Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This absolutely shouldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    People completely lost sight of what was Classic... or simply put never played it and just come up with the most absurd suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -
    I've played the game since day one, so go ahead and spew your judgemental bull shit. The vast majority of the players on the classic realm will quickly become bored with the game and return to retail unless it's polished and that I can assure you of. People who never played Vanilla will get tired of constantly walking back and forth between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms up until level 40 with the shitty quest flow. Most players currently playing are reluctant to venture to a dungeon when a group is formed and sit around in a city until a summon is available, the vast majority of WoW players are extremely lazy these days and won't put forth effort spamming /2 for a group and having to venture half way across a giant continent to run a dungeon.

I just find it hilarious that so many players believe they're going to truly relive their vanilla experience. You know what made vanilla great? The community did. It was a fuck of a lot less toxic back then compared to what it is now. Shamans exclusive to Horde and Paladins exclusive to Alliance didn't make the game great, Defense rating, hit cap or resists didn't make the game great. Players bitched so much about loot that personal loot had to be implemented, just wait until 40 people are fighting over 2-3 pieces of loot off of a 40 man raid boss. Yeah, the classic server will flop unless changes are made.

I'd rather them just make it so shaman gear doesn't drop for alliance and vise versa. It's simpler and doesn't impact game balance.

People completely lost sight of what was Classic... or simply put never played it and just come up with the most absurd suggestions.
    That lie just keeps being repeated. Of course we played classic or we wouldn't remember all the things that were broken about it. It'd be more like "wait, alliance didn't have shamans? Whaaaat? That's silly."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-11-12 at 08:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    By that I assume you mean getting loot nobody on your entire faction could ever use.
    Please stop this shit already. Tokens only dropped after the TBC prepatch was on servers. Before that you never saw a single shaman item on alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'd rather them just make it so shaman gear doesn't drop for alliance and vise versa. It's simpler and doesn't impact game balance.

That lie just keeps being repeated. Of course we played classic or we wouldn't remember all the things that were broken about it. It'd be more like "wait, alliance didn't have shamans? Whaaaat? That's silly."
    You didn't have to play vanilla at the time to know some of its issues, that's just daft, and that's the problem. People are suggesting fixes and changes without having insight on the impact it would have on the game experience. But hey, boost to 50, dual spec to everyone, mounts at 20, remove skill costs from trainers, bla bla. Have at it, just ruin it entirely, so you can shout out "HAHA WE KNEW IT, VANILLA** SUCKED!"

** not vanilla whatsoever with those changes, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shockzalot View Post
    I've played the game since day one, so go ahead and spew your judgemental bull shit. The vast majority of the players on the classic realm will quickly become bored with the game and return to retail unless it's polished and that I can assure you of. People who never played Vanilla will get tired of constantly walking back and forth between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms up until level 40 with the shitty quest flow. Most players currently playing are reluctant to venture to a dungeon when a group is formed and sit around in a city until a summon is available, the vast majority of WoW players are extremely lazy these days and won't put forth effort spamming /2 for a group and having to venture half way across a giant continent to run a dungeon.

I just find it hilarious that so many players believe they're going to truly relive their vanilla experience. You know what made vanilla great? The community did. It was a fuck of a lot less toxic back then compared to what it is now. Shamans exclusive to Horde and Paladins exclusive to Alliance didn't make the game great, Defense rating, hit cap or resists didn't make the game great. Players bitched so much about loot that personal loot had to be implemented, just wait until 40 people are fighting over 2-3 pieces of loot off of a 40 man raid boss. Yeah, the classic server will flop unless changes are made.

And here we go again, perpetuating a nonsense idea.

You do realize there are private realms (very active ones) with Vanilla right? People have been playing them FOR YEARS, and even if its not the 'original experience', you'll never have that again, it's fucking enjoyable. That's why people cried for an OFFICIAL server for close to 10 years... How hard is it to understand that a large group of individuals actually WANTS THAT? Funnily enough, most of the aspects that you mention not making the game great, are actual reasons why vanilla was great. But yea, remove all that, fuck it!

Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    It's shit in your opinion, not in mine.

I don't get why you want it any different if you believe the game was shit in 2004-2006. I don't go around screaming for Sonic 2006, but with changes to make it less shit. I just play a different game.
    You might enjoy it, but it is (by today's standards) an inferior game in many respects. I enjoyed vanilla as well when I played it back in the day. It was new and I didn't know any better. A lot of arguments can be made about what made vanilla what it was, and what it got right. However, not everything is a matter of opinion.

Graphically it has fallen way behind the current iterations. Perhaps you prefer the charm of the older models (I prefer some of them myself), but they are objectively worse models. The class balance and itemization was also objectively bad. The devs were still trying to figure things out, and you would have to be deluded as fuck to say that they got it right the first time around. There isn't even a definitive version of vanilla since there were numerous changes made throughout the expansion to address the MANY mistakes that were made early on.

Classic WoW isn't vanilla WoW, and it can be whatever it is they decide to release. To me, "as close to the vanilla experience" doesn't necessitate that they emulate every little detail from the 13 year old original game. As far as I'm concerned, Classic WoW just needs to have the same lvl60 cap, same zones, dungeons and raids, and most importantly the same game pace (lvling, gold acquisition, PVP progression, etc) as vanilla WoW.

You didn't have to play vanilla at the time to know some of its issues, that's just daft, and that's the problem. People are suggesting fixes and changes without having insight on the impact it would have on the game experience. But hey, boost to 50, dual spec to everyone, mounts at 20, remove skill costs from trainers, bla bla. Have at it, just ruin it entirely, so you can shout out "HAHA WE KNEW IT, VANILLA** SUCKED!"

