Thread: Attack Torb :/

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Until you get to high masters, where you're expected to be able to play many meta heroes very well, it's better to play something you're very good at.
    If you do that how can you expect to get good at other heroes?

I have like 150 hours on my main but like 20-60 hours on a bunch of other heroes from other categories. My only real restriction is that I play mostly projectile-based heroes.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    So take a break from comp and learn a different hero, or play with a dedicated team of people who support your pick. Don't force that burden on five strangers because you want to have things your way.
    So instead let 5 strangers put the burden on you to play Champs you aren't good at. I'd rather a good One Trick Torb on any game-type than a shit tier Hanzo or Genji instalock.

- - - Updated - - -

I have like 150 hours on my main but like 20-60 hours on a bunch of other heroes from other categories. My only real restriction is that I play mostly projectile-based heroes.
    Also there is this thing called Fun. I don't play quite a large amount of heroes in Overwatch because I find them absolute unboring trash. Why should I not have fun playing Ranked and instead be expected to play unfun trash? Most people that also complain about One Tricks are people that are selfish that don't change their Heroes either but expect others to to accommodate them.

Maybe he doesn't have time, or the will, to play enough to get really good at multiple heroes, especially with an ever shifting meta. I suppose the argument can be made that he shouldn't be playing comp, but if he is a legit good Torb then he's still a net gain for his team in most situations, compared to most mouth breathers that play OW. It doesn't help that QM is pure cancer, so that isn't really a viable option for someone wanting to play specific heroes in a serious environment.

As long as he is willing to switch to tank or support occasionally, or if getting completely shut down as Torb, I see no reason he can't play most games as Torb.

People who make the competitive experience "infinitely" more difficult for the strangers they get grouped with shouldn't be rewarded for persisting with that strategy, IMO.
    Honestly, and I am being hyperbolic up front here, it's late and I don't feel like thinking too hard on this;

If that's the attitude I get for comp, then fuck it.

Disable all heroes except for Tracer, 76, Genji, Junkrat, Rein, Zarya, D.Va, Mercy and Zen in the competitive scene and lock map rotation to Volskaya Foundry only. If the mantra is you get banned for playing something that inconveniences other people and displays their inflexibility to adapt to off-meta selections, then give it the Smash Bros. treatment and sterilize everything to hospital white.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Honestly, and I am being hyperbolic up front here, it's late and I don't feel like thinking too hard on this;

If that's the attitude I get for comp, then fuck it.

Disable all heroes except for Tracer, 76, Genji, Junkrat, Rein, Zarya, D.Va, Mercy and Zen in the competitive scene and lock map rotation to Volskaya Foundry only. If the mantra is you get banned for playing something that inconveniences other people and displays their inflexibility to adapt to off-meta selections, then give it the Smash Bros. treatment and sterilize everything to hospital white.
    This is what i think everytime i read something like "Play not your hero play Meta!" and im afraid its exactly this what those people want.

Why have 20+ heroes if your only allowed to play 6? Seems like a waste no? XD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    As long as he is willing to switch to tank or support occasionally, or if getting completely shut down as Torb, I see no reason he can't play most games as Torb.
    If someone is getting reported enough that they're banned and the ban is upheld there's probably more to it going on than just one-tricking. For example the player who came out with the recent thread was soon revealed to have thrown at least one game when another player locked Torb and wouldn't give it to him. That sort of behavior suggests a larger pattern of toxicity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfluff View Post
    Is playing torb in attack a reportable offence I'm really scared COs 6 pple reported for me for playing him and I don't want to get banned also if I refuse to switch will I get banned. Also does blizzard voice record games because some guy told me to suck his dick and said my mum is a fat whore these are not nice things can I report him for this ? I feel like I'm being constantly abused and this upsets me
    It is only reportable if you are refusing to switch when you are doing nothing but getting countered which is considered poor teamwork.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    It is only reportable if you are refusing to switch when you are doing nothing but getting countered which is considered poor teamwork.
    1. Define nothing
    2. Prove that the person your complaining about is doing what u consider to be nothing
    3. Read the official rules created by the devs on what poor teamwork actually means not what you personally think it means
    4. Read point 3 again and really try understand the words used
    5. Have a lovely day

10+ Year Old Account
    play an off meta hero, even well, get a ban
    play a meta hero, poorly, no ones gonna complain

Raggtagg put it best
    Im going torb, can I get a sheild? No? Reported for poor teamwork.

