Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    why do people want to tarnish vanilla? if you want X Y Z that is present in retail then play retail, people want vanilla/classic as it was and its because they enjoyed the majority if not all of those aspects.

my only concern is *how* they do it, in terms of where the game starts. im hoping it starts from the very beginning and then reintroducing the patches as they once did, much like in retail the new patches e.g naxx could serve as 'fresh content' to work towards again

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Because having some changes made to the game that don't ruin the system for me personally isn't a bad thing?
    Classic will be classic due to the community that is on the server not because you need to pvp 20 hours a day for weeks/months to get a title.

- - - Updated - - -

You just admitted you are trolling which is against forum rules.
    Semantics. I shoot down bad suggestions in a humourous manner which by some may be seen as trollish. I guess the difference is slim.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Rogue duels general boiled down to who gets the first Sap.

There were no breaks on the stunlock train, unless you were a paladin, or an Orc with a lucky Hardiness proc.
    Yeah and as a High Warlord he should've gotten the first Sap. Dude was a sham.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    Yeah and as a High Warlord he should've gotten the first Sap. Dude was a sham.
    Unless one of you was human, it was practically a dice roll as to who's client made that stealth detect noise first.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

5+ Year Old Account

There were no breaks on the stunlock train, unless you were a paladin, or an Orc with a lucky Hardiness proc.
    Or pre-pop FAPs if you are tryhard enough.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Or pre-pop FAPs if you are tryhard enough.
    OR if you were a class with a pvp trinket that broke stun. I remember that being the case for warriors hunters and shamans at the very least..but very few actually used the pvp trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    I'm a Grand Marshal in the old system.

All the people saying it was only a matter of account sharing clearly didn't play the grind. My realm at the time was Korgath-US, a high population realm that had many cutting edge guilds at the time of Naxx (Drama, Death and Taxes). This is relevant because the grind was relative to everyone's else Honor gained in that specific realm.

Now, take what people are saying - botting and account sharing. If you do these, it's clear you're most likely doing it and playing by yourself. That means Random BGs with a bunch of strangers, and 4 hour Long AVs that end up giving little to no honor.

With that, you're never, ever out-honoring people who stomp BGs in 10/15 man Squads for hours. The honor gained for winning was significantly higher than just participating.

At the time, I raided. I slept a lot more than I currently do. I didn't study or work, but that means I would spam BGS for like 8 hours a day, in a full premade. I never account shared. I out-honored an account sharing guy in my realm by so much that my entire GROUP had the Honor standings for the week from 1 to 8.

The old PvP grind involved, actually, a lot of in-server cooperation. Taking turns. If I know some other person is on his last week of the Grind, and he's part of my group, it's in my best interest to deliberately get a lower standing than him this week, so he finishes and I get to have the highest standing for next week. If not for cut-throat competition between different groups, all the Honor groups had to farm was enough to be above the solo-queueing account sharing douchebag, which wasn't even very hard. Once you started running 100% premades from week to week, you'd stalk the other server standings and it WAS 100% PEOPLE IN OTHER FARMING GROUPS.

The brutality of the grind really was to stay above other groups. At the time, the major complain was how you actually competed against your own faction for these standings, instead of cooperating with them. And that's true. You'd cooperate with a few other PvPers on their grind, and basically hate everyone else.

Small population realms had a much easier time cooperating to get the ranks simply because of the volume of people participating.
    Depends a lot of other groups of your faction and other competitors at a time, can be easier or harder because of that. Our only soloq player with 24/7 got to 13th rank since it was unrealistic to go further for him. On our realm Frostmourne US wasnt possible to get in top 5 with 8 hours a day for sure, at least at a time i was pushing to 14th, had to play with my brother in shifts to be able to secure the 1st standing on all weeks from 13 to 14 rank, but ye the agreements between players were there for sure, for example the next High Warlord after me was the hunter which was getting the 2nd spot and barely lower honor per week because, was no sense to compete between each other since we were in 1 premade.

just get like 30 ppl together on the server and figure out who gets it

after you get it once i doubt you would want it again

I don't mind the rank 14 coming back as it was, but I really doubt I'll have the time to do it this time around.
    Which is fine, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxotron View Post
    It wasn't few weeks , from 13th rank to 14th is purely 4-5 weeks of 1st standing, after getting 14 you watch on all previous ones as ez. But ye i think the main issues was that you couldnt take a break or even day off on the latest ranks.
    It depended on the server pop/activity I think but that number sounds more correct. I remember the first time they had the free server transfer, people who moved there got to rank 8-10 in their first week just BGing a few times cause the server was empty.

Deleted
    I reject your premise that it was entirely based on time invested.

I got Grand Marshal playing 16 hours a day, every day for six weeks to rank from Commander.

I played against a Tauran warrior who was literally on 24/7 - three people playing the same account.

How is it that I got Grand Marshal and he never got above Warlord?

Because I was a better team leader.
    My battleground tactics were better.
    I invested heavily in making my paladin the best flag carrier possible (100 fire/frost/arcane resistance and 60 nature/shadow which completely negated 3 min mages).

