Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New Monitor and iam so lost

Iam now looking around 2 years for a new monitor and iam lost.
    Reading more and more reviews, tech news and watching YT videos about "good gaming" monitors and its like there is no monitor for me.

I would like to buy a 34 inch screen but when i reading reviews all of them looking bad.

It would be awesome if the monitor would do 100hz, g-sync, curved and have a good panel at 3440x1440p.

But IPS = backlight bleeding and a shiny panel
    MVA/VA = no bleeding but terrible TN like colors and terrible for reading text
    VA+Qdot = terrible + oversaturated colors

I could live without g-sync but backlight bleeding is a nogo.

The Samsung C34F791 looks good but get trashed in so many reviews so i wonder if i should wait another year or two till we get better displays.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-484-_-Product

Maybe someone of you know a bit more about a good upcoming 34 inch screen that meet my standards.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Iam now looking around 2 years for a new monitor and iam lost.
    Reading more and more reviews, tech news and watching YT videos about "good gaming" monitors and its like there is no monitor for me.

I would like to buy a 34 inch screen but when i reading reviews all of them looking bad.

It would be awesome if the monitor would do 100hz, g-sync, curved and have a good panel at 3440x1440p.

But IPS = backlight bleeding and a shiny panel
    MVA/VA = no bleeding but terrible TN like colors and terrible for reading text
    VA+Qdot = terrible + oversaturated colors

I could live without g-sync but backlight bleeding is a nogo.

The Samsung C34F791 looks good but get trashed in so many reviews so i wonder if i should wait another year or two till we get better displays.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-484-_-Product

Maybe someone of you know a bit more about a good upcoming 34 inch screen that meet my standards.

Thanks for your time and help in advance.
    Asus ROG Swift pg348q curved_gsync monitor review
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Overpriced and terrible backlight bleeding.

Last edited by Miyagie; 2017-11-12 at 10:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Sigh, people haven't the slightest clue. This stuff gets posted multiple times daily and people still don't know why it looks as bad as it does. I doubt it's half as bad as these pictures make it out to be. Look up what overexposure means. Photos will always be an awful representation of what you're actually seeing in person. QC can be shit with any panel. And that looks more or less like IPS glow, and not backlight bleeding.

That said, however; the AW3418DW seems to have better luck with regards to quality control.

@Miyagie, IPS vs VA = both have their pros and cons. IPS is generally the way to go for casual and semi-competitive gaming. If you're playing very competitively then TN will offer the best response times and highest refresh rates but with poorer overall picture/color.

VA panels tend to have better black levels than IPS. The only downside to VA panels is they have horrible ghosting in comparison. IPS panels you deal with ips glow and generally worse blacks than your VA counterparts.

The PG348Q is not a TN panel btw..
    Last edited by SLSAMG; 2017-11-12 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
    Sigh, people haven't the slightest clue. This stuff gets posted multiple times daily and people still don't know why it looks as bad as it does. I doubt it's half as bad as these pictures make it out to be. Look up what overexposure means. Photos will always be an awful representation of what you're actually seeing in person. QC can be shit with any panel. And that looks more or less like IPS glow, and not backlight bleeding.

That said, however; the AW3418DW seems to have better luck with regards to quality control.

@Miyagie, IPS vs VA = both have their pros and cons. IPS is generally the way to go for casual and semi-competitive gaming. If you're playing very competitively then TN will offer the best response times and highest refresh rates but with poorer overall picture/color.

VA panels tend to have better black levels than IPS. The only downside to VA panels is they have horrible ghosting in comparison. IPS panels you deal with ips glow and generally worse blacks than your VA counterparts.

The PG348Q is not a TN panel btw..
    Ok didnt know IPS glow and backlight bleeding are 2 different things and i red that the Asus had a IPS panel but i just gave a quick overview on the Guru review and it sounded like its a TN panel, on my second reading i figured it out that i was overreadin something ^^.

The AW3418DW looks perfect put cost in germany 1600€ so no thanks .

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok didnt know IPS glow and backlight bleeding are 2 different things and i red that the Asus had a IPS panel but i just gave a quick overview on the Guru review and it sounded like its a TN panel, on my second reading i figured it out that i was overreadin something ^^.

The AW3418DW looks perfect put cost in germany 1600€ so no thanks .
    Nobody pays full retail for dell products. Dell has recurring sales so you just have to keep an eye out. Plus, black Friday is right around the corner.

