Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exilian View Post
    But the thing is we ARE getting an archvillain, Azshara, but she'll be the first archvillain that gets killed in a patch in a random xpac not about her
    It's alright - Kel'thuzad, C'Thun and Ragnaros were also powerful beings conducting all sorts of villain-things and we "had to" get rid of them. But back then it wasn't just thrown at us as if it was the main purpose of everything, they were just powerful creatures inside huge instances for many people. The main focus was the world and the biggest villain for huge majority of people - were members of the opposite faction. Whether it was in organized WPVP, BGs or just gankers, most of the time you fought the opposite faction.

So to repeat myself, I am glad that there is no dark god threatening the safety of our world and making us be one faction once again where it doesn't matter whether you're Alliance or Horde. I want us to explore the world and do PvE and PvP content like we used to. Sure, they could pull N'Zoth on us or something at the end, but again - we had that type of villain as early as vanilla. Not exactly anything like Legion (Burning Legion) or WoD (Iron Horde).
    Burn it. BURN IT!

here is wow's dirty little secret: vanilla's core story was never about faction conflict. there were almost no pve questlines where you actually attacked the other side, in fact on the alliance side there may have actually been none. even in ashenvale you were just running around talking to furbolgs.

world pvp and battlegrounds are big memories mostly because it was how people participated in their server communities which are long gone now thanks to crossrealm. in the current timeline pvp participation is lower than it has ever been, world pvp is dead and looks like it will be finally snuffed out altogether in bfa.

faction conflict might be the worst theme they could have gone with besides more orcs again. if you thought orc fatigue got bad stick around to see how we feel after a year of bfa.

The notion of a "filler expansion" is one of the more idiotic things this forum has spawned and people should be spanked for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Wrong. They wanted the players to meet old characters that existed before world of warcraft and even warcraft 3 were released. That also gave them the opportunity to recreate outland before the shattering.
    And what impact did any of what you just mentioned have on the over arching story they are telling? What allies did we bring from Draenor? Weapons? resources? No one from Draenor is mentioned after the fact in anyway, except Guldan. He is the one thing that was brought back from Draenor. Therefore he was the ultimate reason went there, in fact he was the power source for the dark portal.

I don't think you know what filler actually is.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

When people call an expansion filler, what they really mean is that there is no new class or race. Allied races don't count.

"We're going to fight Azhara before the expansion is over." - Blizzard
    "Filler content." - MMO forum.
    Figures.

10+ Year Old Account
    calls BFA filler expansion
    boss in second raid is azshara

??????

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Except its not a filler; did you watch the panel at all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether an expansion is a filler expansion or not depends on one's own perception of what "filler" means. For some, every expansion after Wrath has been a filler expansion. Whether you call it or that or not doesn't matter. The proof is in the content and execution.

Mists was called a filler expansion and worse when it was first revealed. And yet, many think it was fine as an expansion.

It's a dumb argument over an even dumber word.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    Yes, it is a filler expansion
    no, it is not a filler expansion
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    -The vestiges of the Kul Tirasian Sea Priests, Queen Azshara's direct involvement, and Old God experimentation in Uldir all seem to point towards N'Zoth being involved.
    What is dead may never die quotes anyone?

Deleted
    Perhaps pople saying BfA is a filler expansion should look up what filler means.

A filler episode in for example a tv-series is an episode that doesn't progress the story. As soon as there is a single case of character development or anything happens to the universe build, you don't have a filler episode. Doesn't mean it can't be a shit episode of course, but it still continues the story and thus isn't filler.

For example if game of thrones does an episode that breaks the 4th wall where the characters realise they are in a fantasy universe written by Gearge RR martin and the next episode there is no mention of any of this. This would be a filler episode. Nothing has happened at all and might as well not have happened, hance filler.

BfA isn't filler because as soon as any progress happens with Anduin, Sylvanas, Vol'jin, Genn, Jaina, Thrall, The factions or just "Azeroth", you have story progression and it's not a filler anymore. And we already know things are going to happen, like the Zandalari joining the Horde, which progresses already various stories.

