Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Objective Standpoint

Development effort on it's own doesn't make an expansion good because the effort can result in an inferior product.

(
    And that's your right to feel. I recognize MoP as being extremely high value, it sure as hell didn't "result in an inferior product"...

I think MoP was the best expansion I'd ever experienced before Legion came out, and 5.2 still ranks at the top in my book of any patch content.

A "filler" expansion where we take on Queen Azshara, the key figure to pretty much every single "predicted" expansion we've had for the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    And that's your right to feel. I recognize MoP as being extremely high value, it sure as hell didn't "result in an inferior product"...

I think MoP was the best expansion I'd ever experienced before Legion came out, and 5.2 still ranks at the top in my book of any patch content.
    And that is your right to feel. My point still stands that putting effort into something in and of itself doesn't mean it's good.

I personally rank it towards the bottom of expansions due to how off from the rest of Wow the tone was and how horribly the Alliance vs Horde story was handled. The actual Pandaeia storylines were good.

Deleted
    I think it's quite the opposite of a filler! In Legion we basically fight the gods, which led many people to wonder how can we ever top that. BfA provides the answer: by taking on the godslayers themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by Therougetitan View Post
    BfA isn't even filler. We'll probably fight N'zoth by the end of it.
    Nah, they will use Azshara to link us to N'Zoth. Her death will likely be part of his unsealing.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think building up the world and ignoring the stupid space threats is much more needed. The void lords light lords or what ever are generic one note boggie men and is much rather they never be touched so we can focus on the WORLD. In world of Warcraft.

Deleted
    I'm kinda glad Azeroth doesn't face some new ultimate thread but just some political dispute. I think that kind of content could make WoW much more interesting - cunning secret missions or secret meetings to ensure peace, individual faction leaders having different opinions on some matter etc. So many possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Note: I am actually hyped for BFA, and its seems i didn't make that clear in my OP. My intentions of this post was to inform void is still happening, and this can be a good expansion especially since the whole wow team is practically new ever since legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    From an objective standpoint?

Development efforts put into it, pacing of content, features.

From a subjective standpoint?

Story, scenery, raiding, Challenge modes, world content, Isle of Thunder.

- - - Updated - - -

Correlation =/= causation.

WoD "turned out" as it did due to the lack of development put into it, shitty decisions all around, not because of people being hyped... Many of whom, were hyped simply due to WoD being about "not Pandas!!!"... I remember people saying the same thing about Legion whenever someone was hyped, and "look how that turned out".
    If anything, I don't imagine them ever wanting to turn around the positive upward trends from critical acclaim and revenue by giving us another WoD.
    Why not youll buy it anyway

What exactly classes an expansion as filler? Coz it doesn't have a big bad world destroying boss? Coz it lacks story? Coz it lacks features? I honestly don't know. Personally the few features they've announced for BfA like islands, warfronts and the continuation of M+ is enough features for me to give me things to play and as long as the story is good, I'll be happy. Frankly any expansion with good lore is good for me, whether it's a world destroying boss or an intricate story involving lots of smaller less threatening characters and personal conflicts.

Regardless, I've yet to see an expansion that was just "filler". Even WOD, while questionable in execution, wasn't just filler imo.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow is not a manga that runs an anime along with it, There is no such thing as a filler expansion for wow.

I disagree. The conflict between the Alliance and the Horde, and the stories of those zones it touches, are as much a part of Warcraft's plot as the Legion and the Void. To make it the immediate focus of an expansion does not make it filler.

What exactly is a "filler expansion" mean?

The hell is a filler expansion? Does every expansion have to be advertised as the valiant heroes battling the worst threat the universe has ever seen? Does that mean Vanilla was a filler MMO?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Filler is based on the content not the lack of boring arch villains.
    Then it absolutely isn't filler, as all the systems that exist in Legion appear to be coming with us plus a few more added.

It can ONLY be considered filler in terms of lore, but that remains to be seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    What exactly is a "filler expansion" mean?
    Its what casuals call and expansion that doesn't introduce 10 new things to the game like Legion did.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

This isn't an anime based on the manga!
    It's not based on something that already exists, yet has been made up to fill the gap between original source material, as if you're trying to prevent it from catching up.
    This expansion, like MoP ISN'T a filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I disagree that BFA is a "Filler" expansion.

No, it doesn't leap up into ever scaling heights of escalating power like it's a season of DBZ (Though looking at the forums we're definitely going to see months of pointless yelling before we get anywhere). But it does get back to the core Warcraft Story: Alliance Vs Horde.

Are the devs good at telling that story? It's definitely a point of contention... but it's where the story is 'supposed' to be.

And also I've got hopes it'll be good.
    It is a filler in terms of lore I'd say,to give us a break between wrestling with gods

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No such thing as a filler expansion. Every single one pushed the plot permanently foward.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    War in Warcraft isn't filler. This expansion is just pulling back a bit and taking care of our own shit since we've spent so much time focused on these large outside threats instead of the core of WoW which is the Alliance and Horde. As they said, we need to know what we are fighting for, what keeps us going, what the point even is. We are getting to learn more about our faction leaders and giving them more character development and getting stronger as factions which is something we haven't done a ton of in WoW. We just keep losing things. This expansion is about us gaining things such as the Horde bringing the Zandalari and other allied races in and the Alliance reuniting with Kul'Tiras and bringing in some allied races as well. I mean shit, The Alliance is finally trying to bring Stromgarde back. This expansion is about us. It's the least filler thing this game could do.

Not only that but this is just the first patch. We have no idea what the future of BFA is. Azshara certainly isn't "filler", Old Gods certainly aren't "filler". Filler is something that comes out of nowhere that was pulled out of their ass so they can keep everyone busy. WoD was filler because there was nothing pointing to that ever happening before and it really never made an impact on our world in the end for the most part other than the Legion but from what I understand the Legion never belonged to the AU, it's the same Legion for both worlds so we would have got around to them eventually. The only significant thing to happen in WoD is Garrosh died (but he was meant to be executed at the end of MoP either way) so if you erase WoD there wouldn't have been a big difference.

And for the record, MoP wasn't filler. It was just new lore (not even that new tbh). If you think new lore is filler then about 90% of WoW is filler. You have to create new things to keep the story going.

Going home isn't filler. It's just for the first time since Cata we aren't going to the threat. The threat is coming to us, whether that be ourselves as the enemy or an outside enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuze View Post
    Why not youll buy it anyway
    There would still be the frankly abyssmal downward rates and the lashback would be immense. Raiders didn't receive the short end of the stick with WoD, the vast majority that don't raid in organized manners, did.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-11-17 at 11:22 PM.