Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
    in 2017? Who? the new generation of kids? Yeah right man, they'd get to level 5 and quit. Vanilla will be horrendously unpopular with today's facebook gamers. And if you really think 30+ year olds' that didn't pick up vanilla back then will now..I'd beg to differ.

Agreed, however.
    Consider this... it is VERY likely that more people have quit WoW than are playing it now. That is a huge playerbase that, given the right opportunity, would come back. I suspect we will see the largest rise in subs, ever.

The biggest hurdle for brand new, younger players? There are far too many "free to play" games out there, and too many consoles.

MAGA - Make Azeroth Great Again!

Deleted
    I started playing WoW towards the end of vanilla and i don't think i'll even try classic. Personally i think the games come in leaps and bounds since then in terms of player experience, from story telling to dungeon finder. I'll keep an eye on it as we get more info but at the moment it doesn't appeal to me at all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Consider this... it is VERY likely that more people have quit WoW than are playing it now. That is a huge playerbase that, given the right opportunity, would come back. I suspect we will see the largest rise in subs, ever.

The biggest hurdle for brand new, younger players? There are far too many "free to play" games out there, and too many consoles.

Yes another reality retail people seem to either ignore or cant comprehend. The days of WoW, any version, attracting brand new players is completely over. Retail has already been shown to be unable to compete in new space. Look at Twitch... They have a better chance of getting old players back rather then getting new players in. Playable illidan aka demon hunters did not work... Classic WoW as much as the retail guys cant believe it, has far more space to grow then retail... As for the talks about the content getting stale, thats a ways off... and by that time TBC servers will come out separate with character transfers/copy mind you. They have a good couple years planned out already yet these delusional retail people are still preaching doomsday.

Can topics with shit argumentation like this just get closed please? It's annoying to seperate threads that want a serious discussion from these type of threads that seem like they just exist to try and create a feud between two groups of players.

Maybe classic wow will rival in players when it launches, especially when it launches after the last patch of BfA when everyone is done. However I think the population of the classic servers will also drop radically in a few months after its launch and only a core will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    - returning old players
    - players from main wow
    - new players who never tried wow because they couldnt get a 'clean start'
    - new players in general
    No, that will not happen.
    The vast majority of players that will buy/try classic will leave way befor they ever get close to max level.

I think people are severely overestimating the power of Member Berries.

Classic will be really popular for a few months, then talk will die out once nostalgia is taken away from them and they remember how grindy and repetitive vanilla WoW was and that they aren't getting anything new for it. Its just a trip down memory lane and there's nothing wrong with that; it will be cool to see old Orgrimmar and the vanilla zones pre-Cataclysm again but its not something the majority are going to switch to.

Deleted
    I expect a healthy population for Classic WoW (Especially if the Servers are not under risk of going down because they got a cease-and-desist letter) and many prefer the old school PVP compared to what we have today.

Some of the newer Players will give it a try and quickly return to Legion / BfA but the ones that truly love the game will remain with it and raid MC / Naxxramas over and over again.

Yeah but these players grew up.
    Most will not have the time to spend in a game like WoW.

Many left becuase there were other games to play as well. Games that were more fun or didn't take as much time.

It's simply not likely that classic will have that many active players. It's a good PR stunt that will make Blizzard look better whne the shut down private servers but thats about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
    Yeah man, they are...like 99% of them, instant gratification generation. Good luck.

We were a completely different breed when vanilla came out, for me personally I was 14, and what a glorious time it was for the MMORPG, this is sadly not the case for kids now a days.
    Indeed, it's sad. And it's the reason why OP is absolutely wrong.
    Not only were we different, the gaming scenario was different and we, the old people, don't have nearly as much time.
    People will jump into the novelty and nostalgia, then that heat will cool down as they hit an eternal wall of grinding, realizing that a vanilla server is a never ending sandbox. A very small sandbox at that.

Why do people think that the people that have left because they outgrew WoW will come back to Classic? Stuff is only new once and nostalgia only holds people for so long. .

10+ Year Old Account
    - returning old players
    - players from main wow
    While I don't doubt this will happen, I fail to see why it'll happen in any big numbers. "We want vanilla WoW" is unlikely to be the biggest reason all those ~100 million players left.

That was a valid reason up until WoD, when Blizzard introduced the 'level boost' feature, since you get one free when you buy an expansion, allowing starting players to go straight to the current content to play with their friends instead of having to trudge through all those 100+ levels.

- new players in general
    I doubt they'll remain in any significant numbers. I mean, I'm sure a lot would pour in to experience it, but the average gamer of today does not have time, and/or does not to dedicate the time, to grind through vanilla WoW. I imagine the overwhelming majority of new players will leave before even reaching max level.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Not sure why people really think that ex-players will come back in large numbers, most just got tired of the game and moved on, they aren't coming back.

