Poll: Is the snowball effect preventing any changes for you?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The snowball effect

It seems as though some of the more conservative QoL changes that could be implemented are being shot-down due to the fear of this "snowball effect" rather than the merit of that individual change.

It could be constructive to find out the number of you who are not accepting of any change due to a fear of this.
    Last edited by mmocd2ad2cb4e7; 2017-11-13 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duannyboy View Post
    not accepting of any change due to a fear of this.
    I am not accepting any change due to fear of change to Vanilla WoW. The snowball effect may be another consequence of said change. But it itself is not the reason.

I think it's just kinda the principle, you wanted Vanilla WoW, you get Vanilla WoW.

It's basically like replaying 1st Gen Pokemon games, sure they didn't have the Improvements of the later generations, but they were still fun in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I think it's just kinda the principle, you wanted Vanilla WoW, you get Vanilla WoW.
    This is basically the answer though I'll substitute "we" for "you."

10+ Year Old Account

It's basically like replaying 1st Gen Pokemon games, sure they didn't have the Improvements of the later generations, but they were still fun in their own way.
    Basically what he said but seriously leave Vanilla as Vanilla as possible.
    The people asking for legacy servers or classic never asked for Vanilla/*insert favorite expansion here* but with retail features/changes, There is no feature from later expansions that I want in Classic.

If you want things like guild banks, flying mounts, LFD, Heirlooms and balanced specs ask for a later expansion that included it or play retail which has 100% of those things.

Deleted

Good example. The 1st Gen Pokemon games were re-released as Fire red & Leaf green successfully and were something that those who played the 1st Gen games and those who did not both enjoyed.
    Last edited by mmocd2ad2cb4e7; 2017-11-13 at 10:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Sure but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have liked a better backlight @ your gameboy pocket to play in the dark better.

Most people wanting QoL changes aren't asking for fundemental changes, if your groupbuff is 2000 mana instead of 3200, it would simply mean you can buff 3 groups before you have to drink instead of 1.9, making it way less annoying while still being too much mana to rebuff players in-fight and it's still costing a candle, so nothing really changes except for buffing all 8 groups before you start to raid or @ wipe recovery.
    Also, wouldn't you say a 40yard rangecheck which vanilla doesn't have, instead of a 30/60y one for healers would work wonders for healers UI wise?

Things like shamans on alliance, paladins getting groupheals, dungeon queue and diremaul farm nerfs are obviously on the other end of the spectrum and DO fundamentally change the game, which obviously then should never be implemented.

But now we also get to argue about what exactly "Vanilla WoW" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It is a slippery slope, I hope we get a baseline, unmodified version of vanilla and then get access to official polls to vote things in.

Deleted
    The snowball effect is what got us here, to this state of the Live game. Denying that it exists seems naive.

Its a astounding transformation, we went from a MMORPG that took place in a large world to a action game that takes place in instances.

It would be a great dishonor for this classic game to resurrect it, and then only to begin making the same mistakes again. You are now fragmenting the community, and people are already looking for other private servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yea but that argument should be completely contained within the patches in which vanilla wow existed. Features added outside of those patches aren't fair game.

the closer to retail the better imo. Having x-servers(yesyes, i know it came in late vanilla, still dislike it thou) and grp finders whould definetly lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Technically, yes it's mainly the slippery slope that prevents me from accepting any noticeable changes.
    That being said, even if I could decide what change and what not (so if I had complete control and would change only what I want), I would still not change a lot, in order to keep the experience as close as possible. So it's still pretty close to "let's get Vanilla".

Oh, and your poll should have the option for people who don't feel concerned one way or another (either they don't care about the slippery slope, or they don't care about Classic servers to begin with, and so on).

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    As far as this debate is concerned, is not really.

Any QoL change done during Vanilla is fair game, anything that wasn't part of it, isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    Sure but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have liked a better backlight @ your gameboy pocket to play in the dark better.
    That would like arguing that Lags and Dc's were a part of the Vanilla experience, really no one wants those back, even those really want Vanilla Servers.

Most people wanting QoL changes aren't asking for fundemental changes, if your groupbuff is 2000 mana instead of 3200, it would simply mean you can buff 3 groups before you have to drink instead of 1.9, making it way less annoying while still being too much mana to rebuff players in-fight and it's still costing a candle, so nothing really changes except for buffing all 8 groups before you start to raid or @ wipe recovery.
    The point is that you can rarely find a common ground there, person A thinks change X wouldn't impact the Vanilla experience, Person B thinks it's change Y, and so forth.

Deleted

Also, wouldn't you say a 40yard rangecheck which vanilla doesn't have, instead of a 30/60y one for healers would work wonders for healers UI wise?

Things like shamans on alliance, paladins getting groupheals, dungeon queue and diremaul farm nerfs are obviously on the other end of the spectrum and DO fundamentally change the game, which obviously then should never be implemented.
    A rare (on this forum) and balanced view.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Technically, yes it's mainly the slippery slope that prevents me from accepting any noticeable changes.
    That being said, even if I could decide what change and what not (so if I had complete control and would change only what I want), I would still not change a lot, in order to keep the experience as close as possible. So it's still pretty close to "let's get Vanilla".

Oh, and your poll should have the option for people who don't feel concerned one way or another (either they don't care about the slippery slope, or they don't care about Classic servers to begin with, and so on).
    If they don't care either way they have no need to be reading the thread or indeed voting in it.

People act like Blizzard is some fat kid in a candy store who won't be able to control themselves. I think this is unnecessarily cynical. If a change makes sense and doesn't interfere with the gameplay experience of vanilla they should implement it in classic.

No, not at all.

This whole "let's change it cause we're entitled" crowd needs to get the fuck up on outta here.

Go make your own private servers if you want some reworked non-Vanilla crap.

I simply want to play Classic. As it was. No "qol's" what-so-ever. I'm not sure I would call "qol's" quality changes either. All I would recommend is "tweak changes" to talents or abilities that are over/under performing as intended. As intended.

More like the "everyone will never agree" effect, or "people who've no intention to play Classic" effect.

I hope if changes are being considered, they do some careful polling -- preferably amongst people who've pre-ordered Classic, or something.
    F2P: If you don't think it's worth my money, I don't think it's worth my time.