Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    The discussion going on here is a clear example of why the people screaming "NOCHANGES" are detrimental to these realms.

What you are NOT getting with Classic is a time machine. You are still going to be playing the game in 2018 and onward. Things have changed about gaming and computers since then, and as such so will the player experience.

I wish some one could take a poll about how many people use the addon Questie, because its got so many fucking downloads that I swear it must be everyone.
    Whenever you watch a streamer or see screenshots, you see people with complete UI overhauls, and all kinds of addons tracking dots, buffs, and debuffs.

These things didn't exist in 2005 and they dramatically change the game.

The fact that people develop them for Classic tells you all you need to know. Some people DO WANT CHANGES. Otherwise these addons wouldn't be being used or developed. But there are changes that make sense to the base game, and actually make the game BETTER.

Now, I am totally for breaking some addons. There aren't any that I'm aware of that make the game too crazy, but I do worry about the potential of addons like Weak Auras getting into Classic and out of control. There is already a modified Power Aura that was made for private servers and it works some what the same way that Weak Auras works today but its not nearly as adventurous.

I'm making an assumption, but I would expect once this game is mainstream, addons are going to explode in terms of power and development.

When that happens, they might as well have changed things, because its going to be an entirely different playing experience for people who choose to use them.
    I’m ok with any add on that ends at the users PC .. My worry is addons that Adress the inconveniences and and social aspect of WoWv that would then be spread wide and allianate those who choose not to use them.

There were plenty of addons in Vanilla WoW.

I dont think addons will ruin it, unless you have a fetish for the original UI.

Maybe stuff like grid will help.

What, you wanna ban better addons? ...do you also want to ban access to sites like wowhead and such because it has better information now?

The Purism is reaching critical mass...

It's not about AddOns at all, its about old lua vs new restricted lua.

But with that in mind, there was some functions available in the old lua, which was very exploitable.
    Those would be exploited even more heavily today, so disabling those functions make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibylline View Post
    I hope they restrict all addons so everyone's on the same playing field and you don't have to get 999999999 addons just because you're gimping yourself otherwise.
    "hurrr I need to download a million addons to be successful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

spoken like someone who has never played vanilla

After playing various vanilla servers for 3 years, this is my addon list (excluding library addons like Ace or Stubby)

-BugGrabber / Bugsack
    -OmniCC
    -Questie
    -LazyPig
    -Atlas
    -Aux
    -Bagnon
    -Bartender
    -BigWigs
    -BonusScanner
    -Cartographer
    -Decursive
    -eCastingBar
    -ExtendedQuestLog
    -FuBar
    -Gatherer
    -KLHThreatMeter
    -LunaUnitFrames
    -MacroLib
    -SuperMacro
    -MoveAnything
    -Postal
    -PowerAuras
    -Prat
    -SuperIgnore
    -TomTom
    -Xloot

27 addons.

And a lot of these are just visual things, not really anything that impacts gameplay. So if we remove optional visual things, we're left with:

-Questie
    -LazyPig
    -Aux
    -Bartender
    -BigWigs
    -Decursive
    -eCastingBar
    -KLHThreatMeter
    -LunaUnitFrames
    -MacroLib
    -SuperMacro
    -Postal
    -PowerAuras

A whopping...13 addons.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2017-11-19 at 08:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    There are Vanilla Add-On Bundles, some private Servers got them for download but we will have to check out which client version we will get.
    Please do not discuss private servers. At some point the warnings will stop.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    There were plenty of addons in Vanilla WoW.
    Yeah, like, check out that recent video posted of a whole bunch of retail vanilla videos, stuff from 2006...the guy had so many addons running.

I really don't understand where this "omg addons are not vanilla!!!!" sentiment comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Wouldn't a flurry of add ons meant to address the inconveniences actually go against a 'real' Vanilla experience?

While I realize as a player I can always choose NOT to use said add on, but could developers come up with a Vanilla bundle that has ONLY add ons that actually existed back then?
    i remember having an addon for auto-loot, not AoE loot but single auto loot

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "hurrr I need to download a million addons to be successful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

spoken like someone who has never played vanilla

After playing various vanilla servers for 3 years, this is my addon list (excluding library addons like Ace or Stubby)

-BugGrabber / Bugsack
    -OmniCC
    -Questie
    -LazyPig
    -Atlas
    -Bagnon
    -Bartender
    -BigWigs
    -BonusScanner
    -Cartographer
    -Decursive
    -eCastingBar
    -ExtendedQuestLog
    -FuBar
    -Gatherer
    -KLHThreatMeter
    -LunaUnitFrames
    -MoveAnything
    -Postal
    -PowerAuras
    -Prat
    -TomTom
    -Xloot
    More or less that + auctioneer/LazyWarrior/Lazyrogue

Addons during classic did way more for you than they do now. They could target and remove debuffs with just one key spam. They could pick and choose how to down rank healing spells. Some of them even could damn near do your rotation for you with the aid of a few macros. Over all vanilla was way more addon friendly than todays game is.

