Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    Basically like the monk in Heroes of the Storm I guess?
    I doubt we'll ever see a ranged tank - How would that work with melee mobs running to the target?
    Probably by placing decoys or robots to take the heat. The other tank option that hasn't been mentioned is a vehicle based one. No spec currently fights while riding something. This would be the perfect class for that, using an actual tank to tank.

The pet-based healer spec is also wide open.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Probably by placing decoys or robots to take the heat. The other tank option that hasn't been mentioned is a vehicle based one. No spec currently fights while riding something. This would be the perfect class for that, using an actual tank to tank.

The pet-based healer spec is also wide open.
    Sounds absurdly broken for anything that deals a massive one-hit. Just put a target dummy down and tada.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    Sounds absurdly broken for anything that deals a massive one-hit. Just put a target dummy down and tada.
    Depends on the limits placed on the dummies. To give the healers something to do, a tank like this would very likely share a health pool with the decoy(s). The decoy would have a tank's mitigation and the caster himself would be squishy, probably with a kit revolving around kiting in case they screw up and get the decoy killed.

This is all a thought experiment, mind. I would much prefer a class like this to ride a vehicle to tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Depends on the limits placed on the dummies. To give the healers something to do, a tank like this would very likely share a health pool with the decoy(s). The decoy would have a tank's mitigation and the caster himself would be squishy, probably with a kit revolving around kiting in case they screw up and get the decoy killed.

This is all a thought experiment, mind. I would much prefer a class like this to ride a vehicle to tank.
    Yeah, I had suggested that before, like a stationary barrier that emits threat and absorbs damage, yet also causes feedback to the player, damaging them. As you said, the actual player character would be squishy, but be able to tank from range.

Such a concept would work well with a tech-based class like the Tinkerer.

The only class I can think that would be different enough to add would be something like a bard, or some kind of support class. A class whose dps comes from buffing party member's dps, or whose hps comes from damage mitigation through debuffing a boss.

Many other class ideas could be placed into a 4th spec for other classes.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people so goddamn obsessed with tinkers? It is the dumbest idea ever
    Faith Alone is Not Enough to Stop all the Enemies of the Light!
    - Retribution Paladin since 2007.

Burning Blade EU

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Jesus christ, I just agreed with Jaylock. I need to go and have a shower.

How can people not see how a tinkerer would work? Have you even done SoO? Mines with lasers that follow you, bombs with red timer thing on it, gadgets galore, get in a robot to tank etc... So many ways to make it work, use your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Darchow View Post
    Why are people so goddamn obsessed with tinkers? It is the dumbest idea ever
    It's an idea that's already in the game. The only difference is that it would be available for players.

A Tinker doesn't even sound interesting.

Two actually. Dragonsworn and Tinker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    such as what?? I mean UH currently raises the dead to fight for them already. Using dark (shadow) magic. Unless you wanna gut UH specc and some affli (possibly demo) to make new ranged necromancer to work. Otherwise, it wont be that big of a difference.
    How many classes use the light in some form or another? How many agile, dual-wielding melee classes do we have? Stealthed bleed classes? etc.

By the way:

Aspects of the Scourge that Death Knights Haven't Touched:
    -Ghosts/Spectres
    -Plague Mushrooms/Necrotic Fungi
    -Plague Cauldrons
    -Gas/Blight (Putricide)
    -Vermin (Rats, etc.)
    -Poison
    -Spiders (Both Maexxna and Nerubians)
    -Reanimating things multiple times (ie, Black Knight)
    -Liches (inb4 "but 'Lichborne's' naaame!")
    etc.

Aspects of the Scourge that were Touched on by Death Knights but Have Been Cut:
    -Insects/Locusts
    -Sacrificing Minions to Heal
    -Utilization of Blighted Ground
    -Corpse Explosion (inb4 "muh Legion cosmetic")
    -Self-reanimation
    etc.

