Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles55 View Post
    I'm glad they're going to continue with the pathfinder system. God forbid people have to actually play the game to unlock it's rewards. Props to Blizzard for not caving in to the raging man children on the forums demanding flying at launch.
    100% this, but beware the angry whiners..

People whinged about not flying in Argus "because like totally brah! my druid flight form doesn't show on argus! I demand a fix for this! now I have a 100% totally useless mount". [Yes, this was an actual topic...]

Deleted
    I'm glad that this is the route they're taking with flying. There's so many different toys and class abilities that should satiate your "flying" needs until the actual flying patch. Or just don't sub until you can fly, your choice.

Its good to see so many people agreeing that Blizzard made the right decision.

Sorry if repeat...

The fligh tmasters whistle was a great compromise as a benefit reaching max level
    Rawr

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I like the Pathfinder system, though I will say sometimes they attach things to it that are a bit on the grindy side. I'm not really sure that exalted rep is necessarily a good indicator for someone having experienced content but that's really only a minor nitpick and hardly worth fussing over at all.

Besides, being account wide makes the rep requirements even less irritating. I've been forced to be a casual for quite some time; had to stop in legion for a bit as well just before the Nighthold opened up. Came back about a week before argus released and it really only took me a solid 8-12 hours of play time to catch up and unlock flying.

With that said though, I also hope this doesn't mean a complete end to the "Designed with flight in mind" content. I liked places like Icecrown and most of Outland that were designed along side of flight. I think that in areas of the game where it might make sense in the future, they could consider keeping it in place unattached to pathfinder.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    As much as i enjoy flying in the open world, i think the pathfinder-approach is way more fun than fork over a hand full of gold and you are good to go.
    The only thing i am not really cool with is pacing and time/patch gating.
    I just hope we get to finish pathfinder earlier in BfA and/or the regions are not as mace like and more vast and open regions of big scale (like wrath regions).

But they said in an interview that they review how to improve pathfinder and even thinking about going the BC/Wrath way with flight integrated content. That would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    With that said though, I also hope this doesn't mean a complete end to the "Designed with flight in mind" content. I liked places like Icecrown and most of Outland that were designed along side of flight. I think that in areas of the game where it might make sense in the future, they could consider keeping it in place unattached to pathfinder.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baneberry View Post
    Sorry if repeat...

The fligh tmasters whistle was a great compromise as a benefit reaching max level
    Ooo yes this! Would definitely like to see the flight masters whistle return.

Deleted
    Flying is the most boring convenience ever, it is pretty much shitting on all the artwork that is being put into the zones.

I mean the zones the art team is giving us expac after expac are just more and more gorgeous, from the colour palette to the music I love discovering them and questing in them. Suramar is so fucking beautifull, these guys don't get enough credit.

Flying was added in BC as "THE" feature of the expansion, the zones in BC are really not the best compared to Azeroth and the fact that they were literally huge floating pieces of land, it didn't really feel transgressive to fly straight across them.

But once everyone was flying around it backfired completely as things like questing and farming were made completely trivial and boring, also destroying world pvp for that matter. In Cataclysm it was awfull to just fly across an entirely remade azeroth.

They are now forced to gate flying so that it doesn't mess too much with their design decisions.

Flightposts are everywhere now and they are more than enough.

I don't think no flying is causing so much of a subloss opposed to boring content. I always unsub when I am bored. Spamming LFD/LFR, farming transmog/mounts (oh god), and flying to go insta-questing is not exciting content for me, I'd rather unsub or level a new character, but they made leveling boring aswell so...

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    That's great to be honest. I'm glad they're learning from it and not caving into the minority. =)
    Since when is the no flying group the minority? Everyone I ever talk to in game hates unlocking flying. This is once again of people putting wax between their ears and carrying on like always.

oh wait I forgot most of the people who loved flying unsubbed and have been the biggest loss in subs over the years and why wow is only popular for a couple months after new expansions.

The worst part is that the whole debate began because Blizzard is trying to save money/time between expansions to catch up the development. Which I get that. If it was hey were trying to get things out the door faster and not take an extra 6 months I would be fine. But they sparked a whole "playstyle" and "emersion" debate trying to justify it. For all you guys who are glad it's gone wth. Just ride around. You still don't see other players. The whole thing just pisses me off because the lack of flight is just an annoyance.

