Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Vry'Kul Tiras - Human Allied Race

I'm the biggest playable-Vrykul advocate there is. However, the more I look at models and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the Alliance will get Kul Tiras human models as an Allied Race. BUT, if Blizzard plays their cards right, it might be a choice Vrykul fans can get on board with.

Theory: Kul Tiras player characters are Half-Vrykuls

Because I speculate that neither Vrykul or "fat humans" would be an accepted idea by the community to substitute for Humans, I am presenting the suggestion that instead, the inhabitants of Kul Tiras are actually between Vrykul and Human in the evolutionary chain. A "Half-Vrykul", if you will; like a Half-Giant in standard RPGs. I'll be covering the following four lore based areas to support this theory: History, Geography, Place Names and Culture. Then I'll conclude with screen shots of the large Kul Tiras male.

History:
    Throughout WoW we have been given the history of the Vrykul and Humanity. In a nutshell, the Titans/Keepers create Iron Vrykul, the Curse of Flesh makes them Vrykul, and the curse evolves to cause them to produce smaller offspring. At some point Vrykuls migrate to the Broken Isles in Stormheim, and another group flees with the Keeper Tyr to what becomes Tirisfal. The smaller offspring eventually become what we know as Humans.

From Blizzcon we learn Kul Tiras is an "Ancient Human Kingdom".

Geography:
    Here is an image of Kul Tiras from Blizzcon. It is placed directly between the known Vrykul locations of Stormheim and Tirisfal, and south of the Howling Fjord in Northrend. Ancient Vrykul must have set foot on the islands of Kul Tiras at some point in history.

Place Names:
    In Northrend and the Broken Isles we have Vrykul settlements with nordic sounding names like Valgarde and Nifflevar. The Vrykul that accompanied Tyr at his death site named the area "Tyr's Fall" which later became known as Tirisfal.

In Kul Tiras we have towns named Tiragarde Sound and Drustvar. Is it too much to conject that 'Kul Tiras' might also have once been named for Tyr?

Culture:
    Both Vrykul and Kul Tirasians are nautical cultures. Ships and sailing are not just part of their lives but the focus of it. Both take pride in monster hunting. Both have fringes that worship death magic.

Examples:

Here are some screenshots of Kul Tiras males in-game. Some to show the physical relation to Vrykul, and others to show the size differences between Kul Tirasians and Humans:

Standing Kul Tirasians vs standing Human female
    Sitting Kul Tirasian vs standing Human male
    Vrykul looking Kul Tirasian

Finally, here is a composite of the stock Kul Tiras male with a Vrykul beard. If this isn't enough to excite you as a Half-Vrykul allied race, I don't know what will.

Conclusion:
    Based on the shared History, Geography, Place Names and Culture of both Vrykul and Kul Tiras, it is clear to see the influence of the former on the latter. Coupled with the obvious size differences between a Kul Tiras male and a typical Human, and it's hard not to argue that these men are more closely related to Vrykul than the current playable humans (without the "getting-through-door" problems!).

With some minor cosmetic tweaks, a Kul Tiras Allied Race could be added to the Alliance as an effective playable Half-Vrykul.

So is Jaina half vrykul?

Quote Originally Posted by Andromedes View Post
    So is Jaina half vrykul?

In principle I agree, but we already know the humans of Kul Tiras originally came from Gilneas.

Could be that they interbred with some Vrykul who were already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Finally, here is a composite of the stock Kul Tiras male with a Vrykul beard. If this isn't enough to excite you as a Half-Vrykul allied race, I don't know what will.
    I mean, not being obese would be nice?

As someone who doesn't care for humans at all, has never once played one and can categorically say I never will, I want to play as a Vrykul. But i want to play it as is. The more human diluted they become the less interesting they are. That includes making them shorter, goes double for altering the culture and triple for the arbitrary pot belly.

Obviously this makes me very opposed to the kul'tiras humans for the same reasons there is such a loud vocal minority who don't like void elves. Specifically to Vrykul, why must we compromise when the genuine article is a perfectly reasonable ask? The Stormheim Vrykul just united under skovalds daughter and happen to have favourable relations with us. With High mountain and The Night borne going Horde why aren't they on the table? There is literally nothing unreasonable about playable ACTUAL Vrykul:

-They have both male and female models
    - BOTH models got modernised in Legion and are every bit as ready as the High mountain and Nightborne.
    - Tauren get around fine and Vrykul at that size would be plenty large without diminishing the fantasy too much.
    - Again, there is a large group right there, friendly and very relative to current content.

