Poll: Most Fun Lock Spec

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I see a lot of people say MOP destro was amazing, I feel like there were aspects of it that were great like shadowburn sniping... but charred remains was a bit much, i'd rather have a really powerful chaos bolt that a million meh ones. There were some OP talents though like Kil'jeadan's cunning and Mannoroth's fury...

On topic, I feel like affliction is kinda boring sometimes but overall it's still decent. Destruction is a bit more engaging I wish it had a BIT more mobility, although planning movement can be fun. Demo just feels outright rigid, but it can be interesting.
    Last edited by Gohzerlock; 2017-11-15 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by einaschern View Post
    No one is talking about Vanilla here.
    There have been numerous playstyles in the past 10 years that were more than spamming shadowbolt.
    Though, I really miss nightfall procs.
    I cba to check if I replied to you, but I've specifically replied to a post saying 'Good thing these aren't the devs who will make classic warlocks' or something like that. Hence my answer. And yeah, no shit, I've played warlock ever since end of cata, so I know of plenty fun playstyles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    I see a lot of people say MOP destro was amazing, I feel like there were aspects of it that were great like shadowburn sniping... but charred remains was a bit much, i'd rather have a really powerful chaos bolt that a million meh ones. There were some OP talents though like Kil'jeadan's cunning and Mannoroth's fury...

On topic, I feel like affliction is kinda boring sometimes but overall it's still decent. Destruction is a bit more engaging I wish it had a BIT more mobility, although planning movement can be fun. Demo just feels outright rigid, but it can be interesting.
    Wasn't charred remains a WoD spell?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaut View Post

Wasn't charred remains a WoD spell?

IIRC, Charred Remains came in WoD. KJC talent I miss for the kiting that made Destro a blast in MoP; after they nerfed it in 5.4 is when the spec went downhill. Manno's Fury I rarely used except for some raid trash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    IIRC, Charred Remains came in WoD. KJC talent I miss for the kiting that made Destro a blast in MoP; after they nerfed it in 5.4 is when the spec went downhill. Manno's Fury I rarely used except for some raid trash, etc.
    For me I remember KJ Cunning, Mannoroth's fury, and Archimonde's Vengeance or smth back in MoP. Not 100% sure though. I really liked KJ cunning also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hate hate hate hate Affliction. It just feels boring.

Demonology is okay...I like the class fantasy honestly of summoning a billion imps but, as complained about by pretty much every 'lock, empowering is a clunky mechanic.

Destruction is where it's at, although it's not nearly as fun as it used to be. My biggest complaint is that Chaos Bolts don't hit very hard at all...I'd prefer it if they went back to super hard hitting CBs that you need to use more thought to set up. It's kind of lame seeing the massive crits my Arm Warrior gets on EPX2 Mortal Strikes and then seeing the limp noodle CBs.

Demo and Destro are really close. Affliction is mind numbingly basic and boring

The problem with all 3 warlock specs, at least from a Mythic raider's perspective, is that Blizzard gets Warlock utility done with Gateway.

Sure, it was "useful" with KJ orbs, but hey, do we really need to bind a key, which was not used anywhere else, to the mousewheel and roll it crazy-mode to use?

I say this garbage is waaay overvalued. I'd rather have Dark Bargain back instead of Gateway so I'm useful as other pures with soaks.
    (but still inferior to them due to movement speed issues, but that's ok bc we look cool)
    Also designing fights to use a unique utility (like LeiShen) is plain stupid - at least 2-3 specs should have the same (or mostly similar) utility.

For the gameplay, Warlocks were always a little obscure to play at the top level. I'm sure most of us liked that aspect of Warlocks - to always find some weird talent/trinket/gear/mechanic combination which shoot us to the top in either usefulness or damage.

Legion is the very first expansion where we only left with the "dark" side of warlocks. If you look at all the spec changes from WoD -> Legion, the most things removed award goes to the 3 warlock specs.
    Sure, Affliction's damage is OP right now, but is it useful? Would you rather bring 3 locks - 0 mages or 3 mages - 0 locks?
    Can Affliction burst down dangerous adds? Can it save the raid from a wipe by playing at a god-tier level?