Note: I never account shared or botted and I refused to ever let my team dodge a match or surrender if losing. I played fair all the way to the end.

Grand Marshal was a monumental investment in time, no doubt, but it wasn't just about time invested.
    Jeez somebody really needed an ego stroke. Good job Grand Marshal. Maybe the Horde guy had more fierce competition in his faction, though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grungrungrun View Post
    Jeez somebody really needed an ego stroke. Good job Grand Marshal. Maybe the Horde guy had more fierce competition in his faction, though
    As I already mentioned, my server was heavily Alliance biased.

But thanks... please also pat me on the head and call me a good boy.
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Bolded the important part here. You don't matter. I much rather have the original classic when they first are gonna put it back in use, than some remade shit made casual friendly. I want most people to quit it after two weeks, so we don't have people with your attitude sticking around.
    Well got a surprise for you: you dont either. So dont go strolling around like youre the one with the more valuable opinion on how it should be

Or dwarf rogue who can take off blind.

“I want Vanilla WoW with warts and flaws and all, except for the warts and flaws and all.”

Seriously, you guys are worse than Star Wars fans at this point. Never satisfied, and armed to the teeth with ways to make the “perfect” WoW experience better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Or dwarf rogue who can take off blind.
    Oh yes, Stoneskin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    Semantics. I shoot down bad suggestions in a humourous manner which by some may be seen as trollish. I guess the difference is slim.
    You have no authority over whats a bad suggestion, tho. Youre just a random internet troll with a blown up ego

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric75 View Post
    “I want Vanilla WoW with warts and flaws and all, except for the warts and flaws and all.”

Seriously, you guys are worse than Star Wars fans at this point. Never satisfied, and armed to the teeth with ways the “perfect” WoW experience better.
    I made a simple suggestion and your deranged mind automatically paints me as a constantly unhappy perma-whiner. I guess you have some issues to sort out for yourself before calling others names.

I reject your premise that it was entirely based on time invested.

I got Grand Marshal playing 16 hours a day, every day for six weeks to rank from Commander.

I played against a Tauran warrior who was literally on 24/7 - three people playing the same account.

How is it that I got Grand Marshal and he never got above Warlord?

Because I was a better team leader.
    My battleground tactics were better.
    I invested heavily in making my paladin the best flag carrier possible (100 fire/frost/arcane resistance and 60 nature/shadow which completely negated 3 min mages).

Note: I never account shared or botted and I refused to ever let my team dodge a match or surrender if losing. I played fair all the way to the end.

Grand Marshal was a monumental investment in time, no doubt, but it wasn't just about time invested.
    I want to question this information since:
    1) you can't physcally get from commander to grand marshal in 6 weeks.
    2) Paladin as tank was bad in pvp as well, since you didnt have access to normal gear, in pvp gear you didnt have that much hp as well so weird as hell, especialy if consider you go for resistance gear as well (even more weird)
    3) Since you clearly have weird understanding of how resistance worked, 100 won't do much against mages or any other casters, the threshold you have to get was 150 to feel the real difference, otherwise it is pointless to stack resistance, your aura with +60 would be the same as 100 pretty much, only if you didnt have 100 and plus arua, so 160, then it would make the difference but in such gear you would be a dead meat to any melee or caster with other school of magic.
    But with other stuff in the post i can agree on.

15+ Year Old Account
    I still want my pat on the head, Grungrungrun.

Please, my fragile ego cries for recognition.

I want to question this information since:
    1) you can't physcally get from commander to grand marshal in 6 weeks.
    2) Paladin as tank was bad in pvp as well, since you didnt have access to normal gear, in pvp gear you didnt have that much hp as well so weird as hell, especialy if consider you go for resistance gear as well (even more weird)
    3) Since you clearly have weird understanding of how resistance worked, 100 won't do much against mages or any other casters, the threshold you have to get was 150 to feel the real difference, otherwise it is pointless to stack resistance, your aura with +60 would be the same as 100 pretty much, only if you didnt have 100 and plus arua, so 160, then it would make the difference but in such gear you would be a dead meat to any melee or caster with other school of magic.
    But with other stuff in the post i can agree on.
    1. The experience is inexorably branded into my memory, it was entirely possible with a well coordinated PvP team.
    2. I wasn't a tank, I was Retribution spec.
    My gear was designed specifically to mitigate the most common tactic used by premade groups:
    PvE geared 3 minute PoM/Pyro mages with Berserker buff.
    3. 100 resistance was enough to cause most spells to be at least partial resist and often full resist.
    This was enough to prevent the initial PoM/Pyro/Fireblast burst from oneshotting me.
    The important thing was having 100 of each school fully buffed since we could never guarantee what the other team would be running (PoM / Pyro mage, Ruin warlocks or PvE geared Elemental shamans).
    Don't exactly remember what my gear was, I do remember the obvious resistance from Mark of the Wild, the +10 resistance from Cow Kings Leather and a few AQ40 pieces to bump up nature resistance.
    Last edited by Hottage; 2017-11-21 at 01:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    It's just going to be a lot of account sharing and botting.
    Hopefully the inclusion of modern anti-cheat tech and detection of common account sharing signals will severely mitigate this plague.