I would rather not having basiclly rotaion bot addons for obvious reasons. But over all I would just keep it the same. If those ended up staying in oh well. Keeping up slice and dice and spamming SS was all the rotation was anyway for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Please do not discuss private servers. At some point the warnings will stop.
    Well I understand why many have difficulties following this bloody rule when the whole Classic thing is very tied to the private servers and even Blizzard blues openly mention them in their posts on the official forums.
    I understand why that rule exists, keeping discussions away from illegal servers is a noble goal, but I'm not sure applying it constantly here helps to reach that objective. The subject of the discussion is still focused on Classic. IMO being to strict with that impedes valid conversation about Classic, not conversations about private servers.
    ----

I think automatic addons were already disabled by the end of Vanilla. I don't remember any name of such automatic addon anyway, what were they called ?
    I wonder if some modern addons would trivialize more Classic content. Don't have specific example in mind but I say we'd be more likely to get the modern API anyway.
    Last edited by Koward; 2017-11-19 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koward View Post
    Well I understand why many have difficulties following this bloody rule when the whole Classic thing is very tied to the private servers and even Blizzard blues openly mention them in their posts on the official forums.
    I'll be very clear then. Every topic I've posted a warning into is 100% discussable without referring to private/illegal servers. Including the scope and effect of add-ons to Classic WoW. Now that Classic WoW is an official announced project there isn't any need to discuss illegal servers at all. We're discussing what should/shouldn't be on Blizzard's version of the game. What Blizzard does with their forums is not particularly the problem. If Blizzard wants to allow discussion of illegal servers on their forum then that's where they should be discussed. It's against the rules here and generally unnecessary.

Anyone can send me a private message to explain how some topic must cannot be discussed without some reference to illegal servers and we'll talk about it. We do not want to do that discussion in public threads.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    A 'real' Vanilla experience is impossible to have unless we actually time travel back to 04.

Vanilla purists are close to having their heads explode.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    A 'real' Vanilla experience is impossible to have unless we actually time travel back to 04.
    And redoing something isn't the same as doing it for the first time - so we also need to remove our previous memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Vanilla purists are close to having their heads explode.
    Well, that is one way of removing memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    auctioneer
    Aux is the best auction addon at the moment. Just works much more smoothly than Auctioneer or Auctionator.

if it will destroy vanilla ? it might, currently there is no money or popular intrest in vanilla, when official vanilla server runs, there will be massive spike of intrest, that may push some creative people to develop addons for it, addons like group finder, or range checks, or markers those qol thing will make raiding signifficantly easier, and considering that vanilla raids are already very easy, it might break whole end-game (that consisted almost only of raiding)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoga View Post
    Yea I really wanna spend hours on thottbot trying to figure out where one obscure hidden item is. Everyone that knew anything about the game in vanilla had addons, in particular healbot was a must, if you weren't using it you didn't raid. People will realize very early on how poorly optimized the game was, healing was literally impossible if you weren't using different ranks.
    I leveled 1-60 atleast 6 times as alliance and 2 times as horde pre-cata, i could answer almost any question of vanilla off by heart.

Deleted
    I honestly dont see many new addons being made for vanilla.

Things like Questie might get an update so its new and shiny, but it'l do the same thing.

I dont see any point in Weakauras or Powerauras in vanilla. Grid- LIKE - addons existed in vanilla.

If you want to talk about broken then there's decursive but wouldnt disabling it be ->>>"NOT VANILLA HERP DERP"<<<- ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Good..for you..?

A good example of this is the premade group finder. Regardless of which version of the API they choose to go with an addon that looks and feels exactly like the premade group finder can and probably will get made. Even though people say they love spamming trade for hours waiting for someone to whisper a reply to them the convenience and the "fire and forget" nature of that addon would most likely make it spread across all the servers and become the norm. If you were to be stubborn and still use trade to build your groups you would find that it would be very inefficient, taking 20 times longer than it used to.

The question is then, what should Blizzard do? If they know that such an addon can be made and what the effects will be, do they ship the game with their own version so that nobody is left out? They can't prevent the addon from being made, do they release a "Blizzard quality" addon right from the start and put it up on curse so we get to decide for ourselves?
    They shouldnt do anything.

The people who want the pure experience wont use the addon. If there isnt enough of them to form groups in ameaningfull timeframe its to bad tbh. There where dead servers in vanilla aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Good..for you..?
    Was i talking to you?