Seems like there is a lot of projecting going on.
    Same reason 3 million people came back for WoD, then 6 million for Legion... these vanilla/bc/wrath players keep comign back for a short bit hoping for the amazing game they used to love. But it isn't there and they drop like flies in 3-6 months.

NOW when they come back, it will actually BE the game they loved. Millions will come back and stay for classic... overshadowing the "current wow".

No projecting... common sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    The hell is a "fresh start" and why is starting at level 1 with your first character in Classic going to be more of one than doing the same in Live?
    Truly too much to list... but lack of boost items from AH, fresh server economy, a slower pace, zones filled with people (ALIVE once more!)

Chat filled with people asking for and giving help... groups being made for Deadmines... mages providing portals & water/food. rogues providing lockpicking, people buffing you as you walk by.. just because.

If you truly cannot imagine how a "fresh start" iis different than live... then that explains why you are unable to see that current wow lacks all imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Will this forum be filled by useless topics like that or will people actually talk about vanilla ? Right now this more looks like a trash subforum for a "Retail VS Classic" when both can coexist and will probably share the same sub so people who play vanilla can test retail
    I agree .. I hope that admin here create a separate forum for classic talk so I can unselect it in my options and not see another topic about it. Almost all the recent forum posts on the listed on the front page are all about classic and most of those are useless reads like this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    Facebook games? Have you seen what the new generation of kids play? Minecraft. An MMORPG that is literally all grind. They set up their own servers and groups and take on big builds. You know, like we used to set up guilds to beat raids and grinded endlessly for mats to make it happen. Sounds to me vanilla will be right up their alley.
    How is that even close to a relevant comparison? Mine craft is a huge sandbox with no set goals...sure you can spend hours and hours and hours building shit..I can do the same thing on Roller Coaster Tycoon...how does that make it even remotely the same?

https://i.imgur.com/NUHDbUa.png

- - - Updated - - -

Same reason 3 million people came back for WoD, then 6 million for Legion... these vanilla/bc/wrath players keep comign back for a short bit hoping for the amazing game they used to love. But it isn't there and they drop like flies in 3-6 months.

No, they'll do the same thing they do on live. They don't leave because their tired of the current version of wow, they leave because their tired of wow period and only join shortly to view the new content. keep dreaming.

If it's 100% authentic Vanilla, then it won't have very many people staying (albeit a lot of people coming in at first out of curiosity -- especially if advertises correctly by Blizzard and word of mouth is sent). Though if Blizzard is in it for money, they will definitely make a lot of changes to it to the point it could very well be popular for a long while. Though implementing 100% vanilla right now is like trying to get people to play Final Fantasy XI and Everquest when they first came out. Would be popular for those who knew what they were getting into for a while, but all the new crowd and kids will be like "WTF IS THIS SHIT?"

It will depend on the community, the addons allowed, the changes made, etc. Personally interested in seeing the world how it was again, before the Cataclysm (which pretty much ruined my love for the world). Interested in the Grand Marshal / High Warlord grind once more. Potential PvP servers if they don't make it optional like the live servers will be (though I am cautiously optimistic about that in Live as PvPers from all servers will go to the same shard) since there will be no flying. Indeed, even being among the first in my guild to get TIer 3 Dreadnaught because I'm a tank. Though a lot of the little things like some classes only having auto-attacks, the flight points, Buffadins (granted, I loved playing a Buffadin and would do so again), might kind of piss a lot of people off.

Who cares? Also, given the nostalgia factor, it's highly unlikely that your scenario will come to pass.

Depends on if Blizzard will actually "fix" Vanilla.
    Because people won't be playing the old bugged Vanilla for long thats for sure, and a cherry coated Vanilla would be stupid.

On topic, these threads are just annoying. Just wait and see how it works out.
    Hi

How many of the same threads do we really need?
    I saw two threads with an almost identical name yesterday, I even checked to make sure the OP was different. It honestly is as bad as the we want flying threads. The mass of the posters never actually played Vanilla, they just want some control since it is now a thing.

- returning old players
    - players from main wow
    - new players in general
    Yes, returning old players will be in on it.
    Not sure about this one, some will yes, but many in the 'new wow camp' wont last in a classic environment. They've become far too dependent on ease of access and "efficiency".
    Possibly, but given today's instant gratification kiddies, I wouldn't bet on it.
    See above.

Not sure why people really think that ex-players will come back in large numbers, most just got tired of the game and moved on, they aren't coming back.

Seems like there is a lot of projecting going on.

NOW when they come back, it will actually BE the game they loved. Millions will come back and stay for classic... overshadowing the "current wow".

No projecting... common sense.