Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The problem with all those MMOs is that they tried too hard to copy WoW, and thus they failed. The ones doing well are those who introduced twists of their own, e.g. FF14 or GW2. It has nothing to do with raids.
    The only thing different in FFXIV is the crafting system which is just a filler for some bad raid items, in terms of itemization. Crafting, however, is still popular for some glamour and housing items.
    Story quests there are nice but you blow through them in a couple of hours. So other than that you either play to level up alt specs, dailies, or you do dungeons and raids.

World of Warcraft became big because of its raiding scene. Doesn't matter if the vast mayority did it or not, but having a high cieling to look at keeps many people interested, even if they never reach it. Everything you did in vanilla was to prepare you to raid. The game was focused then and continued to be through the years, with some other less important activities. Just because the average player took a very long time in grinding each step of the progression system, didn't mean the progression system wasn't designed with the ultimate goal of raiding.

Blizzard will introduce something unique to raiding, in both power and transmog options. They wont throw it away because they also know that it's the only thing they have above their competition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I like tier bonusses but theres one BIG problem with them in current form, its hard to upgrade gear due locked slots. I have so many nontier pieces in my bag that dispaly 15-30% upgrade after simming and yet I cant use them because they would break my set and lower my dps. And I cant really use another slot for tier because other slot is occupied by BiS legendary (shoulders).

So maybe decision to move "set bonusses" to the new azerite system is not that bad idea?
    The problem with that appeared because of the titanforge system, not because of the tier pieces themselves. I think what they will do is that the highest ilvl azerite pieces will drop from mythic raiding.
    Last edited by Allenseiei; 2017-11-15 at 05:27 PM.

It's not a bad change at all.

Tier bonuses for a long time have been a nightmare to design and balance, as they're either completely automatic and boring, or so OP they are kept across tiers unless artificially curbed.

Plus, they severely restrict gearing choices and make many loot pieces a joke because nobody ever wants them. Overall loot and gearing is made WORSE by the existence of tier sets.

Without tier sets, not only is gearing more interesting and balancing is easier, but you also open avenues like M+ to be seriously competitive sources of gear. The lack of tier pieces and the often (but not always) glaring power gap for trinkets make M+ gear a bit of a joke these days. Relics and jewelry are often the only pieces worth a damn, and tier pieces are a large part of it (though not the only part).

Quote Originally Posted by Veldoranz View Post
    Pretty sure Blizzard came out and said that wasn't true. Also pretty sure this was from like a year ago.
    October was a month ago, but yeah ok.

I'm sure you have a source to confirm blizzard saying this wasn't true, right?

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Yeah, sure, they're actively trying to kill raiding. For fuck's sake.

But anyways, raiding sucks and is the least interesting part of the game. It's only right that other areas are getting the attention they deserve.
    It's your opinion. I play wow for the challenge of defeating raiding encounters with a large, stable group, so for us it's the most interesting part of the game. I also like many other activities and even the lore.

And they are not killing raiding. It has always been less popular than some other activities in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    The problem with that appeared because of the titanforge system tbh.
    I don't think so, even if they removed TF it wouldn't change much because when it comes to 4+2 combos, people eagerly wear older set pieces that are 40ish ilvls lower than the rest of their gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    I think what they will do is that the highest ilvl azerite pieces will drop from mythic raiding.
    Well, ofc, because Azerite attuned armour can't TF

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    Honestly so long as they keep on making lots of armor sets/unique armor sets for classes, then i could care less if they get rid of tier sets. If the traits for Azerite armor are as interesting then it is better than having tier, since there is more to choose from so you don't get stuck with a lackluster bonus.
    The interview said the armor was going to be "themed for the instance", said nothing about class sets. My worst fear is that we are now looking at perma-Tier 9, where there were only 4 armor sets, one for each armor type.

If the best Azerite bonuses come on raid gear then I doubt this will kill raiding. If, however, you can get comparable bonuses from M+ then I think we're looking at another raiding population decline, probably worse than the 10/25 heroic split.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    just a different way of enjoying the game.

why does raiding have to be the only way to progress ur char?
    It does not have to be the only way of progress, but it is currently the hardest content not only to do, but also to organize. If the reward does not equalize up to the work it requires, people will just stop doing it.

Its like with the old mythic+. If you can get good enough gear by running mythic+2, then why would you ever do mythic+12 other then just to show you can?
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by krl View Post
    It's your opinion.
    Of course it's my opinion. Why would I be stating someone else's opinion?

