Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guys I have some questions. I've been wondering if I should get a Switch for Christmas and I hope you can help me decide. I have some background information first.

1. I have only ever owned 4 Nintendo consoles: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and the Wii U.
    2. I have literally never played a Mario game for more than 10 minutes.
    3. I have played (at least in part) Wind Waker HD, Link Between Worlds, and Ocarina of Time.
    4. I was a bit burned by the Wii U.

So my questions are as follows.

1. Is the portability something that actively helps the system or is it more akin to the Wii U's "switch it to tablet mode when going to the bathroom"?
    2. Does Breath of the Wild keep some elements that made the past Zeldas good (in my opinion) like the exploration, the light puzzles and stuff like that or is it all scrapped?
    3. Does it feel like support is going to keep coming? The Wii U feels like it lost practically all support not long after release, so that's why I'm asking.
    4. Is Xenoblade a JRPG in the fullest sense of the word? What is up the swordfus?
    5. Can you, the Nintendo Switch owners, think of anything that would discourage any potential future owners? Something critical that you think Nintendo has messed up in their product development?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by OnlineSamantha; 2017-11-15 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    1. Is the portability something that actively helps the system or is it more akin to the Wii U's "switch it to tablet mode when going to the bathroom"?
    2. Does Breath of the Wild keep some elements that made the past Zeldas good (in my opinion) like the exploration, the light puzzles and stuff like that or is it all scrapped?
    3. Does it feel like support is going to keep coming? The Wii U feels like it lost practically all support not long after release, so that's why I'm asking.
    4. Is Xenoblade a JRPG in the fullest sense of the word? What is up the swordfus?
    5. Can you, the Nintendo Switch owners, think of anything that would discourage any potential future owners? Something critical that you think Nintendo has messed up in their product development?

Thanks in advance.
    1. You pick it up, go anywhere, play as you'd play a DS, or you can prop it up on a table/whatever and use detached controllers also if you don't want/need to keep it in your hands when not able to use the dock and a TV.
    2. 120shrines(found via exploration of overworld and quests), some are one robot fights, most are minipuzzles. the main dungeons are bigger puzzles with few mobs a bossfight in the end. You also got your korok buddies(800+) to find out in the world(via archery challenges, puzzles, and other things), so yeah, lots of exploring and light puzzles to play around with. I'm at 110+ hours played and haven't done everything there is to do because I've been running around climbing mountains and stuff.

5. If you're into multiplayer games with voicechat and streaming and stuff like that you'll have a harder time, since the support for that stuff is pretty shit afaik. If you're mostly into singleplayer gaming and give 0 cares about the social(/)media aspects for games, no problems. Oh and if you're a big fan of digital shop for games, you'll need to dish out money for an SD card quickly since the internal storage is smallish and some games won't fit to it even if it's the only game you have installed.
    Last edited by mageling; 2017-11-15 at 04:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mageling View Post
    2. 120shrines(found via exploration of overworld and quests), some are one robot fights, most are minipuzzles. the main dungeons are bigger puzzles with few mobs a bossfight in the end. You also got your korok buddies(800+) to find out in the world(via archery challenges, puzzles, and other things), so yeah, lots of exploring and light puzzles to play around with. I'm at 110+ hours played and haven't done everything there is to do because I've been running around climbing mountains and stuff.
    Is it fun? Is the pursuit of those Korok buddies something that is enjoyable? For example in the Far Cry games the collectibles aren't fun to do because there is no challenge or satisfaction associated with getting them aside from a completionist perspective. The same question applies to Mario I suppose. Though I will admit that small rewards along the way can certainly contribute to making them fun. Stuff like costumes that I think are rewarded for moon-finding in Mario.

5. If you're into multiplayer games with voicechat and streaming and stuff like that you'll have a harder time, since the support for that stuff is pretty shit afaik. If you're mostly into singleplayer gaming and give 0 cares about the social(/)media aspects for games, no problems.
    Good thing that I don't have any intention of doing that.