TLDR: gameplay of locks were always weird, but they made up by being useful. Now they just weird with affli/demo being good at boss damage, destro is good on priority damage, but that is all they can do.
    From a not-high-end Mythic raider perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Ahh right, in mop was when chaos bolt did mega damage until they had to neuter it and put a dot on it because pvp reasons.

i find destruction more boring than affliction and demo just does not pay off for the annoying playstyle of the spec.

overall I don't enjoy my lock much this expansion outside of UA/WiA M+ builds

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    Ahh right, in mop was when chaos bolt did mega damage until they had to neuter it and put a dot on it because pvp reasons.
    It was mainly because incompetent melees whined about getting blown up by Destros or warlocks, because the 3-button mutant mongoloids couldn't handle using their own very effective tools to counter a good warlock. The DPET and resource cost of a spell like CB has to be considered before nerfing it to hell.

So now we have the melee-favored meta of Legion, where rated PvP has lost at least 60-70% of its former participants because of an overall piss poor design.

Demonology, good idea badly executed, afflic just isn't flash enough for me I feel like you just stick you hand in the air and poof damage

I love affliction on Legion. Very smooth relatively simple rotation where you can really focus on multidotting, movement and overall efficiency without being too punished or overwhelmed by clunky mechanics. In other words there is not much RNG to the spec, it's very reliable. I love having this degree of control over my performance. I'm not a fan of the artifact ability, I hate sitting on a single target not getting a lot of souls, but it's a small price to pay.

I love it in PvP too, very little setup for high, reliable and sustained damage. Seed of corruption often feels like a nuclear bomb too if there are enough targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    . In other words there is not much RNG to the spec, it's very reliable. I love having this degree of control over my performance.
    So this^
    I'm not a fan of the artifact ability, I hate sitting on a single target not getting a lot of souls, but it's a small price to pay.
    Is contradictory to this^

Because the latter is caused by the RNG in the spec which causes you to:

being too punished or overwhelmed by clunky mechanics
    Was a really weird paragraph to read.

I'm glad you enjoy it regardless though.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    i find destruction more boring than affliction and demo just does not pay off for the annoying playstyle of the spec.

overall I don't enjoy my lock much this expansion outside of UA/WiA M+ builds
    Yeah that's pretty much me too. I find myself just not likely any of the 3 specs as much as previous xpacs. Today I'd favour Aff. In MOP destro for sure. Loved those CBs. Felt so good and the spec just had such a nice rhythm to it. I haven't like demo oh geez, since, ah Wrath maybe, and even then, mostly for levelling. Everything Demo related since wrath has just been too clunky for too little a payoff.

in PVP, regardless of xpac, AFF, hands down, even when other builds have been OP or strategically advantageous, I just like pvp AFF much more mechanically.

Still, overall, this xpac has seen, imo, the least exciting specs for locks.

Deleted
    MoP/WoD Demo >>>>> Legionspecs

I rerolled to warlock because of Demo back in ToT (at the same time green fire became a thing). Looking backwards I did like the MG gfx back in MoP too, snapshotting I'm glad they removed but Affliction lost some depth because of it. I think Aff could really use Nightfall procs for some shadowbolts in between to break up the rotation and maybe reduce Agony to 5 stacks for faster rampup. For a DoT spec we sure could use some more DoT related skills (application and maybe more dots).

Started as Demo in Legion, but the haste requirements (yay low ilvl gear with haste > high ilvl gear without haste), and just always feeling like you are behind the curve (if that makes sense). Demo is like affliction if you would need shards for every dot and you need to buff your dots to make em do damage. If Demo went back to Shadow + Fel magic (hello soulfire) and the temporary summons would change to the same format as the old imps (summon x and it deals 10 attacks of damage no matter the haste) it would be easier to balance, easier to bring your army to the next mob in the world or during phase changes of bosses, and generally more fun I think.

Deleted
    Years ago I played affliction almost exclusively and loved it enough to still be enjoying myself even in tiers like FL / DS where I almost felt like quitting if that was the quality of raids we'd be getting, haven't been able to stand it since the MOP revamp and it seems to get worse in some aspect with every expansion.

Destruction and demonology are both significantly more enjoyable than affliction for me in Legion. Phone me when shadowbolt is back, MG is dead and UA isn't a resource spender.

I miss my Demonology Warlock with the wings and AOE Life Drain... *Cry*

Any class with great survivability through damaging a mob and receiving healing from it is the spec/class that I will play. So--Affliction is the most enjoyable spec for me and it has since I've had a Warlock.

Deleted
    I prefer Destruction because it's the most visually interesting. I love the green/fire turret portals and Channel Demonfire looks decent too.