Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    Unsafe opcodes, like for example gold sellers could literally spam create new characters, spawn them and start spamming. And fixing this on the server side is kinda impossible, as the client could end up crashing for normal players as the client-server communication is then not ideal.

Oh and tons of dupes (via portals, AH, bank, mail etc) due to the client's implementation.

... so yeah, there will be definetly some changes. There's no way that Blizzard will actually release the original 1.12.1 client. But really, almost no one expects this. When most people are talking about "pure" vanilla they mean, pure gameplay, graphics, UI etc. (and some would even keep the bugs... but here we're talking about all the rather silly bugs and not something completely gamebreaking and a potential threat)

And yeah, who knows what potential security risks are hidden in the original client.
    How exactly would rejecting a request from one specific client, alter the data the server sends to other clients? unless we're talking about effectively crashing the server through DDOS?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Joke's on you, I was born in the 70s :P
    I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me
    Sorry, I just see so many millennials who hate the label and all claim to be their own person and for some this is true but we are the product of our environments.

I agree with the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials timeline for the most part.
    From my experience training MANY millennials in my old trade, those born mid 1990 and on were flat out dismissive of tried and true techniques, disrespectful of management, expecting raises after 6 months that would put them at pay grades of individuals with 5+ years invested and entitled to any privilege they wanted, call in sick all the time...etc.
    There are exceptions of course but this was the general rule of thumb. The most common was flat out rejecting any and all advice. In person I am fairly quiet, laid back and joke around alot, I create an atmosphere of freedom. When I gave an inch they frequently took advantage of it. My good friend (a millennial) is still a graphic artist in the trade and he sends me pics of projects all the time. Even though he NEVER listens, he still asks for my advice and approval lol.

I do hate to offend on this issue but generations are a thing and learning to deal with people from different periods is key to diversity. We had extensive training at Anheuser-Busch and here for the state. Most big companies and governments educate staff on common issues and how to manage them regarding generational differences.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

People are saying no Battle.net, keep the bugs in and whatnot. These are the folks that Blizzard shouldn't listen. Deliberately keeping bugs in to create "authentic Vanilla experience" is the dumbest idea you can come up with.

Bugs will be fixed, Battle.net will be in. I can bet on these two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    People are saying no Battle.net, keep the bugs in and whatnot. These are the folks that Blizzard shouldn't listen. Deliberately keeping bugs in to create "authentic Vanilla experience" is the dumbest idea you can come up with.

Bugs will be fixed, Battle.net will be in. I can bet on these two.
    They're recreating the gameplay experience, not cloning the client, so yeah you're most likely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It will be interesting to see their solution for that. I think it could go one of three ways:

1. A bunch of smaller realms.

2. A mega-realm by region with shards.

3. A bunch of smaller realms but all connected from the get-go which is much more like 2 than 1.

I would personally prefer smaller realms (analogy to small towns) but foresee that the optimists here who believe a 12-year old iteration of the game will keep growing are going to be wrong. Which will be a problem for smaller realms.

Mega-realms (big cities), even without sharding, aren't very personal though. So interesting to see how that goes.
    One solution could be to make "server batches" that have a shared name lockout. The main concern with merging servers are what to do with people that have the same name. So if you pre-emptively connect the name lockout between a group of servers, the data migration could be done at a later date to merge some or all in the batch in to one realm, once the initial hype is over.

If the server pop on one or more of them never dies down, well then it could still just remain on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Blizzard will most certainly limit what you can do with addons. They will "ban" or restrict a lot of new ones that totally trivialize the game.
    Nothing new in that. Generally though, they have allowed whatever works within their API with a few notable exceptions... in which they changed their API to restrict.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Class balance in Vanilla was deliberate. It was not a mistake, or they would have been attempting to fix it throughout the entirety of Vanilla.
    Umm they did attempt to fix it throughout the entirety of vanilla. Its never deliberate to release your game where over half your classes/specs was useless 95% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    A few did... but WoW was played by more adults than kids. Still is.
    Got some stats to prove that? I make you keep making claims but nothing to back them up.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It will be interesting to see their solution for that. I think it could go one of three ways:

1. A bunch of smaller realms.

2. A mega-realm by region with shards.

3. A bunch of smaller realms but all connected from the get-go which is much more like 2 than 1.

I would personally prefer smaller realms (analogy to small towns) but foresee that the optimists here who believe a 12-year old iteration of the game will keep growing are going to be wrong. Which will be a problem for smaller realms.

Mega-realms (big cities), even without sharding, aren't very personal though. So interesting to see how that goes.
    I think the best implementation would be a bunch of smaller realms and if one grows too big or too small open up free transfers to a medium populated one.

so what about towellie saying we would be in for a rude awakening if we expect it to be 100% like 2005. is he full of shit or does he know something that requires an nda?

