Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well Kim Jong Un is a guy right he isn’t guarded up 24/7. Married or not he needs a little time alone to pet the one eyes snake or frog in his case, maybe drop a cord.

Guards won’t be there the entire time. And since this tub holds his own ass above all why not force him to let the U.N in, then trade his weapons for food and medicine his people needs.

Then get some top negotiators to broker a deal between North and South?

I mean I heard he killed his own uncle, so somebody has to be waiting for the right moment.
    Well South Korea didn't waited to do that. That what they call the Sunshine politic. The idea is to try to develop North Korea economy and to bring the two countries closer, with the hope that at some point they will be close enough to merge peacefuly. But it is complicated as the Kim family as well as the people of its entourage knows very well that they have everything to lose in a reunification. Nowadays, South Korea is the second trade partner of North Korea (first one being of course China). And furthermore, there is so much to do that it could take centuries at this pace. Just to give you an idea, latest projections I could find speak of 500 Billions of dollars and 20 years of work to bring North Korea to the living standards of.... Cuba.

For the UN, the organization, as benevolent it could wish to be (because they aren't that much benevolent), it is dependant of what its members want, mainly the 5 permanents members of the Security Council. So, as you can guess, China (and also Russia) will never allow anything that could lead to the fall of Kim's family. They don't want American military bases on their borders. That would restrict their own freedom of action and place a direct threat on them.

Chinese aren't pleased by North Korea of course. They don't need that kind of turmoil in their frontyard, but they can't totaly shut him down or the country will crumble. So they keep up the good face and let things go their ways, while insuring everybody that they are concerned. That diplomacy for you. And you know what? With Trump, it is working very well. While he plays his little game of provocation with Kim, China gains a lot. They are overjoyed that he got out of the TTIP and that he is focusing on the big bad North Korea and gives them what they want to reinforce their influence in Asia.

And finally for the assasination plot, it is not about being able to do it. It is about having the idea to do it. People in North Korea would even think of that.

"North Korea is a very poor country and like any other poor country it has serious health problems," Andrei Lankov of Kookmin University told the BBC".

But interestingly enough they have enough money to threaten the world with nuclear haulocost.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Estherna View Post
    Well South Korea didn't waited to do that. That what they call the Sunshine politic. The idea is to try to develop North Korea economy and to bring the two countries closer, with the hope that at some point they will be close enough to merge peacefuly. But it is complicated as the Kim family as well as the people of its entourage knows very well that they have everything to lose in a reunification. Nowadays, South Korea is the second trade partner of North Korea (first one being of course China). And furthermore, there is so much to do that it could take centuries at this pace. Just to give you an idea, latest projections I could find speak of 500 Billions of dollars and 20 years of work to bring North Korea to the living standards of.... Cuba.

For the UN, the organization, as benevolent it could wish to be (because they aren't that much benevolent), it is dependant of what its members want, mainly the 5 permanents members of the Security Council. So, as you can guess, China (and also Russia) will never allow anything that could lead to the fall of Kim's family. They don't want American military bases on their borders. That would restrict their own freedom of action and place a direct threat on them.

Chinese aren't pleased by North Korea of course. They don't need that kind of turmoil in their frontyard, but they can't totaly shut him down or the country will crumble. So they keep up the good face and let things go their ways, while insuring everybody that they are concerned. That diplomacy for you. And you know what? With Trump, it is working very well. While he plays his little game of provocation with Kim, China gains a lot. They are overjoyed that he got out of the TTIP and that he is focusing on the big bad North Korea and gives them what they want to reinforce their influence in Asia.

And finally for the assasination plot, it is not about being able to do it. It is about having the idea to do it. People in North Korea would even think of that.
    Yeah I realize people live in ways I wouldn’t I’m ok if that’s their choice. This shit is sad because they don’t seem to have a choice it’s robbed from them. What makes it worse are reports like this. This seems like slavery.

You’re I’m sure right about what you said but this has to be brutal for the NK people.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah I realize people live in ways I wouldn’t I’m ok if that’s their choice. This shit is sad because they don’t seem to have a choice it’s robbed from them. What makes it worse are reports like this. This seems like slavery.

You’re I’m sure right about what you said but this has to be brutal for the NK people.
    It is not for nothing that North Korea is deemed as one of the most if not the most brutal dictatorship of our times. Indeed, people in North Korea don't have the choice because they simply don't know better. But honestly, the hope for this to improve in a near future is dim. The best way would be that the country open up and that real and profesionnal aid could go there and work, without too much meddling from the government. Which is totally unlikely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Estherna View Post
    It is not for nothing that North Korea is deemed as one of the most if not the most brutal dictatorship of our times. Indeed, people in North Korea don't have the choice because they simply don't know better. But honestly, the hope for this to improve in a near future is dim. The best way would be that the country open up and that real and profesionnal aid could go there and work, without too much meddling from the government. Which is totally unlikely.
    That shit sounds soul crushing and a nightmare.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Can't have any mixing now can we?
    It would cost too much,severely reduce the quality of life and the process would have a good chance of ruining (South) Korea's economy which would have consequences for the whole region. There is people chanting "no human is illegal / away with boarders" and then there is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Oh it's feasible. The question is, when is risking your life to fight the Kims better than dying of starvation and parasites? Probably very soon.
    No, it's not feasible with reunion. They're so far behind us socially and economically that we'd be fucking ourselves over if we do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    No, it's not feasible with reunion. They're so far behind us socially and economically that we'd be fucking ourselves over if we do that.
    Indeed.