Don't settle for second best people. Shove the fat, mini giants, give us the actual article.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    They're not half-vrykul. They are human, which is descendant from Vrykul.

As a Vrykul advocate, you should know this. You can't be half of something you're already evolved from - Your dominant genes would prevent it's recessive genes from showing at all. A human-gorilla hybrid, while being completely impossible due to the evolved changes, if possible would just be a human. (Maybe with more hair.)

That said, I have no doubt that Kul'Tiras humans are going to be a sub race at some point in the future. There's no other reason to make a different human model.
    That's... not how evolution works. Things don't get "more evolved." They become better adapted. If a recessive gene provides some kind of advantage, or frankly, even if it doesn't, it is fully possible for it to be passed down. It's entirely possible to hybridize a dog with a wolf, for example, and the result is closer to wolf than dog.

This is moot, however, in a universe with a character who's 1/4 orc, 1/4 draenei and 1/2 human, the product of three different alien ecosystems, and is not a sterile, twisted abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyvefire View Post
    I want to play as a Vrykul
    Don't settle for second best people. Shove the fat, mini giants, give us the actual article.
    I am with you 100%. I'll sub until the end of time if Vrykul get put in as is (hopefully for Horde). But I've been barking up this tree for almost ten years and I'm a tired old man now. I'll take Half-Vrykul Kul Tirans over more elves.

Deleted
    Dude Vrykul would be sooo awesome! With some Vrykul themed gear... that would actually top an orc warrior.

So is Jaina half vrykul?

LOL nice one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post

Sounds like there'd be some awkward differences in equipment size between the two parties, there.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Sounds like there'd be some awkward differences in equipment size between the two parties, there.
    Well, in them olden times, humans were chosen as partners because they had the biggest dicks in comparison to other primates... Gorillas don't got bigger junk than humans, they're smaller, perhaps it's the same with vrykul? Who knows?

No, because we know that Kul Tiras is an ordinary human kingdom just like any other human kingdom we've seen. They're plain humans and have always been portrayed as such. They were not half-giants during the Second War, Warcraft III and throughout WoW, which is why they shouldn't become a half-giant race now either.

It would be a huge dump on the entire lore of Kul Tiras. You don't make things up about something that is already well-established in the lore.

Obviously Blizz is making up things as they go.. See the broken ISLES, which is actually single land mass with flourishing cultures. While in wc3 these were freshly resurfaced tropical isles with sea creatures living on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    ...in a universe with a character who's 1/4 orc, 1/4 draenei and 1/2 human, the product of three different alien ecosystems, and is not a sterile, twisted abomination.
    I'd disagree...

10+ Year Old Account
    So is Jaina half vrykul?
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    In principle I agree, but we already know the humans of Kul Tiras originally came from Gilneas.

In this scenario, maybe only the Kul'Tiras ruling elite (which Jaina is part from) originally came from Gilneas, Norman Conquest style.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    No, because we know that [Gilneas] is an ordinary human kingdom just like any other human kingdom we've seen. They're plain humans and have always been portrayed as such. They were not [Worgen] during the Second War, Warcraft III and throughout WoW, which is why they shouldn't become a [Worgen] race now either.

It would be a huge dump on the entire lore of [Gilneas]. You don't make things up about something that is already well-established in the lore.
    I modified your quote to make a point.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Filerust_Shaman_concept.jpg

The natives of Kul Tiras were the now extinct Drust, right? They could easily be/descended from Vrykul.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kindly read my post about my spoiler for Zandalari Civilization and Allied class. I bet you will see the connection with your post and mine as I have discussed recently major elements regarding Helya, Vrykuls,Zandalri Trolls and everything in between.

SPECULATIONS-Zandalari-Civilization-and-the-Horde-Allied-Race

I'd like to make a correction though and I beleive a beta/alpha tester might find proofs, it might not be the Human Kul'tirans that might be the missing link between Vrykul and Human but propably the mysterious and enigmatic Drust.

I modified your quote to make a point.
    They became Worgen lorewise and it was shown how they became Worgen. Their human form is still human, as is with any other known human kingdom's population, as opposed to the idea that all of Kul Tiras' inhabitants are all of a sudden half-giants when the lore continously shows that they never were.

That being said, a human becoming a worgen through established lore and senseful storytelling isn't the same as pulling half-giants out of the ass, pretending that Kul Tiras was always a kingdom full of half-giants.

How bad does OP want this?...It's his forum portrait.