Thank you for your answers. It has certainly helped clarify some things.
    Last edited by OnlineSamantha; 2017-11-15 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it fun? Is the pursuit of those Korok buddies something that is enjoyable? For example in the Far Cry games the collectibles aren't fun to do because there is no challenge or satisfaction associated with getting them aside from a completionist perspective. The same applies to Mario I suppose. Though I will admit that small rewards along the way can certainly contribute to making them fun. Stuff like costumes that I think are rewarded for moon-finding in Mario.
    You need 441 koroks to max out weapon, shield and bow inventories, after that it's for completionisms sake. If you buy the DLC you have access to a mask that starts making sounds and shaking when you're near one so you don't have to go at it totally blind. Still, they can be crafty lil buggers and be hiding in numerous places. Once I spent 5minutes before giving up trying to look for one who gave me a "ping" with my mask equipped, but that's just me being bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need 441 koroks to max out weapon, shield and bow inventories, after that it's for completionisms sake. If you buy the DLC you have access to a mask that starts making sounds and shaking when you're near one so you don't have to go at it totally blind. Still, they can be crafty lil buggers and be hiding in numerous places. Once I spent 5minutes before giving up trying to look for one who gave me a "ping" with my mask equipped, but that's just me being bad.
    Oh cool so there's a bit of choice in that. Thanks again. Say, are there any must-haves for the Switch besides Mario and Zelda?

Oh cool so there's a bit of choice in that. Thanks again. Say, are there any must-haves for the Switch besides Mario and Zelda?
    Mario+Rabbids is quite good, though personally I haven't had time to play it yet. (Bought it on same day with Odyssey and Metroid).

And there is also Splatoon, which I can personally vouch for.

So my questions are as follows.

The only issue is the battery life at times, which some games do seem to drain faster than others. You can play it strictly portable if you want though, like mentioned. Be careful with the kickstand though, it's a bit...flimsy.

There is a lot of exploring, but it does end up feeling a bit redundant over time. It really comes down to you, if you keep trying to explore everywhere without progressing the game much, you'll probably burn yourself out. Otherwise, I put like 70 hours into the game and had a blast.

While some might exaggerate in both directions, the Switch is gaining momentum unlike the Wii U. There are reports out there apparently of third party companies that are now pushing to support the Switch now that its picking up-
    https://www.destructoid.com/report-c...w-470076.phtml

I mean, Xenoblade plays more like an MMO in terms of "moves are CD based, etc", but it should be otherwise. The Blades seem to be for different fighting styles.

Thanks in advance.
    Online gaming with voice communication as mentioned. The storage is questionable.

Stardew valley if you're into life sim games. Splatoon 2 sonic mania (not forces) mk8d golf story

I'd wait til a price drop for doom and skyrim cause Bethesda trying to milk that shit.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Thats a fun looking character. Nice to see more coming out, though i would love some overwatch style skins for them all to keep people chasing something after getting all the arms on their mains.

- - - Updated - - -

Updating all my Switch games i took a look at the played list and i can't believe i've gotten 600+ moons in mario in 21 hours. Compared to my 100+ in zelda thats nothing. I guess time flies in mario compared to all the bloat in zelda between the fun moments where you amble around going "whats that sparkle? oh its just another nutboy"

10+ Year Old Account
    I have like 700 moons. I stopped playing a few days ago... ,might just do darkker side, kinda lost desire to play.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Thats a fun looking character. Nice to see more coming out, though i would love some overwatch style skins for them all to keep people chasing something after getting all the arms on their mains.

- - - Updated - - -

Updating all my Switch games i took a look at the played list and i can't believe i've gotten 600+ moons in mario in 21 hours. Compared to my 100+ in zelda thats nothing. I guess time flies in mario compared to all the bloat in zelda between the fun moments where you amble around going "whats that sparkle? oh its just another nutboy"
    I 100% the game in 35 hours. It's super weird cause it felt longer but the game is actually short
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

15+ Year Old Account
    All I want is xenobladeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    All I want is xenobladeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    I am interested in it. Lemme know how it is

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I am interested in it. Lemme know how it is
    it's going to be game of the year? helloooooo?

10+ Year Old Account
    it's going to be game of the year? helloooooo?
    needs to be out to be GOTY

15+ Year Old Account
    needs to be out to be GOTY
    no it doesn't

10+ Year Old Account
    no it doesn't

:P well gimme a full review when you get it

15+ Year Old Account
    :P well gimme a full review when you get it