Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Installing ultra mewn right now. Have work today so can't play much till I get home.
    That's great!! Let us know with some reviews when you play..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosHicks View Post
    That's great!! Let us know with some reviews when you play..
    It's pretty nice so far. You get your pokemin faster. Nicer ui. Not very far in though

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if this really counts as a spoiler but... Defog is now a tutor move, and its distribution is ridiculous.

For those who avoid spoilers, all I mentioned above is related to a tutor move, nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    anything with pokemon on it will sell. the switch is outpacing the 3ds currently. pokemon on switch will easily sell 2 - 4 million copies launch.
    Oh certainly Pokemon will sell, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibúeanor View Post
    The usual Pokemon formula has been selling those games for over 20 yrs now. I sincerely doubt they're going to change it now. There's no reason for that either. As others pointed out, it'll sell anyway.
    While that is true that the same formula has been selling for 20 years, I have to wonder if we can expect the usual formula to work on consoles. With the game, most likely, costing $20 more we will be expecting even more from the games than we ever have. The biggest Pokemon game, in terms of content, was Gold/Silver and yet I never felt Pokemon ever met that benchmark again, besides the remakes of those games, and now many will be expecting FAR more than that with them paying more and consoles able to do more than handhelds. Can Gamefreak deliver not only the same formula we all know and love, but also give us more that the fans expect from a change in systems? Can they innovate in a way that we can be happy with for the future when so much more could be done. Hell, Pokemon still needed to do multi-hit attacks in the slowest way 20 years later even though they could have stream lined that bit of code and animation, so there is a bit of precedence with them not wanting to change things that could be changed for the better. Add on the extra time it will take to make new generations, like most console sequels, and people might be expecting more than I think Pokemon can fully deliver.

It's not that I believe Pokemon will fail on consoles, I'm sure it won't, but Pokemon hasn't changed or added much (non-Pokemon additions I mean) in so long that I wonder if it continues to not add or innovate enough, even in small ways, that I question if people will accept the extra cost from the games.

Or all of these questions and being cautious about it comes from me loathing change in general.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Oh certainly Pokemon will sell, no doubt about it.

While that is true that the same formula has been selling for 20 years, I have to wonder if we can expect the usual formula to work on consoles. With the game, most likely, costing $20 more we will be expecting even more from the games than we ever have. The biggest Pokemon game, in terms of content, was Gold/Silver and yet I never felt Pokemon ever met that benchmark again, besides the remakes of those games, and now many will be expecting FAR more than that with them paying more and consoles able to do more than handhelds. Can Gamefreak deliver not only the same formula we all know and love, but also give us more that the fans expect from a change in systems? Can they innovate in a way that we can be happy with for the future when so much more could be done. Hell, Pokemon still needed to do multi-hit attacks in the slowest way 20 years later even though they could have stream lined that bit of code and animation, so there is a bit of precedence with them not wanting to change things that could be changed for the better. Add on the extra time it will take to make new generations, like most console sequels, and people might be expecting more than I think Pokemon can fully deliver.

It's not that I believe Pokemon will fail on consoles, I'm sure it won't, but Pokemon hasn't changed or added much (non-Pokemon additions I mean) in so long that I wonder if it continues to not add or innovate enough, even in small ways, that I question if people will accept the extra cost from the games.

Or all of these questions and being cautious about it comes from me loathing change in general.
    The switch is not a console. It's a handheld hybrid. More people use it as ahandheld or as both than they do a home console. There is no 4ds coming.

People don't WANT them to change the formula, at least not to a huge degree. We might see small shakeups like trials instead of gyms link in sumu but Pokemon is Pokemon and you don't fix what isn't broken.

The switch is their new handheld, it's their ONLY system.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    The switch is not a console. It's a handheld hybrid. More people use it as ahandheld or as both than they do a home console. There is no 4ds coming.

People don't WANT them to change the formula, at least not to a huge degree. We might see small shakeups like trials instead of gyms link in sumu but Pokemon is Pokemon and you don't fix what isn't broken.

I don't think its as much about changing what is already there as it is about adding something new on top. Even if it is only a bigger world. Given that the Switch is a more powerful console (handheld console is still a console) than the 3DS I feel this isn't an unreasonable expectation

I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pull off Open World Pokémon game (with climbable towers) in the wake of BotW and Odyssey.

Problem might be GF's experiences. I mean we saw that they cannot optimize their code, they cannot optimize their games. Again compare for example YW2 with XY/SM. Both games are similar yet there is huge difference how they look or behave. I mean gens 6 and 7 looks great but still the graphic feels upscaled a lot and especially in gen 7 when there is zoom to the face of your char it's terribad. YW2 on the other hand looks almost flawless graphic wise even though it's actually older game. Not to mention the drops in fps in multi-battles in g6 and sometimes even in g7.

