Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

PUGs in Classic - Is there a place for me?

By and large, I'm fairly excited to give Classic ago when it's released. I remember playing it back in the day (although I'll admit my memory is fuzzy, I was very young, and I can't really remember exactly at what point I started playing).

HOWEVER, I have some reservations given my current situation.

I love WoW, I love playing it and I'm excited to play Classic again, but the truth of the matter is, I can't play it much. I'm simply too busy with real life. That's not to say I won't sink time into the game though. I understand the time it will take to get to to get to max level, and I'm not saying that that's an issue. I accept it will take me a pretty long time (and the truth is, I love leveling so that's one thing I'm most looking forward to!).

What I'm not so looking forward to though, is what happens at level 60. I know once I get there, I'll naturally want to start gearing up. But I suppose my question really is: will I really be able to?

How 'puggable' are vanilla raids? Do you think pugging (raids) will be a fairly popular thing on classic? What will I really get to see as a competent player but with no ability to commit to a raiding schedule?

I only mention this because A. I wonder what you all think, and B. I think I'm going to be one of MANY people in this situation.

Thoughts?

TL;DR I want to play Classic but I have virtually no time, will pugging be a thing, and to what extent?

Note: I don't expect to be dropping in and killing KT when I only play for 3-5 hours a week, and I'm not asking for LFR.
    Last edited by mmocd12d3b42be; 2017-11-14 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Dont worry you wont get to sixty anyway

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rampage2roflmao View Post
    Dont worry you wont get to sixty anyway
    I think I would eventually, but thanks for the response anyway!

Raids are puggable in the sense of you dont really need the max amount of players to clear them.

And thats for MC and ZG, the others not so puggable.

So, unless you get lucky and get carried, you wont do much at the first few months.

Now how the game will evolve after awhile, no one knows, like, its expected for the more dedicated people to remain so things might be different compaerd to actual Vanilla.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-11-14 at 09:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    I think I would eventually, but thanks for the response anyway!
    You'll be pugging MC and ZG/AQ20, and eventually BWL. It's unlikely you'll see AQ40 or Naxx in pugs though.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    With 3 hours a week you might get 10 or 15 quests done. Just enjoy the leveling.

I don't think you'll need to worry about pugging, honestly. If your play time is limited to 3 hours per week, by the time you hit level 60 you'll still need to do a lot of dungeons to gear up for raids. A dungeon in vanilla took anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour and a half. Meaning you might get two to three dungeon runs per week. You'll essentially never be geared enough for any raid content.

By and large, I'm fairly excited to give Classic ago when it's released. I remember playing it back in the day (although I'll admit my memory is fuzzy, I was very young, and I can't really remember exactly at what point I started playing).

HOWEVER, I have some reservations given my current situation.

I love WoW, I love playing it and I'm excited to play Classic again, but the truth of the matter is, I can't play it much. I'm simply too busy with real life. That's not to say I won't sink time into the game though. I understand the time it will take to get to to get to max level, and I'm not saying that that's an issue. I accept it will take me a pretty long time (and the truth is, I love leveling so that's one thing I'm most looking forward to!).

What I'm not so looking forward to though, is what happens at level 60. I know once I get there, I'll naturally want to start gearing up. But I suppose my question really is: will I really be able to?

How 'puggable' are vanilla raids? Do you think pugging (raids) will be a fairly popular thing on classic? What will I really get to see as a competent player but with no ability to commit to a raiding schedule?

I only mention this because A. I wonder what you all think, and B. I think I'm going to be one of MANY people in this situation.

Thoughts?

TL;DR I want to play Classic but I have virtually no time, will pugging be a thing, and to what extent?

Note: I don't expect to be dropping in and killing KT when I only play for 3 hours a week, and I'm not asking for LFR.
    Well here's the thing. You'll hit 60 when everybody who matter in the raiding community is way further ahead unless blizz puts a giant delay on raid releases. But in Vanilla people don't really pug that much because you can't be in the dungeon and look for people. The leader is pretty much FORCED to waste his time in the capital, spamming chat to find people, so obviously it requires a warlock. And walorck were trash dps they were only there for stones and summons so there won't be that many around. In my guild we used to just go with whatever we had instead of pugging, specially for lower content that you will be doing while people are further ahead.

So no I don't think hoping for PUGs is a good idea. What you can do tho, is join a guild as a social member or something like that. Guilds in vanilla always had way more people than the raiding team because needing 40 people often meant some could not make it, so they pick people who are online in the guild long before thinking about pugging. So being a social member in a guild will most certainly help you a lot in getting into some raids eventually.

