Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    You are blowing shit out of proportion to impose yourself on others. Look at what you are saying here: "having more options isn't necessarily good" as opposed to what? Having no options because you like it that way? I would rather burn my pc before that day comes.

"e.g., If your goal is to gear up an alt, and the choices are: [1] search for a guild progressing through an old raid to gear up. or [2] Do some M+, LFR, normal, and get better gear than [1] and do so much more quickly. People are not like to pick the former, even if they would have enjoyed that experience more."

This example is like saying: I can't hold my pee and poo so everyone must wear diappers. Noone forces you to do content fast. Do it slow. You still won't miss nothing. If you care not to miss stuff just fly.

"Better yet, imagine if Blizzard gave you the "option" to purchase (with $) BIS legendaries, or gear in general" Well I don't have to imagine it because it will never happen.

As for flying affecting the so called community I am pretty sure it has bigger problems than flying. Like for instance the fact that its not a community but a gathering of self absorbed tits who are usually too busy to interact with other humans apart from some external software breaking down stats for them.

Yeah flying sucks. I would love to be grounded in a den of idiots.
    I'm not "blowing shit out of proportion to impose yourself on others." I'm saying that flight being in the game 'does' effect people, whether or not they participate in it. How exactly is that "blowing shit out of proportion?"

And that's not a valid interpretation of my example. I'll simplify it for you.

I set a goal of: obtaining gear
    and gave options of: [a] obtain useless gear slowly, or [b] obtain useful gear quickly.

Which one do you think people are going to pick? Do you think they will pick the option that might be more fun, or that accomplishes their goal?

My use of a logical extreme was just to show an example of an option can that is clearly bad.

I never said it was a large effect. Earlier in the thread I stated that flying added nothing and was a small negative.

And wtf is this nonsense, that WoW doesn't have a community? A mediocre community, is still a community.

community - a social, religious, occupational, or other group sharing common characteristics or interests and perceived or perceiving itself as distinct in some respect from the larger society within which it exists
    Last edited by Lumicide; 2017-11-15 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    I'm not "blowing shit out of proportion to impose yourself on others." I'm saying that flight being in the game 'does' effect people, whether or not they participate in it. How exactly is that "blowing shit out of proportion?"
    I think what's being blown out of proportion is the supposed harmful impact that flying has on the game. It's based on the assumption that being able to fly allows you to skip content which would otherwise be an enjoyable and vital experience from the ground.

The assumption that the ground-based experience is objectively better is VERY difficult to prove, especially when Blizzard is constantly showering players with other tools to skip that content. And it's also based on a VERY flawed supposition that everyone plays the open world part of the game seeking the same experience. Many people have ZERO interest in slogging through the ratmaze terrain and being assaulted by trivial monsters constantly.

And to be brutally honest, ratmaze terrain and trivial monsters are the lion's share of this supposedly superior grounded experience that flight is bypassing. It doesn't add up.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    NERF FLIGHT. It's the only solution, debating flight enabled or flight disabled is arguing in absolutes for no real reason.

Popularity & accessibility doesn't mean quality.
    Keep up the 1 short sentence, trollish replies. Noone pays attention to you anymore.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    Keep up the 1 short sentence, trollish replies. Noone pays attention to you anymore.
    If you had no response you should've said nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    I never said it was a large effect. Earlier in the thread I stated that flying added nothing and was a small negative.
    Then having it as an option should be a small negative. If it is a small negative, then why the constant debate for and against?

Not it wasn't, flying was great.

Ingame shop, ability prune and, wow tokens and lvl boost were the worst thing Blizzard ever did to wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Then having it as an option should be a small negative. If it is a small negative, then why the constant debate for and against?
    Because there are a lot of people who will believe anything that Blizzard says without actually applying critical thinking. And the worst part? Blizzard never actually said that flying is harmful to the game. That's the thing that the idiot fans have taken an blown out of proportion. The only thing that Blizzard actually said is that flying presents too many design challenges for the direction they want to take the game, and creates problems for them being able to maintain full control of how players approach content.

So it's not the flying is bad for the game, it's that Blizzard(more specifically Ion Hazzicostas) wants to create a flat, two-dimensional open world with less player options so that they can better control how long content lasts. This is why Pathfinder not only makes you wait 8+ months to get flying, but why flying is only usable in content you've already played. It's also why pathfinder requires you to exhaust so much of the content in the first place.

People who have stopped to really analyze and think about how flying is being used in WoD and Legion recognize this. Whereas the haters and super-fans just swallow whatever nonsense explanation Blizzard spits out as long as it sounds even remotely plausible.

Thus: Arguments.

I mean...FFS. I have seen people say that it is LITERALLY impossible to create a good MMO with flying despite the existence of TBC, WotLK, Cata, and MoP.

Then there's the people who say that seeing other people flying hurts their experience, but who also admit to using flight when pressed about the issue.

I've watched as people continue to claim that flying is the single largest reason world PVP is dead, as though battlegrounds, arena, and instant teleports to dungeons/raids just don't exist.

The only thing flying actually hurts is people's egos when they have to actually consider the idea that their lord and savior Blizzard might actually not be their best friend with only pure and good intentions.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-11-17 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Because there are a lot of people who will believe anything that Blizzard says without actually applying critical thinking. And the worst part? Blizzard never actually said that flying is harmful to the game. That's the thing that the idiot fans have taken an blown out of proportion. The only thing that Blizzard actually said is that flying presents too many design challenges for the direction they want to take the game, and creates problems for them being able to maintain full control of how players approach content.