15+ Year Old Account
    Damn that thing is sexy! But shit, $1299.?

Even my computer spending habits cant justify that

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

It might be overpriced, but it is one of the best, if not the best gaming screen out there. bleeding is not problem on the Asus ROG Swift pg348q. That picture is just bad

This one should be one of the best overall 34" screens Philips Brilliance bdm3490uc ultra wide 219 curved display review

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Damn that thing is sexy! But shit, $1299.?

Even my computer spending habits cant justify that
    Yeah i would never spend that much money on any thing for my computer. For a tv for my livingroom i would, but not for my computer
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

15+ Year Old Account
    It might be overpriced, but it is one of the best, if not the best gaming screen out there. bleeding is not problem on the Asus ROG Swift pg348q. That picture is just bad

This one should be one of the best overall 34" screens Philips Brilliance bdm3490uc ultra wide 219 curved display review

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i would never spend that much money on any thing for my computer. For a tv for my livingroom i would, but not for my computer
    I am trying to justify it to my wife.

I told here we could just watch TV in my computer room....

she facepalmed me!

i bought the Acer predator
    it´s 34inch wide. 21:9 ratio and 3440x1440P
    it's curved.
    it's 100hz when overclocked ( most times i don't even bother because my system can't handle triple A games at this resolution )
    it has G-sync.

don't notice the back bleed on my monitor. but it's different per monitor. some are worse then others.

tiny bonus. it has red leds underneath the monitor.

only downside i have atm is the stand.
    the legs take allot of space on the front of the screen. the stick out allot.
    lucky for me i got it on a monitor arm to reclaim that space.
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I have had the Samsung S34E790C since it came out, at $1,200 USD after taxes, and my God, it's been amazing. I actually find its colors superior to the ASUS AH-IPS panel I had before. For gaming, it is RICH. Probably due to the deeper blacks.

I can't comment on the 100Hz newer version, but I imagine it should pretty much be the same thing, but with 100Hz. You could always try it and return it if there are issues?

(The colors on this are DEFINITELY better than TN, btw.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Personally I have had the Samsung S34E790C since it came out, at $1,200 USD after taxes, and my God, it's been amazing. I actually find its colors superior to the ASUS AH-IPS panel I had before. For gaming, it is RICH. Probably due to the deeper blacks.

I can't comment on the 100Hz newer version, but I imagine it should pretty much be the same thing, but with 100Hz. You could always try it and return it if there are issues?

(The colors on this are DEFINITELY better than TN, btw.)
    Ofc i can send it back if its bad and as soon its on sale i gone buy it but maybe someone knows abit more about this screen or 34 inch screens in general.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ofc i can send it back if its bad and as soon its on sale i gone buy it but maybe someone knows abit more about this screen or 34 inch screens in general.
    I genuinely think you should just get it and see how you like it. If you don't, send it back.

That's what I did... first I bought the ASUS ROG Swift, the original TN one, the 27" and I hated it after 3 days and returned it and got this instead. Still waiting on the right monitor to come out to replace it. I'm waiting for something truly extraordinary and superior.

I have a feeling it will be another 21:9, 3440x1440 or something in the 5k-8k resolution space, HDR, 100Hz+, VA or something similar...

Yeah, I've got a while.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I genuinely think you should just get it and see how you like it. If you don't, send it back.

That's what I did... first I bought the ASUS ROG Swift, the original TN one, the 27" and I hated it after 3 days and returned it and got this instead. Still waiting on the right monitor to come out to replace it. I'm waiting for something truly extraordinary and superior.

I have a feeling it will be another 21:9, 3440x1440 or something in the 5k-8k resolution space, HDR, 100Hz+, VA or something similar...

Yeah, I've got a while.
    So OLED panel for monitors that dont burn in ^^.

10+ Year Old Account
    So OLED panel for monitors that dont burn in ^^.
    It does exist, called Eizo CG3145.

There's also a lot of misconceptions going on... Me and Artorius made several posts about this and it's kind of just copy paste at this point.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30546265

Back light bleed will affect all contents by the way, not just dark material like IPS glow. Advantages and disadvantages for each panel type for modern panels (not talking about old 6bit color depth ones, which is what people keep comparing it to) are actually in certain areas.

Also the entire point of Quantom Dot is to increase color gamut which in turn means oversaturated colors in most content on Windows cause it sucks at color management with different color space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It does exist, called Eizo CG3145.

