Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Druids couldn't reach defense cap because most leather armor didn't have the stat, so they suffered in more difficult content.

The lack of tier sets and proper dungeon sets that enabled Druids and Paladin to tank with ease was the main issue, more than the abilities themselves. Having no taunt hurts, but there probably were ways to enable it through set gear. The lack of abilities wouldn't make up for no itemization, which was the main issue both Druids and Paladins faced VS a Warrior.

I played feral in classic. I spent alot of time trying to get all the best gear I could, and I got to a point where I could tank just about anything... however even then it was barely passable. Perfectly good for an offtank but warrior was ALWAYS the better option if one was available.

at least for raiding, I would out-tank a warrior in a strat speed run any day
    Last edited by Kyr; 2017-11-09 at 10:44 PM.

This is one of the many reasons that Classic WoW is probably not going to be as Classic as people want.

Being shoehorned into certain specs should not part of the nostalgia anyways. The community and progression was. Let it be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I guess it varies on the experience one had in Vanilla. I never saw, or heard, of a Bear tank in late-game dungeons and I always recall the general consensus being that bears couldn't tank, but to be fair, there were lots of wild and inaccurate things even the most savvy and nerdy players would believe.
    Dude, it's like the first section of Alamo teechs u 2 play DURID!

OK LISSEN Almo noes about sum durid things sinse the baginning. Maybe B4 durids was week & stuff but now Durids is very storng.

1) OK, Sum durids is bare

2) Tehm whos bare durids, can B 4 tank:

ONLY DURID DONT HAF SUM PEEPS IN THE HEAD AND A GUNZ LOL!

3) Man, sum bare druids can maek sum peeps poop in feer bc/ tehms so storng.

4) Bare druids is not so good at uh moonfare spam but its OK b/c a bare durid haf many armors &

when a thing hits durid, maybe thing gets borken hand LOL!

5) Bare durids is 4 funs when u can charje & stun & haf sum armors lol.
    Thing is I rarely PuGged with Paladin or Druid tanks, just had a few friends who played them very well (it was a Pally tank who took me through the Strat 45min run for the T0.5 chain, he was wearing content-appropriate gear too!)

1. Practically no items existed with defense stats, and holy spell power.
    2. TBC added a passive ability that restored 8% mana of actual healing to the paladin.
    3. Paladins had no taunt in vanilla

So, no taunt, no mana, and no threat.

Druids could not reach the avoidance necessary to remove critical strikes and crushing blows from Boss hit tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What are smoking? In BC pally were the go to tank in 5man heroics. It got to the point where people wouldn't do them unless there was a pally tanking them.

Also. Blizzard said "CLASSIC" servers. They didn't say vanilla servers
    Sure, Pallies were great for 5 mans...didn't see them MTing Raids though (Other than like Kara and maybe ZA).
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hengwulf View Post
    The idea for tanking in vanilla was pushing critical hits and crushing blows off the hit table. Warriors could do it, paladins couldn't - until they got Shield of the Righteous, at least I believe so.
    And bears could never push crushes off the table cause we can't parry or block, so we just soaked them with our higher than average health and armor.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alopex View Post
    Been some time since I thought about it, so my memory might be hazy, but Paladins lacked the ability to hold aggro and Druids lacked the tools to not immediately die.

Sure, Druids had a lot of armor in Dire Bear form, but their only defensive cooldown was frenzied regen, which would drain all their rage for sub-par healing.
    Wasn;'t their bis weapons something like a hammer off world dragons and the femur bone off stitches in duskwood?

You used warden staff and mark of tyranny since their armor scaled with dire bear form

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    This is one of the many reasons that Classic WoW is probably not going to be as Classic as people want.

Being shoehorned into certain specs should not part of the nostalgia anyways. The community and progression was. Let it be fixed.
    As someone who mained a pally from Vanilla through most of wrath, i have to say the tool kit didn't get really good enough till WoTLK. Like some posters said you could do it, and BC had lots of fights actually where pally tanks helped. SSC and BT had plenty of add fights to shine, they also had 8 charges on holy shield which meant a chance of crush getting through on a faster hitting boss such as Leothras or Prince was less than warriors who had i believe it was 2 charges every 6 seconds.

Question goes back to the Devs "warts and all" comment at Blizzcon. Do they sacrifice some of the memberberries in Vanilla and make the classes all playable on all specs? If they do a balance tweek to allow all specs how does that effect encounters? Considering most classes had 1 maybe 2 viable raid specs that lowered our variables considerably, best example i can think of is Onyxia. It was a giant pain in progression, then WoTLK they re-released her and it was "Who needs to wait for tank threat?" and "lol pally tanks stand by the whelps" gg.