Aspects of the Scourge that are Currently Touched on by Death Knights but Underutilized:
    -Plague/Disease (Unholy went from 7 DoTs to 1)
    -Bones (There's what? One defensive blood passive now, and one offensive talent?)
    -Mass Necromancy (Unholy has AotD, but no interaction)
    -Slime (Unholy currently has a single PvP Talent which draws from this)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiradyn View Post
    Goes beyond them using the same type of magic, they actually do the same thing.

It doesn't help that Blizzard themselves stated that they used the Necromancer hero concept to develop the Death Knight, and then in turn used the Death Knight concept to create their Necromancer concept in D3.
    And the entire Demon Hunter kit was given away prior to their introduction, too. Given the amount of ground not covered by DKs or Warlocks, adding Necromancers would be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    And the entire Demon Hunter kit was given away prior to their introduction, too.
    There's a difference between Warlocks getting a DH spell 2 expansions after their introduction, and the entire Necromancer concept being incorporated into the DK design from the beginning.

Puppymancer? Seems a good fit for the inevitable Corgis Unleashed expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between Warlocks getting a DH spell 2 expansions after their introduction, and the entire Necromancer concept being incorporated into the DK design from the beginning.
    Evasion and Mana Burn were in from day 1 IIRC. With regard to Necromancers and DKs, there are a couple of things to note. The most important is that even the original iteration of DKs left a lot of territory in mechanics and Scourge-based themes completely untouched, Necromancers could capitalize on all of that. Since their introduction in Wrath, DKs have been trimmed significantly. There are a number of things that Death Knights barely used to do, that they simply don't anymore. Why leave these things rotting on the cutting room floor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbenchpress View Post
    A ranged tank would only work if they never designed a boss with a cleaving mechanic, front cone, beam or proximity mechanic ever again.
    well there was Krosh...

Trickester
    Any sort of Blood using caster ( blood mage)
    Any sort of melee cloth magic weapon user (battle mage )
    Witch doctor

I think there's a design space where you could make a Necromancer caster and not have it be too similar... to the Unholy DK. The problem is, it would basically just be a Warlock and you could implement it with little more than a glyph that changes the look of their pets.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    Evasion and Mana Burn were in from day 1 IIRC.
    Yeah, but the actual concept of the Demon Hunter was never incorporated into those classes. Those classes just housed a few of its spells. So while Rogues had evasion, they were never going to transform into demons or surround themselves with fire. Same deal with Priests.

Blizzard has actually stated that when they created the DK class, they incorporated the Necromancer into it. That's pretty much the end of the story.

With regard to Necromancers and DKs, there are a couple of things to note. The most important is that even the original iteration of DKs left a lot of territory in mechanics and Scourge-based themes completely untouched, Necromancers could capitalize on all of that. Since their introduction in Wrath, DKs have been trimmed significantly. There are a number of things that Death Knights barely used to do, that they simply don't anymore. Why leave these things rotting on the cutting room floor?
    More than likely for class balance and spec differentiation. Nothing stops Blizzard from bringing those concepts back in future expansions if the class needs it. As it stands, it would appear that Unholy is the spec focusing on undead minions and other Necromancer stuff. It would be pretty redundant to try to carve an entirely different class when we have one class utilizing the theme (DKs), and another class utilizing the function (Demo Warlocks).

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No, you had a melee dps who could heal (in effect).
    I mean literally a melee healer (the original fantasy healer) that attacks the tank to heal the tank etc. The melee healer has no concept of mana.
    That literally sounds like you just made shit up to not admit he basically called you out by saying Fistweaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumineus View Post
    I think there's a design space where you could make a Necromancer caster and not have it be too similar... to the Unholy DK. The problem is, it would basically just be a Warlock and you could implement it with little more than a glyph that changes the look of their pets.
    Well that's what I'm saying; The reason there isn't a Necromancer caster is because it would be redundant thanks to Warlocks which fill their niche as a dark minion summoning caster. DKs allow a Necromancer to exist in the class lineup and not clash directly with the Warlock class.