Attack torb best torb is better than a totally pro gengu who totally has the total skillz

funny enough a well guarded turret counters the 2 best heroes in the game, genji and tracer, which have no true counters. The turret cares not for their mobility which is what makes them so difficult to counter.

but yea nobody is reporting one trick mercy or tracers because they are meta heroes in the eyes of the community but anything else is "bad" even if a guy has an almost 60% win rate as torb
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Define nothing
    2. Prove that the person your complaining about is doing what u consider to be nothing
    3. Read the official rules created by the devs on what poor teamwork actually means not what you personally think it means
    4. Read point 3 again and really try understand the words used
    5. Have a lovely day
    He is shown on his own stream (Fuey500) that he knew he couldn't do anything about the enemy team because there were too many shields (he was Tjorb obviously) he even stated "I can't do anything too many shields, yeah I could switch to Reaper but I don't want to" THAT is poor teamwork and a reportable and bannable offense.

He is also well known in the top 500, streamers, and youtubers for being that way.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    funny enough a well guarded turret counters the 2 best heroes in the game, genji and tracer, which have no true counters. The turret cares not for their mobility which is what makes them so difficult to counter.

but yea nobody is reporting one trick mercy or tracers because they are meta heroes in the eyes of the community but anything else is "bad" even if a guy has an almost 60% win rate as torb
    Both Tracer and Genji are shut down heavily by Winston, moreso Genji than Tracer though. I'm not sure why people continue to say they have "no true counters". And he's FAR more useful than a Torb for that, since he doesn't require a team to build around him in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    He is shown on his own stream (Fuey500) that he knew he couldn't do anything about the enemy team because there were too many shields (he was Tjorb obviously) he even stated "I can't do anything too many shields, yeah I could switch to Reaper but I don't want to" THAT is poor teamwork and a reportable and bannable offense.

He is also well known in the top 500, streamers, and youtubers for being that way.
    What you stated is not in the official rules.

The rules on the over watch website say the following:

Poor teamwork is: Not trying to complete match objectives or constantly communicating in a negative fashion (i.e. "This team is horrible").

Poor teamwork is not: Playing a hero that isn't considered optimal by the community or staying silent in voice chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Both Tracer and Genji are shut down heavily by Winston, moreso Genji than Tracer though. I'm not sure why people continue to say they have "no true counters". And he's FAR more useful than a Torb for that, since he doesn't require a team to build around him in the same way.
    Uhh no Winston doesn't heavily shut down them. They out range him they might have a hard time when their caught out of position but other wise no they don't have true counters
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Uhh no Winston doesn't heavily shut down them. They out range him they might have a hard time when their caught out of position but other wise no they don't have true counters
    He has a bubble for that. If they're outranging him, its because he's a bad Winston.

What you stated is not in the official rules.

The rules on the over watch website say the following:

Poor teamwork is: Not trying to complete match objectives or constantly communicating in a negative fashion (i.e. "This team is horrible").

Poor teamwork is not: Playing a hero that isn't considered optimal by the community or staying silent in voice chat.
    Picking Torb even though you know he can't do anything is "Not trying to complete match objectives".

The 2nd part is something like picking Sombra even though Tracer would be considered better. Or picking Zenyatta because you're better with him over picking Mercy.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-11-14 at 06:24 PM.

He has a bubble for that. If they're outranging him, its because he's a bad Winston.

Picking Torb even though you know he can't do anything is "Not trying to complete match objectives".

The 2nd part is something like picking Sombra even though Tracer would be considered better. Or picking Zenyatta because you're better with him over picking Mercy.

Re read the words in bold. You can pick torb and be actively shooting the enemy or placing turret on payload or defending a point w/e that [B]is trying to complete map objectives.