If you're not raiding because raiding itself is rewarding to you, you probably shouldn't raid in the first place.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there is anything wrong in removing their sets. I really get their argument, that in the last couple of expansions, it has gotten harder and harder to make your character work either with or without the tier sets and getting a good gear combo has gotten complex when you have to make even potential set gear match up.

But this is still removing one of the big incentives for going into raiding content, so raiding is now less rewarding overall. I really hope, that Blizzard start putting more energy into making the rewards from raiding make more sense in comparison to the work it takes to get 10-30 players together every now and then, especially when it comes to make it an organized event either through social groups or guilds.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Blizzard is going to control what bonuses are on the Azerite gear (helm, shoulder, chest). Who is to say the best bonuses won't come from raid gear? These bonuses are not random, they are pre-assigned to the drop. That will keep the raid > mythic+ incentive alive.

I disgree with the OP. My guild has been around since Wrath but Legion is the first expansion that we have actually gotten serious about raiding in and honestly, none of our raid team really cares about the tier/class sets that have been in the raids in Legion. And if you think about the way it was back in the old days of WoW, you'd get 40 people into a raid and very, very few of those people would get gear from each run. That's not really any different from now. Yes, more gear is dropping, but if a lot of it isn't useful to you because you already have something better, that's the same as getting no gear at all. We've been raiding to challenge ourselves as players and spent time together as a guild, and we will absolutely continue to raid in BFA. The tier or lack of tier has nothing to do with it.

I also disgree with the "loot is everywhere" perspective. Yes, there are a lot of sources for gear, but if you want to get really good gear/higher itemization, you still need to do the "harder" content (high level Mythic plus runs and raids). Even the OP said they get gear from the weekly chest, which requires Mythic plus to get access to. The Greater Invasion bosses have a really low drop chance on gear and are considered World Bosses, which requires a raid group to defeat.

I guess OP just lack comprehension skills.

Tier bonuses will not be tied to gear, but to Heart of Azeroth, so you can upgrade without fear of losing a bonus set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I like tier bonusses but theres one BIG problem with them in current form, its hard to upgrade gear due locked slots. I have so many nontier pieces in my bag that dispaly 15-30% upgrade after simming and yet I cant use them because they would break my set and lower my dps. And I cant really use another slot for tier because other slot is occupied by BiS legendary (shoulders).

So maybe decision to move "set bonusses" to the new azerite system is not that bad idea?
    Feral T20 lost out in sims to T19 of the same ilevel because of the set bonuses.

It's not possible quite yet to see how T21 shakes out because there aren't a lot of people doing the theorycrafting (and the gloves were/are bugged?), but I'm of the mind that I shouldn't be praying for titanforging to replace FOUR SLOTS of gear. One of the points of raiding is making your character stronger, and you don't feel stronger if you're wearing the same shit for 6 months while everyone else gets new things. I'm okay with like, a strong trinket, or a really nicely itemized cape standing out, sure, but 4 pieces in my set just stuck because I can't break the bonus, what the hell.

Do it competently or don't do it.

Deleted
    I believe that's an alternate way of thinking things...
    They don't "kill" anything with that. Best players will still be best and if raids are good and interesting...you'll play them..
    They just add up in character customization...Again you'll have to pick the best fit for your character... BUT you won't get shafted with the "i have to use the tier for the bonuses" arguement... Your mind set picking stats would be the same.
    The only thing changing is you won't get the headache a bad stats piece of tier gear can give you...

However, they could use other methods... but that's the cleanest of them all...

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    From October 4th 2017.

"Currently, [our subscriber number] is around 10.1 million. You know, it’s difficult to say what the future will bring. We have an internal competitor, Overwatch, but it’s possible it’ll get even higher than 12 million. There are plenty of potential takers and there are over 100 million World of Warcraft accounts." -Tom Chilton

Yep, sure is dead. Glad you let us know otherwise I and 10million other ppl would waste our time playing this dead game.
    Now post a link as well.
    /spit@Blizzard

Doesn't matter what change happens. this forum will white-knight anything that doesn't involve flying. Blizzard could release an expansion with half the content of BfA and take raids out of the game and someone the people here will justify it.

Na, they are trying something new, to keep the raiding scene alive. God forbid something new happens and we actually like it!!!

I like tier sets, they've been great. But we've had them for 21? 22 tiers spanned over 13 fucking years. I'm ready to try something new.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Holy shit why do people over react so much in this community? Do you have that little going on in life?

You know nothing about how its going to work yet so stop worrying.
    The last raid tier isn't even out in Legion and there is absolutely gonna be tier in there.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV