Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    Deleted

Is Veganism really a healthy lifestyle?

First things first this isn't a thread to bash Veganism nor preach it! I don't want people insulting each other over lifestyle choices, the thread is to discuss Veganism in a civil manner...

So we know a number of people become Vegan for ethical reasons BUT is it really better for your health than Vegetarianism and Meat-Eating?

10+ Year Old Account
    Got to watch your vitamin levels, D & B12 especially. Also a lot of vegan options are really high in fat (oil) and salt.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

No. /10char.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's a great way to get nutritional deficiencies and give your unborn children neurological disorders, though.

eh no.. we're carnivores.. simple as that... feed a lion tofu and see how that goes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    eh no.. we're carnivores.. simple as that... feed a lion tofu and see how that goes!
    We're not carnivores. We're omnivores.

Recall them needing supplements if they don't eat proper... so generally speaking, can't imagine it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawon View Post
    Technically we're omnivores

No. Vegetarianism is. though.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    First things first this isn't a thread to bash Veganism nor preach it! I don't want people insulting each other over lifestyle choices, the thread is to discuss Veganism in a civil manner...

So we know a number of people become Vegan for ethical reasons BUT is it really better for your health than Vegetarianism and Meat-Eating?
    If anyone knew what was healthy for everyone, they would be a billionaire. Which billionaire is the one that has answered this for everyone?

It has it's issues but is probably healthier than the average fast food diet.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    No. Vegetarianism is. though.
    Pescetarianism is better. But there's really no need to distinguish a diet on the basis of avoiding meat. You can eat a terrible vegetarian or vegan diet - just eat oreos all the time and you'll be good to go. A better way to define a diet would be by the consumption of whole, unprocessed foods in moderate quantities. It's hard to go wrong with those two principles.

Technically we're omnivores
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardue'sai'Malloc
    A human once tried to tell me that humans were carnivores. I did not laugh at him, despite his molars and his pitiful two pair of blunted incisors, and a digestive tract so long that the flesh he ate rotted before it came out the other end. With a body designed like that, I'd take up leaf eating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    If anyone knew what was healthy for everyone, they would be a billionaire. Which billionaire is the one that has answered this for everyone?
    Well a healthy diet and lifestyle isn't exactly a mystery

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    I don't think such a diet exists. There will always be someone who is allergic to something, or who cannot metabolize certain macronutrients as effectively as others.

Well a healthy diet and lifestyle isn't exactly a mystery
    Then why ask if a diet is healthy or not if you already know the answer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Not an accurate rebuttal. Meat does not rot in the digestive tracts of humans. Of course, it's also not true that humans are carnivores.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Got to watch your vitamin levels, D & B12 especially. Also a lot of vegan options are really high in fat (oil) and salt.
    There's some amino acids and stuff you need to watch for, too, IIRC.

It's a case of "you can be healthy on a vegan diet" but that's true of any diet. It isn't innately healthy just by dint of being vegan, and needs some careful management to avoid some real health risks.

A decent, lean omnivorous diet is going to be "healthier" than a vegan one, just in that it doesn't need the same level of micromanagement for basic nutrients.

For me definitely not - I'm intolerant or allergic to too many of the substitutes.
    For anyone under 21 - absolutely not.

As you get older, and you don't have any other issues - then it does become very healthy indeed.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Not an accurate rebuttal. Meat does not rot in the digestive tracts of humans. Of course, it's also not true that humans are carnivores.
    That's what a tree munchie would say.