, has any point in history lead you to believe that? The Cold War after WW2 comes to mind.

But, for mostly, it's "lol lore". Just give me some exciting content, and I don't care how hamfisted the over-arching story is. It hasn't been decent in ages.
    I see your point. But i also see the flaws in it. What about Denmark and England? England and France? France and Austria? Austria and Germany? Germany and most of Europe.

Using the cold war and ww2 to stretch the point of factions working togethee against a greater evil, only to revert back to being enemies, falls flat on the ground when you choose to ignore all the other points in history, where enemies became close allies.

Ofcourse, there are also points in history, where friends became enemies for whatever reason.

I main Horde but I've rolled Alliance alts. I wanna see the game from the other (lesser) perspective as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    Ofcourse, there are also points in history, where friends became enemies for whatever reason.
    Usually though, false flag operations were just excuses at the stage of relationship where at least one side was fully committed to the war.

Moot point anyway. When Soviets took Berlin, they stayed for half a century. When Alliance took Orgrimmar, ...
    As has been clarified very verbosely in this thread earlier, there can be no strong war story in an MMO, let alone any sort of resolution. Horde victories in Cata were actually heavily marketed as merely balancing out their worse territorial position from before DW. Didn't stop me from quitting, but it was.

Generally, pointless. It can be either like in GW2, where none of major story points is one playable faction screwing any other one over, or it's SWTOR way with very obvious ever-continuing conflict that pretty much cannot be resolved but cannot stop either. And even with SWTOR way, forcing Outlander to take R/E side after Eternal Throne was so retarded I can't even.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Nightelves should never have been part of one faction only.
    Well, they sort of get divided now that Nightborne join the Horde.

The game would be a lot better with 3 or 4 factions:
    - The true Horde - Orcs, Trolls, Ogers, Goblins
    - The "Classic" Alliance - Humans, Dwarfs, Gnomes and MAYBE Highelves.
    - The "Nature/Life/Spirit" faction - Nightelves, Tauren, Draenei
    - The broken/desperate/borderline evil faction - Undead + corrupted versions of other races
    Now THAT would make a lot of sense. I'd most likely play 2-3 of them and probably even put a lot more faction RP in it.

And each of these should have had their own, unique "champion class".
    If any was clearly superior, we'd have shaman/pally all over again.

In the end, the only "good" thing undead could ever do would be to end their misery and let Lordaeron be healed. Or be cured somehow. Both of which can never happen in an MMO where players have characters they invested in for years.
    I don't think I'll ever shake off my puzzlement about the Forsaken being a playable race in the Horde just like the Tauren.

Would the Tauren be ok with this? No. They would not. The Horde - or any faction including living beings - makes no sense allied with the Undead.
    To think that canonically it was the Tauren who brought the Forsaken into the Horde in hope of helping them...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm an alliance player but I'll definitely be creating and leveling a Nightborne, seeing as I asked for them to become a playable race within the first few weeks of Legion... I fell in love with Suramar, and with that whole story/faction really, from the outset.
    They look super creepy though and chief difference between them and belfs is colours of the skin buildings. The whole mechanics look pretty much the same.

I'm going to play BfA so I guess I will declare, once again, FOR THE HORDE!

Blizz does suck at selling this whole hatred-between-factions thing, though.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Blizz does suck at selling this whole hatred-between-factions thing, though.
    There isn't that much they can sell. Any major shifts of power can only happen from patch to patch and more realistically from xpac to xpac. Burning Teldrassil is enough of a no-sell for me I'm almost sure not to be subbed for the first patch. I don't expect the Horde to take the loss of their Warchief's seat kindly either.
    With that in mind, the most they can ever do is something like SoO which actually was a complete nothing.
    That they even bother is mostly a testament to their poor contact with reality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    I'd rather go back in time and help the Burning Legion win, so Death to the Living?
    Nah you will just become another faction aiming to the same goal: avoiding the void. :P

Deleted
    I'd rather go back in time and help the Burning Legion win, so Death to the Living?
    Apparently demons are living creatures, at least most of them. Can't imagine what manner of life an infernal can possess.

Deleted
    Looking at what the usual populace does, this is somewhat tempting.

Seriously...if joining Bolvar as a third faction to take over the entire planet of Azeroth was an option, I'd probably be all over that(as long as I could roll as a panda DK).

Otherwise my "For the Horde" side would kick in.