Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I can imagine a lot of players will try classic wow and quit but it will probably keep a group of players from 25000 to 100000 people playing it. Really organised guilds will probably have regular raids on it. I am not excited about it at all but i will probably give it a shot as horrible as it sounds.

Such statements are dismissed for the same reason we can yours about the number of players, because we don't know.
    There will be a novelty factor, from both new and old players.

Recent interviews suggest something more faithful to the original, than the "fixed" version demands.
    And there is what I think will kill the interest for a lot of people.

My opinion, is that it won't long-term have the numbers that we are told it will.
    Novelty factor, and patches will bring people in, but I suspect the popularity of it as something players take seriously is overhyped.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    I have a hard time believing that vanilla wow will be more popular than retail long term.
    Millions of people left, because wow changed from vanilla.... now they will come back for classic and not for retail.

Can't wait for everyone who claims Classic to be successful to see how it will end up.

People don't have the patience for playing how it was back then.

As an example: If you want to only PvP, you will have to put in about 12-16 hours each day in BGs with as good as zero downtime to get to max rank. While you are farming honor, you will have to farm a bunch of gold for every rank you rank up, as PvP gear cost gold. So not only will you have to play atleast 12 hours each day in Premade BGs (to make sure you win them all), but you will most likely spend an hour or so each day farming gold by killing mobs, because there isn't that many good gold farming methods.

Also, leveling: Now it takes as good as no time to get to max level, back then it took me about 3 months (I was a huge noob though), and if I don't recall wrong the fastest lvlers did it around 6-8 days /played, so 144-192 hours played just to get to max level.

So my bet is that there will be a TON of people jumping on classic servers when they come out, most of those will quit before even reaching 20. But as long as Blizzard does it right, and lets say 20,000 people stick around, that is more than enough to keep the classic server breathing. But it wont be such a huge success as you guys seem to think. People are bloody crying about AP grinds in Legion, just wait for them to give a go at farming fire resist gear for MC? Or heck, even to farm enough to unlock Ragnaros.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    Millions of people left, because wow changed from vanilla.... now they will come back for classic and not for retail.
    Haha, that's so cute.

As if "millions" of people didn't try the game and not stick with it during Classic. Fact: No iteration of this game ever had a tenth of the number of accounts created retained at one point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Only if you play with your nose.

Stop with this bullshit, it didnt take us 2 years to clear Vanilla , it took us 2 years because stuff werent released yet and unbalanced as fuck, it was 2005, now everyone knows where everything is, it will be roflstomped by the people already roflstomping it in private servers and that roflstomped it in 2005.

With the difference, there is no searching involved, or bypassing shit, we know where everything is.

Everyone knows what the Hounds in MC do now, everyone knows who to dispel in Lucifron, everyone knows everything, those bosses were cleared in shit ass gear, and they will be cleared again, this time much faster cause people know what to do, no surprises, no "wtf"
    you still need to gear up 40 people...several times...with 2-3 items droping at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsix View Post
    That is wrong, millions of people left because it changed from WotLK.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ossyc View Post
    Does the same not happen with the current retail version?
    Retail version has WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more stuff to do.

Classic will be a rush of people wandering in for nostalgia, then leaving a few more getting one toon to 60 and leaving and very very very few people hanging around to run old raids.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Only if you play with your nose.

Stop with this bullshit, it didnt take us 2 years to clear Vanilla , it took us 2 years because stuff werent released yet and unbalanced as fuck, it was 2005, now everyone knows where everything is, it will be roflstomped by the people already roflstomping it in private servers and that roflstomped it in 2005.

With the difference, there is no searching involved, or bypassing shit, we know where everything is.

Everyone knows what the Hounds in MC do now, everyone knows who to dispel in Lucifron, everyone knows everything, those bosses were cleared in shit ass gear, and they will be cleared again, this time much faster cause people know what to do, no surprises, no "wtf"
    People like you make me wish there was a like button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    That is wrong, millions of people left because it changed from WotLK.
    That is wrong.