NOT completing match objectives is like going afk at base putting turrets at own spawn and emoting or jumping off cliff, basically not engaging the enemy. The fact that u think torb "cant do anything" is irrelevant. If a torb player is being active even if he is not doing it very well or "considered optimal" that is well within the rules of the game you just dont like it and hence cant be banned.

Deleted
    I don't really care what people do in competitive, but I can easily win a losing battle by picking Torbjörn in quick play. If you know how to use him, how to place your turrets strategically, and be accurate with his slag gun, he's an insanely good attack character. High health+armor, high damage, "heal" for your team in the form of armor, and a turret you can use to do all sorts of things. Second most played character for me with something like a 70% win:lose, whereas my Pharah is at 50-55% despite me pulling medals with it. Go figure. But, I mean, I guess if you play competitive, you better stick to the meta and not deviate lest someone gets angry.

10+ Year Old Account

Re read the words in bold. You can pick torb and be actively shooting the enemy or placing turret on payload or defending a point w/e that [B]is trying to complete map objectives.

NOT completing match objectives is like going afk at base putting turrets at own spawn and emoting or jumping off cliff, basically not engaging the enemy. The fact that u think torb "cant do anything" is irrelevant. If a torb player is being active even if he is not doing it very well or "considered optimal" that is well within the rules of the game you just dont like it and hence cant be banned.
    Well with the whole 'disruptive gameplay' thing re: Fuey500, it's now clear that you can. They have clarified an aspect of the 'poor teamwork' category. It seems to be their position that at the start of a match, you can choose whatever you like, even if the team is asking you to play a different hero before the match has begun. This is done in the sense of fairness, essentially forcing the rest of the team to give you a shot at playing your hero. If, however, conditions are inclement for your hero and you still won't change, they will uphold the ban.

And also bear in mind that what we're talking about here isn't Blizzard going around manually banning people - the only widespread incidence of that seems to be targeted at cheaters - we're talking about Blizzard staff deciding whether or not to uphold automatically-issued bans, which require something like 100 reports to trigger the initial 24-hour ban. If you are receiving that many reports, maybe you actually should consider either practicing more in Quick Play or learning to play other heroes, because you don't just accidentally get 100 people to report you for no reason. 100 reports is still at least 10 competitive matches where all 11 other players, allied and enemy, report you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

I'll take the word of the player himself admitting he couldn't do anything and should switch to Reaper, but he won't just just because he likes Torb.

You can't even argue against this, the player himself admitted it was a horrible choice, and wasn't helping the team. Shooting at barriers as Torb is a complete waste of time, he's not going to break through it as fast as someone like Reaper or Junkrat would. And his turret isn't able to do anything if yet again, there's shields blocking it.f

It very much is "not trying to complete match objectives", since he was intentionally gimping his team by playing a character that the other team was hard countering.

I mean, hell, if he's a top 500, then a good amount of the top 500 probably knows he only picks Torb, and will continue to just counter him, making the game unfun and a 5v6 to anyone who happens to get him on their team.

I'll take the word of the player himself admitting he couldn't do anything and should switch to Reaper, but he won't just just because he likes Torb.

You can't even argue against this, the player himself admitted it was a horrible choice, and wasn't helping the team. Shooting at barriers as Torb is a complete waste of time, he's not going to break through it as fast as someone like Reaper or Junkrat would. And his turret isn't able to do anything if yet again, there's shields blocking it.f

It very much is "not trying to complete match objectives", since he was intentionally gimping his team by playing a character that the other team was hard countering.

I mean, hell, if he's a top 500, then a good amount of the top 500 probably knows he only picks Torb, and will continue to just counter him, making the game unfun and a 5v6 to anyone who happens to get him on their team.
    You really dont get it do you.

The fact that he admits he thinks its a bad choice and doesn't switch is irrelevant if he is actually trying to win and engaging the enemy

You can still be TRYING to complete map objectives if torb is shooting reins shield with his gun that counts as trying whether or not it is effective or not is totally irrelevant. If torb is nowhere near the objective and just shooting in to the sky yes that is reportable.

Its a complete myth to suggest that just cos i pick torb i need all 5 other characters to be built around me lol what? like explain please how is picking torb any different from building all 5 other members around a soldier or a mercy explain the difference.