That's right you guys are supporting the annoyance of players. That's all this is. Not being able to fly made me hate the zones I leveled and had to grind rep through. It killed off all love I had for alts and by the time you grind out the crappy pathfinder you don't want to play the game anymore.
    Last edited by shammypie; 2017-11-14 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteCharger View Post
    Flying has been part of the lore of WOW since the RTS. Remember the airstrips above IronForge? The reason blizzard doesn't have flying is because they don't want to spend time and effort producing content related to flying. There are many ways to keep folks grounded in certain areas if that is their desire, such as magical barriers, flying enemies, enemy weapons etc. They just haven't put forth the effort to produce such content since Pandaria.
    see someone who understands. Nothing in the Flying debate was ever about player opinion. Blizzard never cared about what you enjoyed the most only about selling a product with the most cost effective ways. Activision has been shoving them into it as well. They aren't nearly as focused or invested into the game anymore. it shows both in subs and their finished products. Raids have been recycled blandness and they are moving into a PvP model for more stable sub numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha okay. Lovely hypocritical response, good luck with that.
    facts and one's own experiences are hypocritical? Bro I'm just trying to disillusion people into thinking no flying has anything to do with player opinion. It's all business. If anything MoP had the best flying model imho. but then they haven't put the same amount of resources into the game since then. The active subs were falling already since the game was losing steam. But they usually went prime time WoTLk whenever new content came out. It was the droughts that caused them to rethink and re-allocate resources. So pathfinder was implemented to buy development time. Then a lot of people got pissed off and left. The no flying group only seems the minority because they stopped trying. They know no one cares and the only voices you hear are brown nosers like yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zagden View Post
    Exactly why I'm happy for this. The Stormheim mountain climb was great, too. You can do so much more with the content when you have to hunt things on the ground, find efficient routes through giant fortresses and navigate the hostile streets of suramar. With flying, all you can do is put things on the map for us to divebomb. I could stay on the ground while everyone's flying, but having flying feels like a cheat code that everyone else usually has on. Everything feels like less of an accomplishment. And beyond that, there are players who will complain when flying is taken away but have more fun with the quests on the ground than they thought they would have had.
    Actually most of the time I was cursing Blizzard their grandmother while question. I almost uninstalled the game when I got to Highmountain. Then I would curse every demon hunter I saw because of the built in parachute. I had none throughout the entire experience and was playing a monk. I died more from falling in the broken shore in 1 week than I ever have in wow in all of 6 years. It's great if you have a bunch of free time to do nothing but run back to corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    Yeah on a forum. 99% of them will be the first ones to jump on flying mounts as soon as they can. I don't mind pathfinder really. They just take far to long to add it.

in other news water is wet and blizzard still hsan't learned how to make flying actually be part of game play vs using it to skip over badly designed terrain. sigh. Makes me wish i was the type that could un-sub and re-sub but after 13 years of being subbed just can't break the tradition.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmyan View Post
    Flying is the most boring convenience ever, it is pretty much shitting on all the artwork that is being put into the zones.
    Well.... your opinion differs from mine i guess. But if this is the way you like to see it, it is your right to do so.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are still incapable of creating good content that involves flying mounts. They tried in Cataclysm, but it was mostly ground content elevated so that, to access it, you had to fly.

Aerial combat, stamina metters, acrobatycs, movement puzzles - so many things to do while flying, but it's just a very slow teleportation tool. Oh, the woes of an old engine.

Great argument. It's basically non existent at this point. But you're right, it's the content itself, thanks for admitting it. Flying being in the game is irrelevant, You really think if the game was suffering so much because of it not being there, they would continuously push for pathfinder? It's all business, as you said. They do what makes them the most $$. No one gives a shit enough to quit over flying in a game, and my god if people are genuinely quitting over something like that then good riddance. We need less of those people in the community.
    It's just not affecting the game as much as you force yourself to believe it is, I'm sorry.

Let me ask you though, do you really believe more people would have stayed in WoD if it had flying?

See this is some good criticism. One that I can agree with. Faster Pathfinder or more perks on the ground would be a great addition.
    lol bro settle down, the wax in the ears goes both ways and it frustrates me as well. I get pissed off because I hear keep hearing "the vocal minority." The simple fact is that if you could fly you would. Just like if you can drive instead of walk to work you do etc. Then Blizzard comes up and says everyone you'll have way more fun walking to work. It's ok we didn't listen to anyone who didn't agree with us. In truth the split was close to even with a small faction as undecided. It made me proud to be an American at how close it resembled politics. But there wasn't a vote, there was business decision. That's what made people quit more than the actual loss of flight. The cold hearted way Blizzard treated it's customers with no respect for their opinion. This thread didn't start out as a civil conversation it started out as one side bragging they got what they wanted. Even though in the end not even the winner's opinion mattered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    They are still incapable of creating good content that involves flying mounts. They tried in Cataclysm, but it was mostly ground content elevated so that, to access it, you had to fly.

Aerial combat, stamina metters, acrobatycs, movement puzzles - so many things to do while flying, but it's just a very slow teleportation tool. Oh, the woes of an old engine.
    They actually had some challenges that were added in early mop for unlocking cloud serpents. You had flying races and a few minigames to do. You can actually do quite a lot with the system they have but the real reason you never see it is development time. You could restructure an entire zone to be 3d with flying enemy patrols to floating platforms to aerial labyrinths. Heck you have quests that require you to pick and grab rats and throw them into a cooking pot. All it is, is the addition of the 3rd dimension. But this takes too much time and testing to work well within the game. It's what I have been getting at this entire time. Everything boils down to money and they get enough doing the same thing over and over again so why bother with change. Funnily enough it's also the reason the revolutions happens.

The people who think the majority of players like pathfinder/no flying are shockingly stupid.

I see they don't need players? That's OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Or you might start wondering why the world feels a bit more empty, and why you don't see anyone threatening to unsub
    Good riddance if they are crybaby enough to unsub over not having flying.

Makes it that much easier to continue to skip out on the game.

Pathfinder is fine; it simply needs to be unlockable upon reaching max level and doing/exploring stuff, not artifically locked off for x number of months because the B team devs are butthurt over the existence of flying mounts.

Aaaaaaand, this just in...

IDGAF.

(Flying is so trivial, I don't think I'd even notice if an expansion didn't implement it.)