Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does anyone want WoW: Classic to just be WoW the way it was released day one?

I’m fine with obvious bugs fixed and a graphics toggle. I believe we are going to get a static Wow classic, that there wont be a series of patches ect, so whatever we have when it launches is I believe all were going to have for the foreseeable future. And if that is the case I just want the game the way it launched, no raids from later in the release or class tuning ect.

'Day one' is a bit of a stretch. There were a lot of ridiculous things in the game on 'day one', including 40-man raids of 5-man instances and stuff like no attunement to MC.

So you couldnt do MC at all? Or just no attunement?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimnakh View Post
    So you couldnt do MC at all? Or just no attunement?
    You had to bring your 40man raid through BRD (again, instance size wasn't capped, so you could 40-man every instance technically). This meant clearing BRD (a very long, expansive instance) eeeeevery time you wanted to do MC, or finding a way to cheese it (like trying to drag your entire 40-man raid through the lava river by dropping down near the fire elemental boss).

Raid lockouts also weren't really a thing. I don't remember the specifics, but up until a certain patch you had to cheese it somehow to keep the instance active and the bosses dead. Not fun.

Deleted
    The big question begins at "what day one - US or EU one?"

Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    Apparently, based on the 3 dozen threads made every hour since the announcement, people don't seem to want Classic WoW. What people want some sort of Wow "a la carte" where they get to pick what features, patches and fixes to better fit their nostalgic remembrance of old.

I think this proves that making vanilla is waaaaay harder than "just flick a switch and bring back the old world".

I honestly think this is going to end up not working really. I mean, people kept saying that if they brought the servers back they wouldnt complain about bugs and balance and here we have hundreds of threads already demanding "new" features and wanting current balance philosophy to be implemented.

So yeah, like I said, people dont want classic, they want "their" version of classic.
    Nah mate, they're all "trolls" that start those threads. At least according to the head-in-the-sanders aka, vanilla purists.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post
    You had to bring your 40man raid through BRD (again, instance size wasn't capped, so you could 40-man every instance technically). This meant clearing BRD (a very long, expansive instance) eeeeevery time you wanted to do MC, or finding a way to cheese it (like trying to drag your entire 40-man raid through the lava river by dropping down near the fire elemental boss).

Raid lockouts also weren't really a thing. I don't remember the specifics, but up until a certain patch you had to cheese it somehow to keep the instance active and the bosses dead. Not fun.
    Ya I remember the lava drop entrance, I dont really want that changed, it felt a lot more like an adventure than an obvious easy portal, and raid lockouts not being there seems fine, these are features not problems.

- - - Updated - - -

US servers for sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caballitomalo View Post
    I honestly think this is going to end up not working really. I mean, people kept saying that if they brought the servers back they wouldnt complain about bugs and balance and here we have hundreds of threads already demanding "new" features and wanting current balance philosophy to be implemented.

So yeah, like I said, people dont want classic, they want "their" version of classic.
    Somehow I don't think the people wanting a bastardised verison of classic are the same people who had been asking for classic for years on end.
    People wanting it at late or early points in the development, sure, people wanting sweeping class changes to make things like ret paladins viable or archaeology added to the game? Probably not.

Nah, most people would like it to be the version before the prepatch to tbc, which would be 1.12.2 since that was the most "advanced" in terms of content released and fixes etc. Take a look around for emu servers, most of them are running either 1.12.1 or 1.12.2 versions.

I would like the classic servers run on a modern client though, but with the classic gameplay intact. Maybe some fixes here and there, something to promote world pvp, once the version has reached a certain age. People will start asking for more of these things over time anyways, so I doubt the game will completely be in standstill until infinity. Just not have constant content updates - which is actually a good thing in my book.

If it doesnt take like at least 8 days playerd to hit 60 its not classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    So do you want everything that was in the game before 2.0? No transmog, no new models, no new races, no new classes, classes have to use their original consumables, leveling your weapons and more. I dont really know much about vanilla since I started mid BC. The only thing I can see about legacy servers is blizz gets a model working then never touches it again because it has already existed and no more improvements can be made to a product that no longer exists. Which is why I would see it not lasting a long time.
    Last edited by Nuvuk; 2017-11-16 at 04:05 AM.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% certain it's going to be 1.12. They aren't going to start from the beginning because, like, 90% of what made Classic WoW Classic WoW isn't in that patch. They're going to give people the most Vanilla content they can give the community. Besides, eventually it would reach 1.12, and at that point people would wonder why they didn't just start Vanilla WoW AT 1.12. It just makes more sense.
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

I think it would be neat it it started off that way, and then progressed through all of the patches up until 1.12. Then, after 1.12, clone the servers and have the clones move onwards to 2.0 (because you know people are going to be wanting classic BC if this is successful) while the originals stay on 1.12 forever.