Millions of people left, millions came in. The playerbase being simpletons only focusing on 1 sub count total in time rather than overall financial growth and continued life of a product doesn't change that.

And "millions of people" leave for millions of reasons. We have people proclaiming that millions quit due to pet battles too. If it was that easy to pinpoint how to keep customers hooked, the business of gaming would never hit the wrong target.

Deleted
    Classic surpassing Live in subs etc etc is a blantatly bullshit and you must be idiot to even think something like that.

Nevertheless....Classic will be more "enjoyable" over Live even after some months due to no burnout

I think Classic will have enough consistent players to sustain itself for a good while, but I think anyone thinking it's going to bypass live is deluding themselves. It'll have a big spike of people checking it out, but while there are people who will legitimately enjoy it more than live, the game's outdated content and mechanics won't have a wide enough appeal to rival the current version of the game in 2018 or whenever it comes out. Probably after BFA launch by a good margin.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Ask yourself why numbers in retail go down. Usually its because of content droughts. The second legacy goes live it is on a content drought. Not to mention how they release the limited content is going to be interesting. For example, if its a patch cycle, there would be no BG's in wow for months.
    While I am all for Classic, cant wait actually. @Packers01 has a point and so does @schwarzkopf.

We all loved classic when we were there. It was new, it was hard (At the time) it was a open world full of excitement and danger. I'm not a nostalgia freak and I do like the timesink that doesn't involve daily/world quests. (Professions, farming mats, attunements etc) but after 4 years of the same content and leveling alts, we were all in need of fresh content, and we got it.

It was getting old and in need of a xpac and Blizz release TBC just in time as people were starting to get bored, yours truly included.

The question I have is this, does classic expand? Do we go a different timeline in a different direction than current live? I mean think about it. For those of us that like sinking time in a game the way we did in classic, does Blizz expand that in a different direction than current wow?

I would love discussion on everyone's theories and ideas that played original wow, before WoTLK to chime in and tell what they think, in a positive manner, and not bash people for their ideas and thoughts. I for one am thinking about this, we cant stay locked in Classic forever, we will get bored, its human nature...what do we do, move onto live, where does this go?
    Last edited by moremana; 2017-11-12 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    you still need to gear up 40 people...several times...with 2-3 items droping at a time.
    Wrong.

I am on phone now so cant type match but whole vanilla end game gear was covered in 30 ilvls.

Not 200 like today.

Which means blue DM items and UBRS dont get removed by MC items.

ZG etc. There is tons of relevant gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    That is wrong.

Millions of people left, millions came in. The playerbase being simpletons only focusing on 1 sub count total in time rather than overall financial growth and continued life of a product doesn't change that.

And "millions of people" leave for millions of reasons. We have people proclaiming that millions quit due to pet battles too. If it was that easy to pinpoint how to keep customers hooked, the business of gaming would never hit the wrong target.
    Fair enough.

Classic will always have plenty of players.

There will always be players; I would imagine at least a similar number to the current WoW.

I'm absolutely sure that will happen. Just like every other expac as you say.

I'm just hoping it doesn't damage the guild my main is in in the 'real' game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I'm just hoping it doesn't damage the guild my main is in in the 'real' game.
    I wish i could call retail the "real" game. I just can't

There will always be players; I would imagine at least a similar number to the current WoW.
    Yes, but retail also has a continuous stream of new content to lift it back up. Classic will have a huge surge, a massive drop from the people who immediately remember how awful it was or realise they can't put that much time into the game, and then a continuous slow trickle down from people giving up/not enjoying it/not able to keep up until it gets to a (relatively to the surge) tiny amount of people remaining who will play it for a long time. There will always be players like you said, but no where near the amount that play live servers.

Deleted

The drop-off for classic will be significantly higher than for retail. Vanilla is already known and figured out for the most part. Retail will be new content.