Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is hunter the best class for soloing?

Straight up question. I have had bad luck with guilds, as most of them does not speak english but rather german, french, russian or whatever, and the few english speaking guilds I have found have been with players who didn't really want to play the game but rather just use the guild chat.

So my question is, is hunter the best class for solo players?

Deleted
    Blood DK I'd imagine, didn't a Blood DK solo Gul'Dan recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    That was a vengeance DH

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bantais View Post
    Straight up question. I have had bad luck with guilds, as most of them does not speak english but rather german, french, russian or whatever, and the few english speaking guilds I have found have been with players who didn't really want to play the game but rather just use the guild chat.

So my question is, is hunter the best class for solo players?
    Not at all, DK, DH and Warlocks are all better. Hunter would likely be 4th, unless I'm forgetting some class.

I'd say DH is currently the best, with Warlocks and DKs close behind, and close to eachother, but for different types of content.

For a long time, hunters (with their own tank that they can heal) were the best at soloing content. You could send in pet, and auto-shot your way to killing a mob, and it wouldn't even touch you. (Just your pet.) And a good hunter was the best at kiting mobs, too.

Nowadays, other classes are pretty good at soloing stuff. MOST (all?) classes can solo well, in fact.

It also depends on what your parameters are.

1. Having to press as few buttons as possible? Any class that has a tank pet.

2. As FAST as possible? Not sure.

3. Killing mobs your level without dropping below 100% HP (literally taking ZERO damage)? Disc Priests are awesome at that, and still have a semi-decent kill speed. And you COULD do it by spamming just one ability over and over, if you wanted.

I assume most tanks would be, with Hunters/Warlocks falling in line. Discipline is quite fun for doing this as well. And I honestly miss the end of MoP, where I got to heal/tank as a Mistweaver Monk in 5-man dungeons. In the end, it comes down to what the encounter is and what anyone can do during it. That said, I get a lot of fun out of playing Arcane and being able to bait/string.

Tank specs are best, and I would say warlocks are better than hunters. Hunters can't really deal with high tank damage, mend pet is pretty weak when compared to what tanks and warlocks can mitigate and heal.

Ultimately though the only challenging solo content is WoD stuff and up, everything below that can be soloed by all classes and specs. I don't know what you want to solo.

Blood DKs over the past few years have been best at soloing content, including raid content.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconja View Post
    was a vengeance DH,but I did it myself as blood so both are capable,DH just have far better movement and CC,however blood has better self healing

If you don't have to run from things,blood will be better at soloing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Ultimately though the only challenging solo content is WoD stuff and up, everything below that can be soloed by all classes and specs. I don't know what you want to solo.
    I was thinking about creating a new character and starting fresh. But im not sure if it will be too time consuming. I haven't made a fresh character for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    Not at all, DK, DH and Warlocks are all better. Hunter would likely be 4th, unless I'm forgetting some class.
    I was just curious because blizzard recommends rolling a hunter for solo play on their website.

Aff lock, imo. You literally have to try to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blood DK and veng DH are kings...than long nothing. Since they nerfed pets after MoP hunters and locks are on par with others.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would depend on what exactly you are trying to solo.
    If you are just clearing older content up to MOP, any class can toast thru it at high level easily.
    If you are focusing on current content, soloing elites, etc, then a Hunter is good, but not the Solo king.
    Tank Specs will always be up there, as will Warlocks or classes with self healing like a Monk or Paladin.

Deleted
    Well with a good tank pet and if u are good healing it, yeah, we are great for solo stuff

I was just curious because blizzard recommends rolling a hunter for solo play on their website.
    They also think the class balance is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    They also think the class balance is fine.

I was thinking about creating a new character and starting fresh. But im not sure if it will be too time consuming. I haven't made a fresh character for a long time.

The solo play part is a bit outdated, but I wouldn't say it's wrong.

Hunter is probably the easiest class to solo play with out of the box. It's really easy to set your pet on a target, have him tank it and kill the mob.
    On top of that hunters have quite a low skill floor, meaning that it's really easy to just start and be decent about it, unlike some other classes. That's also what has given hunter the name of being the "easy class" in the past, even though being easy to get into says nothing really about the dept of play for the harder stuff.

Solo play is also a bit hard to define. Are you talking about solo questing? Are you talking about soloing old content? Are you talking about solo stuff as doing raids in pugs? They all prefer different kind of classes and approaches.

Hunters are excellent for new players. If you're not talking about soloing dungeon/raid bosses/rares (which is what was implied) and you actually mean leveling and playing solo, hunters are for sure the best, (IF YOU'RE NEW) purely because it has a pet that can tank, and feign death.

Pull too much? Happens a lot, Feign.
    Run through an area with a mount, get dismounted+dazed but have too many mobs on you? Feign.
    Try to fight something you can't solo? Feign.

Warlock is definitely close to being just as good, affliction probably is, it just doesn't have the *reset* button that hunter does, when you overestimate what you can do.

Deleted
    BM is great to do anything solo. Using Aspect your pet has permanent 30% dmg reduce + additional dmg reduce with misdirection every 30 seconds. Things you can't do: present raid content, as your pet can't taunt a raid boss (and the healing will not be enough). Mythic or low mythic + are also easily possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nythiz View Post
    Solo play is also a bit hard to define. Are you talking about solo questing? Are you talking about soloing old content? Are you talking about solo stuff as doing raids in pugs? They all prefer different kind of classes and approaches.
    Yes, mostly. I was thinking about starting fresh and solo questing to level 110, but im not sure how long it would take, especially because i prefer to skip random dungeons.

Yes, mostly. I was thinking about starting fresh and solo questing to level 110, but im not sure how long it would take, especially because i prefer to skip random dungeons.
    Without heirlooms it can take a while, with heirlooms it's not too harsh.
    The biggest problem leveling that way is that you outlevel the zones really fast, so even though you're only halfway through the zone, you're forced to go to the next.

Unless you're planning on playing right now, I'd wait until they make all the classic zones scale with level. That should massively improve quality of life while leveling by quests rather than dungeons.

As for class. Hunter is excellent for this. It's easy to learn and the combination of having a pet and having feign death allow you to get out of most hairy situations.
    Is it the best? I don't know, i doubt it. Playing as tank class is often superior as you can group a lot of quest mobs with body pulls and cleave them down.
    I don't think any class is bad at this kind of solo play anymore, only thing is that some classes like rogues/mages lack some selfhealing or tanking options; making elite mobs or large group of mobs tricky without good play.
    Last edited by Nythiz; 2017-11-17 at 10:03 PM.