Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    And you're basing that on your experiences... right? Which is fine. But I am telling you that I played on Sargeras with some of the best guilds in the game at the time and Paladins and Druids were a LOT more prevalent as tanks than your statement would imply.

I did read what you said. You didn't JUST say they were great for waves in Hyjal. You said that was the ONE place they were great. And that simply isn't true. That's the point I am making.
    But the better question is why would you go with a Fiat punto if you could also go with a Mustang Shelby?
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

I mean, there's video out there of a paladin tanking in old Naxx, BWL, MC, AQ, ect, so the short answer to your question is no. The long answer is, no other classes could tank but it took them a LOT more effort to do so effectively. Need to know the class inside and out and lots of consumables. Druids and paladins CAN main tank, but warriors do it better. Perfectly fine as offtanks. There's a couple of guilds out there on those...other..realms running two ferals.

Kinda sucks that the whole "hybrids can only heal" misconception has survived this long.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Sodia View Post
    rrrrrrrrright.... you could hit max 3 guys , thunderclap dident generate agro just so you know or the agro generation was so bad that it was not worth the rage.There was 5+ packs with casters ... and on heroic they war imiune to cc. If you run there in raid/kara grar then i could belive you but first 4 month war was one shoted by this packs. well in most hc dungeons with 3+ packs.
    Bleeding edge guilds didn't use paladins extensively until Hyjal, and most people did shattered halls with warrior+ 2 mages+ the "carry dps that needed attunement" anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    rrrrrrrrright.... you could hit max 3 guys , thunderclap dident generate agro just so you know or the agro generation was so bad that it was not worth the rage.There was 5+ packs with casters ... and on heroic they war imiune to cc. If you run there in raid/kara grar then i could belive you but first 4 month war was one shoted by this packs. well in most hc dungeons with 3+ packs.
    Just lol also (altho most didnt have it) thunderfury, also back in those days you asked the dps to kill in a certain order to maintain aggro (ofc in a pug shit goes wrong)

And no warrior didnt get oneshotted in the first 4 months on +3 packs i dont know where you get that nonesense from.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-11-09 at 09:37 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    As I heard, only warrior could tank in vanilla. Why was that so?
    In BC, paladins were great tanks, so what was wrong with pallies in vanilla?
    Also, druids?
    Gear, paladin needed spell dmg to actually be able to hold aggro, not to mention they didn't have any taunt
    Druids didn't have gear to do anything except innervate priest when priest is low on mana and BR in raids, i think druids were the most fucked class in vanilla wow, and for sure in pvp they were the most fucked
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Remember that Shattered Halls was impossible w/o pala tank.
    I hope you mean Magisters' Terrace, that is when they normalized threat I believe and warriors sucked at holding agro, while paladins had no trouble at all.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'll say it again as I'm the only person speaking any honest truth about this games state during that time period, and people seem to have just passed right over it, only replying to bait posts.

Take it from someone who actually PLAYED vanilla, and played warriors and paladins, (reading half the comments in this thread makes it quite apparent who doesn't know what the fuck they're even talking about, GG)

Warriors were the only real tanks in vanilla because their tree *before we had talent rows, we had talent TREES* was the only tanking tree that gave them all of the toolkit they actually needed to effectively tank. Druid tanks had a lot of HP, yet had no defensive CD's. Pallies had okay CD's, but they lacked the ability to hold aggro on anything whatsoever. Warriors, however, had an *almost* complete toolkit that gave them what they needed to tank, thus warriors were the premier tanks in classic.

Paladin "protection" tree had a LOT of "protect your allies" spells, which were good HOLY spells actually, and druid "feral" tree was more or less just a cat/bear hybrid tree with no definitive playstyle. It was a mess. Due to this, paladins and druids weren't excellent at tanking at all.

Make no mistake, however - in vanilla, druids and pallies made fine off tanks. Back then, there was a CLEAR difference between your guilds 40 man MT (a warrior) and the OT (preferably another warrior lol), but druids and pallies could "hold aggro for a minute" while the real "tank" did something else, like kiting.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    Just lol also (altho most didnt have it) thunderfury, also back in those days you asked the dps to kill in a certain order to maintain aggro.

And no warrior didnt get oneshotted in the first 4 months on +3 packs i dont know where you get that nonesense from
    And how many warriors on a server have that?? 5?? 10??10 if the server was big with many raiding guilds.

No it was not impossible.
    Not at all.

Because when they designed vanilla they wanted specific classes to perform set roles. Warriors were the tanking class, priests were the healing class etc.

Deleted
    Great, now you guys have brought back my BC memories.

10 Paladins Vs Karazhan and Zul'aman. Man the times...

15+ Year Old Account
    And how many warriors on a server have that?? 5?? 10??10 if the server was big with many raiding guilds.
    Tbh it wasnt even needed if you had good group that knew how to deal with big groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose184 View Post
    Because when they designed vanilla they wanted specific classes to perform set roles. Warriors were the tanking class, priests were the healing class etc.
    SP was one of the best PVP casters.If not the best.if does not include feer lock?:P

There was 1 place paladins where great in TBC and that was for the waves in Hyjal besides that you didnt need a paladin tank + they had no taunt in vanilla, as for druids we only started using a druid on Brutalis
    Paladins around T5 gear were god-mode for going through heroics. Get a couple of warlocks or mages in decent gear and you could AoE smash your way through as if it was WotLK. It was fun at the start but I was kinda disappointed that they made AoE tanking the standard going forward.

No it was just really, really hard. As a warrior tank (no raid gear, some token gear from Zul'Aman and Sunwell patches) Shattered Halls normal was harder than pretty much every Heroic (except Shattered Halls heroic of course.)

I guess noone thought to mention that to my warrior.....

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Paladins in TBC got a passive that gave them mana back when being healed. In vanilla they would just go OOM and have no way of generating threat during a raid boss fight, so everyone would die.

In 5man fights weren't as long so it was possible to tank dungeons as a paladin and just drink between every single pull and make the dungeon take twice as long than if you had a Warrior and Bear tank.
    I remember high geared Pallies would not take enough damage to regen mana so often they'd take off their pants to reduce their defenses

Deleted
    Crushing blows iirc. Only Warriors and Bears, but Bears were just less-good Warriors.

Tbh it wasnt even needed if you had good group that knew how to deal with big groups.
    yeah in a guild but what if you didn't have one, or if you need to pug a caster or a healer. Did you ever did a pug in BC ??So yeah a puged HC SH was impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I remember high geared Pallies would not take enough damage to regen mana so often they'd take off their pants to reduce their defenses
    Yeah, and geared Warriors in TBC wouldn't take enough dmg or just dodge/parry too much to generate the rage required to do stuff. Lol, these design flaws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thatmikeguy View Post
    Yep, and Kern tried to change some of that, along with predicting how PvP would eventually turn out, and he was correct. So he was voted off the island.
    I tried to tell some gent in another thread what Tigole and Furor did to Hybrids in Vanilla posted a bunch of links of conversations about them, comments made by them, actions they took. He basically just began repeating the mantra "they weren't in charge of classes" and ignored everything.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...