** not vanilla whatsoever with those changes, by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

And here we go again, perpetuating a nonsense idea.

You do realize there are private realms (very active ones) with Vanilla right? People have been playing them FOR YEARS, and even if its not the 'original experience', you'll never have that again, it's fucking enjoyable. That's why people cried for an OFFICIAL server for close to 10 years... How hard is it to understand that a large group of individuals actually WANTS THAT? Funnily enough, most of the aspects that you mention not making the game great, are actual reasons why vanilla was great. But yea, remove all that, fuck it!
    I'm aware of the private realms. When Nostalrius was new it had a high population, but it consisted of players from throughout the world not a region and it wouldn't have maintained those levels in the long run. Oh yeah farming for resist gear was a blast. Being half a percent under the hit cap and experiencing the RNG of a miss, miss, miss was so exciting. Having to deal with absurd itemization that lacked any kind of direction was so "charming". Guilds currently have difficulty maintaining a strong 20 man roster for current mythic raiding with a limited time set (the hardcore raiding mentality is dead), yet somehow it's going to be absurdly easy for guilds on a classic realm to maintain a 40 man team that requires at least 25 hours weekly spent on content? Even when AQ was new my guild had to spend a night clearing BWL to gear up new recruits because there were no catch up mechanics like the badge system introduced late in TBC. Most players don't want to deal with that bullshit again and only want to invest minimal effort.

You know what was fun about Vanilla? SS vs TM. The strong sense of community. AV battles that lasted eternally. You know what wasn't fun? The shitty over rated raids that were over tuned and lacked any kind of interesting mechanics. The horribly designed flight path system. Having to use 10 players to clear a 5 man dungeon. In the long run it's going to appeal to a small amount of players and will never compete with retail over the course of an entire year.

Can we at least get barber shops in classic?

OP that is asking for way too much. Stop posting please. Thanks.

I don't want a balanced game. I want Vanilla the way it was, minus the obvious infrastructure vulnerabilities/instabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarus View Post
    I don't want a balanced game. I want Vanilla the way it was, minus the obvious infrastructure vulnerabilities/instabilities.
    ^^

Load a server with patch 1.12, only have Molten Core and Onyxia open, fix possible bugs with said patch in said hardware and the new battle.net and then get a couple of dudes to maintain it and release staggered content.

No re-balance, no tweaks, no new qol changes... just release the same fucking game.

- - - Updated - - -

and it wouldn't have maintained those levels in the long run.
    You do realize there are others, right? Kronos for example just opened Naxxramas last month, and it's probably more populated than ever, rivaling or even surpassing Nostralrius numbers.

There is a huge amount of players interested in vanilla that resort to private realms since there is no official choice. Hell, even more avoid those servers since there's no guarantee that they'll be up for the long run... Blizzard's Classic realm will pull all those strays in.

- - - Updated - - -

and will never compete with retail over the course of an entire year.
    Why on earth would it ever compete with retail? That's not the point. Holy hell.

A neccessary change for the sake of balance.
    Didn't we have enough of "homogenization"? Better keep factions unique, classes unique and useful, professions unique.

If you want more balanced Vanilla/Classic then go play Legion. It's pretty much that.

Also, it's funny people act like "Classic" is some new term coined by Blizzard in recent times. I've had multiple friends who had been playing since classic in wotlk and they always referred to it by 'classic'. When I told them I read about "vanilla" on some forum, they were confused what I'm even talking about. Vanilla is just another term for classic, mostly popular in the US and maybe UK. Classic is how a large portion of the playerbase have been referring to it for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Classic isn't TBC, it's Vanilla.

Big expansion feature of TBC was draenei shaman and blood elf paladin, that's not Vanilla.

Doesn't matter if its an existing race.

TBC wouldn't be TBC either with dwarf shaman.
    Ahh yes, factional class balancing was a 'feature'.

Here I assumed it was a bug fix marketed as a feature.

Next you're going to say ignite rolling was a feature too, roflmao.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Can we at least get barber shops in classic?
    That is something that i'd love, you don't gain any advantage or lose any of the 'hardcoreness' of classic by adding a barber shop.

Deleted
    By that I assume you mean getting loot nobody on your entire faction could ever use.
    I remember that happening at the end close to or even after the TBC pre-patch and it was most probably an oversight. Don't act stupid.

Fundamentally, I agree with you. The community will never come back and that's what made vanilla. I've never understood how going back 13 years in terms of features, design and just in general knowledge brought back the community, let alone brought back the original feeling of vanilla.

It just doesn't make sense. I don't even like thinking about some of the dumb, stupid, annoying shit we had to deal with for years just for it to be patched out or expansioned out as a feature or some nonsense. It's a ridiculous notion that has failed in literally every other iteration of games trying to embrace the vanilla WoW format without a market big enough to support that niche. The vast majority of those games are forced to modernize and if people don't think WoW classic won't be modernized in some fundamental way, they are kidding themselves utterly and completely.

As far as I'm concerned. It's Blizzard's shit, they do what they want. But I also have known Blizzard as a corporation for 13 years and I know damn well the "players interest" and "the community" are the absolute and complete least of their concerns. You would have to provide me with proof to make me say otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    That is something that i'd love, you don't gain any advantage or lose any of the 'hardcoreness' of classic by adding a barber shop.
    NOPE CATACLYSM FEATURE SKREEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I'd personally love it, but I know there's some vanilla purist out there with that opinion.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

And..? I mean yeah it kinda of sucks but Vanilla wasn't all about gearing up in full epics the moment you hit cap.
    You have the option to play live/BFA if you'd like to experience that however!

I would not lay any money on Blizzard doing something like that.

If you want to make changes necessary for balance, that means changing like 80% of Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.