Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    I would argue that, ironically, choosing to vote 'No' is an inherently undemocratic act.

Taken from Wikipedia (you can find the actual citation there):

A 'No' vote is pretty much an attempt to abuse (b) to subvert (c). So I personally find it ironic that people turn to 'democratic rights' when defending their freedom of expression. Hence my karma comment.
    That seem to be his idea of what democracy should be about and not what it is.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    That seem to be his idea of what democracy should be about and not what it is.
    Yes, many so-called 'democracies' aren't true democracies. For example, many people confuse Democracy with Ochlocracy (aka Mob rule), which is what happens when you only consider the elective process, but ignore the other tenets.

- - - Updated - - -

Tbh I don't even agree that such decisions as this should even be subject to a referendum. They should be decided by constitutional judges who are tasked with deciding what is consistent with a country's constitution. If a country proclaims to be "democratic", "free", "fair" and in support of things like "human rights" then there shouldn't even be a debate.

For all the flaws my own country has (and yes, I realise it has many) South Africa changed our laws on gay marriage without any need for a referendum because our constitutional court found that we needed to do so if we were to be consistent with our constitution. At the time the laws were changed we still had a lot of people with very conservative views on the topic, but by making the ruling it did, people have actually become a lot more tolerant of the idea.

It was never a question of "do you believe in gay marriage". It was a statement of "if you genuinely believe in democracy and human rights then you need to accept gay marriage".
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2017-11-15 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It was a delaying tactic. Nothing but cheap politics... well except for the "cheap" part. This little pointless stunt cost $122m.

Good thing the Liberal Party are such fiscal conservatives.
    Oh most definitely.

It just saddens me that we had to go through all this to get an answer that that was already known. Most people expected a 60-40 split because that's how most polls and public forums were already leaning. But nope we had to spend $122m on this because we don't already have enough real issues to spend money in here (NBN fixes anybody? lol).

15+ Year Old Account
    That's nice and all, but it doesn't mean anything when by the time it goes through, most people will have died from a spider or kangaroo or bird or a kohuwala. Rip

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    I mean, you can think about the issue what you want - but I kinda have to agree with him, criminal property damage isn't really funny.
    So they smashed the windows and left the sign perfectly placed and undamaged. Thia is fake.

Today they make same sex marriage legal, tomorrow incest and day after pedofilia.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-11-16 at 03:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    I'm honestly more shocked that it had an 80% voter turn out. With electoral voting being compulsory by law in Australia, it's great to see that a non-compulsory vote (one of only 4 in Australia's history) had such huge numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Today they make same sex marriage legal, tomorrow incest and day after pedofilia.
    Ah yes, the good ol' Helen Lovejoy defense.

Yup, probably necrophilia after that too.

And then... Furries. Furries everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Ah yes, the good ol' Helen Lovejoy defense.

Do I defend anyone? Did I attack anyone? I just give my opinion on matter and predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Authary View Post
    Yup, probably necrophilia after that too.

And then... Furries. Furries everywhere.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all.
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    I find it strange they even needed to VOTE to allow it, it should just be something they allow.
    because obviously everyone agrees with you.
    not even the majority agrees with you.
    only enough to influence the few that write laws agree with you.
    i maintain that it is not government's job to force people to accept deviants.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Good for them, +1 to the ever-growing list. I can only hope others will follow soon.
    P.S.
    Turnout of 80%? Thats pretty impressive and 62% for Yes is quite decisive too. Unlike certain country with a certain referendum about certain union.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    It means that 38% of Australia believes they have the right to tell people what to do in matters of no consequence to them. That is a bit scary.

It still baffles me why anyone would be against gay marriage. It will have ZERO effect on anyone who is not gay and wants to get married.
    The results aren't split by age, but I think it's pretty safe to say those are weighted towards old people and rural voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    That's nice and all, but it doesn't mean anything when by the time it goes through, most people will have died from a spider or kangaroo or bird or a kohuwala. Rip
    Read this three times before I figured out you meant "koala".

They allowed you to post on this forum, tomorrow you'll be sodomising your mother!

/slippery slope fallacies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    The results aren't split by age, but I think it's pretty safe to say those are weighted towards old people and rural voters.

Read this three times before I figured out you meant "koala".

They allowed you to post on this forum, tomorrow you'll be sodomising your mother!

Well I googled how to spell it. I guess it lied.

10+ Year Old Account
    The strongest 'No' electorates were the Western Sydney immigrant suburbs. Rural 'straya was weaker than inner city 'straya but still surprisingly mostly in the Yes camp. I also know (anecdotes...) and am related to a good number of young people who are firmly in the homophobic camp.

Alas, I'm in one of the top 5 Yes electorates, and I contributed to that number.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Well I googled how to spell it. I guess it lied.
    Bahahahaah I was hoping it was real, it was!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    The strongest 'No' electorates were the Western Sydney immigrant suburbs. Rural 'straya was weaker than inner city 'straya but still surprisingly mostly in the Yes camp. I also know (anecdotes...) and am related to a good number of young people who are firmly in the homophobic camp.

Alas, I'm in one of the top 5 Yes electorates, and I contributed to that number.
    Yeah but it was only by a few percent even in the case of Western Sydney.

I strongly suspect that age was a more determinate factor - thing is you can't see anything on the geo map because geography simply isn't as big a lead indicator as you'd imagine.

I was actually expecting QLD to be the biggest No state...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Yeah but it was only by a few percent even in the case of Western Sydney.

I strongly suspect that age was a more determinate factor - thing is you can't see anything on the geo map because geography simply isn't as big a lead indicator as you'd imagine.

I was actually expecting QLD to be the biggest No state...
    Yeah NSW blindsided me as well.

So I get infraction, but this guy won't? This forum is so one sided ...

So I get infraction, but this guy won't? This forum is so one sided ...
    Posting nonsense and making a post mocking said nonsense are not equal.