There's also a lot of misconceptions going on... Me and Artorius made several posts about this and it's kind of just copy paste at this point.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30546265

Back light bleed will affect all contents by the way, not just dark material like IPS glow. Advantages and disadvantages for each panel type for modern panels (not talking about old 6bit color depth ones, which is what people keep comparing it to) are actually in certain areas.

Also the entire point of Quantom Dot is to increase color gamut which in turn means oversaturated colors in most content on Windows cause it sucks at color management with different color space.
    Personally, I knew this long before you made that post, bud. Nice humble brag though.

And OP, the best 1440p ultrawide on the market right now is the AW3418DW because it can do 100hz native. It's possible to overclock it to 120hz in most cases.

There's been delays on ASUS's PG35VQ (their new 35" 1440p variant) which can do 200hz, and supports HDR. Only downside is that it's a VA panel. Originally they were expected to release Q4 of this year but it doesn't look like we'll see them till late Q3-4 2018 because of problems in the manufacturing process.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. And bleed is a problem with every monitor... Just because you lucked out doesn't mean others will.

It can't do 100hz native and it most cases users can only overclock to 90-95hz before overshoot ghosting becomes a problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I knew this long before you made that post, bud. Nice humble brag though.
    This wasn't quoted at you. Bud. Dont think Remilia was bragging.
    @Remilia didnt say, "for your information TheGOAT, There's also a lot of misconceptions going on... Me and Artorius made several posts about this and it's kind of just copy paste at this point."

Take your high horse attitude somewhere else, we don't need that shit here. You see, here we try and get along, when shits like you enter the scene is when people start flaming each other.

OT to your recommendation, also a good link to a article, benchmark etc to your claim "And OP, the best 1440p ultrawide on the market right now is the AW3418DW because it can do 100hz native. It's possible to overclock it to 120hz in most cases." is generally appreciated, or its just your opinion. Opinions are not frowned upon but statements of "The best" without evidence is.

Forum etiquette, use it, people will take you seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    This wasn't quoted at you. Bud. Dont think Remilia was bragging.
    @Remilia didnt say, "for your information TheGOAT, There's also a lot of misconceptions going on... Me and Artorius made several posts about this and it's kind of just copy paste at this point."

Take your high horse attitude somewhere else, we don't need that shit here. You see, here we try and get along, when shits like you enter the scene is when people start flaming each other.

OT to your recommendation, also a good link to a article, benchmark etc to your claim "And OP, the best 1440p ultrawide on the market right now is the AW3418DW because it can do 100hz native. It's possible to overclock it to 120hz in most cases." is generally appreciated, or its just your opinion. Opinions are not frowned upon but statements of "The best" without evidence is.

Forum etiquette, use it, people will take you seriously.
    Love the assumptions.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...e_aw3418dw.htm

Mmo-champion is great in how much relevant information/entertainment it puts out, but damn if mmo-champion users are not the scum of the Earth. I can't think of a site that attracts more hyper-PC beta cuckolds than mmo-champion. Occasionally you might a sub-forum with semi-normal people (neither "normies" or memelords, but something in between), but as soon as it gains popularity, the echochamber mentality begins. These white knights preach about what great people they are, when in reality most of them have a rotten core.

It's like there's no healthy medium. Every site has 1 of the following demographics:

1) White knight cucks
    2) Memelord autists
    3) Pretentious assholes
    4) Forty-year-old parents (normies)
    5) Overly sensitive SJW's aka the PC tumblr cunts

You guys guys know of a site that is less shitty and isn't overrun by one of those demographics?

Infracted - Mythbredor
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2017-11-13 at 04:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love the assumptions.

Mmo-champion is great in how much relevant information/entertainment it puts out, but damn if mmo-champion users are not the scum of the Earth. I can't think of a site that attracts more hyper-PC beta cuckolds than mmo-champion. Occasionally you might a sub-forum with semi-normal people (neither "normies" or memelords, but something in between), but as soon as it gains popularity, the echochamber mentality begins. These white knights preach about what great people they are, when in reality most of them have a rotten core.

It's like there's no healthy medium. Every site has 1 of the following demographics:

1) White knight cucks
    2) Memelord autists
    3) Pretentious assholes
    4) Forty-year-old parents (normies)
    5) Overly sensitive SJW's aka the PC tumblr cunts

You guys guys know of a site that is less shitty and isn't overrun by one of those demographics?
    I don't know, which category do you fit in?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, which category do you fit in?
    3 respectively.

Now go on and take that high road. Like it matters on the "internet".