Quote Originally Posted by dewd View Post
    so what about towellie saying we would be in for a rude awakening if we expect it to be 100% like 2005. is he full of shit or does he know something that requires an nda?
    He doesn't know anything we don't know, But he also isn't full of shit.

Anyone who sits down for more then one minute and thinks about it knows this will not be 100% like 2005.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Guys,

If anyone thinks Blizzard is going to change ANYTHING about vanilla for this "Classic" offering, they are completely delusional. They will have a small dedicated team that will do nothing but facilitate the rollout of already existing archived patches. Adding ANYTHING to vanilla would require a tremendous amount of work that they simply are not willing to invest.

While there are plenty of people asking for this and that... it isn't going to happen. They will follow the original patching timeline... the only thing that MAY be slightly different are hotpatches that fixed exploits... and perhaps not even those.

Vanilla is coming... and no amount of whining by the current millenial base is going to have Blizzard add sprinkles to an already perfect flavor of WoW.
    Damn I hope your made up bullshit is actually true and if so I love you

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeith View Post
    Yeah I've never contradicted it's going to be a game listed on the battle.net client, and launched from there. But I sincerely hope they do not implement any battle.net functionality in to the actual client launched. You can have your opinion that it doesn't alter your play experience, but it would for me, and as I am after an authentic Classic experience, I hope they don't do it.
    They will most likely add battle.net chat and they don't even need to integrate the battle.net friends list as you can just ask bob "/w bob what's your btag" and he'll whisper you it and you can just chat through the client running in the background. So no, it really doesn't change anything but making it harder for the people that do want to use it and connect outside of the game. You know, form that community that people loved so much about Classic. Are you saying you don't like that community?

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    They will most likely add battle.net chat and they don't even need to integrate the battle.net friends list as you can just ask bob "/w bob what's your btag" and he'll whisper you it and you can just chat through the client running in the background. So no, it really doesn't change anything but making it harder for the people that do want to use it and connect outside of the game. You know, form that community that people loved so much about Classic. Are you saying you don't like that community?
    Implying I want to hinder vanilla community building, by restricting the use of a tool inside the client that didn't exist back in vanilla. Hmm, doesn't seem like logic is your strongest quality.

They will have a small dedicated team that will do nothing but facilitate the rollout of already existing archived patches.
    Their team will cut out the content from the WoD client and recreate mob spawn points, nodes, hitpoints, damages, loot tables, etc. Vanilla client code and its patches do not exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeith View Post
    Implying I want to hinder vanilla community building, by restricting the use of a tool inside the client that didn't exist back in vanilla. Hmm, doesn't seem like logic is your strongest quality.
    I'm a pretty logical person. The chat will exist for the community whether it is integrated or not. The integration makes it easier for those that want to use it. And it doesn't affect those that don't want to use it in any way whatsoever. Integrating it or not doesn't change that the feature will exist even if they go as far as not putting the classic realms on an entirely new client (Not the battle.net client) which they won't do.

If they only release a pure version I will drink the tears of the people asking for updates

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys,

If anyone thinks Blizzard is going to change ANYTHING about vanilla for this "Classic" offering, they are completely delusional. They will have a small dedicated team that will do nothing but facilitate the rollout of already existing archived patches. Adding ANYTHING to vanilla would require a tremendous amount of work that they simply are not willing to invest.

While there are plenty of people asking for this and that... it isn't going to happen. They will follow the original patching timeline... the only thing that MAY be slightly different are hotpatches that fixed exploits... and perhaps not even those.

Vanilla is coming... and no amount of whining by the current millenial base is going to have Blizzard add sprinkles to an already perfect flavor of WoW.
    Ironic...anyone with that sig calling other people delusional!

Kinda the pot calling the kettle black...

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Point to a single patch with sweeping changes from Vanilla that tried to make even just one of the underused specs viable.

I'll wait.
    Erm, pretty much most of them?

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/1.x

1.6 onwards all had talent tree/spell change overhauls for classes.

We don't think flying makes questing quicker. We think it makes it trivial. There is a difference. Source
    How does flying trivialise this quest?
    Cherry picking data, have a read.

Nothing new in that. Generally though, they have allowed whatever works within their API with a few notable exceptions... in which they changed their API to restrict.
    Yeah but I think it's a lot harder than it appears. Because a lot of modern addons would probably run okay on the old API with some modifications. And the old API was actually a lot more tolerant so you could make some new addons that really exploit that.

By the same token they can't simply use the current API or you could use all your modern addons.

I actually don't know how they're going to solve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

You know what this won't come with:

1. Server instability
    2. BLACKROCKDOWNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZ screaming gnomes coming from overpopulated pvp realms crying that their realm is down, which then, inadvertently, brings your realm down