Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

let’s make modern wow more like vanilla?

Instead of asking for vanilla servers, let’s make modern wow more like vanilla?

Why was vanilla good?

Vanilla was good because you were forced to interact with your fellow players from your realm to accomplish your goal whichever that was. There were no cross-realm zones, no phasing, no group finder, you only interacted with players from your realm and guess what? you get to know them for better or worse. This created the feeling that you belong to something, a higher power, the realm community.

Another big reason vanilla was good is because you had to work hard to get something, just like in real life. The very first starting experience for mmorpg is levelling and that was long and difficult journey where one additional mob tag could be your life. Making game difficult from the beginning what enabled the community to be more hardcore, you got to start from the roots of mmrpg.

Major aspect of mmorpg gameplay is the good old loot. If loot is easy to acquire it losses the feeling of accomplishment and the uniqueness. Blizzard you must stop feeding into the idea that every player just wants free easy things to do. There are so many ways to gear up your character in legion which just defeats the purpose of character progression; if loot is so easy to acquire, why bother putting in the effort which is the exact mindset of current wow players and blizzard encouraged this type of behaviour which makes it even worse.

I remember a moment where even though it was during the Burning Crusade this still applies to classic wow. When I created an account on Tarren Mill and just wanted to see those players like Buzzkill and kungen with all their tier 6 gear looking like Rockstar’s, and that is because they were. Gear back then mattered and if you had those shiny tier sets and in a top guild you were famous, literally people would follow you and interact with you just because you were good at the game. That feeling does not exist anymore because most players can obtain gear so easily, tier sets don’t matter, it’s just a piece of stats nothing else, the prestige has disappeared.

Vanilla was far from perfect with huge design flaws, but you must admit that if so many players to this day still play in vanilla private servers and numerous threads on reddit/mmo champion requesting Blizzard classic servers even with these huge design flaws and crappy graphics there is definitely some good aspect of vanilla wow that is worth keeping. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, just stick to what has worked in the past especially considering that looking at the subscriber count started dropping from WoTLK which is where Blizzard introduced multiple raid/dungeon difficulties and started catering for the more casual and instead of encouraging players to be more hardcore!!!!!

Just a side note; if you are going back to classic wow for raiding then you will be very disappointed. Bosses literally had only one mechanic, 2-3 if you’re lucky and it is same for class mechanics (aka mage spamming frostbolt and nothing else) which will get boring very quick, and among many other ridiculous limitations of vanilla raiding. Trust me my fellow nerd’s vanilla raiding is going to make you crazy.

Deleted
    No no and no again. The current state of wow would never be able to have it that way.. Finally they make classic wow so people can stop this "make wow harderagain", there's only 2 guilds in the entire game that can even do the absolute hardest content before it needs nerfed..so in other words it should be easier..

5+ Year Old Account
    No.

Let's make Modern WoW like Modern WoW and give players more options for connecting with people they want to through communities to increase a person's ability to feel like a part of their community without forcing everyone to stand around in Ironforge shouting about how they need a tank/healer/carry/whateverthefuck.

no. fuck on off to the vanilla servers, i don't want that shit here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    no. fuck on off to the vanilla servers, i don't want that shit here.
    Did you even read the post. All I am saying the features that made wow great could also be applied to the modern wow. If you read my post you would know that obviously vanilla is old game with flawed design but there are still some aspects of the game that many players wants to come back even considering the age of the game

Or we could just wait for classic to come out and everyone's nostalgia goggles will clear up and we can stop talking abut how good vanilla wow was when its best feature could be summed up as "extremely tedious."

15+ Year Old Account
    You fugged up op. This forum has a really stong hate boner for vanilla.

Deleted
    OP same freaking thread everywhere, why nobody understand classic wasn't only about raiding

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fact is very few are going to pay to play original wow in this day and age. I can't wait for more information from Blizz to indicate what "Classic" is going to entail. If they expect to make money from it I bet it will be close to retail wow but reliving the old wow story from launch to TBC with gameplay matching as close as possible. If they want to resell us the vanilla experience along with subs they have to do a lot more than just get a HD-remake working. Otherwise they might as well oversee going open-source with it and direct people to retail from there and the other way around while people go nuts with it under the hood building their own bossfights and battlegrounds using their tools. Private servers are here to stay regardless of what they do.