Personally i hope they repolish and maybe give encounter tweeks, because what made vanilla epic wasn't the class mechanics but the feel of huge raids, of exploring where we hadn't gone before. Then again i cam someone who experienced the original so i been through the warts. Maybe some like the full experience again

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, before i write anything i throw this in the thread:

No, he wasnt always MT and yes, he was quite "overgeared" for T1 / T2 content when we made that vid back in the days. It worked bcs. the raid was working with Corv and not against his tank ambitions. He also tanked a few times in AQ40 and Naxx and solo offtanked Patchwerk once.

What we learned back then was Droods were terrible with initial aggro but amazing with aggro gain over time and the Healers loved to put him before Hardhitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Sure, Pallies were great for 5 mans...didn't see them MTing Raids though (Other than like Kara and maybe ZA).
    My guild ran the whole content with a MT/OT pally in BC. Depended on the bosses.

+Def itemization was the worst for a Druid. Also, if you ever want to tank, you HAD to take Enchanting for the one rare craftable trinket that provided armor; a must-have stat for bears. You couldn't even buy it from an enchanter, it was a bind-to-self craftable which required near-max enchanting to create. I had to drop max herbalism to get that trinket, and even then I was only viable for dungeon tanking and little else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Well that's a load of horse crap. I mained a paladin from vanilla until wrath. When TBC gave them a real tanking spec, I begged my guild leader the chance to start tanking in Kara. He said I wouldn't be able to. He said I wouldn't be able to hold the aggro and mitigate properly enough. He also told me I'd never be able to tank Maiden.

Well... I proved him wrong. And I did tank Maiden. And I held her aggro fine... because I thought as I tanked and anticipated the silences. In fact, my first night tanking as a paladin was my first night as main tank from Kara through Gruul & Mags, clear up to Sunwell.

Paladins could generate plenty of aggro, as long as their guild was smart. I pulled with my Goblin rocket launcher for single target pulls and consecration created more than enough threat. And all you had to do for taunt was use a macro that taunted the target of your target if the boss targeted someone else. Yes, they didn't have the toolset Warriors did, but they had workarounds.

One of THE most noteable tanks in the game for a long time during TBC was Invisusira, a paladin on Smolderthorn. Paladins were great throughout TBC. Not just on trash packs in Hyjal.

Additionally, I had a friend who was a bear tank who was one of the best tanks I knew and he tanked for his guild the entirely of TBC.
    +1 .

Quote Originally Posted by Eucaliptus View Post
    As I heard, only warrior could tank in vanilla. Why was that so?
    In BC, paladins were great tanks, so what was wrong with pallies in vanilla?
    Also, druids?
    Cutting edge raiding? Yes, warrior was the only viable choice.

Dungeons and outgearing shit? Palas (for alliance) and druids were perfectly able to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    So yeah, enjoy Vanilla, tanks.
    Regardless of warrior being the only viable end game tank, it was vastly more interesting and FUN to tank back then, where threat, crushing blows and the necessity to stance-dance were all important. Managing threat on a 3-5 mob pull? STRESSFUL but rewarding as nothing else.

Tanking nowadays is.... less of a challenge, or no challenge at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    Paladins could generate plenty of aggro, as long as their guild was smart.
    What on earth does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    My guild ran the whole content with a MT/OT pally in BC. Depended on the bosses.
    Our guild had a Pally Tank that could be MT on a few bosses...but Warrior/Druid Combo seemed to be a lot more common in my experience.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    Another issue for Bears was that growl wasn't positively effected by hit rating until patch 2.3.
    Wow I totally forgot about being able to miss taunts. What horrible design. I'm really curious to see how Classic will handle tanking!

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladins can tank 5 mans, but no taunt makes it tricky, the group needs to be very good about assisting off the tank. Paladins have to drink a lot as well.
    Bears can tank almost as well as warriors, they just need gear that's difficult to come by, back in Vanilla we had a bear tank in BWL/AQ40, sadly she quit before Naxx so we never got to see how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Slatch View Post
    Wow I totally forgot about being able to miss taunts. What horrible design. I'm really curious to see how Classic will handle tanking!
    To be fair to the guy you were quoting, Taunt worked off spellhit for warriors so didn't benefit from +hit on gear either, along with Thunderclap and any offensive shouts :P

They don't make 'em like they used to
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.