Outside of reuniting some families, there is almost no incentive for SK to want to reunite

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    You're kidding, right? North Korea would be a much better country to live in had the ruling elite actually cared about developing the country to benefit everyone, instead of lining their own pockets. Instead, they have, at every turn, defied the international community and abused their own citizenry, all the while indoctrinating said citizenry into thinking that the Kim Jong family are like Gods.
    If north korea wasn't under constant attack they wouldn't need to have a regime like that.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    "North Korea is a very poor country and like any other poor country it has serious health problems," Andrei Lankov of Kookmin University told the BBC".

But interestingly enough they have enough money to threaten the world with nuclear haulocost.
    Just because one dude has all the money and is building bombs with it doesn't mean the country is "rich".

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Just because one dude has all the money and is building bombs with it doesn't mean the country is "rich".
    right ......................

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    If north korea wasn't under constant attack they wouldn't need to have a regime like that.
    You're trolling, but I'll bite. North Korea attacked Seoul. It's what kicked off the whole Korean war. They started it. In the past 50 years, they could have finished it any time they wanted to. All they had to do was agree to peace. They have consistently refused to sit at the table and agree to anything that would end the war. Because they haven't gotten what they really want. They want to conquer the entire country. The only reason they haven't opened fire again is because they know that the USA will bomb them into oblivion, and they have too much to lose now.

And they aren't under constant attack. If they were, there would be a lot more casualties.

right ......................
    I'm sorry you don't understand how things work. But stop inflating your post count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    You aren't wrong, but if there's a market for cheap labor, and there always is, then South Korea may see a benefit from having merged with North Korea. Of course the people of South Korea would not benefit from this at all. But then again, what's the humane thing to do?

Also, left to themselves the North Koreans would only elect another more dangerous leader, because deprived and starving people almost always do. South Koreans should be so lucky, cause so far the Kims are laughably incompetent. Someone will take their place, someone more ambitious and willing to blame South Korea and the west for their terrible situation. If someone were more organized and open, then the North Koreans could pose a very dangerous threat.

Either way it's not something a South Korean can ignore and expect to leave unscathed. Leave it alone and someone will take Kims place who's smarter and more dangerous. A person that could lead North Korea to war likely with South Korea. Get involved and get a bunch of ass backwards people who at worst cause crime and violence in the streets and take away your jobs. It's your choice how you want to be fucking yourselves over.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I'm sorry you don't understand how things work. But stop inflating your post count.
    you are laughable

Deleted
    e enough money to threaten the world with nuclear haulocost.
    Nuclear wepons are the ultimate equalizer, the the dictatorship needs it to keep its power. Think of it... the Nord Korean army would give up in mass in a conflict then they realise that POW get 3 meals every day....

This is the horror south korea and it's allies have inflicted on the north with sanctions.
    Sunshine, lemme explain a small fact to you.

These sanctions are in place because the North Koreans are still at war, have never not been at war, think the Korean war isnt over, and tell their people the US started the war. Which of course is a lie.

lot of them actually ended up believing that the Kim Jong family are actually gods
    All of them from cradle to grave.

I look forward to the day when we see Lil' Kims mangled body being strung up in Pyongyang and his long suffering people reunited with there South Koreans Brothers and Sisters.
    Barring an act of God this will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatAgain666 View Post
    I look forward to the day when we see Lil' Kims mangled body being strung up in Pyongyang and his long suffering people reunited with there South Koreans Brothers and Sisters.
    Yeah, not going to happen. Just like Korean-Americans are like a fish out of water in Korea, the ROK and DPRK have also grown into two very different groups of people.

I want peace, but I think reunification would be a very bad idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    You are a funny guy.

But if you are serious, you are wrong. No one wants anything from the DPRK other than for them to give up the nukes and to back the fuck off.

The only reason why the regime is still there is to preserve the Kim family legacy. Look at the way the fat man acts and treats his people. It is obvious that deep down inside, he is far more afraid of them than he is of the USA. He knows, that if his people ever get an ounce of power and the will to stand up to him, he is fucked. He may be an asshole, but he is far from stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Nuclear wepons are the ultimate equalizer, the the dictatorship needs it to keep its power. Think of it... the Nord Korean army would give up in mass in a conflict then they realise that POW get 3 meals every day....
    lol. I like your thinking, but it would be silly to think the craziness and backwards thinking over there end at the top. at the end of the day it takes more than a crazy man at the top. it takes all the insane people under him keeping him there.

in response to another poster I took a moment to actually do a little research.

North Korea's total defense spending is believed to be around $10 billion a year, or somewhere between a fifth to a quarter of its gross domestic product (about $30 billion to $40 billion).

that is a lot of cheesburgers.