So while switch certainly sports better hw than 3ds/n3ds, I have my doubts GF will be able to utilize it fully. So I wouldn't be much surprised if gen 8 would look like g7 does, which would be kind of issue when streamed on the tv (ie. no one sane would ever do that for longer than couple of minutes just to test it out). Yes, I would definitely want open world pokemon game that I could play on tv, but somehow I fear that's not going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I realized earlier today that 17 November is public holiday in here so won't be able to play US until Monday afternoon >.< #QQ

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibúeanor View Post
    Problem might be GF's experiences. I mean we saw that they cannot optimize their code, they cannot optimize their games. Again compare for example YW2 with XY/SM. Both games are similar yet there is huge difference how they look or behave. I mean gens 6 and 7 looks great but still the graphic feels upscaled a lot and especially in gen 7 when there is zoom to the face of your char it's terribad. YW2 on the other hand looks almost flawless graphic wise even though it's actually older game. Not to mention the drops in fps in multi-battles in g6 and sometimes even in g7.

So while switch certainly sports better hw than 3ds/n3ds, I have my doubts GF will be able to utilize it fully. So I wouldn't be much surprised if gen 8 would look like g7 does, which would be kind of issue when streamed on the tv (ie. no one sane would ever do that for longer than couple of minutes just to test it out). Yes, I would definitely want open world pokemon game that I could play on tv, but somehow I fear that's not going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I realized earlier today that 17 November is public holiday in here so won't be able to play US until Monday afternoon >.< #QQ
    You can be sure gen 8 is going to be pretty featureless with only a year and a half dev time. I reakky feel like them making better graphics cost us a lot of features in gen 6 and 7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to pull off Open World Pokémon game (with climbable towers) in the wake of BotW and Odyssey.
    I woukd quit the franchise if that happened. But luckily, gf are pretty bad devs so i don't have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You can be sure gen 8 is going to be pretty featureless with only a year and a half dev time. I reakky feel like them making better graphics cost us a lot of features in gen 6 and 7.

- - - Updated - - -

I woukd quit the franchise if that happened. But luckily, gf are pretty bad devs so i don't have to worry about it.
    Every generation has barely added any features; Generations 6 and 7 are no different. The problem is in the lack of substantial endgame content; gen 4 had extensive Battle Frontier facilities, and Gen 5 raised the bar to the highest it's ever been with the World Tournament. Then Generations 6 and 7 regressed to the R/S/E era with just a couple options for the new battle tower...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Every generation has barely added any features; Generations 6 and 7 are no different. The problem is in the lack of substantial endgame content; gen 4 had extensive Battle Frontier facilities, and Gen 5 raised the bar to the highest it's ever been with the World Tournament. Then Generations 6 and 7 regressed to the R/S/E era with just a couple options for the new battle tower...
    I count end game as features which is why i don't have a lot of hope for 8. I really really didn't like sun and moon and ultra moon so far is ok so we'll see. Like they had 4 games to figure out the 3ds and still nothing. I blame graphics taking away from end game.

It seems odd to me that Pokemon walk sprites were introduced for all the newly introduced 'mons, seeing how it's never used.
    If they just plan to build on that system and the Switch can handle it, maybe our Pokemon walking behind us will return? I really miss that feature from HGSS.

3DS FC: 0877-1538-7893
    PM if you add me!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanroc View Post
    It seems odd to me that Pokemon walk sprites were introduced for all the newly introduced 'mons, seeing how it's never used.
    If they just plan to build on that system and the Switch can handle it, maybe our Pokemon walking behind us will return? I really miss that feature from HGSS.
    Sometimes a random pokemon in us/m walk up to you and you can play with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a chance that new game will only work on new 3ds and switch. So they force people to go on better tehnology.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    There is a chance that new game will only work on new 3ds and switch. So they force people to go on better tehnology.
    theres 0 chance of gen 8 being on new 3ds. by late 2018 early 2019 3ds will be dead for good
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

15+ Year Old Account
    theres 0 chance of gen 8 being on new 3ds. by late 2018 early 2019 3ds will be dead for good
    Yee. Radiant historia and strange journey are the last 2 games for it. Not a bad last breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are still making games for it tho:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_XI

There are still making games for it tho:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_XI
    that game came out months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    that game came out months ago.
    Only in japan . Well DQ kinda does this all the time.

Only in japan . Well DQ kinda does this all the time.
    The game has been made and finished long ago.

The fact that localization is takign ages doesn't mean it is in proper development anymore.