As fun as playing the same old game again is from time to time most don't stick around for long when you already know the land and how it all plays out because you leveled and explored through it so many times before cataclysm hit. So you won't come back often and when you do you're quickly out again without all or just some of the QoL changes. Anyhow you'll find yourself playing the new patch on retail again sooner rather than later especially if active sub needed covers that too. This is why it was announced they were looking into it after all.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperkut1 View Post
    Did you even read the post. All I am saying the features that made wow great could also be applied to the modern wow. If you read my post you would know that obviously vanilla is old game with flawed design but there are still some aspects of the game that many players wants to come back even considering the age of the game
    We don't need, we heard this before and since a certain server's shutdown we heard it EVERY DAY from people that wanted legacy servers, agaisn't all odds, they got it

Either people don't like your ideas or don't think the Vanilla way will function in today's Playerbase.

As sad as it is...but good luck trying to find a middle ground between modern WoW players who view Vanilla as a bad game, and Classic fans who reject what WoW is now.

classic wow is releasing because blizz knows how diff the two games are now. Im expecting modern wow to go full shit in the coming expansions flying from the start, no more factions, no more toggle wpvp either its just gonna be removed from the game, no more leveling, its going to be what thenew community has always wanted.... warlord of draneor with mythic+

No thanks.

If I want Vanilla I'll play it when it comes out. Which I will be doing alongside Retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Steth View Post
    As sad as it is...but good luck trying to find a middle ground between modern WoW players who view Vanilla as a bad game, and Classic fans who reject what WoW is now.
    modern wow players who hate on classic wow are dumb as hell lol how are you gonna brag about cookies and cream ice cream but not like vanilla? it makes sense to not want cookie toppings on the ice cream and still like the base

Vanilla was just one of those things in the right place at a the right time. It was far easier than its competitors even though it was a long slog at the time.

Where people get the idea that communities were better then, I will never know. But many people seem to swear by it. It was not my experience.

Anyway, things were really only harder back then as a stalling method, and not some genius insight by developers that hardship and grinding added value to the game. It was all about stalling and stretching out a sub... And it could be evidenced almost immediately upon the release of BC, when everything about the vanilla experience started getting easier and faster to do. Why? Because people that don't complete the base material have very little reason to buy a new expansion.
    Last edited by Wingspan; 2017-11-10 at 12:31 AM.

Let's not.

Feel free to take a right turn towards the Classic servers once they release.

Let's not ruin the real game. Introduce classic realms so people can experience it is enough.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Let's not.

I'm hoping modern WoW will become more casual whilst vanilla will act like a magnet for all the elitists and hardcore players.

No. I don't want to farm stacks of a dozen different consumables to raid, have to have resist gear, be benched because I didn't roll a dwarf, help the warlock farm a hundred soul shards before the raid, make the mages log in 20 minutes early to conjure food and water for everyone, run around the world just to queue for some instanced PVP, farm one of four zones for a quite rare flower that only has a couple spawns at any given time just to make a flask, or any of the other multitude of horrible problems that vanilla had that were eventually changed. I played vanilla once, and don't really want to relive a lot of the tedious, boring, and dated mechanics that it had.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperkut1 View Post
    Vanilla was good because you were forced to interact with your fellow players from your realm to accomplish your goal whichever that was. There were no cross-realm zones, no phasing, no group finder, you only interacted with players from your realm and guess what? you get to know them for better or worse. This created the feeling that you belong to something, a higher power, the realm community.
    And that sucked for a great many reasons. Maybe you leveled a horde on a server you didn't know was 90% alliance and now can't find a raid group. Now what? Server change? That wasn't in vanilla so let's remove that too!

It sounds like they're taking more sensible approaches to bring people together (ironically in this expansion all about dividing us apart) with that non-guild somewhat discord-based group system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.