So it's not the flying is bad for the game, it's that Blizzard(more specifically Ion Hazzicostas) wants to create a flat, two-dimensional open world with less player options so that they can better control how long content lasts. This is why Pathfinder not only makes you wait 8+ months to get flying, but why flying is only usable in content you've already played. It's also why pathfinder requires you to exhaust so much of the content in the first place.

People who have stopped to really analyze and think about how flying is being used in WoD and Legion recognize this. Whereas the haters and super-fans just swallow whatever nonsense explanation Blizzard spits out as long as it sounds even remotely plausible.

Thus: Arguments.

I mean...FFS. I have seen people say that it is LITERALLY impossible to create a good MMO with flying. Then there's the people who say that seeing other people flying hurts their experience, but who also admit to using flight when pressed about the issue. I've watched as people continue to claim that flying is the single largest reason world PVP is dead, as though battlegrounds, arena, and instant teleports to dungeons/raids just don't exist.

The only thing flying actually hurts is people's egos when they have to actually consider the idea that their lord and savior Blizzard might actually not be their best friend with only pure and good intentions.

It's always hilarious watching flying extremists try to explain things.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2017-11-17 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

Wrath and MoP were the best 4 years of this game and they both had flying

I think being on the ground gives you a unique perspective you don't get from flying. But flying does the same thing! (It gives you a new fun perspective you never got from being on the ground.)

This is why I support flying, but having it "gated" in some way. (I don't think an 8+ month gate is necessary, mind you.)

As for the PVP woes of flying? That won't be a problem in BFA.

Flying mounts are not really the issue... the fact the entire world is teethless and mobs can't hope to kill you 20 on one with zero drops is more of a reason content feels stale then simply flying over the boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Growel View Post
    I think being on the ground gives you a unique perspective you don't get from flying. But flying does the same thing! (It gives you a new fun perspective you never got from being on the ground.)

This is why I support flying, but having it "gated" in some way. (I don't think an 8+ month gate is necessary, mind you.)

As for the PVP woes of flying? That won't be a problem in BFA.
    Maybe we should start out flying and fight our way down below the ground, or into indoor areas instead?

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    They won't and here is why. If they make pristine vanilla then people would whine about how it's bad, how it's inconvenient, how it's grindy and stupid. If they alter it, people would whine about how it's not what they wanted. There is no good solution here.
    Wrong. Those people aren't the intended audience for Classic and they will weed themselves out quick. Blizzard seems fully prepared for this by focusing on appeasing the hardest of the hardcore vanilla purists. The recent Q&A with Ion confirms this. They know there is already an established community willing to play the untouched version of vanilla. These are the intended audience they want to gather up and provide an official server for.

Vanilla will be vanilla. They're just deciding which patch of it to implement.
    Last edited by Donair; 2017-11-18 at 01:40 AM.

Deleted
    Totally agree. It broke that magical atmosphere, that feeling of danger when you are wandering in forest and other stuff like that.

The worst thing Blizzard ever did was implement flying mounts and not implement flying mount content.
    Instead, in stupid as fuck blizzard fashion--as always--they stuck to ground only content.
    They could have made an amazing 3d spatial use of their tools, but they basically stuck to boring, unadvanced, 2d top down content.

Such a shame.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Popularity & accessibility doesn't mean quality.
    That is a matter of personal opinion. I know people who thinks raids are the best thing in WoW. And I also know people who have the total opposite view.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv_ View Post
    The worst thing Blizzard ever did was implement flying mounts and not implement flying mount content.
    Instead, in stupid as fuck blizzard fashion--as always--they stuck to ground only content.
    They could have made an amazing 3d spatial use of their tools, but they basically stuck to boring, unadvanced, 2d top down content.

Such a shame.
    I fully agree with this. They could have made flying fantastic. Made the air an actual threat. But they messed up.

Flight itself never ruined the game. Poor decisions around ground and flight are what they did wrong. Consider that the height limit in most zones is absolutely massive when there was never any reason for it to be so high. Or that there isnt anything in the air itself that can challenge you. Imagine what world pvp COULD have been like if they allowed mounted fighting and tweaked it correctly. I also believe that making flight 150/280/300 was a huge mistake. If it was slower, like it was in BC, it would feel better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    Wrong. Those people aren't the intended audience for Classic and they will weed themselves out quick. Blizzard seems fully prepared for this by focusing on appeasing the hardest of the hardcore vanilla purists. The recent Q&A with Ion confirms this. They know there is already an established community willing to play the untouched version of vanilla. These are the intended audience they want to gather up and provide an official server for.

Vanilla will be vanilla. They're just deciding which patch of it to implement.
    I understand and I agree with you, but look at literally few posts above mine where people already whine about not having flying in vanilla and see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Restricting flight after it was implemented was the worst thing Blizzard ever did.
    This ^

/10char
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I like flying mounts and I think it's great it's in this game. I also like how it is restricted in WOD and Legion because it gives casuals something to work towards, another major achievement that makes lifes easier afterwards.

But in general, in my humble opinion, flying should remain in the game. I would actually introduce an additional level of the skill now, as 310% has been with us too long and often I'd prefer faster flight speed.