Getting to 60 takes roughly 200 hours. This would mean it would take you over a year to reach 60, maybe another 6 months to get raid ready. By that time I'm sure you could get into MC pugs without a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bear in mind that levelling to 60 in Vanilla takes about 7 days played on average for players who are focusing on levelling and nothing else (exploring, pvp, professions, dungeons). That's over a year of you playing 3 hours a week to just get to 60, and from then on you've got a long way to put together your set of BiS pre-raid dungeon gear to get invited to a PUG.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    So no I don't think hoping for PUGs is a good idea. What you can do tho, is join a guild as a social member or something like that. Guilds in vanilla always had way more people than the raiding team because needing 40 people often meant some could not make it, so they pick people who are online in the guild long before thinking about pugging. So being a social member in a guild will most certainly help you a lot in getting into some raids eventually.
    Yeh, I guess I'm kinda hoping someone makes a "Classic Casuals" guild which is just filled with hundreds of people like me. That way when we want to botch together a raid, we sort of can. I guess it wouldn't be pugging then but in a sense it would be, because it probably wouldn't follow a schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by shaidyn View Post
    I don't think you'll need to worry about pugging, honestly. If your play time is limited to 3 hours per week, by the time you hit level 60 you'll still need to do a lot of dungeons to gear up for raids. A dungeon in vanilla took anywhere between 45 minutes and an hour and a half. Meaning you might get two to three dungeon runs per week. You'll essentially never be geared enough for any raid content.
    But if he's in a guild who mostly raid BWL for exemple, they will still do MC for missing pieces and for fun, so he could literally join that as a fresh 60 so long as he is attuned, regardless of his gear. He won't be in the progression group or anything but that's still far better than hoping for successful pugs in vanilla IMO.

Deleted
    Now when most people know the tacts and abilities of the bosses it should not be hard

even way back then dps were a dime a dozen and there was always a shortage of tanks and healers because they were harder to lvl, if you really want to be needed in any group then roll one of those two classes. become someones pocket healer and you'll be set. My hubby played undead warrior tank and I played resto druid and we lvld together like that.

back then it wasn't about rushing to end game to raid but about the journey getting to 60, if you rush yourself like people do nowadays you're probably gonna have a bad time
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    By the time you hit 60 the more hardcore people (people playing 3-5 hours a day) will be running alts through various raids. You probably won't have a problem finding a slot in a pick up raid. If you're social, making friends will make doing so exponentially easier.

Yeh, I guess I'm kinda hoping someone makes a "Classic Casuals" guild which is just filled with hundreds of people like me. That way when we want to botch together a raid, we sort of can. I guess it wouldn't be pugging then but in a sense it would be, because it probably wouldn't follow a schedule.
    That's pretty much it yeah.
    One of the first guild I joined had a raiding team but they were still inviting a bunch of random people for whatever reason. I was one of the random people and at some point there was some people missing so I joined to try raiding. I got hooked and became part of the team, but there was still a bunch of times where a few people were missing and we invited guildies who didn't raid often, I'm expecting things to be quite similar in Classic.

I think that I am in agreeance with most of the people here in thinking that it will take you a year or longer to even reach 60. By this time, there will be a lot of very geared guilds, and you may be able to find one who is willing to take "warm bodies" with them into the lower end content. A lot of the earlier raids back then were just about finding people who could stand in a certain spot and push a few buttons. As you got deeper into the game content, this became less and less acceptable, but I recall our guild eventually getting to a point where we could carry 5-6 people on our raid runs, eventually. I think the biggest problem was that if you carried too many people, at some point it felt like you were chewing glass again, and that wasn't fun for anybody, even the person pugging.
    "Falling from heaven is not as painful as surviving the impact."

DPS Loss - my guild on Proudmoore
    The Old Guard - my guild on Earthen Ring
    Revenant - my guild on Echo Isles

10+ Year Old Account
    I was 27 when WoW came out.
    I had two kids and a full time job.
    I wasn't a hardcore raider.
    I leveled slowly.
    I leveled multiple characters.
    I got up to BWL before BC was released.

You will be fine and it doesn't have to take over your life.

The doom and gloomers on this forum will tell you it can't be done.
    These are the same guys who want you to out gear a dungeon before joining their group and measure success by e-peen size.
    They only see the path of least resistance as an option, and can't comprehend someone with a different experience or viewpoint.

All the fights are know at this point.
    It is just going to take you a while time to get geared if you play a DPS class.
    I would recommend a class that can main heal.
    Will be much easier to get invites to pugs.
    Push it to the limit

#NoCollusion
    "The Special Counsel did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple. offers from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

TBH I don't think you have much to worry about. Whilst there are a load of people with the good intentions of going back to classic and kicking ass and taking names, let's face it, the actual % of people who make it to 60 will be a fraction of that and even less will make it to raid.

Remember it's not really even about gear requirements, yes a certain level is/was expected but raid gear was scarce. You will spend most of your time farming mats, remember that you'll need flasks, elixirs (yep plural, they all stack), potions, food, scrolls, wep enhancements (e.g. oils) and all the other misc stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Now when most people know the tacts and abilities of the bosses it should not be hard
    Especially when the bosses in MC are very simple.