Quote Originally Posted by oland138 View Post
    When people call an expansion filler, what they really mean is that there is no new class or race. Allied races don't count.
    Not really. When people call an expansion filler they think the expansion won't really go anywhere and is done on the cheap by skipping out on things(I guess your classes/races could go here) or overutilizing systems whose only point is to give the illusion that there is more content than actually is (procedural generation is often used for such things in other games). It's there to keep a bare minimum of gameplay going while the dev team either recuperates or works on something better for the next one.

WoD is considered filler because nothing happened in it outside of the raid dev team being busy for 2 years, the only thing that carried over was getting Gul'dan all the other stories that were told are inconsequential and to be forgotten. Outside of raids the game was abandoned and all content was done by cutting corners and relying on a system that no one liked to begin with. All of this culminated at a joke at this years blizzcon by showing an orc on a DeLorean, which they imho hadn't earned at all.

In my opinion, BFA definitely looks like MOP 2.0 and MOP was obviously filler xpack. No good selling points in this xpack, except new content to keep players subbed - is definition of filler xpack. I.e. filler xpack - is xpack, that could just be content patch. Looks like Blizzard just can't make two "good" xpack in a row (while Legion isn't filler xpack - it's definitely isn't good).

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I disagree that BFA is a "Filler" expansion.

No, it doesn't leap up into ever scaling heights of escalating power like it's a season of DBZ (Though looking at the forums we're definitely going to see months of pointless yelling before we get anywhere). But it does get back to the core Warcraft Story: Alliance Vs Horde.

Are the devs good at telling that story? It's definitely a point of contention... but it's where the story is 'supposed' to be.

And also I've got hopes it'll be good.
    that for you, for me that story had already been told to much time and is always a boring one, alliance vs horde is so old that i don't understand why blizzard keep bringing it back; we got it already alliance and horde will always exist, neither could have a definitive victory so go back to cold war time like vanilla and stop bothering.

It's not better to start creating new antagonists beside the historic one? the universe is big and there are thing that have never been touched.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

How do you know this is a filler expansion lol. Do you follow the lore/story AT ALL ? We already know the 2nd raid will be Azshara. Do you really think after Azshara and with Azeroth being still impaled, nothing dark will come out some way or the other and fuck us and we will have to kill it ? LOL at you boi

wtf do people mean by a ' filler expansion'? It's just total nonsense.

Just because you're self-entitled and wanted something else does not make an expansion 'filler'

People called MoP filler at the time and now it's raved as one of the best expansions ever.

Also...you've seen a few pictures and have been able to make a full conclusion about the story of BfA?

Quote Originally Posted by Karry View Post
    How do you know this is a filler expansion lol. Do you follow the lore/story AT ALL ? We already know the 2nd raid will be Azshara. Do you really think after Azshara and with Azeroth being still impaled, nothing dark will come out some way or the other and fuck us and we will have to kill it ? LOL at you boi
    so why blizzard made alliance vs horde the main theme? If azshara and n'zoth have a big role why didn't the xpack is named after them and we fight them directly? Why most of the features first of all warfront are mainly dedicated to alliance vs horde?

Azshara and N'zoth role is the same as what was Yogg, C'thun, Mogu king etc. just a sidestory.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not really. When people call an expansion filler they think the expansion won't really go anywhere and is done on the cheap by skipping out on things(I guess your classes/races could go here) or overutilizing systems whose only point is to give the illusion that there is more content than actually is (procedural generation is often used for such things in other games). It's there to keep a bare minimum of gameplay going while the dev team either recuperates or works on something better for the next one.

WoD is considered filler because nothing happened in it outside of the raid dev team being busy for 2 years, the only thing that carried over was getting Gul'dan all the other stories that were told are inconsequential and to be forgotten. Outside of raids the game was abandoned and all content was done by cutting corners and relying on a system that no one liked to begin with. All of this culminated at a joke at this years blizzcon by showing an orc on a DeLorean, which they imho hadn't earned at all.
    So you think BfA is going to be abandoned just like WoD? Okay.