7+ Year Old Account
    Day 1? No. Patch 1.12? Yes.

Day one would be ah interesting have a look at druids talents from beta 8 right before the game released. I couldn't find day one talents as this was the closest I could find. There werent to many changes done up to release though for most classes. Druids spot was interesting and horrible to say the least.

Broken talent calculator only shows you the first tree.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111012...ents.View.Beta

But it has a full list of talents here
    https://web.archive.org/web/20111205...ry_select_id=8
    Look at that compared to any random 1.12.1 talent calculator.
    While day one would be interesting to see temporary I certainly wouldn't want classic to release this way.

Edit: link on the calculator was broken

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    That's what I'd want. Then wrath. God I'd love to raid ICC.
    It wouldn't really be feasible to have copies of every expansion prior to the current one. It is already a stretch to see how many players are actually consistently going to be playing on a copy of vanilla, but to further spread that across multiple years' worth of expansions seems really improbable to sustain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    It wouldn't really be feasible to have copies of every expansion prior to the current one. It is already a stretch to see how many players are actually consistently going to be playing on a copy of vanilla, but to further spread that across multiple years' worth of expansions seems really improbable to sustain.
    Of course it doesn't. But they opened this can of worms with saying they want to release classic WoW. I for one would also enjoy TBC more for the simply reason that I barely did any PvE in it and would like to actually experience that. And I would love to relive Wrath, going to the early dungeons with friends was great. Oh, oh, and Cataclysm! What would I give to actually to the unnerfed Cata Heroics again, it was the most fun I had in Dungeon up until Legion introduced Mythic+! And then we have Mists of Pandaria, man, remember old Vale of Eternal Blossoms? If they could add that again...

See were I am going? The above is actually true for me, but you can be sure that now after Classic was announced and will be released in whatever form, people will demand the other expansions.
    @Topic:
    I would love one of two things. Either start at Day 1, minus bug and exploits, or look at all Vanilla Patches and release a Patch 1.13, which is a sort of "best of" version. All dungeons and raids available, but MC mobs are bufed up because you can go to ZG and get T0.5 before you even enter MC. Also, let us have unnerfed version of 5 man dungeons or only add some of the later nerfs. Release Alterac Valley in it's 1.5 or 1.8 version, not the 1.11 one or mix it up with changs from all 3 versions. Stuff like should be included here. But I would like to see something like this only if they decide to not add any new content and have a single patch that plays as much like vanilla as the game that changed during those two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    Of course it doesn't. But they opened this can of worms with saying they want to release classic WoW. I for one would also enjoy TBC more for the simply reason that I barely did any PvE in it and would like to actually experience that. And I would love to relive Wrath, going to the early dungeons with friends was great. Oh, oh, and Cataclysm! What would I give to actually to the unnerfed Cata Heroics again, it was the most fun I had in Dungeon up until Legion introduced Mythic+! And then we have Mists of Pandaria, man, remember old Vale of Eternal Blossoms? If they could add that again...

See were I am going? The above is actually true for me, but you can be sure that now after Classic was announced and will be released in whatever form, people will demand the other expansions.
    Yes, but Blizzard doesn't NEED to do any of that after releasing a classic server. This is a mindset that I feel is a major problem with the MMORPG genre as a whole. Players think that if they demand something long enough that they will get it, or that they deserve it because player desire trumps company vision for their product, at least some players see it that way. In the end Blizzard may have opened the can of worms, but they don't have to take any further if they don't want to, outside of simply telling players no forever.

Quote Originally Posted by heinz0r View Post
    Nah, most people would like it to be the version before the prepatch to tbc, which would be 1.12.2 since that was the most "advanced" in terms of content released and fixes etc. Take a look around for emu servers, most of them are running either 1.12.1 or 1.12.2 versions.
    TBC prepatch were 2.0 and looked quite different from 1.12.

Quote Originally Posted by bash the fash View Post

Lava runs are a thing, it's how you get Ironfoe/Hand of Justice ''fast''.

But that's just an annoyance, rather not. Plus it makes instances faceroll if you can just 20 man a 5 man dungeon.